Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gary Grigsby's War in the West coming December

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: 2by3games; Gary Grigsby's War in the West; Matrix Games

t20130904030027.jpg
t20130904030016.jpg
t20130904030003.jpg

Gary Grigsby's War in the West will be released in early December.

Matrix Games touts this as the most ambitious and detailed simulation of the Western Front in WWII ever made and will feature 3 main campaigns and 7 smaller ones.

· 1943 Campaign - 109 turns

· 1944 Campaign (May Start) – 64 turns

· 1944 Campaign (D-Day Start) – 62 turns

· Air Campaign – 4 turns

· Operation Husky – 7 turns

· Salerno to Rome 43-44 (starting with Operation Avalanche)– 42 turns/multiplayer only

· Battleground Italy – 95 turns

· Breakout and Pursuit (starting with Operation Cobra) – 11 turns

· Westwall (starting with Operation Market Garden) – 12 turns

· Bulge to the Rhine (starting with The Battle of the Bulge) –12 turns

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh sweet.

Except I already have TOAW3 so Matrix better make it really clear how this would be an improvement. But there won't be a demo and the game will be ridiculously priced instead.

Comte

any dexfags play this yet? another quality game from grigsby?

I own it and have played it. It is a step up from WITE BUT It play's much differently as the Western Allies do not have the experience that the battle hardened Axis troops have. So the ground war takes much longer to progress. The Air war is more fleshed out then WITE. It gives you a unique perspective of what the Allied army's faced when planning amphibious invasion. As if you don't take the time to plan your Amphib's will fail as the Axis counterattack's your invasion. The weather system is amazing probably the best weather system I have ever seen in a wargame. There are weather fronts and it will snow in the mountains and rain in the valley's of Italy for example.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm pretty sure I don't want to shell out £60 for this. Since TOAW3 still runs nicely. Especially as there is no demo, as always.

Comte does the AI offer more of a challenge than in TOAW3? The only problem with that game is that the AI is quite limited in what "tricks" it knows.

Comte

I'm pretty sure I don't want to shell out £60 for this. Since TOAW3 still runs nicely. Especially as there is no demo, as always.

Comte does the AI offer more of a challenge than in TOAW3? The only problem with that game is that the AI is quite limited in what "tricks" it knows.

The AI from what I have seen is good if your playing as the Western Allies but it's horrible if your playing as the Axis. I have read on the forums that people playing as the Axis haven't seen the WA invade France or Italy. The developers claim they are going to fix it in the upcoming patch. The game still has some kinks that need to be worked out. It is very expensive and I hate how they don't give demo's for their super expensive games. I went with the download only option even though it would have been cool to have that hardback manual. I would only recommend getting this game if your are really interested in the Western front of WW2. Also one final thing the naval part of the game is abstracted this will be added in a future game apparently as the plan is for all the games to combine and make War in Europe. Which would be probably the biggest monster computer war game of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom