Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wasteland 2-osh bit starts at ~3:00. Though it's really more like the Redding theme from Fallout 2.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Old news. Though I didn't know Morgan had the time or inclination to respond to random youtube posters. :?

Arsene Lupin

Novice
I've had beta access to WL2 from the beginning, but only recently (2015) started actually playing the game. I figure InXile has so much on their plate they're not likely to do any significant content or stability updates any time soon. I have to say, while I'm enjoying the game (20 hours in, currently working through the Canyon) its very disappointing to me to just how many aspects of the game haven't improved since the first beta build--or have even gotten worse. My basic impressions in a simple +/- format:

+Love the dialog system and UI, but the "write your own keyword" functionality seems kind of pointless since it will only recognize the words played out in the UI.
+Love the robot designs. Those chrome spiders with buzzsaws are fantastic.
+The writing is pretty solid.... Everywhere.
-Though many NPCs suffer from excessive verbosity. It really sucks when there are 10 NPCs, each of whom has his or her own unique paragraph(s) of text for a half dozen different keywords.
-Shotgun and melee skills are too pointless. Really wanted to have a badass psycho Ranger wielding a katana or a bastard sword or a chainsaw or something... Instead I get a dinky little knife that rarely hits, and when it does, deals out less damage than a sneeze.
-Just navigating the world is a pain in the ass due to the all/single selection mechanics. Isometric games have been around for decades... I still don't see why they couldn't emulate, you know, every other party-based top-down game and RTS ever made instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
-Moving around the world is also needlessly confusing due to the mini-map's absence. It was in the beta, they removed it in a patch and said they'd reimplement it once they'd improved it, and we never saw it again. I explicably. The few times I've gotten InXile' staff to address this, they've deflected the question by pointing at the existence of the map screen. I smell conspiracy.
-And it should go without saying, but goddamn, the character customization options are still the same as the first beta bukd: ugly as sin and far too limited.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
-Shotgun and melee skills are too pointless. Really wanted to have a badass psycho Ranger wielding a katana or a bastard sword or a chainsaw or something... Instead I get a dinky little knife that rarely hits, and when it does, deals out less damage than a sneeze.
Shotgun was cool at the beginning, but still I remember only a couple of fights where it made a difference. Melee was shit from the start, while it was possible to one-shot with fist weapons even in end-game.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
The main problems with shotguns are the fact that the damage is so weak and that positioning the unit to use the cone effectively eats up way too much AP. In terms of damage-per-turn it seems to be blunt > shotgun > blade.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The main problems with shotguns are the fact that the damage is so weak and that positioning the unit to use the cone effectively eats up way too much AP. In terms of damage-per-turn it seems to be blunt > shotgun > blade.
I was talking about the rare cases where you could get 5-6 guys into the cone - then the AP cost would scale quite well.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
I've never been in that situation. Usually my snipers and AR/SMGs do a pretty good job of thinning the enemies before they come in range.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
According to the inxile resident mouthpieces, shotguns are fine as they are, you are just playing the game wrong.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yes, sea is on the team primarily still focused on Wasteland 2 and has been doing design work on it for some time now. And it's good stuff!

I'm on to Torment now so not as up to speed on WL2, but we'll talk more about our plans in future updates.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I can't figure out whether to start on thursday or wait for the patch. These important life decisions my mother warned me about are really tricky :(

agris

Arcane
Patron
I can't figure out whether to start on thursday or wait for the patch. These important life decisions my mother warned me about are really tricky :(
Wait for their balance patch, you'll be happier you did. Play Xenonauts or NEO: Scavenger instead!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Xenonauts is a dumbed down version of X-COM: Terror From the Deep (although pretty enjoyable in the first quarter) and Neo Scavenger is for masochists

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wait for their balance patch, you'll be happier you did. Play Xenonauts or NEO: Scavenger instead!

Or Blackguards 2! My backlog is full after not having played games for 2 months. However I'd really been looking forward to starting Wasteland 2 (giddy as youngster), and now the balance patch. And on top of that Brother None (or was it sea) said on inXile's forums that while the balance patch is soon(tm) it won't be the major overhaul patch that they thought it would, that one is coming after the balance patch.

So many options. None lead to instant gratification, and there is no awesome button.

EDIT: I already played Xenonauts, and I liked it. Haven't played NEO: Scavenger yet. But Blackguards 2 will probably be the game. BUT I WANT TO PLAY WASTELAND 2 URGH

agris

Arcane
Patron
Heh, despite suggesting both of those I just got onto a random Endless Legends kick and am really enjoying it. And I still need to play Blackguards 1!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Xenonauts is a dumbed down version of X-COM: Terror From the Deep (although pretty enjoyable in the first quarter) and Neo Scavenger is for masochists
In regards to Neo: Scavenger, you should give it a try. Maybe read the dev's "tutorial" in the wiki to familiarize yourself with the game mechanics. Yes, it's all very 21st century and immersion breaking, but once you have a toe-hold into the world and its logic, the game just takes off. If you can get past that initial frustration period, it really is great.

I think there's an AoD analogy in here somewhere.

If you care to read my advice, it's to go with a strong, melee, trapping, tracking and medic character having insomnia, metabolism and myopia as negative traits. I completed the game for my first time with this character, and it got me so familiar with the world, the broad spear and the hunt for containers and vehicles, that it opened up to me the possibilities of the character system. Now I've done a 180 from my that initial survivalist character and am exploring the world and story more through a utility-skill driven character (hacking, mechanics).

It's a good game, and worth the time/money invested.

/shill_mode deactivated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom