Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What are the best settings to use for ePSXe? I mean, to get the best "original" experience, with maybe a bit of higher resolution or something. I tried fiddling with it, can't seem to hit the "right" note. I'm also getting some black seams in the levels, and framerate feels "jerky" for some reason, even though there is no real slow down, just the way it renders when moving around that doesn't feel right. I'm trying with the first Armored Core, not sure if maybe its the game. I'm going to download a few more isos to try i guess.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Are you using an OpenGL or a Directx plugin?
Black seams are usually under Offscreen drawing and Framebuffer Textures. You know you can hit Del and fiddle with the video settings while in game right?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I didn't know.

I tried both OpenGL, D3D and Software. Nothing works. I still get those black seams and when i turn around everything is kinda wobbly, i don't know how else to describe it. Like the game is having an hard time keeping up with the rendering even though the FPS doesn't drop or anything.

So i tried another game, the first Metal Gear Solid, and i don't get any of the seams, but the rendering problem is still there.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Bros, multikill - Desmume X432R

Bee looks kinda low-res in default internal:
WG9EQUi.jpg

Using 3x internal (Opengl) adds some polygones, but disables filtering / shaders (am I doing something wrong?).

SgayQE3.jpg
:(

What game is that? Looks like Bravery Default (similiar art style). I though it was still not available for emulation...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, this long play shows precisely what i'm talking about:

Maybe this how it actually was on the original PS? Its like the game can't load the textures fast enough. I find the effect very jarring. I also couldn't find a single video of Armored Core that didn't show those black lines. Either they are all from an emulator or maybe that's how it was with the original game. :negative:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haha, PC version has the same problem:

And in Armored Core, you can definitely see the texture change abruptly as you move around. At least that saves me the trouble of having to keep fiddling with the settings.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
3D rendering on the PSX was not very accurate so the geometry wobbling etc. is normal. You'll just have to get used to it.
This video seems to be captured from the real hardware and shows the same glitches:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bleh, god damn peasant hardware. Though i find it strange that Kind's Field doesn't have those seam glitches, though it is an earlier game. But whatever, i'm just pocking around for now, will worry about getting used to this crap later.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
PSX initially was not designed for 3D. They somewhat moded it later during the development. Just compare 3D-games from Saturn or N64 and PSX.

spekkio

Arcane
@LS:

From PS1 emus:

1) pSX is probably the easiest to use. You just need bios and that's it. No plugins, no advanced (non-native) graphical options, good compatibility. Very low hardware requirements.

http://www.emuparadise.me/emulators/files/user/pSX_1_13-1220.rar

2) epsxe can be a bitch to configure: plugins, graphical decline enhancements. Software plugin is the way to go if you don't care for those enhancements. It’s one of the oldest and best PS1 emus, don’t listen to Gragt.

http://www.emuparadise.me/emulators/files/ePSXe190.zip

3) Mednafen has very accurate PS1 core ATM. But it isn't very user-friendly (no GUI, meh frontend, configuring can take same time). Still, recommended if you want accurate emulation / don’t care about enhancements and shit.

http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/releases/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/medgui/

4) I wouldn't recommend others (Xebra, Pcsx): hard to use / not that great.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That pSX one works very well. At the original settings the game looks so grainy that you can't even see the seams, haha. But the whole thing seems more coherent, and the game seems to move better, even though that might just be my imagination. I think i'll stick to that one for now.

Anything similar for PS2 as well? I currently have PCSX2.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
pSX was my emulator of choice for a while but it is a dead-end now. The author abandonned it and its closed source status means that it will fade into obscurity soon enough.

ePSXe is one of the oldest, but that's hardly a recommendation. The interesting part is that it is true in another way: the thing hasn't received a serious update in years, with only basic increments and an obvious link to invite you to buy the Android version. Closed source, pretty much abandoned, and one of the best exemples of plugin hell: it made sense to use it when it was pretty much the best way to play PSX games without having a real PSX, but by itself that's a dubious honour. It stopped being relevant when better alternatives appeared. It's only strength, if you can call it that, is to improve the look of some games, but then you have to accept stuff inevitably breaking down at one point or another.

Mednafen's PSX core may still be a WIP but it is much better than ePSXe. I'm not fond the philosophy behind the emulator, i.e "one size fits all", but accurate PSX emulation on Windows and other platform is what it delivers. So far I haven't needed a front-end since the configuration file is easy enough to modify with something like Notepad++.

spekkio

Arcane
The author abandonned it and its closed source status means that it will fade into obscurity soon enough
Yeeeah, since PS1 emulation has oh so many milestones yet to be achieved. :roll: I will keep using pSX as long as it works on my OS, fading into obscurity or not. :lol:
Your obsession with emus still being worked on becomes funny. Shit is old, but gets job done, works on Win7 64... what more do you want?
Oh - it's not perfect? Well, duh - no emu is. Pcsx2 is "being worked on" all the time, yet AFAIR didn't receive any major improvements in ~5 years.

Shit no longer works on newshit OS? Well - too bad. Maybe authors will release an update (like epsxe fags did), Russian hackers will enrich it (Makaron). And if not – most of the time you can switch to something else, not necessarily open-source. Dolphin is open source, yet nobody was able (bothered?) to quickly fix recent crashes on Nvidia chipsets. It required driver upgrade (evil closed source!).

the thing hasn't received a serious update in years, with only basic increments and an obvious link to invite you to buy the Android version.
OMG, fuckers just fool around and suck money off rich kids with their smartphones. How horrible! They should KEEP UPDATING!!!1!! :roll: Who cares - they coded some nice piece of software >10 years ago and still can get some money from it - kudos to them.

It's only strength, if you can call it that, is to improve the look of some games, but then you have to accept stuff inevitably breaking down at one point or another.
Well, I played Tomb Raider 1 PSX from beginning to the end, the game looked slightly better than the PC-Glide version (Opengl plugin), but had better music and quicksaves. And nothing broke down AFAIR. :?
But I admit - most of the time I just use Software rendering (psX or epsxe + peopssoft, now mednafen probably).

Mednafen's PSX core may still be a WIP but it is much better than ePSXe.
Well, I tested all my 180 PS1 games on both pSX and epsxe. All of them worked, with some problems in case of pSX. How many games did you test on Mednafen so far? Not that I don’t believe you, this emu looks p. dope indeed.

I'm not fond the philosophy...
Yeah - that seems to be the problem...

Closed source = bad. Open source = good.
Not updating your (even good) shit = bad. Constant updates (often pointless, let's face it – that’s how open source works) = good.
Multiplatform / various cores = bad. Dedicated emulators / cores only = good.

BRO, who cares if she's atheist, kike or scientologist - as long as she's doable willing into multiplayer pony racing games...

:smug:

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
picky cunt said:
How many games did you test on Mednafen so far?
Decided to help a little. :oops:

Mednafen 0.9.36.4 x64

sOCuXHz.jpg

rvykj8j.jpg

ufPYH5j.jpg

rr0agMT.jpg

iqlWkm5.jpg

nC0DxmQ.jpg

x5ZFr87.jpg

kNX4e8S.jpg

zsxpGZG.jpg

l2RbNmF.jpg

ipKBpn2.jpg

DxYrw39.jpg

7wNEGZq.jpg

UFnMbaD.jpg

I3fn3hx.jpg

3yE8Da3.jpg

uK2H3FE.jpg

dwcWyAZ.jpg

c6eRViZ.jpg

1E4etUZ.jpg

Wa6yzTx.jpg

Js2m7C4.jpg

ioPDPU4.jpg

b65yBpV.jpg

vrNDx0W.jpg

8pjqCHT.jpg

FQTFfcl.jpg

4zxQvYV.jpg

5naBArz.jpg
Everything looks good: games run fine, with proper vidya and audio.

funny-gif-thumb-up-facebook-comment.gif

Ivan

Arcane
spekkio Bro, how does Metroid Prime 3: Corruption run for you? I'm getting horrible frame rate drops. Prime 1 and 2 ran perfectly (save for the Ridley fight in 1, was a slideshow)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tried out the new Dolphin build on a relatively old computer (Core 2 Quad @ 2.66ghz, Radeon HD 4850).

Metroid Prime 3 runs at acceptable frame rates now. At 60 FPS most times with occasional drops to 40ish. Game used to run at like a consistent 25 FPS. Also changing resolution seems to have almost no affect on frame rate.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeeeah, since PS1 emulation has oh so many milestones yet to be achieved. :roll:

It does. PSX emulation is not in a very good state right now, though not as bad as the Genesis, Saturn, or Nintendo 64.

I will keep using pSX as long as it works on my OS, fading into obscurity or not. :lol:

That's your prerogative. I did not question that at all.

Your obsession with emus still being worked on becomes funny. Shit is old, but gets job done, works on Win7 64... what more do you want?
Oh - it's not perfect? Well, duh - no emu is. Pcsx2 is "being worked on" all the time, yet AFAIR didn't receive any major improvements in ~5 years.

It may work, but how well? What exactly happens under the hood? Will it play every game I throw at it? Many emulators that reputedly "get the job done" do so with hacks for specific games. The result is that some games, typically the popular ones, will play pretty much as expected but other, less popular, games will run into all sort of issues, from graphics to timing. An ideal emulator should be as accurate as possible to the real hardware, so every game should play "out of the box", including the "hidden gems" and the obscure releases that may surface from time to time—this happens more frequently than you think and less accurate emulators are usually lost when they encounter them because they miss their usual crutches.

I know ne emulator is perfect, but that does not prevent me from reaching for it. I am an elitist and that means I want the best in life. Actually, despite many claiming to the contrary, we all tend to be. I see no reasons why emulators should be any different.

OMG, fuckers just fool around and suck money off rich kids with their smartphones. How horrible! They should KEEP UPDATING!!!1!! :roll: Who cares - they coded some nice piece of software >10 years ago and still can get some money from it - kudos to them.

I do not trust an outdated emulator in general, and I simply find it dubious when it is only fueled by greed like ePSXe these days. If you have no problems with that, then again that shows the difference in our standards.

Well, I tested all my 180 PS1 games on both pSX and epsxe. All of them worked, with some problems in case of pSX. How many games did you test on Mednafen so far? Not that I don’t believe you, this emu looks p. dope indeed.

Not many, but I ran into a few extreme cases like Symphony of the Night that freezes during dialogs on pSX and ePSXe would refuse to run it in most cases, and when it would then I'd run into glitches. Yes, I am sure, that if I spent time fiddling with various plugins it could run in an acceptable way, but since I am philosophically against the plugin hell design and thus poorly enclined to waste my time with it, I prefer the easy way of running it in Mednafen that hasn't given me a single complaint.

That said, that's just one game. But I follow emulation news about that sort of stuff, and there are some people, far more knowledgeable than me on the inner workings of emulators, who test that stuff throughly. I am but a layman but I like to keep myself informed.

I'm not fond the philosophy...
Yeah - that seems to be the problem...

Closed source = bad. Open source = good.
Not updating your (even good) shit = bad. Constant updates (often pointless, let's face it – that’s how open source works) = good.
Multiplatform / various cores = bad. Dedicated emulators / cores only = good.

You miscontrue my opinion, with vehemency in general and dishonesty at times.

Though the majority of the emulators I use are open source, that's not because they are open source but simply because they have the qualities I seek in an emulator; that they happen to be open source is a complete coincidence; else there are a few closed source emulators that I use without losing sleep at night. I am not a blind follower of open source but I see its value for the development of emulators. In the case of an emulator, where accuracy matters, a closed source raise some questions, and if it doesn't then it should! Not all emulators make claims of accuracy, but some do, and in case of a closed source emulator one can only wonder why it is so. Does it have something to hide? Is it as accurate as it claims or does it use hacks? Also with an open source the rest of the emulation scene can benefit from it, and there are cases of emulators that benefited from each other's development. Assuming a very accurate emulator comes out but does not share its source, that means that the other authors must reinvent the wheel. Will that serve emulation in the long run? I don't think so.

And then there is the case for the future. I know you demonstrated here as well as many other times your affinity for homeostasis—I remember you clung to Windows XP for some time—but that is also something that matters. As you wrote yourself, no emulator is perfect. Thus it makes sense to see it improve. Nestopia is a very good NES emulator, one that manages to deal with the madness that is the NES mappers, yet its author abandonned it. It was very mature and reliable, and so I continued to use it for years, but there were still some bugs left and room for improvement. Thankfully someone else picked it up a few years later and continue where the original author had left it, fixing bugs and improving it. No need lose time reinventing the wheel and we all benefit from it, emulator authors and users alike. That wouldn't have been possible with a closed source. And that is exactly what happened with Kega: Steve Snake is considered as a great programmer in the emulation community, and Kega is a testament to that, but sticking to a closed source ended up hurting his work not once but twice: once when he lost the source and had to rewrite everything from scratch, and a second time when he abandonned the development for personal issues. You may say that the second only hurts us, the users, but a man becomes his work in time. The fact is that Kega is still good, and I still use it, but it is slowly sliding into obsolescence—there are some of these new obscure games recently released that it cannot play. One can only wonder the state of Genesis emulation now if he had released his source; I am pretty sure Kega would have continued to improve and it would have stimulated other emulators to appear. Instead people were forced, once again, to reinvent the wheel. pSX is another such case, and one that was so promising because it offered a more than decent alternative to the then already clunky ePSXe, and we know what happened there too.

There is also another reason to use emulators that are still in active development: bug reports. By using a dead emulator, you rob those still working for the future of emulation of precious test data. I know that not everybody sees it that way, but feedback is invaluable for developers, whether they practice open or closed source. Mednafen, to use it again, still evolves because of such data.

Now, I don't remember ever complaining about multiplatform emulators. If anything, one would think that open source would promote just that. My guess is that you conflated me with some other people without really reading what I wrote. The same way, I am not opposed to multicore emulators, just sceptical about them for the simple reason that 1) I'd rather see each core being worked on individually as their own project instead of ressources being shared or even wasted on many at once, with the possibility of some falling behind, and 2) having a same interface or system to service different cores may not be the most optimal thing in the world as I do not believe that one emulated system is another and this may lead to a lack of optimisation. That said, I use some of these emulators without problems and closely follow their development, welcoming the opportunity for them to prove me wrong. I would say that this is more of a preference on my part, but as it is often the case there is some rationality behind these preferences instead of mere blind passion. And I am open-minded enough to see the benefits they can bring.

In the end, I do not really care what you, or anybody else, wants to use, or the reasons behind it. But I do not see emulation merely as a way to play game but as a way to preserve games: I hold the belief that a work is its own best explaination, and so more than any books on the subject, an emulator like DOSBox does far more to preserve the history of video games than someone writing about them—although that too has its importance. And that's why accuracy matters when it comes to emulation. And that's why open source is fundamental to achieve this goal, for the reasons I wrote above. So use what the heck you want, but do not claim it is the best, especially if you can only defend it with what basically amounts to "I have been using it for many years and I do not see a reason to change it"—and that's when you actually care to have an argument and not simply rely on sarcasm and fallacies. Mind you, change for the sake of change is often pointless, but often there is a reason behind it, good or bad. If your only goal is to play games, no matter how well or bad they play, then use what you want and be content, but not everyone shares the same standards and there will always be people who, like me, will demand more, especially when it is already available.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
spekkio Bro, how does Metroid Prime 3: Corruption run for you? I'm getting horrible frame rate drops.

Well:

1) 2,5x internal:

hOymLuK.jpg

HelLxuG.jpg

XlF5bEn.jpg

So, it's:
Runs at acceptable frame rates now. At 60 FPS most times with occasional drops to 40ish.
It newer goes below 30 FPS, but slowdowns are very noticeable.

2) 1x internal:

OMORUtp.jpg

So:
Also changing resolution seems to have almost no affect on frame rate.
This.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It may work, but how well? What exactly happens under the hood? Will it play every game I throw at it? Many emulators that reputedly "get the job done" do so with hacks for specific games. The result is that some games, typically the popular ones, will play pretty much as expected but other, less popular, games will run into all sort of issues, from graphics to timing. An ideal emulator should be as accurate as possible to the real hardware, so every game should play "out of the box", including the "hidden gems" and the obscure releases that may surface from time to time—this happens more frequently than you think and less accurate emulators are usually lost when they encounter them because they miss their usual crutches.
Actually when a game has bug what emulator should do? For example PS2 has path A, and path B. One game on EPS2E is setting path to C. Should emulator expect it should be handled modulo 2, or should emulator do clamp? Also how different revisions of HW PS2 are handling this obvious error?

Accurate emulator is not always best. Also emulators should enhance game as much as possible. Texture filtering, removing loading times where is reasonable, higher resolution.

I think best way how to preserve old games are torrents, and free ROM sites. And the thing that's most needed is a legislative that would protect old games fan distribution and voluntary preservation from copyright lawsuit.

spekkio

Arcane
Gragt:

I agree with many things you wrote, mostly with the "accuracy is the most important when it comes to emulators" and "emus are crucial to preservation of older games" thingies.

But you seem to be overANALyzing my agenda [tm] when it comes to emulation. It's based on a really simple fundament: laziness.

you said:
PSX emulation is not in a very good state right now
Me: "So I can play 99% of PS1 games without the need of buying the hardware and software REDACTED. Sweet!

"Some obscure games may not work"
Well, too bad. I can always try some other emu or buy the hardware.

An ideal emulator should be as accurate as possible to the real hardware, so every game should play "out of the box", including the "hidden gems" and the obscure releases that may surface from time to time
Sure thing, but IMO it's only possible with decently old platforms (NES, Gameboy) so the gap between the processing power of the original hardware and hardware that's used to emulate it is big enough (allows LLE, no plugins, no hacks, etc.).
Don't forget that many emus you criticize (ePSXe, Project64) appeared when the emulated hardware was still on market / recently retired. PCs back then didn't have necessary CPU/GPU power to emulate such "advanced" hardware. And why should the authors rewrite them from scratch now, if they more or less work / people still use them?

There are also some weird platforms like Dreamcast or Ps2, which AFAIK won't be ever "properly" (without hacks / workarounds) emulated on PC, due to hardware differences. And the newshit hardware is even more complex (PS3) + DRMed. :roll:

I know ne emulator is perfect, but that does not prevent me from reaching for it. I am an elitist and that means I want the best in life.
Well, I'm a lazy fuck and gaming is just my hobby. If it works - fine. If not - too bad. Not that I'm paying for it REDACTED! emulators.

I do not trust an outdated emulator in general, and I simply find it dubious when it is only fueled by greed like ePSXe these days.
Well, if I completed several different games on it in recent 15 years (Hesus, I'm old!), I tend to trust it. Which doesn't mean I won't switch to new / better software. But why should I abandon it totally, when I know it worked before?

If you have no problems with that, then again that shows the difference in our standards.
This. My standards are very low.

I ran into a few extreme cases like Symphony of the Night that freezes during dialogs on pSX and ePSXe would refuse to run it in most cases, and when it would then I'd run into glitches.
I completed SotN (JAP version + translation) on pSX without any freezes / glitches:

TuNEQf7.jpg

mp3OAOs.jpg

US version may be different, though.

I am not a blind follower of open source but I see its value for the development of emulators. In the case of an emulator, where accuracy matters, a closed source raise some questions, and if it doesn't then it should! Not all emulators make claims of accuracy, but some do, and in case of a closed source emulator one can only wonder why it is so. Does it have something to hide? Is it as accurate as it claims or does it use hacks?
Sorry, but such things don't bother me at all, due to overall laziness and intention to avoid sliding into:

tinfoilnutcase.jpg

Also with an open source the rest of the emulation scene can benefit from it, and there are cases of emulators that benefited from each other's development.
You seem to be assuming that in case of closed-source emulators their authors don't share their work - which isn't the case AFAIK. Most of them just don't want to make their project open source to avoid the usual "commit hell" (pointless changes to the code).
Of course, some authors are retards (Steve Snake losing his own code is a good example) and don't want to publish the code JUST BECAUSE!

They sold it to M$ / Ninny / Sony so these companies could create their "buy your old games once more" services. ;)
Notice also that some emus got their code released (Project64, nullDC) and... it helped jack shit, since nobody seems to be l33t enough to improve the emulation of such bitchy platforms.

I know you demonstrated here as well as many other times your affinity for homeostasis—I remember you clung to Windows XP for some time
I would rather call this "laziness" or "having better things to do than learning how to make the new OS work the same as the old OS did". M$ simply loves renaming / changing shit with every version of Windows. Oh, and installing ~30 different programs - that's sure fun. :roll:

There is also another reason to use emulators that are still in active development: bug reports.
+1

By using a dead emulator, you rob those still working for the future of emulation of precious test data.
Well... Too bad that in 90% of cases, these guys are much less competent than the ones who created the old software (as I pointed out earlier, mentioning Project64 or nullDC – your beloved pcsx Reloaded is also a good example here, AFAIK...)

Now, I don't remember ever complaining about multiplatform emulators. My guess is that you conflated me with some other people without really reading what I wrote.
Well, it's possible, with me being a lazy fu...

I am not opposed to multicore emulators, just skeptical about them.
Or maybe not... But I agree with both your points there.

an emulator like DOSBox does far more to preserve the history of video games than someone writing about them
:bro:

It also allows some lazy fucks like GoG or Steam to make some sweet buck off some oldfag / newfag retards, who could've just grab the games from torrents / IRC but are too lazy to do so - which is additional awesome thing.

So use what the heck you want, but do not claim it is the best
I don't think I do. I simply state, that:

I have been using it for many years and I do not see a reason to change it

and that's when you actually care to have an argument and not simply rely on sarcasm and fallacies
:oops:

If your only goal is to play games, no matter how well or bad they play, then use what you want and be content, but not everyone shares the same standards and there will always be people who, like me, will demand more, especially when it is already available
'k

IfQERvW.png

In the end, I do not really care what you, or anybody else, wants to use, or the reasons behind it.
Amen. Now if you excuse me, I have some tranny porn to masturbate to familiarize myself with.

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom