Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Game should have had a skirmish option.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, they are all 1280*800 (except for the portraits, those are 40*50), and I see them as such on my end.

What is happening, really? I did not change anything since the last update.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Game should have had a skirmish option.

From what I can gather, there isn't really any AI in this game. Every mission has specific AI that works on ifs and timers. Nothing that could be used in a skirmish type of game. Multiplayer is great thou.

Nevill

Arcane
I use Chrome, Firefox and IE when I am desperate. Never had a problem with them so far.

Anyway, the images are clickable and can be viewed in full resolution that way.

Nevill

Arcane
So holidays finally came and I decided to finish this God-forsaken mission.

Unfortunately, right after I was finally done with it and celebrating the hard-earned victory, I accidentally deleted the folder with all the screenshots. I managed to restore about a half of them after I noticed it, so if there are any inconsistencies between screencaps, that's probably the reason.
Alright, let's roll with the punches. It is clearly too dangerous to go to the designated area when the Arabs may attack at any time, and so we wait until they come to us so that we know for sure the next assault won't happen for at least a short while.

They don't make us wait long.
2015_01_01_230553.jpg

It is absolutely random what you are going to get in any given wave. Flamethrowers are a joke due to me not relying on infantry, but God help you if they get rocket tanks. The range on those things is outrageous, and you can't get to them because of the fucking 10th-lvl-ape-driven self-propelling bomb tanks that instakill your vehicles (or everything, really). :argh:

2015_01_01_230612.jpg

The laser tank is as devastating against vehicles as a heavy gun one, but is useless against buildings and troops. It is lighter and more versatile because the laser turret on the vehicle can actually rotate.

We lose the last of our starting tanks to the concentrated fire from several high-level Arab mechanics, and the laser tank does not look good either. I have to order my soldiers forward...
2015_01_01_230703.jpg

...only to see that the Arabs have reinforced their rocket vehicles with flamethrowers and self-propelled boms. Retreat, retreat!

Two of my mechanics are at death's door.
2015_01_01_230818.jpg

We manage to pinpoint two suicide vehicles with heavy fire moments before they reach my only remaining heavy tank and blow everything up. There was literally a split second difference between survival and total destruction, but we prevailed.

The mop-up is fairly trivial.
2015_01_01_230853.jpg

Not wasting a moment, I fill my cargo vehicle with crates and send it and the building crane - piloted by Hugh Stevens himself! - to where the second base needs to be built. The Siberite Rocket tank is right behind them. Our only hope is our speed.
2015_01_01_231019.jpg

Get to work!
2015_01_01_231852.jpg

Meanwhile, at our base I dismantle the Siberite extensition to the Factory and build a Radar one. We need it to make a vehicle to observe the explosion.
2015_01_01_231943.jpg

I also order the research on making our solar engines more effective, since that's all we have. I don't want our crane running out of power in the most important moment.

Construction in progress...
2015_01_01_222339.jpg

It's not enough to build a Depot and an Armory, we also need to upgrade them. Thankfully, a single crane is easily worth 5 engineers. We are making good time.

Finally, everything is ready:
2015_01_01_222721.jpg

New objectives received:
- Fire the Siberite rocket at the warehouse to test it.- The Siberite rocket must not fall into enemy hands.
New secondary objectives received:
- Place a vehicle with a radar on the top of the northern ridge to monitor the warehouse during the explosion.

All set...
2015_01_01_222942.jpg

...but first we go an extra mile and build a Lab at our test base, then change Hugh's profession back to a scientist. Why? You'll see.
2015_01_01_223337.jpg

The rocket has a 5 seconds animation of firing up its engines before it launches. It is a single use weapon, so once it fires, the vehicle can be safely dismantled. Of course, the game would probably be won by then anyway.

Hugh, get out of the blast range!
2015_01_01_223350.jpg

BOOOO-
2015_01_01_223352.jpg

-OOOOOO-
2015_01_01_223353.jpg

-OOOOM!!!
2015_01_01_223355.jpg

The screenshots do not do the explosion justice. This weapon can easily devastate bases in one shot if targeted directly at the Warehouse.

Stevens.jpg
- God, forgive us.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- No-one wants to use it, Stevens. The threat should be all we need.
Stevens.jpg
- The last phase remains. We must measure radiation levels and take samples.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- No way! Anyone goes out there the radiation’s gonna kill them. You can see the thing works, what more do you need?
Stevens.jpg
- To understand Siberite, not just use it. I’ll take the readings myself.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You do that you’re going to die!
Stevens.jpg
- We need the data.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What a waste of a good mind. Jesus.

New objectives received:
- One scientist must get to the marked area and then return to the Siberite lab.

This is the spot in question:
2015_01_01_223423.jpg

Now, can you imagine my frustration with the game when it told me I need a scientist AFTER I blew up the Warehouse and irradiated the whole area beyond repair? Arrrrgh! :argh:

Thankfully, having to replay the segment due to my fuck-up with the screenshots have provided me with the necessary meta knowledge to build a Lab beforehand. :smug:

So I quickly drop Hugh to where he wants to be, then put him in a vehicle and get going before he falls unconscious.
2015_01_01_223459.jpg

Even despite the vehicle's superior speed, he still was substantially hurt. You can imagine what happens at enemy bases when there are no conveniently placed vehicles for the civilians to make their escape...

Hugh returns without an incident before the Arabs strike again, and heads straight for the Siberite Lab.
2015_01_01_223607.jpg

We are FINALLY done here! :bounce:

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Macmillan calling Powell. Operation complete. It’s more effective than we dared to hope.
Powell_over_radio_small.jpg
- That’s great news, John.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I just hope we’re doing the right thing sir.
- We’re in a war and this is the only way to win. If we don’t do what we have to, the Russians will.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- But sir...
- (very impatiently) I haven’t time to talk about it, John! We’ve found the primary deposit and we’ve got problems keeping hold of it. This is the final battle. The next 24 hours will decide the war and the future. Get back here now.

Mission accomplished.
2015_01_01_223627.jpg

Medals:

+ Gorky stopped.
+ Stevens saved.
+ Explosion observed.

Team:
2015_01_01_225308.jpg

P.S. Done with this mission. Done with this mission! DONE WITH THIS FUCKING MISSION!!! :incline:

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

And before I disappear again, this next interlude is really tiny, so I might as well type it out now.

Mission 14. One on One.
2015_01_01_225359.jpg

On road from the desert to base Alpha; March 29, ERA + 2
With the Siberite rocket successfully completed John has been recalled to the Alpha base. The final confrontation is close at hand.

2015_01_01_225402.jpg

- Powell calling Macmillan. Where are you?
2015_01_01_225407.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- (stops, gets out of the vehicle) I’m on my way sir. Just to the north of Delta Kappa base.
- Then keep your eyes open. I’ve recalled most of our people from round there. We don’t control it any longer.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We’ll be OK sir. See you back at Alpha.

New objectives received:
- Reach the Upper Right hand corner of map with John Macmillan in a vehicle.

But while we are heading there...
2015_01_01_225508.jpg

So, what do we do, Codex?
2015_01_01_225546.jpg

I'll let you guys consider it while I procrastinate further. :lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Of course. What can go wrong with antagonising your commander further?
Nothing. It just makes it easier to replace him. :troll:

Alright, let's make contact.
2015_01_02_113617.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Joan, it’s me. I’m on the road north of Delta Kappa.
Joan_radio.jpg
- John. Hurry, please, you have to hurry.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What’s happening? Who’s in command there?
Joan_radio.jpg
- No-one! I’m the only one left alive. Please. Help me John... please!
- I heard the broadcast Macmillan. You can’t sacrifice the world for one woman. The fate of mankind depends on us now.

Powell is right, y'know. We must sacrifice our personal happiness for the future of mankind! :salute:
2015_01_02_113643.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Joan, I have to head for Alpha to fight the Russians.
Joan_radio.jpg
- John, I’ll die here.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- If I don’t go then we can fail the entire mission. Once we hit the Russians they’ll head for us. Just hold on.
Joan_radio.jpg
- I understand. I’ll do what I can. But hurry. Please.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I’m already gone.

2015_01_02_113844.jpg

Mission Accomplished.
2015_01_02_113916.jpg

Let's move on to the final mi-

Goddammit, Azira!! :argh:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Try another browser and you may get your answer. :)

Even tablets and phones display the images correctly. I guess the problem is on your end. :( Maybe some extension is interfering with formatting or something like that?

Though I find it strange that the screens themselves load fine (even though tiny), but the portraits don't.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As you have probably noticed by the lack of updates, I am not having a good time with this mission.

Oh, well. I will provide you with the sad story of my failures, then.
Alright, let's agree to help.
2015_01_02_163630.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Take it easy Joan, I’m on my way.
Joan_radio.jpg
- Wait! Don’t use the road! The Russians are controlling it.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I’ll get there somehow. Hang on Joan.

Road? What road?

2015_01_02_163700.jpg

Oh.

We take a turn and go into the forest. Sadly, there is no way to drive through, so we will have to abandon our vehicle.
2015_01_02_163736.jpg

Funny thing: if you leave your car in the middle of the road, the Russians will steal it, and Macmillan will even comment on it.

We head south. Judging by the sounds of exploding buildings, pools of blood, and smoking tanks, there was a battle recently.
2015_01_02_163800.jpg

Here we find Joan, safe and sound.
2015_01_02_163820.jpg

Joan_small.jpg
- Thank God you’re here, John.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I was hardly going to leave you, was I.
Joan_small.jpg
- Where are the others?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- There are no others, I’m alone. But don’t worry, we’re going to make it. I promise. How’s your programming?

Secondary objectives received:
- Save the base and eliminate Russian forces in the area.
- Protect Joan.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So what have we got here?
Joan_small.jpg
- A lab and factory and...a lot of crates.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What about fuel – oil? Siberite?
Joan_small.jpg
- Hardly any oil, the Russians took out the rigs at Kappa 2. We’ve some siberite but not much.

While we are talking, the Russian tank promptly blows up. I assume if I finishe the last mission with Macmillan as a mechanic, rather than a scientist, the tank could have been salvaged. :argh:

At least the ape is an engineer and can fix the burning oil plant before it collapses.
2015_01_02_164018.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Look, those vehicles are on remote control. Where’s the transmission tower?

2015_01_02_164023.jpg

Joan_small.jpg
- It was there. The Russians burnt it and when the mechanics ran out burning the Russians mowed them down.

They deserved it for placing the tower in the middle of nowhere and unprotected, the cretins! We aren't going to make the same mistake, are we?
2015_01_02_164118.jpg

I place the tower right across the Factory and under the Lab for easier access. I will need to switch jobs quickly in case of a sudden attack.

I only have 2 people (and an ape) for the whole mission, so I can't afford to build structures or repair them manually. That means I will need a crane, and that, in turn, means building a non-combat extension.
2015_01_02_164307.jpg

Once the Radio Tower finishes, I immediately put Joan there to take control over the cargo truck and start collecting crates, and to move my heavier tanks closer to my line of defence in case of emergencies.
2015_01_02_164357.jpg

Once the bare necessities are taken care of, it is time to do some research.
2015_01_02_164616.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- This lab’s got great optoelectric gear.
Joan_small.jpg
- Denis was working on a new laser-based weapon. It ran a beam between two vehicles and took out whatever it crossed.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So Denis was killed?
Joan_small.jpg
- No. Powell took him searching for the primary deposit.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Do you think we could complete the project using his records?
Joan_small.jpg
- We can try.

Secondary objectives received:
- Build two vehicles with a double-laser.

Though the first thing I do is research Materialization Detection. I need to know where the crates go.

Achtung! The Russians are coming!
2015_01_02_164802.jpg

Thankfully, I have prepared for such an occasion, and it only takes me 5 seconds to run Joan to the Tower and link her to the Heavy Gun vehicle. She has 7 levels of mechanic, which means she is driving at a skill of 14. Enemy computer vehicles are capped at 8, so she makes short work of them.
2015_01_02_164952.jpg

I continue to build. The crane arrives just in time to fix the turrets before the second attack hits.
2015_01_02_165500.jpg

While collecting crates, I stumble right into the enemy defences. Now I know how big their base is.
2015_01_02_165739.jpg

A few minutes into the mission, our beloved General Power inquires where the hell are we.
- Macmillan? What’s going on?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Delta Kappa base needed assistance, general.
- (fucking livid) We need you here, Macmillan! We have to commence the attack now!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We can move right this second General, but there are a lot of resources. We leave it to those bastards outside it’ll be a tank factory in minutes and that could swing the battle their way.
- What’s your point, John?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I can improve defences here and try to eliminate Russian forces. Then I’ll come to you.
- All right, give it a try, I don’t want them building more armour. But if it doesn’t look good get right over here. I can’t afford to lose you now.

I am probably not going to win this with just remote vehicles. It is a hassle to run to the Radio Tower each time I want anything done. I need fully automated ones.

And so I build the second Lab to specialize it in Computers.
2015_01_02_170807.jpg

And add the extension to the Factory.
2015_01_02_171112.jpg

The thing with this map is that the crates fall on the enemy territory much more often than they do on mine. Combine it with the fact that they have two fully staffed Factories while I only have two people to do everything, and you can see why this mission is such a major pain in the ass.

The Russians keep the pressure up. My static defences are barely adequate to their ever-increasing waves.
2015_01_02_171129.jpg

Though I manage to save the turret with the help of our invaluable building crane.
2015_01_02_171255.jpg

I have tons of resourses, and no time and no personnel to spend them.

I make the final use of the non-combat extension before disassembling it, and build myself a bulldozer, because crashing into enemy cars is cool. I research rockets, as I want to produce a lot of small rocket vehicles with a good range to augment the defences, and also because they should be good at dismantling the enemy turrets.
2015_01_02_172333.jpg

Sadly, the gambit fails. The rockets barely make a dent in the armor of Russian tanks. My computer vehicles operate at skill level 4, while theirs are twice more effective. Researching better programs will take a lot of time, and sadly time is exactly what I do not have.

My defences start failing one by one. The turret to the north crumbles before the onslaught of heavy tanks. Only thanks to the trusty bulldozer I can still hold the line.
2015_01_02_172641.jpg

Then it is the turn of two turrets to the east.
2015_01_02_174155.jpg

Until finally, I have none left.
2015_01_02_174902.jpg

Even though I manage to keep them at bay, I lose more and more to do so, and most of the time between the attacks that could be spent on getting better weapons is wasted on repairs, because I need to drive the tanks all the way to the Radio Tower to do so (one disadvantage of the remote control technology, I guess).
2015_01_02_174943.jpg

In a bid to reverse the tide, I return the favor and take out their turrets using my superior range.
2015_01_02_175154.jpg

And here is where everything falls apart. The moment the first turrent fell, the AI decided to meet me in the field and threw their infantry at me. I was prepared to face their computer-driven heavy tanks that plagued my base since the beginning, but this... this caught me completely off-guard. Worse still, on Hard difficulty enemy units have 10 (maximum) levels in all stats. A 10th level soldier is a Terminator and Rambo combined, and can solo a computer-controlled vehicle with ease. My 4th level tin cans didn't even have a change to withdraw.

I was so shocked I forgot to take a screenshot.

With no vehicles and no static defences, I just ragequitted. :negative:

All right, take 2.
It starts very much the same way, with a small caveat. What you get for starting vehicles, as well as their locations, is determined randomly. Here I've got a Heavy Gun tank with a heavy chassis, and a Double Gun tank with a medium one.
2015_02_01_120220.jpg

The beginning is pretty standard. Radio Tower, Non-Combat Factory extension, Building Crane...
2015_02_01_120519.jpg

2015_02_01_121102.jpg

2015_02_01_121318.jpg

Though here is where things start to diverge from the previous attempt. The first thing I do is build more automatic turrets. Thankfully, I do not have to research this technology from scratch.
2015_02_01_121936.jpg

Then another one. And another. Then install Heavy Guns and Rocket Launchers on all of them and replace the weapons on the ones I already had. I am not taking chances this time.
2015_02_01_122615.jpg

I have two good combat vehicles now, so even though the first attack was stronger than I expected, I fend it off with ease.
2015_02_01_122723.jpg

My endgame is remote control vehicles. I figured that if computer controlled ones are so pathetic, why not use my own mechanics who are much more talented? That would be more efficient.
2015_02_01_123119.jpg

So I put all of my money into building a rocket squad that could take out the enemy base defences from afar.

First attempt does not go smoothly, though. We meet heavy resistance. Literally.
2015_02_01_123841.jpg

I decide that it would be a good idea to prepare something for the enemy tanks as well. I build a laser extension...
2015_02_01_124838.jpg

And then research the double laser technology and assemble my first prototypes.
2015_02_01_125603.jpg

They are fairly weak by themselves, but everything changes when there are two on the field. You see the green dots between the two vehicles? Every enemy unit or building that crosses this line gets zapped with an extremely powerful attack. The tactical potential of these babes in the open field is vast, though it requires a bit of micromanaging.

Here is where I notice that there has not been another attack from the enemy since the first one. Apparently, something bugged out. Maybe it was my early attack that got the enemy tanks stuck due to faulty pathfinding while trying to exit the base. Either way, the pressure is no more. I have all the time in the world to prepare for the assault.

I think I am ready.
2015_02_01_125752.jpg

The first phase goes without a hitch. Enemy infantry goes on a counter-offensive, and is mowed down by a Gatling tank I kept since the beginning of the mission instead of recycling it like I did last time.

I proceed to eliminate the rocket turrets, and even bring along a cargo truck full of fuel, as it promises to be one long siege.
2015_02_01_130212.jpg

Unfortunately, here is where the realization hits me. I can't bring my vehicles back to base for repairs - it will take too long, and the Russians will just rebuild their defences by then. But if I bring a mechanic along, I severely limit myself in the amount and quality of the vehicles I can use.

The remote conrol works like this: you can control as many vehicles as you have mechanic levels, but each vehicle controlled reduces the skill at which you operate. So if Joan controls just one vehicle, she is just as good at it as when she drives one manually (which she does at skill level 14). If she controls two, she drives as if she is one level lower (so, skill level 12). If she controls four, she drives on par with computer-controlled ones.

So when I get Macmillan out of the tower for repairs, it drastically reduces my offensive capabilities. Why is that a problem? Well, I have to operate at least four vehicles to maintain the attack, and when I go to six, I end up with worse stats then my shitty computer-controlled cars from the first game.
2015_02_01_130458.jpg

That alone is bad enough, but there comes a second realization.

There may be an error in the pathfinding algorithm, but all it did was prevent the tanks from leaving the base. Meaning...
2015_02_01_191827.jpg

... all of their Heavy Gun tanks are inside and on a high ground. I lose half of my strike force just getting into range.

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_Q90_Ns_Hfb_YNEEUped_CJMBWk6_LXepm.jpg

I try to get in about 5 more times, and give up.
At this point I am strongly considering just taking Joan, bulldozing my way out of there, and leaving the Russians behind.

But I have not abandoned hope yet. There must be something I am missing. We'll see.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I cheated, looked at a walkthrough. It appears there's a second apeman you can recruit, north of Joans base? Also, there's another hint hidden beneath this second spoiler:
The walkthrough suggests you troll the russians, by doing this:
"Eventually you should research materialization. The reason for this is so
you can see where the Russian cargo vehicle will go. Then, once you have a
couple heavy gun tanks, wait for crates to show up between your base and the
Russian base (to the northeast), and send your tanks to guard it. When the
cargo vehicle shows up, try to kill it but don’t chase it into the enemy
base. The Russians don’t seem smart enough to repair or replace the vehicle,
so once you destroy it, the Russians will have to reply on engineers for
crates, and at that point the mission will be just about over." (sic)

lightbane

Arcane
Worst case scenario, you just can follow your orders and ignore her plight. C&C after all :M

Nevill

Arcane
All right. That was enough whining on my part. Back to business.
A new game, a new beginning.
2015_02_01_192213.jpg

Which is the same as the old one, except I get the best possible result - two Heavy Gun remote-controlled tanks. They hit like a hammer agains enemy vehicles.

I noticed that the Factory had an Optical Computers extension when I entered the base (it was burning and blew up by the time Joan went out to meet me). That means the base already has the required technology to produce automated cannons and vehicles. And here I thought I needed an Optical Lab built first!

I immediately try and reconstruct it to make my start easier.
2015_02_01_192349.jpg

Once I am done building that, I throw a Non-combat extension on top of the factory and produce a Construction Crane.
2015_02_01_192648.jpg

After it finishes, I command it to build a Computers Lab to improve the quality of my automated vehicles while I work on the means to collect resourses. Oil would be a better option for the engine here, but I just don't have enough at this stage. :(
2015_02_01_192841.jpg

About midway I realize I may not be ready for the incoming attack, and switch to building the Radio Tower. Safety comes first.

Yes, I know about the second apeman (I had two on my first attempt), but I didn't know it was in the north. I guess it just wandered into my base and got caught. This time, I deliberately send Macmillan to hunt him down. This gets me an early warning:
2015_02_01_193251.jpg

With two heavy tanks on my side, this goes about as well as expected for the attackers.
2015_02_01_193521.jpg

It's time to check our Computers Lab!
2015_02_01_193954.jpg

Just as I suspected, the basic research was already done. We could try and improve our programming, but we don't have automated combat vehicles yet, so it isn't very relevant. Instead I want to try and discover how to produce a new type of chassis.

It came as a surprise to me, but it appears the Americans can't build heavy wheeled chassis, only tracked ones. If they want to get a better speed on the plains, their options are limited either to a medium wheeled chassis, or to the special one that can modify itself on the fly depending on what kind of terrain you are passing through. The only drawback to that is that it takes about a second to turn the wheels into tracks and vice versa, so there is a small, but noticeable lag between an order and its execution when a transformation happens. It is very annoying when you are busy micromanaging your vehicles and the stupid machine decides to switch the chassis to a more appropriate one.

I build a few radar vehicles to have a better idea of what is going on at any given time, and sure enough, I find the vehicle Azira was talking about. It was stealing crates from a contested territory between our bases. Note the blue dots on the cargo bay bar - it is loaded with crates, MY crates! It is also a wheeled one, meaning that my tracked cargo truck can't quite outrun it and that our resources will get even more scarce if this is allowed to continue.
2015_02_01_194859.jpg

Thankfully, the guy driving it is an engineer, not a mechanic, whick means they can not repair it and are only half as efficient driving it as they could have been.

I try to set up an ambush according to the advice...
2015_02_01_195241.jpg

...which fails miserably. The enemy does not beat around the bush when it comes to a retaliation. Retreat, retreat!
2015_02_01_195301.jpg

I nearly lose a vehicle trying to get to the relative safety of my turrets under heavy fire. The tank is left burning, but thankfully it drove behind a cliff where the enemy could not see it.
2015_02_01_195410.jpg

While Joan is busy repairing it, I decide to move my radar vehicle a bit further than I did the last time I played, and discover a secret passage behind the river.
2015_02_01_195732.jpg

Hmm...
2015_02_01_195849.jpg

Interesting!
2015_02_01_195933.jpg

Apparently, it leads right into the heart of the enemy base, to the Siberite Power plants feeding the defensive turrets. I should have tried this way in on my last attempt instead of banging my head against a brick wall.

Everything proceeds smoothly so far. I build a bulldozer to clear some trees around my base, research computer-related subjects, and build some more turrets.
2015_02_01_200917.jpg

Here is how a morphing chassis looks like in a wheeled state, BTW.
2015_02_01_201256.jpg

The bulldozer almost looks like a giant racing car.

Some more attacks are coming my way while I attempt to collect some crates behind their backs.
2015_02_01_201927.jpg

That sneaky little fucker! :argh:
2015_02_01_201934.jpg

This is personal now! I wait until the crates spawn in a nice, far away spot.
2015_02_01_202145.jpg

Sure enough, the enemy truck comes running. :smug:
2015_02_01_202156.jpg

Unfortunately, it is just fast enough to collect the crates and get away. If the enemy had enough intelligence to repair it, they could have been doing it indefinitely.

I am getting more bold. I get my cargo truck to steal crates in full view of enemy turrets as the enemy approaches to collect what they thought was rightfully theirs.
2015_02_01_202510.jpg

Surprise, motherfucker!
2015_02_01_202520.jpg

Or is it? Remember the Russians have the technology to teleport their broken vehicles out of harm's way? Right before I strike a finishing blow, the truck disappears before my eyes! :argh::argh::argh:

Thank God the AI is stupid enough to let it burn instead of sending a mechanic its way.

Meanwhile, I am getting a message that my spying vehicle in the enemy base was discovered and attaked!
2015_02_01_202619.jpg

I have to withdraw from there, until the attacker takes a wrong turn.
2015_02_01_202751.jpg

It appears to be the enemy's last hurrah. We do not receive any more attacks after that, presumably because they are out of resourses to produce enough vehicles.

At this point we have full control over the map and infinite resourses. It takes a while, but we put them to good use.

Some gatling guns for enemy troops.
2015_02_01_203749.jpg

Some double lasers for the secondary objective.
2015_02_01_210814.jpg

...and that should probably do it.
2015_02_01_211745.jpg

4 Heavy Gun tanks, 6 Rocket Launchers, 4 Gatling Tanks, 2 Double Lasers, 1 Bulldoser, and 2 manually controlled ones for Macmillan and Joan. Who is laughing now? :cool:

Meanwhile, the enemy has to pick up the crates with their bare hands. This is going to be easy - they are ready for the taking.
2015_02_01_211551.jpg

But first, we will send our second radar vehicles ahead to scout the enemy lines...
2015_02_01_211815.jpg

...only to discover that there isn't anything standing between us if we just attack from the north.
2015_02_01_211844.jpg

Look at all those uncollected crates! Their engineers just can't handle that much free shit.

I send all of my vehicles north, one by one. It mostly goes smoothly until one of the computer-controlled ones bumps into another, decides to turn around, comes into vision of an enemy turret, and opens fire. That draws the enemy out, including the infantry, which is bad, since I sent all of my gatlings tanks first.
2015_02_01_212358.jpg

That soldier can wipe 4 tanks because they just aren't specialized against infantry. The only one that is doing some damage here is our good old bulldozer. :salute:

A very chaotic combat ensues. We easily overpower their non-combat structures...
2015_02_01_212612.jpg

...and start working on their personnel...
2015_02_01_212832.jpg

...when everything falls apart.
2015_02_01_213110.jpg

Yes, we have a numerical advantage. Yes, we have better weapons. Yes, by all means we should have had this in the bag.

But we don't have one thing they have. We don't have medics.
2015_02_01_213110.jpg

A tenth level medic is a fucking necromancer. They can bring back the dead. I try with all my might to keep the enemy soldiers down, and they just don't stay down! I try to concentrate fire on the medics, but there are several of them. If one falls, their colleagues heal them back up, and the healed medic heals them right back the moment he is back on his feet. Not even splash damage can disrupt that accursed cycle!

The Russians have a technology that is called the 'Stasis Field' that slows the time around your wounded soldier and allows you to delay bringing a medic to them before they bleed out. But something appears to be bugged with the latest patch, and the Stasis Field protects against all incoming damage as well. I just can't explain why 20+ tanks can't kill a single guy otherwise. Yes, they are computer-controlled tanks, and the enemy has 10 levels in every skill, but come on! When it's easier to shoot them down to red health than to finish them off, you know something is wrong with the game! :argh:

The double lasers do their best to reduce enemy defences to scrap, but it is useless.
2015_02_01_213427.jpg

Lasers don't do shit against infantry.

It is not immediately apparent, but I have lost the engagement. Most of my tanks are burning, and the host of medics are feeling better than ever. If I could not take them out when I had 20 tanks, 10 don't have a prayer.
2015_02_01_213631.jpg

To add insult to the injury, they aren't even healing themselves anymore. They are shooting at me. With their pea-shooters. And doing damage. Because 10 levels in every skill. I hate my life.

GG.
How was it even fucking possible to lose that one?! :x:x:x

Reloading.
Well, the reason for the previous failure was easy enough to establish. The combat happened when I wasn't ready for it, the terrain was a mess, and my tanks were all over the place. While the rocket launchers don't care about distance, the same can not be said for the rest of them. I could only attack with a few at a time, and they were often not optimal for the task. As I started losing vehicles, the burning carcasses blocked the way for my reinforcements and limited the amount of firepower I could bring against my enemies.

This is why this time it is the bulldozer that goes ahead. That means a lot less trees and a lot more space for maneuver. The gatling tanks can ride to the front now to grind the enemy infantry while the heavies deal with occasional tanks.
2015_02_01_214337.jpg

The soldiers are down before the medics arrive.
2015_02_01_214440.jpg

Which is to say, they do not arrive at all. Instead of blowing up enemy Labs I start tearing down the turret defences. Half of the engineers try to repair them while the other half still tries to collect crates from the area, and all of them are cut down. Which in turn causes the AI to send more engineers. But what if they don't have any? Well, they can always pull a medic from one of the Labs and make them one. ;)
2015_02_01_214847.jpg

The Labs get empty quickly.

Once the men are down, we proceed to destroy the turrets, engaging one at a time.
2015_02_01_215002.jpg

All the while the AI sends the engineers to their doom. You can envy their dedication to the job.
2015_02_01_220708.jpg

Tired of fighting the turrets, we make a push for the Warehouse, ending the battle with a single strike.
2015_02_01_221012.jpg

The turrets go silent. All that is left is to hunt down the tanks. They put up heavy resistance, and my units drop like flies, but I just don't care at this point.
2015_02_01_221131.jpg

This is all that is left of my forces, but victory is inevitable.
2015_02_01_221228.jpg

It is about bloody time.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So this is it. Now I have to be on my way.
Joan_small.jpg
- Take care, John. I'll sort it out here. Thank you for the help.

Mission Accomplished.
2015_02_01_221303.jpg

Medals:
+ Joan saved.
+ Double-laser built.
+ Base saved.

Team overview:
2015_02_01_221313.jpg
Moral of the story: it does not matter how much firepower you can bring, if you manage it like an idiot, you will still get crushed. Tactics is everything.

Still, that was one bitch of a mission. I have built this for lulz just because I could, expecting to roflstomp the enemy.
2015_02_01_211745.jpg
And after everything was said and done, I have ended up with this:
2015_02_01_221244.jpg
Truly, computer-controlled vehicles suck balls.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 15. Final Countdown.
2015_02_01_221420.jpg

Area of Siberite Motherlode; May 1, ERA + 2

Now the time is ripe for the final confrontation. Having arrived in the nick of time, John will have to meet the final challenge.

2015_02_07_234705.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Macmillan calling general Powell… we should be in the area.
- Macmillan, you son of a bitch, I ordered to you to come ASAP!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I couldn't allow Kappa to fall into enemy hands, sir. And there was nobody else who could help.
- To hell with Kappa, this is the only place that counts now!

2015_02_07_234718.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What's the situation, sir?
Powell_small.jpg
- Complex, John, damn complex. There are Russians that way, with a heap of Siberite and most of Legion are on our left, dug in with their bomb.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So what’s the plan, sir?
Powell_small.jpg
- Look at the map Macmillan. Have I got a base?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I don't understand…

2015_02_07_234740.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- There might be one now but in one day it’s gone. Because it’s located under the hill. Under the bastard hill so we can't defend it from the South.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I see, sir.
Powell_small.jpg
- And according to our scouts there’s a convoy of Russian tanks on its way from... you got it son, coming from the South, where we have no turrets but a damn slope we can't defend!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Shall I see what I can do?
Powell_small.jpg
- You're our only hope Macmillan. I'll send men and resources. The enemy will come either from the ford or through that pass, whichever route they take you will have to stop them. Do you hear that, Macmillan? I order you to stop those bastards!

2015_02_07_234759.jpg

2015_02_07_234803.jpg

obe-wan-hologram.jpg
Pfft. Pathetic.

2015_02_01_221525.jpg

691855-pst_003.jpg
That's better.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Did you locate the Siberite Motherlode?
Powell_small.jpg
- We just about managed that. Take a guess where it is, John. On the hill over there, right in the middle of the Russians.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So do you plan to attack, sir?
Powell_small.jpg
- 'course I do… When the time is right, I'll drive them right back to Moscow. But first there’s Legion to deal with.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What are the Russians up to general?
Powell_small.jpg
- Nothing. They just sit around that hill doing absolutely nothing.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Have they produced any Siberite weapons?
Powell_small.jpg
- They are screwed, Macmillan. Their chief of research, Kozlov, was drafted by Legion. (rough laughter) He disappeared with all the calculations, and now Legion are building the bomb instead of the Russians.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What the hell do Legion want?
Powell_small.jpg
- I’ve no idea, Macmillan. But I can confirm they’re building a Siberite rocket!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- How do you know?
Powell_small.jpg
- I have an informant in their base… I don't know his name, he just refers to himself as "friend".

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- And what about Arabians?
Powell_small.jpg
- (laughter) From the time you screwed them over they’ve kept their heads down.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I think they’re up to something, general. Did you hear about Omar Ali and Heike Steyer?
Powell_small.jpg
- Sure. So what about them?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- They are said to be in this area. I’m just wondering why.
Powell_small.jpg
- They just picked the wrong spot for a honeymoon! Don’t waste your time guessing, Macmillan. There are important things to be done.

Looks things have gone the way we did not quite anticipate. Choice time!
2015_02_01_221603.jpg

:troll::troll::troll:

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I remember, suggesting will do nothing. He'll just get angry, tell you to follow orders and that's it.

lightbane

Arcane
Tell him to let you assume command. As angry as he may get, he's aware you're far more competent and skilled than him. Besides, you deserve it for passing the last mission against all odds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom