Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You got him right where you want him. Avoid playing 'casual' mode. Unless you tank your MMR you're going to be playing against veterans who just do it for easy wins. People still farm rank 20ish but not as much as casual. Especially not towards the end of the month/season.

You can add me if you want, Metro#1494 -- I can make some basic decks and play a few games against you.

Also, while Trump isn't the best player he compiled some basic decks that are a good place to start: https://sites.google.com/site/trumpdecks/basicdecks

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
0pkXkiw.jpg

Concede button exists for a reason ;)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Concede button exists for a reason ;)

I was mostly just interested in seeing what cards he would dole out. He let me live for awhile, just rolling legendary cards in and out. Was actually pretty funny. I eventually committed suicide by arming the hero and attacking.

So far, I've only really played Warrior, Paladin, and Rogue. I'm already 2-0 as a Rogue, which makes it an infinitely better start than the other two.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mage is probably the easiest class for new players because of their targeted hero ability.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I won 5 straight as the Rogue. Proud of myself. And I did it in the manner with which I normally lose: by steamroll.

Zeriel

Arcane
Drafting...

4 Flame Imps. 4 Power Overwhelmings. I have no idea what the hell this is, but it's going to be trolly as fuck.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
realtalk though, if you kids want to actually git gud at GVG arena instead of crying about it, this guy is absolutely insane at it. I'm surprised he's so unknown considering how good he is and how often he streams. Likely because he's very subdued, has a dark sense of humor, and is incredibly real/honest instead of putting on a big hammy act like Amaz and friends.
Ok, watched a few of his videos. I wouldn't express surprise he's not well known, he's just not engaging. You don't have to be hammy, you just have to be engaging, and his presentation tends to be really dull.

He is good but "absolutely insane" he's not. His hunter winrate (though those stats may be out of date) is off the charts because of his fairly unique "don't try to play control with a non-control class" philosophy, which I copied for my latest hunter arena and went an acceptable 5-3, so I might adopt that for "yolo classes" (Hunter, Warlock, Rogue, Warrior). But his Paladin winrate is barely higher than mine coz his yolo style doesn't work with it. I mean he's still better than me and probably than Trump until Trump finally figures out GvG arena.

(I'm still trying to push my average over 5 wins per arena, haha)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Glad they're nerfing Undertaker. The cancer was getting a bit strong.

He is, in fact, absolutely insane at GVG. Notice how he hasn't bothered updating that lulzy stats site in over a month. You are comparing your stats to, for the most part, his pre GVG arena'ing. He went from good to insane in the new environment. Even before then, overall he was still actually infinite (he has videos of opening 100+ saved packs just from chaining arenas, he doesn't play constructed or spend money)
All the stats on that page are post-GvG, he tracked for a while after GvG launch. If he's still tracking I'd love to see it, maybe he figured it out and leaped since that tracking, but those stats don't point to an insane player, just a really good one. Statistical tracking is way more accurate than just impressions from watching, that's why those kind of stats sites are important to use if you want to seriously analyze your own or others' play.

All good streamers have videos of opening hundreds of packs just from chaining arenas. You don't need a super-high average to be able to do that, you just need to play a lot.

But yes, it's nice that he explains himself so much.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'd agree he's absolutely best I've ever seen with yolo classes. He doesn't look above the good-streamer-average on any control class. Good but not exceptional.

Oh one amusing thing I'll note from watching him is that he's often chuckling about opponent's terrible plays, not just on EU server, haha. #EuropeanButthurtForever

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, I think the Undertaker Nerf should have made it like Cogmaster: gains 2 attack when a deathrattle card is present (Cogmaster is triggered by a mech). Yes the nerf to health is going to make it easier to kill but still going to get way too much value in trade for a 1 drop.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mech-hunter was already starting to pop up as a spicy deck though the standard version still used Undertaker. Mechmage never needed Undertaker and neither does Mech-hunter, it just removes some of that "oh he played Undertaker into turn two leper leper, guess I lost" auto-wincondition, but they still have plenty of winconditions left. They'll both still be there. But less, and that's probably for the best.

Yeah, like I said, the best GVG arena player out there that's regularly streaming to my knowledge. There are no control classes anymore, other than getting lucky in your draft as Mage
I don't think that's true. And furthermore if you pick say Pally or Priest you're just not going to out-aggro your opponent (unless you draft the correct zerg type for Pally). Watching Ratsmah play those he plays them pretty controlly as well.

I'm still having good runs with control decks. 10-3 with a priest a bit ago. You just have to play the board more aggressively.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I dunno if that style of play was ever really a thing other than for mage, and if it was I'm pretty sure it did before Naxx rather than before GvG. Mage drafts have gotten "harder" now that there's more cards to decrease the frequency of the common powercards though. But yes, I think we may mean the same thing when you say "aggro" or rather "tempo" and I say "more aggressive board control".

On the nerf topic, I'm somewhat curious how they'll nerf Dr Boom. My guess would be the Bomb effects can target any random target, rather than just enemy targets. That should be good enough.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, and "every deck plays XXX" has long been the guarantee of a nerf incoming. Blizzard hates it when that happens. See 5-mana Sylvanas for example.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shitty reason to nerf Boom. It's more a design issue in that there are few good (non class specific) 7 drops, particularly legendaries. Geddon is niche and Troggderp fell out of favor fairly quickly.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
not to mention that dr boom is just some non-elite scrub no-one remembers from WoW. doesn't deserve to be as good as it is.

Zeriel

Arcane
Shitty reason to nerf Boom. It's more a design issue in that there are few good (non class specific) 7 drops, particularly legendaries. Geddon is niche and Troggderp fell out of favor fairly quickly.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that the 7 slot is very lacking right now overall, but on the other hand, I do think that Boom is flat out ridiculous and is single-handedly warping things more than any other legendary

I wasn't going to say anything, but ditto. He's especially potent as a 7 drop, but I'd run him as pretty much any mana cost equivelant of his current version. A 5/5 with 2 bombs for 5 mana? Sure, why not. A 3/3? Yep, still worth it.

Actually, in some ways, he's at his least ridiculous as a 7/7 because he can be counter-teched, imagine if he was a 6/6 for 6, there would be no fucking out whatsoever.

Grinolf

Arcane
Undertaker was definitely the most hated naxx card and it times he is just ridiculous, but I considered him just second the most powerfull naxx card after Mad Scientisc, as 2/2 for 2 draw a specific card a play it for free looks much more ridiculous to me. And disadvantage of that card to be not optimal for current board situation isn't that relevant in the early game when opposite player can't often effectively play around various traps without screwing himself in tempo. 2/1 like Loot Hoarder would probably made much more sence, but it doesn't appear that Blizzard going to change him.

Zeriel

Arcane
Truth be told, I never felt Undertaker to be that bad. Sure, it very occasionally creates unwinnable situations, but in terms of my overall games those were always such extreme edgecases. Nerubian Egg, Mad Scientist, Haunted Creeper, those are all so much worse to deal with. Nerubian Egg & Haunted Creeper alone are the only reason aggro has been such a consistent part of the meta, they mean you can never really clear the board in one go.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
not to mention that dr boom is just some non-elite scrub no-one remembers from WoW. doesn't deserve to be as good as it is.
He might have been non elite but, at the time of TBC, his health pool was insanely high because of the nature of the quest (you had to kill him with bombs). So much so that people would use him as a raid DPS target dummy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom