Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bill Roper tit for tat at Play

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Bill Roper; Flagship Studios; Hellgate: London

Play has an <a href=http://play.tm/story/10612>interview with Bill Roper</a>, CEO for <a href=http://www.flagshipstudios.com/>Flagship Studios</a>, about their upcoming debut game <a href=http://www.hellgatelondon.com/>Hellgate: London</a>. It's a light and quick reading that focuses on some of the more relevant aspects of the FPS/RPG hybrid with roguelike undertows. Here's a bit about item modifications:<blockquote><b>The number of available weapons is comparatively limited at 20 or so in terms of modern RPG's. Much has been made of how each weapon will feel completely different, how is this implemented?</b>
<br>
<br>
Hellgate: London has a great mix of technology and magic, meaning there are everything from high-tech guns to flaming swords to magical devices. Characters also have a variety of skills and spells to call upon, so there is really a wide variety of ways for players to hunt down demons. We've created over 100 basic weapon types for the game, and then layered on all of the randomization, customization and rarity elements. This means that there are literally millions of possible combinations in terms of what weaponry you have to play with.
<br>
<br>
One thing that's really fun to play with is the whole "Mod" idea. Basically, when an item is dynamically generated, there is a chance that it will have slots on it that different Mods (modifications) can fit into. These Mods, which are also randomly created and gathered by players during the course of adventuring, can alter or enhance the effects of the weapons they attach onto. They also change the look of the weapon, as well as the effects of the weapon (muzzle flash, hits, and special effects) so that other players can see what you've done to your gear!</blockquote>Regardless of the whole <i>"dig my threads, mofo"</i> stuff geared at online communities, the item customization sounds nice.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://play.tm/">Play</A>

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Again, since when is hellgate london an rpg or even claim to be one?

Please put this news item in retardoland, where it belongs.

Even if its an Action-Roleplaying Game, it is at least not a dumbed down one.
// Does this make any sense?

I hope it will be as fun as Diablo 2 or even more. :cool:

Texas Red

Whiner
SimpleComplexity said:

There can exist a not a dumbed down ARPG. It would actually involve tactical party combat instead of meaningless clicking :?.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Yeah, but I don't event hink it's an action rpg, just a shooter that also has swords and spells.

Doom had hitpoints. I don't think that makes it an action rpg.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Jim Kata said:
Again, since when is hellgate london an rpg or even claim to be one?

Bill Roper said:
Hellgate: London is first and foremost an RPG. The Templar and Cabalist factions represent this to the greatest degree. The Hunter, while still being rooted in RPG play mechanics, is the most hybrid of the factions. For FPS fans, Hunters are going to be very appealing since they will require a level of personal ability / dexterity, but still firmly rooted in the RPG elements of levels, skills, spells and equipment representing the biggest degrees of scaling. The goal was not to make a "twitch-based" RPG, but rather an action RPG that occasionally blends in the compelling elements of the FPS genre.

Have a problem with how Roper categorizes Hellgate: London? Take it to him. Have a problem with action RPGs being covered by the Codex, or with the Codex covering the likes of Hellgate: London, Diablo and Sacred? Take it to Vault Dweller.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
SimpleComplexity said:

MUHAHAHAHAH! You must be kiddin'.

I can't think of anything more "dumbed down" than Shitgate:London.

Seriously, I think there is not one ACRPG in development that is as retarded as this pile of shit. I think that this stupid shooter for teh 1337 play0rz is a new low point in the genre.

aboyd

Liturgist
If a company calls their product an RPG (or CRPG or ARPG or JRPG) then I think it's fair for the Codex to cover it. I also think it's fair for the Codex or its members to savage the product if it doesn't live up to a decent standard.

That said, I would add that I have no problem at all with action RPGs if they are described accurately. I went into Diablo 2 and FATE knowing full well that they were simple click-fests. But I loved the skill trees and weaponery. It was a pack-rat's dream, with all the collecting (especially after the expansion pack expanded the amount of storage space for your loot). So, OK. Market them accurately. Make sure people know what they're getting into. If they know, then it seems like the Codex has done all it needs to do.

of course i was kidding. * ehem* ...

who would play this action roleplaying game, which offers so much weapons and items also played from Egoview, so some people who liked Serious Sam 2, can be served on a "higher" level, and after coming home from work/school or whateva, who would dare to play this dumbed down ActionRolePlaying Game just for killing some stupid monsters ? Me, not. ...

Seriously not sir... :shock: It looks so good.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Bill Roper: tat my tits and play with them

1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom