Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tigranes said:
There's very little reason that the real Amanozaki, sleeping, would cover her face and lie straightly prone.
There is a theory that this is a play on our senses to make us open the door.

I mean, there is very little reason to hear the croaking/crawling noises if the real Amanozaki is alive, well, and sleeping, is there? Who would crawl to us if not her?

If we have experienced a hallucination of having a conversation with a person when the said person was dead, why can't we hallucinate a dead body when a person it belongs to is alive? I am afraid people are being inconsistent here.

Still, the more I read the update, the more I get this 'GTFO NOW' vibe. If we remember that a feeling of extreme weirdness was a hint to get back to the Rift and flee the Sphere dimension in EPIC, maybe the same applies here as well.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
track: banquet

You stumble blindly for the door, eager to flee the room. Your fingers close around the smooth handle – you turn, and pull. It does not budge. The door does not open. You rattle the handle in a panic, letting out a desperate yell. It’s locked, isn’t it? Amanozaki shouts from the other side of the door. You have to unlock it!

That’s… that’s right. You fumble around until you hear the click of the bolt drawing back. Without hesitation, you open the door and rush forward before whatever it is that is in here gets you.

The moment you leave, you feel a sharp, stabbing pain in your ankle. You cannot help but tumble to the floor, screaming at the agony.

I alMOst tHoughT thAt yOu would elude me through sheer luck.” The voice changes tone throughout the entire sentence, shifting disconcertingly from Amanozaki’s until it settles into a smooth, cultured and deep baritone. “But here you are.”

You look up, unable to form any words through the intense pain that is now creeping up your leg. Before you stands an old but tall man in a deep blue yukata: there is only a slight hunch to his posture, and he carries himself with a dignified weight. Though his silvery hair is receding, it adds a certain gravitas to his looks. There is a bespectacled man by his side, hunched over and twitching nervously. His eyes are wide, darting from side to side with fear and insanity, and his entire face is covered with black tattoos. It takes you a while to realize what those truly are; not tattoos at all, for mere ink would not shift and unfurl in such… lifelike manners, under the skin, would they?

The old man taps the tip of his elegantly carved wooden cane on the floor, making a loud rap, looking down at you. For an instant, his form seems to blacken and shrink to a child-like size, before returning to normal. A veil that you had not even realized was there lifts from your eyes.

“Shinoseki, what are you doing outside the barrier? Are you nuts?” You hear Amanozaki call out from the room you just left – even from your prone position, you can see her clearly in the candlelight. Looking like she has just woken up, she peers blearily at the old man. “Wait, who is-“

A sharp report rings through the cafeteria.

“Eh?” With a look of disbelief, Amanozaki glances down at her chest, and then at the smoking gun that has just appeared in the old man’s surprisingly steady hand. A deep red stain is spreading across the front of her clothes. She collapses backwards without another word.

You stare at her shooter. Something about him makes you want to sock him in the face. A black wave of anger seems to rush forth from somewhere deep inside you, temporarily washing away the pain. Gritting your teeth, you attempt to get to your feet. His wrinkled face displaying the full measure of how unimpressed he is at your efforts, the old man raises his cane, shifting his grip. A second later, the heavy handle smashes into the side of your face. You can feel the cracking of your cheekbone as it gives way under the force of his blow, causing you to roll over and scream in pain.

“Taketatsu, search him for the amulet,” orders the old man with the air of one used to having his every command obeyed. “We are running out of time.”

“Y-yes!” Taketatsu – the man that kidnapped Mitsuki – hurries over to you and begins his search. He seems loathe to even touch you, though he performs his task quickly while you are still incapacitated by the pain. “N-nothing,” he mutters after a while. “There’s… he’s not carrying what you want.”

The old man nods. “It is with the other girl, then.”

The deep tolling of a large bell resounds throughout the hospital.

Something about the environment changes, and the bruise on your ankle sends out a pulse of intense agony, causing you to curl up, biting on your lip. You can barely feel your lower limbs anymore.

The bell continues to ring out – pieces of the walls and floor begin to break off, flaking away to reveal a different structure underneath... an older hospital? Is this the juxtaposition of Ikei and Kaimei?

But that, too, cracks and disintegrates, to show what lies beneath…

Suddenly, Taketatsu screams, clawing at his face. The black under his skin is writhing horribly. “Please help me!” he shrieks, crawling towards the old man. “D-Do what you did before! Save me!” His nails are digging and scrabbling into his cheeks, tearing open bloody wounds that stain his fingers red. “It’s… I can feel it inside! It! Them! I… Help! Please!” babbles Taketatsu insanely.

The old man knocks him aside with a swipe of his cane. “She is drawing close, and the degeneration has begun. In these circumstances, nothing I can do will make a difference,” he says calmly. “Compose yourself and face death with the courage it demands.”

Taketatsu’s screeching reaches a crescendo and shortly after turns into watery, choking gurgles as the darkness floods out of his pores and coats his skin, slithering all over the man as if it were something alive.

Leaving the sobbing and screaming mess behind, the old man stands over you imperiously. “I would dearly love to find out just how deep your plot goes, but…” His thin lips peel back to reveal a grin with entirely too many teeth. “I know not to underestimate you now, boy. You shall not set eyes on the abyss a second time.”

No. It can’t end here.

But you no longer have the strength to resist.

He points the gun at your head – “W-wait,” you croak hoarsely – and pulls the trigger without hesitation.

---DEAD END---

Nevill

Arcane
Waiting for the choir of 'I told you so'. :lol:

Looks like LWC1996 is our Cassandra Lambchop in this CYOA. :cool:

So Uehara is the one opposing them. Does not surprise me, really. Neither does the fact that we are implied to be the mastermind.

It also looks like Mori indeed got his revolver from Taketatsu, who got it somewhere else. No wonder the guy did not sport gun wounds - he was the one shooting. The question is, where do we know this revolver from, why did it feel familiar?

Hm. A juxtaposition of Ikei and Kaimei. Is that our ticket home? It did not work out well for Taketatsu.

Wonder who the man referred as 'She'. The ghost from the pool? Are there different kinds of supernatural presences?

Wouldn't it also be interesting if B was a trap as well, sort of in 'your mind makes it real' way? Would be a funny troll, I think. :lol:

Too many questions, and not nearly enough answers.

treave said:
"You shall not set eyes on the abyss a second time.”
So is this the end, like in 'the end'? Something in the man's words carries an air of finality.

Or do we get another chance? I wonder just what changes with each of our mistakes.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

fucking told you so

edit: i know it's not a choir, but...

Last edited by a moderator:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
You fucking morons :(

The directions were clear! Wake up the girl! But noooooo you have to fall for the ruse. This should be single player!

:butthurt:

+M

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Waiting for the choir of 'I told you so'. :lol:
Like this is not another abject failure.
However we had definitive proof that only living people kill, ghosts can 'taint' you, hence avoid contact, something we already knew.

Nevill

Arcane
Like this is not another abject failure.
Depends.

I still don't know what the right answer was. :lol:

However we had definitive proof that only living people kill, ghosts can 'taint' you, hence avoid contact, something we already knew.
Does that looks human to you?
“I alMOst tHoughT thAt yOu would elude me through sheer luck.” The voice changes tone throughout the entire sentence, shifting disconcertingly from Amanozaki’s until it settles into a smooth, cultured and deep baritone. “But here you are.”

For an instant, his form seems to blacken and shrink to a child-like size, before returning to normal.

Leaving the sobbing and screaming mess behind, the old man stands over you imperiously. “I would dearly love to find out just how deep your plot goes, but…” His thin lips peel back to reveal a grin with entirely too many teeth.
Like, Shinoseki-Amanozaki-Mori-human?

I mean, I know it is likely a 'real' person, or was a 'real' person, but really. Something is seriously weird here.

Oh, and ghosts can kill you, I am pretty certain of it. That we were never killed by one of them (by virtue of being rescued in the last moment by Mori, Sakimura or the amulet) is not a definitive proof.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
For all the good it does is now that we're dead. (Or are we?)
Havent seen a lot of people that survive brain scrambling.

But its a hospital so medical help should be swift +M

Would be funny if for once we would wake up in the morgue.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Depends.

I mean, I still don't know what the right answer was. :lol:

You are in denial, ithe right choice was to waking up Amazonaki, simple
Does that looks human to you?

Like, Shinoseki-Amanozaki-Mori-human?

Irrelevant, we already knew that someone was behind all this, and he still used a gun and had to trick us out of the room
Even if he is a 'ghost' he has to resort to human tactics and agents, while anti-ghost means could work on him as well as more direct means.

Nevill

Arcane
You are in denial, ithe right choice was to waking up Amazonaki, simple
No, I was the one who have made arguments for both sides, have constructed a list of what was 'fishy' about the current situation, and yet failed to convince myself.

Though I get a kick out of watching people who totally knew what was up.

You might want to talk to Lambchop about which choice was right, he voted for C. :M

Blocking out the outside influence might have been our way out. Don't tell me you can't imagine a scenario where it may have been that way.

Irrelevant, we already knew that someone was behind all this, and he still used a gun and had to trick us out of the room

Even if he is a 'ghost' he has to resort to human tactics and agents, while anti-ghost means could work on him as well as more direct means.
I am not sure where are you going with this. :?

If you think that ghosts can't kill people, it is simply not true. Pretty sure the pool ghost could have killed us easily, given the chance.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well, at laest we know that there is some sort of human intelligence against us and that charm that Uehara has is very important.
It's a shame that we died, but we gained knowledge from it...And we know it can shift voices now.

So far there seems to be two big players here, the pool woman and the old man...And it seems we were big player before we lost our memory.

No, Nevill, waking her in b was obviously right. C was just more right than A. A lot more.

Nevill

Arcane
No, Nevill, waking her was obviously right. C was just more right than A. A lot more.
Probably, yeah. Though I can use mental gymnastics to make up a scenario where it would have been wrong, as we still know next to nothing about the laws that govern this place.

But then if B was 'right' you'd have to explain why C was 'wrong', when all we had to do was not to fall for the trap.

Can you?

C was not falling for the trap, so it was right, in that way.

The bonus points were in b, however, as Our eyes and ears would be closed in C. We would have survived, but have been none the wiser for it.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, I see. So we would survive in both choices (they were both 'right'), but miss the moment of transformation and the corresponding info. Could be.

Nevill

Arcane
One last thing to think about.

I am reminded about this quote from the first chapter:
Maeda said:
“Lowborn minds can only conceive of lowborn theories. We know nothing about this place besides what we can sense… but is it right to follow our senses in the first place? It is only prudent that we never place complete confidence in that by which we have been deceived even once. Okuyama’s disappearance and reappearance prove that much at least. How can we say what is real and what is not?”
If our senses of hearing and sight can be manipulated, do you think it might also apply to pain?

I am seeing a fair share of support for the 'Put your faith in the Taint' movement, but how is it different from our other senses?

So far there seems to be two big players here, the pool woman and the old man...And it seems we were big player before we lost our memory.
Actually, no. The pool woman (man?) is a separate entity, I think, bound to the physiotherapy building. That 'She' was the Witch.

treave said:
The laughter is still there, maddening and mocking. “Who… who do you think is laughing?”

“The Witch, probably. There’s always an evil witch in this sorta story... it's, like, a cliche, y'know,” scowls Amanozaki fiercely. “Well, that bitch will get what’s coming to her, if I have anything to say about this. Anyway, that guy, Taketatsu, he was distracted by the laughter. He just picked up the girl and ran like his ass was on fire.
Amanozaki refers to her differently than to the pool ghost, and this creature seems to be the main enemy of the people who killed us.

We know the pool ghost was powerful, but not to the extent of the Witch, who apparently can raise everyone who ever died in this building.

Anyone knows what happened to Taketatsu? My assumption is that he got 'touched', just like us in the first night:
The bruise has spread up your torso and is even now visibly encroaching on your forearm, strange waves of black billowing just under your skin. Your head is spinning. You feel feverish.
Perhaps this is how he becomes crazy and subservient to anyone who promises him survival?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Ugh. Mea culpa.

So what do we learn from this? Overlapping with Nevill:
-The old man and the pool women are antagonists
-Our seeing and hearing (and touch?) can be manipulated
-Amanozaki's barrier, and possibly Uehara's charm, are powerful enough that such deception is necessary to reach us
-And something about the Ikei/Kaimei and the general schematic of the illusion I'm sure, but I'm still not clear on that part.

I suppose the lesson, should we be reincarnated, is:
-Avoid sleeping or going idle, which can lose our concentration and trigger hallucinatory deceptions?
-Find Uehara and/or Amanozaki quickly so that we have some method of protection?
-Then try and find/secure Mitsuki, and possibly Mori, to further solve the puzzle?

Nevill

Arcane
I would put 'talk to Sakaki' on my list. We need to be updated on the rules the ghosts play by.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The upcoming interlude will involve some choices to be made, but after that we won't be starting the next chapter until the week after Christmas.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Interlude: A non-existent pause

For once, the round, polished oak table is empty of any tea-time accoutrements. The familiar, lacy table-cloth, or the cups of strange and varied tea that seem to always be at just the right temperature, or the fastidiously arranged flowers that decorate the table’s center: none of these are present. The chandelier hangs silently overhead, its glass carvings catching the light from the crackling fireplace. The room’s familiar occupant, its master, is nowhere to be seen. When did he leave? You have no idea, but you realize that even in his absence, you are not alone. Over there, facing the bookshelves, is the maid, insofar as any girl in a black dress, white apron and headdress can be called one. If you remember correctly, she is the one responsible for preparing the tea upon the man’s orders, though he had not seen fit to introduce her before.

The maid appears to be reading a rather heavy tome. You stir from your seat slightly, adjusting your posture. The comfortable leather-backed chair lets out a slight creak. This seems to be sufficient to attract her attention. The maid quickly pushes the book back into its rightful place on the shelves, between its brethren, and turns around with a gasp. “I… I am so sorry, dear guest. I did not realize that you were awake. Did I disturb you?”

You shake your head. It is fine, you want to say, but you are unable to form any words at the moment. You can still feel the bullet crashing through your temples, driving deep into your brain. It is a disconcerting experience. You lean back, pinching your eyes shut as you try to banish the sensation – unsuccessfully. Is this how it is going to be everytime you live through that night?

“Are you feeling alright? Should I make some more tea?”

You nod wordlessly. It does not take long before you are presented with a cup of black tea – the aroma alone eases your weariness. You sip from it gratefully. The refreshing, slightly bitter taste clears your head in seconds. “Thank you,” you mutter to the maid. She smiles at you warmly… and does nothing else. You cock your head to one side, staring at her. She bears an uncanny resemblance to Uehara. How did you not notice this before?

After a few minutes, you begin to look around uncomfortably, pinned under her patient attention and trying to grasp for something to break the awkward silence. “Uh…”

“Yes, dear guest?” she says brightly and politely, her posture impeccable.

A. “Where did your master go?”

B. “What is your name?”

C. “What were you reading?”

D. “No… nothing. Never mind…”

E. Huh, her skirt is pretty short…

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Next update is scheduled for tomorrow. This may be a two-part or three-part interlude, depending on the choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom