Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey kids

We're gearing up to beta-test v1.1 - with updates and changes. If you have the game on Steam already and are keen to beta-test 1.1, let me know. I'll throw in a free soundtrack if you end up helping out.

EDIT: You don't HAVE to have Steam, but getting the beta on Steam is quicker, to note.

Bt

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Thanks for the tip. I've purchased Quest for Infamy, and am installing it now. Have loved playing thief characters ever since the original Hero's Quest, and will definitely play one here. Judging by the screenshots this game might make certain feminist heads explode, so that's an added bonus.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey kids

We're gearing up to beta-test v1.1 - with updates and changes. If you have the game on Steam already and are keen to beta-test 1.1, let me know. I'll throw in a free soundtrack if you end up helping out.

EDIT: You don't HAVE to have Steam, but getting the beta on Steam is quicker, to note.

Bt

Does that mean the physical boxes might be heading out soon....?

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey, sorry man - just busy - lemme fill ya in.

I'm going to be doing a KS update about the boxes and swag soon here; but it's most likely that they won't be finished and sent out until after Christmas at this point. The boxes are being printed, but it's going to take longer to finish mastering the DVD and everything else on it. So, basically, it'll be be arriving to quell the post Christmas let-down.

The update on KS/Email will have more details about everything, but I wanted to give you the quick and dirty version.

Bt

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dammit Blackthorne You can't squeeze oil out of a fish by your hands, it doesn't make sense. This puzzle made me look up a walkthrough.:argh:

Game is cool though.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hahah, yeah - I thought I wrote it so it made fun of the incredulous nature of that solution; being that there's fish chunk in the solution. You can get actual fish oil by another method, but that's the backup. It's one of those "take the piss out of adventure game puzzles" solutions.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, that is a cool feature Humble has. But, hey, hopefully we'll get a decent cut. Every bit we make helps to fund a future QFI 2.

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's obviously too late for this to be useful guidance, but Groupees wound up being not a particularly great deal for us from a bottom-line standpoint. WEG sold 35,000 copies of Primordia through the bundle (Steam keys, many of which I suppose were resold), and after the pie was divided and Groupees took its 30% cut, the revenue to WEG was about $6,350. In other words, around 18 cents a copy. Now, since I would rather the game just be given away, it doesn't really bother me that much, but I do suspect it was overall a net loss for us. Obviously some of those were sales we wouldn't have gotten otherwise (perhaps because people liked other games in the bundle, or wouldn't have bought the game for more), and presumably it generated some useful word of mouth. But I imagine some of those people might have bought the game for $2 from Steam, which would've yielded $1.40 a copy. Meh.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blackthorne It seems that sales were a bit disappointing based on a few of your post so I'm wondering how much producing the physical goodies is going to hurt you financially? Did you put aside that portion of the KS funds or did you have to dip into it to help complete the game? I know I love me my box editions but I would not enjoy it knowing it might keep you from producing another QfI game...

.... now don't get me wrong I still want my boxed copy but I just wouldn't enjoy it as much.... :martini:

Last edited:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, you know - sales were not what we hoped for. I had put aside a certain amount of money for the production of the physical goods, so that's nice - what's probably going to bone me more is the cost of shipping these days. So, no - the production of the physical goods won't be what prevents us from making Quest For Infamy 2 - honestly, QFI seems to be picking up steam lately; more and more people are discovering it, and if interest keeps developing, that will help us make QFI 2. Plus, we're going to have to make more games - the more you build your name, the larger your audience gets. So our next project will not likely be QFI 2, but a smaller game.

While making physical stuff can get initially expensive, I have to say - I'm really psyched about it. Making the box, the DVD, the manual, the map and stuff.... I mean, I collected those boxes when I was growing up to. Making this shit is just as much for me as it is for everyone else who got in on it. I'm just trying to make sure I'm making something I would have wanted myself 20 years ago.

The box is all ready and going to printers soon - the manual is done, and that will be printed as well as the map. I'm going to have the old blue and grey system requirement stickers printed up soon as well.
SystemRequirementsSticker.jpg

The thing we're waiting on is to finish v1.1 - it's taken longer because we don't have as many people able to contribute time to it like they used to - a lot of the guys have other full times jobs and such, and while they still contribute, time is more limited. We also wanted to make sure we did a good job with an update, cause AGS'll ruin your old saves for one so this should be an updated experience, AND we're going to press this to disk, so we wanted the one going out in print to be as "clean" as possible. I'm sure even after 1.1 launches, we'll pick up a few more minor bugs, correct them - master and author the DVD, send it to the manufacturer and get the DVD sets back. After that, I'll be packing up all the boxes by hand, and shrink wrapping them - I'll probably throw hand-written notes into a few for people I've gotten to know well, and get them out. We might not have been the biggest funded Kickstater, but I'm going to make sure our boxed game is one of the best. Then, maybe 20 years from now.... people will flock to throw $375,000 at us to do a non-talkie version of QFI with double-retro graphics by that point! Heh.

Anyway, we're picking up steam, and I think QFI's getting out there more and more every day. Roehm wasn't built in a day.

Yeah. I fucking wrote that.

Bt

mindx2

Patron
Yeah, you know - sales were not what we hoped for. I had put aside a certain amount of money for the production of the physical goods, so that's nice -
Smart and sound management.

While making physical stuff can get initially expensive, I have to say - I'm really psyched about it. Making the box, the DVD, the manual, the map and stuff.... I mean, I collected those boxes when I was growing up to. Making this shit is just as much for me as it is for everyone else who got in on it. I'm just trying to make sure I'm making something I would have wanted myself 20 years ago.

The box is all ready and going to printers soon - the manual is done, and that will be printed as well as the map. I'm going to have the old blue and grey system requirement stickers printed up soon as well.
SystemRequirementsSticker.jpg
That is pretty cool... :thumbsup:

I'll probably throw hand-written notes into a few for people I've gotten to know well, and get them out.

Something for your Codex bros, I hope....? :troll:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey guys - well, Quest For Infamy made the Top 100 of Indie of The Year Awards at indieDB - if you're into this kind of thing, head on over and give us a vote.

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2014-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100

I know this kind of stuff can be lame, but it's more exposure for us - and anything like that could help us to produce the sequel in the future. Any more eyes we can get on our game is a good thing - so, basically, this is a super cheap way to help us out, and I appreciate it.

Bt

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks like you don't even need to have an IndieDB account to vote :thumbsup:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom