Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sure. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It's rare; but it does occur.

Volourn said:
Sure. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It's rare; but it does occur.

Here it is, at least what I was referring to:

Posted 04/18/07 17:57 (GMT) by Chris Priestly
Lets see here a real answer. No you do not "take over" the party member and use their abilities. As squad leader you do 3rd party tactical control in situation (liek having them advance, move to a certain point, act aggressively/defensively, etc). But you do not take direct control over the person as in "stepping into their body" and using their weapons or whatever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hmm... If that's quote accurate and knowing Mr. priestly as I do (l0l), it likely is; I completely misread earlier discriptions of the combat model. Hmph.

Kudos to you.

Sporty - 1

Volourn - 0

Spazmo

Erudite
Other concerns about the game aside, I really hate the idea of this "mass effect" stuff. I don't mind them having some magic analogue in their setting. That's their prerogative. But "mass effect" is GRAVITY. Everyone causes is because we have mass. I suppose they could whip up some pseudophysical technobabble about how mass effecters just bend spacetime much like actual mass is thought to to cause wacky spell-like effects, but it still just sounds stupid to me.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Volourn said:
You heard wrong. DA was never due before ME. I cna't recall which was actaully announced first though. I think they got announced rather close to each other, IIRC. I think DA was first as BIO says they purposefully announced it really, really early in (pre) development. They spent an entiure with basically just the writers/designers just working on back history for the world let alone the actual game. That should tell ya somethin'.

You are a LIAR and a bad one may I add. Dragon Age was announced spring 2004 and ME in Fall 2005. Why ME was hyped and released sooner is quite simple . Bio priorities is the consoles and they announced DA early (a decision now they surely regret) just to appease the Baldur's Gate diehards and before they decide to dumb the game down. The other reason is that Bio changed completely the original engine/gameplay to match the modern day Obivion-like standards. Search the net for the initial screenshots of 2004 and look for the more recent update in computerandvideogames. Yes the first screens show a game with NWN like perspective (only much better looking ) where you could control the party members. The new dumbed down version of the game ones show an oblivion like game which you don't have direct control party members.

Instead of trying to be a smartass all the time try to think first based on actual info. It might work even for you.

Now I wish you a quick recovery.

The Feral Kid

elander_

Arbiter
Volourn lures another victim to register the codex to answer him. It won't take you too much time to regret it.

The Feral Kid said:
The new dumbed down version of the game ones show an oblivion like game which you don't have direct control party members.
Actually the "new" version shows a more behind the back third person perspective, which it is. But during combat it is the usual Baldur's Gate/NWN perspective, in which you do control your characters.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You are a LIAR and a bad one may I add."

Nope. You are.

" Dragon Age was announced spring 2004 and ME in Fall 2005."

Except I never disputed the fact that DA was announced, moron. Better read my initial post again.

" Why ME was hyped and released sooner is quite simple ."

Sure, yet, you still don't know what you are talkin' about.

" Bio priorities is the consoles"

Bullshit. Their uber attention to NWN disproves this theory. Their hand held game disproves this. DA disproves this. The MMORPG which is likely to be at leats part PC disproves this. Why do you lie?

"and they announced DA early (a decision now they surely regret) just to appease the Baldur's Gate diehards and before they decide to dumb the game down."

Only half true.

"The other reason is that Bio changed completely the original engine/gameplay to match the modern day Obivion-like standards."

You are stupid.

"Search the net for the initial screenshots of 2004 and look for the more recent update in computerandvideogames. Yes the first screens show a game with NWN like perspective (only much better looking ) where you could control the party members. The new dumbed down version of the game ones show an oblivion like game which you don't have direct control party members."

You talkin' DA or ME? If DA, you have direct control of your companions. Do you even know what you are fuckin' talk about? I was provenw rong about ME on this issue; but DA I'm not gonna be espicially not by the likes of you. Sporty actually has some brains. You, obviously, do not.

"The Feral Kid"

Who?

"Volourn lures another victim to register the codex to answer him. It won't take you too much time to regret it."

One can only hope.

R00fles!

The Feral Kid

Prophet
"Nope You'are" - Nothing
"Only half tru" - Nothing
"You are stupid" -Nothing
"Bullshit" - Bla bla bla

I'm sure all the 13 year olds are impressed now. Older than that - Try harder.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:
"Nope You'are" - Nothing
"Bullshit" - Bla bla bla

I'm sure all the 13 year olds are impressed now. Older than that - Try harder.
Don't worry, you'll get used to him.

The Feral Kid said:
"Nope You'are" - Nothing
"Bullshit" - Bla bla bla
At least "Stop the bullshit, start the truth" or whatever it was, wasn't included this time.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
The Feral Kid said:
You are a LIAR and a bad one may I add. Dragon Age was announced spring 2004 and ME in Fall 2005. Why ME was hyped and released sooner is quite simple . Bio priorities is the consoles and they announced DA early (a decision now they surely regret) just to appease the Baldur's Gate diehards and before they decide to dumb the game down. The other reason is that Bio changed completely the original engine/gameplay to match the modern day Obivion-like standards. Search the net for the initial screenshots of 2004 and look for the more recent update in computerandvideogames. Yes the first screens show a game with NWN like perspective (only much better looking ) where you could control the party members. The new dumbed down version of the game ones show an oblivion like game which you don't have direct control party members.

Instead of trying to be a smartass all the time try to think first based on actual info. It might work even for you.

Now I wish you a quick recovery.

Hmm. Not that I defend Volourn as a habit, but:

a) the "initial screenshots" you point out were for a demo of concept only, which was shown at E3 that year. The new engine was always intended to be the one we used, and currently is only partially-built.

b) you do indeed have direct control of your party members. As has been mentioned, the perspective shifts during combat. This has always bee the plan, and we've said so many times.

c) Mass Effect was announced further in development, but was always intended to be released first. We announced Dragon Age earlier to assure our PC audience that we did indeed have something for them, but this is hardly "dumbed down" ...many of our plans have changed since that initial announcement, but our intended gameplay and engine have not.

Instead of being a smartass by trying to score some points off of an easy target like Volourn and making assumptions based off of old screenshots, try to think first based on actual info.

It might even work for you.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Very flattered to have caused response by a Bio dev on my first post...

But what happened to the BG successor marketing tag back in 2004 which now slowly but steadily has been withdrawn...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, it hasn't. DA was always the 'successor' to BG, NWN, and KOTOR. L0L That was never withdrawn.

P.S. Feral Kid, in a roundabout way, admits he was trolling for a Gaider response. HAHAHA!

P.S.S. It's also netao to see your demeanor towards BIO chnage 'sneakily'. HAHAHA! You seem intimidated by Mr. gaider's dev tag.

L0L0L0L0LLIPOP

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Annonchinil said:
I am confused, Is there going to be stealth and diplomatic skills in ME?

Yes but no.

They will be there, but together with melee and weapons skills they will be merged into the "kill stuff" skill.
Oh wait, wrong game :oops:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yes, there will be dialogue skills in ME. Not 100% sure about stealth; but wouldn't be surprised if there is.

"Run out of decaf again Volly?"

Coffee is for wussies.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Dragon Age was announced like five years ago. I know I saw screenshots for DA way before I even heard about Mass Effect.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Dragon Age was announced like five years ago."

Nah. That would mean it was announced the same year NWN was released. That isn't the case. Stop the exaggeration.

"Why can't you just die of cancer or choke on a dick?"

a) Cancer is too pussified to kill me. I laugh it off.

b) The women I like don't have dick unlike the ones you like.

R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom