Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
so this game can't be found for cheaper than 59 dollars, and no-one seems able to crack it on PC.

well done EA.

I find it pretty weird that the exact same game is released for two different generations of consoles. Is that common practice nowadays?

What if Donkey Kong Country had been ported to the 8-bit NES? :lol: That would've been atrocious.

Better than you might expect.

We've reached a point where that can be done just tuning down some settings, since games aren't making sudden jumps in graphics department anymore (NES to SNES is like WHOA WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THE FUTURE, PS3/Xbox360 to PS4/XBone is...eh, things look nicer I suppose). But DAI didin't look THAT good to begin with, to justify such a massive downgrade.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

10 pc of iron ore + 8 leather piece = 1 armor.

Armor sold to store = 2 gp.
All crafted shit = 2 gp.
All raw material is worth more than final product.
Offline MMO RPG economics.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not like money serves much of a purpose, anyway. If you pick up most loot and vendor it you will have a ton of money constantly, and the only thing to spend it on is a few cases of static vendor loot, much of which isn't very good anyway.

What happened to Bioware and loot? BG 1 & 2 had fantastic examples of vendor loot that you scrounged up coin to get because they were amazing, but I can't remember the last Bioware game after that where loot didn't feel pointless and arbitrary. Maybe NWN1? It had some okay pieces of vendor loot, but as I remember it had the same problem where random drops were always equivelant or much better.

I miss "unique" or uncommon effects on items. Now every RPG loves this model where items just change basic numbers that are affected by everything else, nothing as appealing as "increase casting speed by 500%" (robe of vecna).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Having the crafted items be worth more than the raw materials would be a horrible choice. That would just encourage people to craft random crap just to sell instead of just selling the materials if they want more money, which would only add more length to the time it takes to do the activity. Not many people would find crafting random stuff to be a fun activity.

I'm surprised that you of all people are seemingly advocating for a boring activity that would only exist to pad the time after you have complained that far too much of of the gameplay in DA:I is that.

That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it.

Say it takes five minutes total to gather 10 iron, which retail at 1 gp per piece. Then it takes another three minutes to craft an item from that 10 iron that can sell for 100 gp. In less than ten real time minutes you can earn more than what you would by merely gathering raw materials, which would need fifty minutes in comparison. Obviously, that saves time.

It's all down to how the economy is tweaked, and Bioware has full control over that. It'll be exactly as tedious as they want it to be, no more, no less.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is kinda off topic but I'd just like to point out how awful Bioware's forums are
f4I6jpf.jpg
"The first one to talk gets to stay on my forum!

WHO PAID YOU TO IMPERSONATE STANLEY WOO??? ...His account standing doesn't look so good! Who wants to try next?

TELL ME ABOUT /V/! WHY DO THEY POST ANONYMOUSLY??? ...A lot of loyalty for an main acc!"

"Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would revoke a man's posting privileges, before perma-banning him."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Or maybe it doesn't make much sense for the cost of labor to have zero or even negative value on the price of the material.

pippin

Bio won't copy ME because Dragon Age was their "hey, we're the same guys who made BG... sor
I find it pretty weird that the exact same game is released for two different generations of consoles. Is that common practice nowadays?

What if Donkey Kong Country had been ported to the 8-bit NES? :lol: That would've been atrocious.

Better than you might expect.

There was also the official GBC port, which was quite good considering how limited the hardware was.

Malpercio

Arcane
Certain things in this game are just so fucking stupid.

So Dorian got a new spell that allows him to reanimate enemies. Unfortunately, him doing so means they don't drop loot until the spell wears off or if you're busy closing a rift and he resurrects a demon, the fade rift doesn't recognise that all the demons are dead. Then you have to wait for the spell to wear off before you can close the rift. It's not very long so maybe no a big deal, but it's fucking annoying. Especially when you're hunting for crafting materials and your spirit bear suddenly runs off after a nug and you have to follow it to ensure you see where the loot drops.

Also, due to a bug I can't recruit Vivienne. No big loss, but still lol.

Happened to me too.
If you take control of him you can make the summon go away by pressing the ability button.

Still annoying, though.

Drakron

Arcane
so this game can't be found for cheaper than 59 dollars, and no-one seems able to crack it on PC.

well done EA.

Thats because its using a new DRM from Denuvo, FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen use it as well so its too new to been cracked yet.

Now who is Denuvo? SecuROM buyout by Sony ... you want to install that shit?

Stokowski

Arcane
Bio won't copy ME because Dragon Age was their "hey, we're the same guys who made BG... sor

Who exactly on the ME/ME2/ME3 team worked on Baldur's Gate? I can't think of one.

David Falkner was a long-serving programmer for Bioware from BG1 through to ME3.
Preston Watamaniuk was a mere QA scrub for BG2 and ended up as Lead Designer for the ME series. (!)
And Casey Hudson started as an extra programmer on BG2 who was Project Director for the ME series, before - ahem - associating himself with BG2: The Enhanced Edition.

So, no real continuity in designers or writers; just a stalwart programmer and a couple of newbs who hung around long enough to be put in charge of shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Having the crafted items be worth more than the raw materials would be a horrible choice. That would just encourage people to craft random crap just to sell instead of just selling the materials if they want more money, which would only add more length to the time it takes to do the activity. Not many people would find crafting random stuff to be a fun activity.

I'm surprised that you of all people are seemingly advocating for a boring activity that would only exist to pad the time after you have complained that far too much of of the gameplay in DA:I is that.

That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it.

Say it takes five minutes total to gather 10 iron, which retail at 1 gp per piece. Then it takes another three minutes to craft an item from that 10 iron that can sell for 100 gp. In less than ten real time minutes you can earn more than what you would by merely gathering raw materials, which would need fifty minutes in comparison. Obviously, that saves time.

It's all down to how the economy is tweaked, and Bioware has full control over that. It'll be exactly as tedious as they want it to be, no more, no less.

Every time I craft an item I find a better one in the field shortly after. I am very tempted to write-off the whole crafting system.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
so this game can't be found for cheaper than 59 dollars
Green Man Gaming screwed up by sending out a promo for 25% off all titles* "including Dragon Age: Inquisition".

*Dragon Age: Inquisition not included.

This led to a backlash and they ended up reissuing one-time vouchers privately to people who wrote in to complain about it.

You may still be able to get on board the discount train if you write in too. I politely explained that the 25% was advertised as including DA:I and they gave me a code. However, that was a couple days ago - the original promo was supposed to be over by now I think so maybe it won't work. Worth a try?

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally finished the game, and thought the main story was disappointingly short in length and mediocre, with the bright spots being four specific events and the cameos from and the references to the first two games. It certainly felt as if the main conflict was the shortest of the three games and was very straightforward.

Overall though, unless you have some sort of attachment to the Dragon Age Lore/Universe/Characters, you are not going to get much value from the game. Even then, I'd argue that the main story does nowhere near enough to justify slogging though the combat and content not related to the main quest and companions.

Malpercio

Arcane
It's not like money serves much of a purpose, anyway. If you pick up most loot and vendor it you will have a ton of money constantly, and the only thing to spend it on is a few cases of static vendor loot, much of which isn't very good anyway.

What happened to Bioware and loot? BG 1 & 2 had fantastic examples of vendor loot that you scrounged up coin to get because they were amazing, but I can't remember the last Bioware game after that where loot didn't feel pointless and arbitrary. Maybe NWN1? It had some okay pieces of vendor loot, but as I remember it had the same problem where random drops were always equivelant or much better.

I miss "unique" or uncommon effects on items. Now every RPG loves this model where items just change basic numbers that are affected by everything else, nothing as appealing as "increase casting speed by 500%" (robe of vecna).

It's not just Bioware sadly, itemization went to shit in recent years. I can almost recall every single item in BG2, but I have problem recalling any item from the last RPG I finished. Even Divinity failed hard with its random generated loot (yes, it's a series classic and yada yada, doesn't make it less shit).

I also dislike the introduction of "required level" for items. You defeat an enemy two times you level but you can't equip shit because your level is too low? Fucked stupid.

Rake

Arcane

It's not just Bioware sadly, itemization went to shit in recent years. I can almost recall every single item in BG2, but I have problem recalling any item from the last RPG I finished. Even Divinity failed hard with its random generated loot (yes, it's a series classic and yada yada, doesn't make it less shit).

I also dislike the introduction of "required level" for items. You defeat an enemy two times you level but you can't equip shit because your level is too low? Fucked stupid.
A hundred times this

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not sure this is a good thing or bad thing, but this is the first RPG where I am having to use companions I don't really like just to fill a slot. The specialization trees make every companion suited to one particular thing and nothing else. Blackwall has to be a tank, Iron Bull has to be DPS, Vivienne cannot be ranged support/DPS, etc. I guess this is common in Bioware RPGs but I never really was annoyed by it before. I want a pro-chantry, pro-templar party but the roles just don't fit together well. Tried converting Cassandra to DPS but she sucks at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom