Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spreadsheet Grognards required...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
1. http://rpgcodex.net/blackspace/
2. 73,456
3. Shipyard -> Design

The "Begin Construction" won't work but you'll see what you can do when you get there.

(Current) concepts you should know:

A Mass 700 ship (give or take) should be the about the max you really want to build.

You should be able to make about around 5 - 10 trade runs per day. That is about 5 - 10 times you dock at a port to sell stuff and make profit.

Your ship consists of 3 layers of defense. Hull, Armour and Shields.

Shields will actually be equipment modules put into Equipment Ports. Shields always take damage. Their advantage is they regenerate every combat turn (provided you can put enough power into them, various modules will alter that). X size Shields will generate 20,000 worth of Shields, L 10,000, M 5,000 and S 1,000 (per module. So 2x X size shields = 40,000).

Armour has Damage Resistance. This is the amount of damage the armour will resist, of that given damage type.

Hull has Penetration Threshold. That is the penetration value the weapon needs to reach in order to do any damage of that type. Any less and it will bounce off the Hull harmlessly.

Weapons will have Penetration values of 1 - 100. Critical hits will do x3 Penetration and x3 Damage. Some weapons won't crit hit at all, others will have chances as high as 10% - all of which can be modified with various modules. Weapons will do normal damage with values around S 500, M 2,500, L 7,500, X 15,000.

So, if I attack you with 2 X weapons, your Shields are attacked first. Full damage is done to Shields. They regenerate slowly though (maybe 20% per turn, meaning they take 5 "clicks" or turns to reach full charge). Once Shields are gone, I attack your Armour. Armour will have DR, which will reduce the amount of damage they take. Once your Armour is gone, I'm attacking your Hull. Your Hull takes full damage provided your weapons pen. If they don't pen, no damage is done. If I pen with a crit hit, modules will be destroyed (and may explode, taking your ship with them).

Mobility affects to hit chance. Some weapons (turrets) will have better mobility, others rely on your ships. So... A ship Mass 5 encounters a Ship Mass 300. 5 + 300 = 305. 5 / 305 = the 300M ship has a base 1.6% chance to hit the 5M ship. The smaller ship has a 98% chance to hit the big ship. Meaning size matters.​

Questions I'm asking:

1. Given the cost of a 650+ Mass ship, how many trade runs would you need to run and how profitable would those runs need to be ($ per cubit traded), in order to earn enough in a month of play for such a vessel?

2. Given 1, how quickly can I make a smaller vessel that's adequate?

3. Play with Armour / Hull. How much to build an impenetrable ship? Is it too plausible? Is Hull clearly better than Armour or Armour clearly better than Hull?

4. Experiment. Does shit feel right? Does the stated ship Class accurately reflect your choices?​

7zjHnZm.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
As soon as I actually add combat, I'm gonna smash the shit out of you.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Is this kind of Like Elite: Dangerous?
:hmmm:

Elite: Dangerous said:
Early server problems
Two weeks after the relatively smooth launch, problems were encountered by what Frontier called a "relatively small" number of players.[46] These had a major impact on most key gameplay mechanics, with problems including multiple server disconnections, entire cargos being lost, large amounts of money being deleted, goods unable to be sold, scans not functioning, ship customisations and upgrades being deleted, and missing recently purchased ships

Yes.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I see there has been much docking ^_^

muchdocking.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom