Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hormalakh

Magister
left hand side icons with likely meanings.

heart: endurance.
plus sign: health.
piercing: spear
crushing: hammer.
accuracy: targeting board with arrow
armor: shield without outline
slashing: sword
I can't tell what the one next to the sword is, possibly fortitude?
defenses: Shield with white outline
deflection: gold shield
reflexes: boot
fortitude: guy with arms up
willpower: empty mind

Copper

Savant
Yeah, a big improvement - my guess is most people didn't click through on the link.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lrn 2 view source

10838783_376268649221615_620188427_n.jpg

throwaway

Cipher
So they more or less stay in sync with Unity? Good. I actually thought PoE and TToN would be built on a 2012/early 2013 fork of Unity.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So they more or less stay in sync with Unity? Good. I actually thought PoE and TToN would be built on a 2012/early 2013 fork of Unity.
Did you read the posts/updates? They said they're doing this to solve a linux bug and ordinarily would not.

Shevek

Arcane
Whatever their reasoning, I hope they go with 4.6. I am sure some folks will be able to make some impressive UI mods from the sounds of it.

throwaway

Cipher
Did you read the posts/updates? They said they're doing this to solve a linux bug and ordinarily would not.
They specifically mention not normally updating the engine so late in the development. That doesn't tell us much about when they actually stopped doing that or (more importantly to me) how is InExile going to go about it. Will the keep track of upstream until halfway into normal production or did they branch around the time they announced using Obsidian's tech?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You could have known this wasn't true by looking at the Unity version of Wasteland 2, which most assuredly isn't from early 2012. Updating Unity is apparently not incredibly difficult.

Klarion

Arcane
Im watching a gameplay video and I see some statue that you can move to uncover an entrance to underground, so now the problem with this to me is that only one character can try to push the statue to uncover the hidden entrance. Why is this so? Why can't all party push together to move the statue? Seems illogical.
Like they all try to push it one by one and everyone is too weak but they're also too dumb to try and to it together in which case they would succeed 100%.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im watching a gameplay video and I see some statue that you can move to uncover an entrance to underground, so now the problem with this to me is that only one character can try to push the statue to uncover the hidden entrance. Why is this so? Why can't all party push together to move the statue? Seems illogical.
Like they all try to push it one by one and everyone is too weak but they're also too dumb to try and to it together in which case they would succeed 100%.
Because this is a game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

making animations for this specific task is resource intensive to get it right. what could have been done is to select this group effort as an option is the scripted interaction screen.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Try to avoid using logic.

Klarion

Arcane
Because this is a game.
So that means it should be devoid of all logic?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because this is a game.
Not really, but in that case, there's no need for some of the skills at all. Just like the IE games never should have needed the pick locks skill because one could simply throw a fireball or something similar to obtain what one wanted. Some things will be gamey. I wouldn't mind if the game used logic and let the entire group work together to circumvent the issue. But the way it is now won't make me lose any sleep.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"All" logic? That's stating the case pretty strongly. The game doesn't devolve into utter nonsense beginning to end because of this.

They didn't want the animator to spend 200 hours making a group animation for this one thing, and they didn't want to have to have to rebuild the character control and positioning code to be able to accomodate group actions for this one thing. It's really not that hard to understand.

Funny thing - it turns out that this isn't the first CRPG in history that doesn't allow the characters to do absolutely anything the player thinks of.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Frankly if they would use logic, they would use mules and they would be able to move it without spending an effort, and without even bothering with a STR check for a party.
And they would be even able to reuse the mule animation.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's a scripted interaction done via dialogue and pictures. No animation needed. Lhynn Klarion's comment is a fair one and the answer is because the skill system doesn't allow it.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's a scripted interaction done via dialogue and pictures. No animation needed. Lhynn's comment is a fair one and the answer is because the skill system doesn't allow it.

(Psst, that's not Lhynn)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom