Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Again, we're not going to know the actual real prices of these things until about 20 auctions into the event. There will be wankers tossing stupid amounts to win the first few auctions for whatever reason. As for acquiring gems - just buy the bags now. They're already up to 78 cents as of writing this (were at 60 when I bought a shitton)

Gord

Arcane
For now I just let some shit run in the background to collect missing cards, watching the card market while prices slowly increase because everyone is converting cards into gems and then I'll flood the market with my lame collection of shitty cards to earn like 2-3 bucks in total.

Still seems more worthwile than that gems thing...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I "only" managed to scrape together 1500 gems, so I decided to try my luck, bid 750 gems on two titles.

For one I'm #9, the other #31.

Considering the current price of gems, compared to the prices of the games, I stand to get both titles with a HUGE discount.

Let's wait and see...

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Just sniped 3 auctions, even though we're still on day 1 in the middle of the day. Also, the sacks are up to $1 each. EZ MONEY EZ LIFE.

It's like I'm some kind of prophet with an IQ of over 200 that people just can't comprehend.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Which games, though?

7 Grand Steps for 3k, which is like $3 now and $1.90 when I bought the gems, and some RPGmaker shit that I had on my wishlist for various autistic reasons. Those are the easy ones - predicting some decent titles should be snipeable in about 12 hours. Otherwise, I cash out and accept making a 20% profit (after valve's cut) on all the gems I bought.

Executr

Cipher
I have a little more thank 2k gems, but I think I won't manage to grab anything. The reason is that I've noticed in this last round, many people were upping their bets in the last minute for most games.
So I predict most games will retain their value for the duration of the event. And even increase in the last day, due to people that have bet on the popamole games that realize that they won't get the chance to get them and turn their bets to less well-known games. I might be wrong though, I'll check tomorrow to see how it develops.
Still, I'm keeping record of the values of some games I'm interested, so I can see if my prediction will be true.
I'll probably go all-in in some bundle-fodder game.

Multi-headed Cow

It's a shame they don't tell you what each copy of something sold for.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Meh. Basically standard sale prices.

Nah. 7 grand steps historical low point is $4.44 during some midweek sale. Only way it could hit that low is if it were a daily deal during the holiday sale, and let's get fucking real on that one, lol. $1.90 is way cheaper!

In all honesty, the auction itself may not be worth the time for the savings - but I've been treating it like it's own game.

Multi-headed Cow

Nice, card prices are still climbing. This might be the best moment to strike. People crafting shit 'cause you can grind the paper/emoticons into gems and get a holiday sale bonus card. I need some music to go with this.

Multi-headed Cow

655 cards still yet to sell on the market and $34 from what I've sold thus far. I feel this was the correct move instead of dicking with gems.

lods_of_emone_by_dust_bite-d339o0a.jpg

Eddard Stark

Educated
This Auction stuff is retarded alright, but that seems to be the GabeN way as of late. Not complaining much though since it's possible to get either a quick buck or some nice underrated game out of it. I succumbed and got me some Worlds of Magic at like quarter of its price. Just don't bother with the sacks, either get rid of the cards you have or buy/turn into gems some backgrounds/emoticons that go under the radar. At least yesterday there were some very cheap ones that gave 100 gems each. Or just make some money.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
MHC - are you seriously implying you wouldn't both make shittons of free bucks off of gems AND not sell all your cards simultaneously? For shame. You have much to learn goyim!

Turjan

Arcane
MHC - are you seriously implying you wouldn't both make shittons of free bucks off of gems AND not sell all your cards simultaneously? For shame. You have much to learn goyim!
If I see this correctly, you are talking about these $2.54 you made spent less, compared to some historical low point in the price of the game?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
If I see this correctly, you are talking about these $2.54 you made spent less, compared to some historical low point in the price of the game?

No?

I'm talking about literally buying upwards of a hundred sack of gems when they were at .60 and reselling them (they are at 1.28 now, probably going to hit 1.50ish later today)

Multi-headed Cow

Well yeah, but if I wanted to wring my hands over every time I missed an opportunity to deshekel some rubes on Steam then I'd be upset about not buying hundreds of boosters when they were 3 cents a pop due to the exploit.

(I AM)

(I AM UPSET)

(IMAGINE ALL THE GABENBUX I MISSED)

'sides, the gem stuff still makes me uncomfortable. I like taking funny money and trading it for greater sums of funny money and then exchanging funny money for real money, but exchanging real money to funny money to try to get more real money out the other end makes me twitch. Plus if I wanted to do gems for +1s they still (Mostly) don't seem like a good deal to me. Generally speaking I don't buy Steam shit cheap just to +1 any more (Autumn sale I passed on the dozens of sub-dollar games I don't own just 'cause it would've been like $40 for a lot of +1 and I've been restraining myself) and most of the stuff I'm really interested in there is either going for more than what full retail price costs, or it's going for "Eh, normal deal price" cost. Like I looked at 7 Grand Steps since that was the one you mentioned and it's one I'm vaguely interested in, but it's currently going for 1,500 gems. At 60 cents per 1k that'd be faaaaaairly reasonable but if it was just selling on the store for 90 cents I'd probably skip it because Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble (Mousechief's other game) has been in a bundle before and I don't really care about 7 Steps enough to wanna throw a dollar at it while horrible bundles exist.

Also card update. 419 cards still up for sale on the market, current emone lod is $56.47. Since the cards are doing pretty well I might scoop up some autumn sale repeats if they roll around again, like Long Dark. That looked cool.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I get what you're saying, but at some point I realize that I'm going to end up spending money this sale (or in the future) so I may as well get some gabenbucks. Plus, I've always been a fan of economic games, which I've viewed this whole thing as.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom