Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

St. Toxic

Arcane
7 minutes? What the shit, it should be 99% of the game. Daylight should feel like freedom to a prisoner in Auschwitz right before they're plunged into Gulag.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First impression is bad. The game is optimized like my ass, drops from 50 fps to 15 fps. Outside is no-go for me and currently I'm looking for some tweaks.

Don't even bother to pirate this if you don't have a beafy desktop. And even if you have, Radeon owners are fucked.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I just tried it on a Radeon and it seems alright. I only tried a few invasions though, and the only framedrops had to do with being sprayed with UV and next to burning cars; I guess NVIDA HDR or w/e is badly optimized.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well I gave in to the decline and Russian'ed this via a loophole for $10. Hell, it's what I would have paid for it two years from now. Other than trying to get the Be The Zombie mode to work I haven't played. Can't connect to invade anyone in multiplayer.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dead Island had issues with level scaling, weapons breaking too fast (because of level scaling some zombies took tons of hits), and guns being pathetic. Shooting zombies felt like attacking a tank with a staple gun. Does Dying Light handle any of these things better?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How is the gun play?
And where can I get this from Russian for $10?
You have to know a Russian who doesn't own the game. Loophole only works if someone buys a four pack and direct gifts the extras.

N-E-wayz... Played a bit more, here are some thoughts.

At least through the prologue and the first hour or so of sidequests the game plays more like Mirror's Edge than Dead Island. That is, you're so weak that you're running and climbing 90% of the time because you stand zero chance against more than two or three zombies -- stamina in combat drains extremely fast. Weapons do indeed break pretty fast. The itemization system is the same: you scavenge parts and build stuff. The quests are of the same MMO variety. Gunplay, no clue since I haven't even found a gun.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
main theme is pretty gud

So i'm playing it on my beefy PC with latest nvidia drivers for dying light on highest settings and geam runs butter smooth, so far i'm liking it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
First impression is bad. The game is optimized like my ass, drops from 50 fps to 15 fps. Outside is no-go for me and currently I'm looking for some tweaks.

Don't even bother to pirate this if you don't have a beafy desktop. And even if you have, Radeon owners are fucked.

Pretty much this. I had to drop everything to Low, set the game to use all 4 CPU cores in CPU-Control and then set the priority to High in task manager and now it runs smooth. I think this game simply does not like AMD cards. As usual.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Set view distance to zero. You will be surprised at framerate increase and the visuals won't change nearly as much as you think.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
View Distance is indeed the big resource hog on this one and it's barely noticeable. Well... it's noticeable but it's really not important. Not like you need to see high detail on buildings that are far off in the distance. With a 770 card I set mine to 40%ish and dropped shadow mapping to medium. Of course turned off shit like motion blur and depth of field, too.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
FoV also helps, oddly enough. Dropping mine to 85 increased my frames.

Typical horribly optimized garbage.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Played for a few hours.

The game goes from one extreme to the other: you are the hunter during the day but a prey during the night. Night is hectic, day is boring although human opponents are somewhat challenging during the day.

Weapons are breaking too fast but this is not really a problem as they can be replaced without much effort. Weapon upgrades are a little bit hard to come by but they can also be hoarded. As for guns, I have bullets but no gun.

Day-night cycle works as expected: it did not wait for 1h but the night takes more than 7 minutes. Making noise during the day will attract agile zombies, making noise in the night is suicide.

Also the games kind of cheats during the night cause the most dangerous zombies are spawned near the player. And they fucking sense you from a mile.

The variety of zombies is limited and some of them are crap like for example the big damage sponges: takes 30+ seconds and 20 hits to kill one. They can be killed faster with explosive canisters but I simply hate them.

Anyway, I'm most disappointed by the story. It's not bad per se but there are not enough interesting quests. Everything escalates like crazy after 4-5 quests.

I've encountered at least one retarded plot moment and the rest was serviceable. They thought that the gameplay is solid enough to carry the entire game but I don't think it suffice.

Also the world becomes too familiar after a while: survivor encounters cover the same templates, airdrops are placed in the same locations and so on.

Nevertheless the game has some special moments: like being in a tunnel during the night. It's on par with the underground lab levels from Stalker.

Almost forgot to mention that the game has auto-save (retarded) and that the performance is not great (the game is GPU limited).

I still have to play but I cannot recommend it. Killing zombies becomes boring pretty fast and the game is simply not fun enough to warrant a full price. 10/20 Euro most likely. Metro is better compared to this.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Pretty much this. I had to drop everything to Low, set the game to use all 4 CPU cores in CPU-Control and then set the priority to High in task manager and now it runs smooth. I think this game simply does not like AMD cards. As usual.

The game is GPU limited: it uses only one core and the rest are like 5%. And yes, it is optimized for nVidia which we all know what it means.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anyone know any ini tweaks to turn off shit like godrays/glare? And even if you turn off motion blur there's still some leftover shit when you run. Oversaturated with shitty post processing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
what kind of shit anciet pcs u run. I got a i7 3,5ghz 16gb ram and a gtx 770 4gb and i run everything maxed out, problem?

Luzur

Good Sir
I commented on some youtube vid once on how retarded it seemed with leveled weaponry in Dead Island, like a lvl 1 Beretta couldnt hit a fucking zombie laying on the ground infront of you even if you put the gun to his head and broke within 3 shots, while the same Beretta at lvl 5 could atleast headshot, maybe once in a while but still broke but in 4-5 shots instead.

Branm

Learned

Hmmm I don't think its that bad....I leeched the game....It runs much better than for instance Satellite Reign ....Getting on average like 25-38 FPS on a laptop i7, 12gb ram, gtx 675m. I wouldnt buy it at 60 friggin bucks though....Honestly I was expecting performance to be much worse...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
what kind of shit anciet pcs u run. I got a i7 3,5ghz 16gb ram and a gtx 770 4gb and i run everything maxed out, problem?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 770, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Driver Version 9.18.13.4725
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Most of the games work without fucking around. This one has huge fps drops.

Problem was somewhat mitigated after I've disabled SSAO/HBAO and reduced rendering distance.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I commented on some youtube vid once on how retarded it seemed with leveled weaponry in Dead Island, like a lvl 1 Beretta couldnt hit a fucking zombie laying on the ground infront of you even if you put the gun to his head and broke within 3 shots, while the same Beretta at lvl 5 could atleast headshot, maybe once in a while but still broke but in 4-5 shots instead.
Similarly you do piss for damage early on. Common shambling zombies take multiple around half a dozen hits to bring down... even with blows to the head. Combat is hilariously tedious. Maybe it'll get better.

Luzur

Good Sir
Similarly you do piss for damage early on. Common shambling zombies take multiple around half a dozen hits to bring down... even with blows to the head. Combat is hilariously tedious. Maybe it'll get better.

Well still suck for immersion, bro, a gun is still a gun, i could believe in shoddy ammo but a gun not doing the damage it was designed to do is not very cool.

Machocruz

Arcane
I watched a Twitch video of this. Can someone explain to me what the point is of a crafting meter when you are in a pause window? What's the point of crafting taking up time if you are completely safe from attack i.e. time isn't a resource or a balance of risk-reward to be managed like in Cataclysm and Zomboid? And it looks like there is a lockpicking mini game that you can fail at and lose lockpicks. Is there a character skill in the game for that? Can you be attacked while lockpicking? I mean, it looks like mixtape game where they've assembled features from other popular games because those games are popular, rather than design holistically for what is best for their foundation concept. That doesn't necessarily make a bad game, I'm just wondering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom