Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Turjan

Arcane
This stroking of the player's ego never ends...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would sacrifice actual human babies to get a decent D&D RPG (even action-y) with this level of production quality and scope made. Too bad Hasbro wants the license to sit dead and unused (or if used, used by tiny studios).

Well, good news - hasbro just lost its license so wizards of the coast is doing things again to dungeons and dragons. I follow Trent Oster on twitter and he's really happy to be working with wizards instead of hashbro, since wizards are much more agreeable...

Quote from him :"
Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster 22. okt.
Just finished up meetings with the Wizards of the Coast. My mind is blown with how awesome the future looks"

On the whole randomly singing thing... Its disney and it appeals to 10-12 year olds. You can't take the story seriously after you've seen something like that.

Edit:" - another quote from trent on twitter;
Trent Oster @TrentOster · 23. okt.
From what we saw, the future of #DnD is going to be amazing. I'm crazy excited!"

Uh, Hasbro is the owner of Wizards of the Coast. They didn't lose anything.

What Trent is glad about is that Atari is no longer in the picture, but that's been the case for over a year now.

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
On the whole randomly singing thing... Its disney and it appeals to 10-12 year olds. You can't take the story seriously after you've seen something like that.

A few 50 year olds would like a word

giphy.gif

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
For me the worst part about the Derp Roads is that it ruined the actually interesting part that came right afterwards, where you fight with that dwarf Legion on a bridge, then you go into those cool ruins and get the Broodmother section. By the time I got there I was so tired of shitty cave combat that I couldn't appreciate it, I just wanted it to be over already.
That was exactly my problem. I played DA:O at least seven times but I never finished it. I ALWAYS left the derp roads for last, even tried running them on "consoletard" difficulty to spead it up. No use. All I had to do was call the Landsmeet and be done with it but... all my motivation had vaporized. Burned out. Bye game.
And being one of those players that cannot continue from old saves months later, but have to start fresh... well. At least there was jewtube to give me closure.
The only other game I never finished because of loosing motivation is GTA4. DA:O doesn't deserve that company. :obviously:

The console command: runscript killallhostiles helps a lot here. Hell, it allowed me to finish this gem of a gaem in the first place.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Uh, Hasbro is the owner of Wizards of the Coast. They didn't lose anything.

What Trent is glad about is that Atari is no longer in the picture, but that's been the case for over a year now.

Yeah ok - Hashbro, Atari, apparently the same thing in my mind. ;)

Edit --

A few 50 year olds would like a word

giphy.gif

It is a well known fact that brains shrink as people get older, 50 year olds are apparently the same as 10-12 year olds as evidenced by this. :P

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Deep roads is the best zone of the game along with Redcliff castle.No jrpg level of backtracking like the fucking elf forest.Also both zones felt right with the main quest as the darkspawn are the enemy where forest and mage tower broke the pace.You spent 4-5 game hours in each of them when there is invasion going on."Oh yeah orcs ,lest go back to that I guess"

Zeriel

Arcane

Yep. I just kept shaking my head. This is crazier than SWTOR.

Later Bioware games give me the impression that they're talking past me to some other player. Everything falls flat and feels awkward.

They even gave you the "I'm not the chosen one!" dialogue options this time around, only to have NPCs lecture you about why you are wrong if you pick them. Why even bother implementing them in the first place?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Later Bioware games give me the impression that they're talking past me to some other player. Everything falls flat and feels awkward.

They even gave you the "I'm not the chosen one!" dialogue options this time around, only to have NPCs lecture you about why you are wrong if you pick them. Why even bother implementing them in the first place?

rk47: HEY BOSS
Burning Pines: derp
rk47: 'YOU MUST NOW SCOUT NORTH'
Burning Pines: scene fading out
rk47: 'THERE U WILL FIND A FREE CASTLE'
rk47: lol
Burning Pines: wow teh army :DD
rk47: HAHAHAAH
rk47: fucking hilarious
rk47: i haven the foggiest idea why im listening to this elf
rk47: what if he's wrong
rk47: and how come he KNOWS?!
Burning Pines: wow no snow inside the castle?
rk47: lol
rk47: it's sunny cause u got here
Burning Pines: or do they teleport somewhere else?
rk47: dont u see the power of the herald
rk47: WILL U SUCK HIS DICK
rk47: YEAHHHH
rk47: ISNT HE THE BEST GAMER EVER
rk47: YEAHHHHH
rk47: ACHIEVEMENT
rk47: SENSE OF PRIDE
rk47: EVERYTHING
rk47: YOU DA BEST
rk47: EVA

Last edited:

Ulrox

Arbiter
The stroking of ego is part of the way the game manipulates you into playing it. If you're feeling bad then it will have an impact nomatter how smart you think you are. The lower base of the brain will register it and it will fill you with happy emotions. Our brains are evolutionarily made to want everyone to love us, that is part of how we survived in tribes for ages. We are monkeys and that is why dragon age inquisition will sell like hotcakes and why the codex secretly loves it and has to play it through till the end, but the higher part of the codex member brain is also disgusted at the same time...

So there you have it. Bad writing can be circumvented by mind control.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Actually, I think this isn't handled that poorly. You can deny being the chosen one, being only a victim of circumstance (HA!), and people will react different to this response depending on their believes (someones belives you're sent by the maker, others thing that the faith you inspire in others is what matters). Of course, I've yet to see someone who blatantly denies your divinity, and even the really esceptic people like Varric, they "start to belive", etc.

But yes, the ego stroking is freaking off the charts. This is no longer hero territory, like most Bioware games, this is messiah territory, and it's constantly in your face, because it's one of the main themes of the game.

Zeriel

Arcane

Actually, I think this isn't handled that poorly. You can deny being the chosen one, being only a victim of circumstance (HA!), and people will react different to this response depending on their believes (someones belives you're sent by the maker, others thing that the faith you inspire in others is what matters). Of course, I've yet to see someone who blatantly denies your divinity, and even the really esceptic people like Varric, they "start to belive", etc.

But yes, the ego stroking is freaking off the charts. This is no longer hero territory, like most Bioware games, this is messiah territory, and it's constantly in your face, because it's one of the main themes of the game.

I understand some of it is intentional, but some of it just feels lazy.

If the views remained consistent it would be one thing, but people suddenly flip from "lol yeah its just for appearances man, go with it" to "YOU ARE THE MESSIAH!!!!" even people who are by nature cynical.

Bioware has been at this for a while though, offering 2-3 "wrong" choices that just lead to the NPCs berating you and then defaulting to the same path choice #1 would have resulted in. I have a strong distaste for games lecturing you, I'd rather they just had the one choice and be done with it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So far the game is good for what it is.. Definitely better then DA 2 or ME 3..

One thing though.. Does anyone else feel that overwhelming SJW influence on this game? Almost every woman is some kind of burly manly lesbian or weird fan fic shill..

For example.. Cassandra (The short black haired "girl" at the start) to me embodies a skinny / hotter version of every Man Hating self-contradictory butt hurt lesbian I have ever met in my life.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nothing felt earned man, the green hand with new powers, and the fucking stronghold.
At least weaboo had naruto grinding waterfalls for 2-3 episodes before he figured out how to weave Super Rasengan.
In this game, the hero gets clobbered around, dropkick a landslide, escape in a comical fashion, and fell through a hole.
Voila. You wake up and your green hand has new powers. Also, here's your free stronghold.

Zeriel

Arcane
The worst part of that "Herald of Andraste" shit is it's transparently obvious from the beginning what the big twist is going to be: that "woman" in the rift in the very beginning is Justinia transferring the power to you (after all, why would Andraste be wearing a fucking clerical head-dress when she lived before her religion was even founded?), not Andraste. It doesn't take a genius to put this shit together. The moment you see those visions in the temple you should have the option to bring this up, but nope.

In a way it reminds me of the trick bad TV shows use to further their plots: all characters are conveniently dumb and can't figure things out until the crucial moment. This can work just barely in TV because you aren't those characters, but in games the effect is excruciatingly worse, especially if said game tries to give you a veneer of choice, because the underlying message of "this is your story!" is so blatantly untrue. And yeah, we all know this as Bioware's modus operandi, but it's so out in the open here I'm genuinely shocked to see critics saying "Dragon Age Inquisition is truly your tale!". It must be something in the water.

Zeriel

Arcane
It must be something in the water.
:takemymoney:

Like it needs to be said.

From what we've heard these people don't get much money when they get bribed, and most don't actually get bribed. I guess pressure from above to write a certain way to keep your job is in a way way more compelling than an actual bribe, though. Annual salary is a lot more money than a one-off payment.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It must be something in the water.
:takemymoney:

Like it needs to be said.

From what we've heard these people don't get much money when they get bribed, and most don't actually get bribed. I guess pressure from above to write a certain way to keep your job is in a way way more compelling than an actual bribe, though. Annual salary is a lot more money than a one-off payment.
What's really the difference when you know where your salary comes from?

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing though.. Does anyone else feel that overwhelming SJW influence on this game? Almost every woman is some kind of burly manly lesbian or weird fan fic shill..
Well, I just encountered this in the game:

euib.jpg

There are also codex lore entries going into great detail about the sexual preferences of the different people of Thedas.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Love the videos RK47, keep it up. :D

Might have been posted before. Daniel Vavra didn't like DAI much:
maC5nE9.png

Yeah, what is up with the capitalized subtitles on the top of the screen?

Skyrim sold more on pc than either individual console, but not both consoles combined.

That sounds highly unlikely, do you got a source for that?

(Considering there is no OOO for Skyrim, and it's quite strange nothing like that appeared, it can't be even the original excuse "modders would fix it".)

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...tly-about-requiem.66621/page-141#post-3610254

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom