Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
you have to use your imagination to make up the story for yourself, but I don't see it as a problem

Ah, the old LARPing excuse for games which fall short on content.

GB2SKYRIM
It is not an excuse, this game is simply not Wing Commander or Freespace, with a developed story. It's like complaining about a Civilization game not having enough content just because it doesn't have a story like Starcraft.

When you have such solid base, adding missions to it that are actually interesting and somewhat interlinked/reactive should be a joyous challenge for a designer of this sort of game. It's not a contradiction to its design, but an extension of it - making it more of a living world. Not doing so, while having so much potential at hand, is a sin.

I hope it's just a matter of time.

As for the nature of this content, it doesn't have to be a static story. It should be a collection of dynamically triggered quests (i.e. by accumulation of certain threshold of certain faction within certain space), with more of them added in queue as designers monitor what's happening in the world and create a grand storyline moving forward.

Bradylama

Arcane
There really should have been more of an effort to actually test the dynamic system before the game got out of Gamma phase. Frontier even made that post about the need to make Lugh independent into in-game canon, but even with a large amount of players directed to the Lugh system they couldn't even start a civil war in a week. The very thresholds for what it takes to START a stellar conflict are still a mystery.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Guess who made 350k yesterday, then crashed his 800k insurance ship into a station because he was tabbed into the wrong window during take-off. (Hint: It was me... :negative:)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That's not the only thing I suck at :negative:

Srsly. All but 4 of my deaths have been from colliding with stations because I wasn't paying attention.
And of those 4, 3 of them were because an NPC ship rammed me.

DraQ

Arcane
I think that Elite's flight mechanics are elegant and have an extremely high skill ceiling, one which I haven't reached (and will probably never reach), as evidenced by YouTube videos of fairly skilled pilots running circles around multiple full-AI enemies who are flying superior ships, let alone players flying superior ships.
One doesn't follow from another.

It depends on the AI mostly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Guess who made 350k yesterday, then crashed his 800k insurance ship into a station because he was tabbed into the wrong window during take-off. (Hint: It was me... :negative:)
out of curiosity, how long does it take you to make 400k now after the rare non-nerf?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
out of curiosity, how long does it take you to make 400k now after the rare non-nerf?

Depends on what I'm doing. A trade run nets me ~150-200k profit per hour. Mining is ~400k per hour if I find a good vein. Bounty hunting varies with how lucky I get in USS'es, but it's usually between 50 and 150k after fuel/ammo expenses. Warzones are the most fun, but I barely break even after paying for repairs, ammo and fuel.

I don't deal in rares at all anymore. The time investment it takes to accumulate a hold full of them means IU'll make better cr/min by just hauling non-rares. The nerf completely killed their relevance.

praetor

Arcane
tried some bounty hunting yesterday... NPC AI is pretty bad, so killing them even with a sidey/starter eagle isn't all that hard. the frustrating part is NPCs stealing my kills :x (yes, i have turned off crime reporting, but half or more of USSes spawn wanted ships with 1-2NPCs already attacking) i could've made ~100k yesterday in 2 hours with my pathetic sidey and eagle, but no... NPCs have to be cunts, plus i've lost count of how many sideys and adders FSD'ed on me with 0 fucking % hull. how the fuck?! also, was chasing a wanted cobra in an USS, and after a while he was dropping/jettisoning shit. since it was that cargo white/grey on my radar, i assumed it was cargo. it appears he was dropping some kind of mines or something 'cause from full shields/100% i went to 57% and then 2 microseconds later i died. tried to steal a kill in return (an cop anaconda+viper were mauling a 170k bounty anaconda) but failed :(

i need money for a cobra so can start making some money by other avenues... aaand i need to get to Empire space to start building rep with the Emprah/future emprah (which senator is the 'dex supporting? i hope it's not Blaine :troll:)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
FD said a couple of times they weren't planning to release on steam. I haven't heard of them flip-flopping on this yet.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
FD said a couple of times they weren't planning to release on steam. I haven't heard of them flip-flopping on this yet.
Let's just don't forget that they are the masters of flip-flopping. :troll:

I think they will release it on steam eventually, after the sales peaked. They are saying the opposite now so people buy it directly from them, instead of waiting for the STeam release.

praetor

Arcane

so... steam release sometime next year? :troll:

i reiterate for dudes who played since gamma/beta: how the fuck do NPCs escape with 0% hull? it's absolutely infuriating and retarded

Norfleet

And of those 4, 3 of them were because an NPC ship rammed me.
Hah, some things don't change, I guess. NPCs were kamikazes in every previous Elite, too. I collected an awful lot of bounties in the day, enough to make it to "Competent", without actually arming my ship. I had to install the scanner just to collect the bounties from all the pirates splattering into my windshield.

Mortmal

Arcane
There is now a PC-exclusive cockpit-based starship piloting game featuring smooth performance, slick graphics, proper support for head tracking, proper support for HOTAS and other 6doF devices, excellent keybinding, quasi-Newtonian physics and, most importantly, excellent and nuanced flight and combat mechanics in which you can fight with or against your friends.

Some people are complaining about it.

Reflect on that for a minute or so. Let us observe a moment of silence for the regrettable loss of sanity and perspective that has occurred since the turn of the century.

Thats mostly true , but you forgot its completely devoid of any content. I'd like to be young again like you guys living in illusion like this, enjoying a very average game . Its like this for little kids when they are watching cartoons , or playing video games they are enjoying a lot more than they should , seeing things that arent there, their imagination filling the gap maybe . Unfortunatly this doesnt works for me , i have the feeling you already seen it all after a few day of play and they have not much to offer .
I don't get the "it doesn't have content" argument? Are you looking for a storyline? Because ED is not that kind of game. It's a sandboxy game, you have tons of misisons, 6 career to pursue, and yes you have to use your imagination to make up the story for yourself, but I don't see it as a problem.

The previous frontier had a storyline,i expected a bit of that with multiplayer component yes . This is sandox but without enough sand, for exemple theres not much player impact at all . We tried to push for lugh system independance its not working and theres nothing new appearing not even warzone conflicts.I expected something more reactive .

Mortmal is normally a jackass, but I kind of agree with him. I feel like this right now is the feature complete beta (just from impressions) - with a good bit of balancing and stuff to do, and the need to fill it with content.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a line in the 1.02 patch notes, which got me thinking:
Tune matchmaking to significantly improve the chances of meeting other Commanders in space

How is the universe built in this game? I thought that there is one big universe, which is inhabited by players and they meet if they are in the same solar system. Like in EVE. But it seems there is some matchmaking working in the background.

Whiran

Magister
Tune matchmaking to significantly improve the chances of meeting other Commanders in space

How is the universe built in this game? I thought that there is one big universe, which is inhabited by players and they meet if they are in the same solar system. Like in EVE. But it seems there is some matchmaking working in the background.
I thought it was a bunch of instanced systems each with its own virtual server. So, if there were 1000 people in a system you'd only see whatever the limit is in each instance (40? 50? 30? 10?).

Mortmal

Arcane

There's definitvely matchmaking, on lugh i met maybe 5 players with very high traffic reported on the bulletin board. Really engaged one in pvp,or rather gear vs gear, as it matter a lot more than skill right now. Met another one at nav beacon doing bounty, so the usual experience you pop a wanted npc then surrounding npc and cops attack you for no obvious reason. The guy accidentally hit me, and was flagged wanted immediately , i could have been a dick and completely wreck himwithout any effort making him lose hours of tedious griding , getting away with it without any penalties. But i choose to warn him to go pay his fine as he was free game to everyone, just for one multicannon shot sliding on my shields....That's how the universe is built.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The previous frontier had a storyline,i expected a bit of that with multiplayer component yes . This is sandox but without enough sand, for exemple theres not much player impact at all . We tried to push for lugh system independance its not working and theres nothing new appearing not even warzone conflicts.I expected something more reactive .
the player impact might have been tuned towards much higher player numbers, or braben might have run out of money and released a version that is functional enough with seemingly more functionality, while working on said functionality in the background and hoping nothing would happen that would make people notice until he was done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom