Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

The Fish

Arcane
Have you been to Achenar (the capital system of the Empire) yet Ulminati? It's probably not that interesting given sol's supposed dullness but I was considering making the trip. And do you have any idea where the the Founder's World is? I seem to have a permit for it but I've no idea what the star system is called.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mortmal there's one in Dubyago Dock in Kanitisa

Been smuggling battle weapons to kanitisia, unfortunatly the profit is very low made 5K or so for 8 units, not worth it. Also every source of gold mysteriously dried out today... I cant believe its player effect, i went in one of them far way, stats= 1 hauler on traffic, yet the supply of metals is low on everything.

Bradylama

Arcane
Yeah, those permits can be a bitch. I wasn't able to jump to Sigmar because I need a permit from the Sigmar Corporation. It really ruined my travel plans.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I found a gas giant with a metal-rich ring. Before switching to mining, I decided to scope out the extraction site. It was crawling with pirates!

Long story short:

E66BCCC496B6676FE6DAC1019AE70075F97C5739

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Just made my way to Imperial space in a tricked out eagle. Now where all the war zones at?

Not found any, and i explored a lot.there's barely a few combat mission asking you to take down smugglers or authority vessels, paying a meager 10K.It doesnt encourage fighting at all, wont cover fuel+ ammo cost.

Bradylama

Arcane
Bounty hunting it is then. Good time to get practice in with the interdictor.

Edit: just experienced part of a mission path. An unidentified signal source had three ships chattering about my mark possibly jumping to another system.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There's voicecomms in ED. We just don't use them. :3

In-game voice comms always suck balls and don't count. Anyway, stop being a bunch of fags and get some mics.
I'm a poor third worldian, but I will get it a as a christmas present. But I like textcomms better anyway. :P

In any event, for those of you who worship this game as the most perfectest space sim evar, see here for what I consider to be fairly valid criticisms as well as some gen-yoo-wine undelivered promised features listed in the OP. There's been an explosion of pent-up whingeing ever since offline mode got axed.
Post is retarded, OP is a faggot.

On a more serious note, although the note about the missing features is correct, but the game being boring cannot be farther from the truth. The guy says that he already got bored when he arrived at a station and dock. For me, the very notion of docking and lunching is exciting. Both are easy (seriously, learn docking pussies), but they look so cool. I don't care about not being able to share the loot effectively with my coop buddy, because I will rarely play coop, and when I do, I will not do it for money, just for the fun of blowing others out of the sky.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I didn't say I agreed with all of them, but I do believe they're fairly valid. Yes, for me, the fun of the game is in becoming a highly skilled pilot. Which ships I have, how many credits, etc. are less important. To many people, though, the rest of the fiddly bits of the game are very important.

Docking takes about five seconds to learn, how on Earth could anyone have trouble with it? You go into the vagina and hit the g-spot, it's piss-easy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Docking takes about five seconds to learn, how on Earth could anyone have trouble with it? You go into the vagina and hit the g-spot, it's piss-easy.
Good analogy. :lol: I don't get myself how is difficult for anyone, yet there are always people who complain about it being hard on the frontier forums.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Real men boost towards the station entrance, turn flight assist off, flip 180 and blast backwards into the station at 300+ m/s

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If you buy me an anaconda I'll give it a try. :3

Currently stuck in cobra and it's going to be a while before I upgrade.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lots of people complaining on the official forums about their trade routes being wrecked. It seems our gold disappearing has to do with FD tweaking the numbers on trade goods to put trading credits/min more in line with bounty hunting/mining/exploration.

Mortmal

Arcane
Lots of people complaining on the official forums about their trade routes being wrecked. It seems our gold disappearing has to do with FD tweaking the numbers on trade goods to put trading credits/min more in line with bounty hunting/mining/exploration.

At this rate it will take me 10 years to buy that imperial clipper i just found.So much cash and a prince reputation in empire to boot....I tried mining a bit but scooping all those lillte fragments drive me crazy quickly, its not for me.Apparently people making money are the on mining pure metal roids.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
They should make a better tutorial for each career, because the current one looks like this:
1) start and dock (roofles)
2) how to target (roofles)
3) how to hyperjump and supercruise (just press the button duhhh, but we won't explain the intricasies of supercruising)
4-5-6-7-8) different variations for combat, some of them are unbeatable for new players because they put you up against superior firepower.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They should make a better tutorial for each career, because the current one looks like this:
1) start and dock (roofles)
2) how to target (roofles)
3) how to hyperjump and supercruise (just press the button duhhh, but we won't explain the intricasies of supercruising)
4-5-6-7-8) different variations for combat, some of them are unbeatable for new players because they put you up against superior firepower.

Tutorials were added before exploration/trading/mining was implemented. That's why they're all combat-related. They will (probably) add those at a later date. It's not really a priority during beta/gamma. Better to spend their time adding features and fixing bugs.

At this rate it will take me 10 years to buy that imperial clipper i just found.So much cash and a prince reputation in empire to boot....I tried mining a bit but scooping all those lillte fragments drive me crazy quickly, its not for me.Apparently people making money are the on mining pure metal roids.

There are 3 things to be aware of for mining.

1:
You can mine from "clusters" or "rings". Clusters are belts around a star, which contain a small number (10 or so, scattered far) of asteroids to mine. Belts are around gas giants. They contain an "infinite" number of asteroids, fairly close together. You'll have to go to an "extraction site" to get at them, which becomes visible when you're ~5-10 Ls away from the gas giant. Extraction sites have mining npcs, police ships and pirates flying around as well, so you may end up in the crossfire.

2:
Type of minerals you get value icy>rocky>metal rich>metallic.
You generally don't want to bother with icy or rocky rings. You'll be lucky to get some cheapass bauxite out of that. Metallic is way, way better than metal rich, but also rarer. Once you've (surface?) scanned a planet or cluster, the system map will tell you what type of ring it is.

3:
The system map will also - much more importantly - tell you what level of reserves an asteroid belt or gas giant with rings has. Ratings go from "Depleted" (don't bother) through common (meh), abundant/high (acceptable) to pristine (yes plz!). The reserves define how much you can mine from a single asteroid. But - and here's the kicker - the amount of "chunks" you can mine from an asteroid is more or less constant across all types. If an area has good reserves, chunks will have a higher metal content and you'll need fewer chunks to gain a unit of metal. Hence you'll be spending less time scooping and your hold will fill faster.

It's generally not worth your time to go for anything less than metal-rich/common reserves. Ideally you want metallic/pristine. You'll have to either do some scanning of your own or buy survey data though. The pre-explored systems (nearly) always have depleted reserves.

They haven't implemented scanning of asteroids for mineral hot spots yet. (Even though Braben & co said they would). You can shoot anywhere on the asteroid and it won't make a difference as to what it yields. That said, if you can keep your laser pointed at the same spot while the asteroid rotates, the chunks will line up in a neat row that's easy to scoop up. If you move the beam over the surface, the chunks will scatter

If you aren't looking to mine, extraction sites can still be a source of income. If there are NPC miners, odds are pirates will show up. It's generally not worth being the first agressor, as NPCs may turn on you if you are. But if you keep a lookout for orange flashes (mining lasers are purple), you can usually find some bounty hunters/police ships fighting a pirate. You can farm the pirates for bounties with relatively little risk to yourself.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Patch rolling out. Looks like bug fixes only.

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests Gamma 1.02 is on its way soon. The servers will be down for at least an hour from 2.30PM GMT, after that we'll reopen space and let you loose again!

The full change log is below:

- Fix kinematic soft lock loading game
- Fix for softlock on shutdown regarding fog volumes
- Fix possible memory leak in the system map
- Add in some missing metadata from populated authored systems far outside the usual generation range
- Missing backer system ‘Pepper’ added
- Correct the station ID for the station in 17 Draconis
- Deeper telemetry to diagnose what/why we're getting stuck entering the game in certain circumstances
- When the server has too many stellar forge request, bounce it back so the game can try a different server
- Fix for lighting not appearing in the right eye on stereoscopic modes
- Handle the case where directional lights are removed while processing the view culling data
- Improve MTU discovery handshake
- Ensure location s are not sent if they are no longer valid
- Improve upnp clean up code
- Provide feedback telemetry when system data is received from the server which is either internally inconsistent, or inconsistent with the game's own data
- Additional telemetry to help get to the bottom of why some players get stuck entering the game.

Morkar Left

Great, can't play without being forced to update. At least the server is now ready again to download the patch...

Edit: Okaay, is it normal that yawing and pitching in a sidewinder is slow as fuck or are my controls somehow messed up?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom