Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to start out with the Fallouts now?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've heard some people say that F2 is much more polished in terms of gameplay mechanics,

Fallout 2 added a much-needed push command for NPCs, it was possible in Fallout 1 to get boxed in and stuck thanks to a companion following too close. If you happened to save your game like this, you were fucked. NPCs would also stubbornly stand in doorways so you couldn't get through, which was rage-inducing.

Fallout 2 also added combat control pop-up for NPCs, you had limited control of their behavior and what they equip.

There were many other minor changes, but they still play pretty much the same. Despite the above annoyances, Fallout 1 is definitely the better game, though. And being the first game, yeah, it should be played first.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
All of the characters in both games fall short of

sorry

>a nuclear bomb that goes off decades after it's been dropped

In order to get a nuclear explosion, you need to combine two pieces of enriched uranium of subcritical mass into one block of supercritical mass. The problem is that when one piece starts approaching the other one, they start heating up A LOT, because they start exchanging neutrons and it accelerates the reaction of depletion, which is accompanied by a massive energy release. You approach those pieces a little more, and they become red-hot, then white-hot, then they start melting. As they continue to approach each other, melted uranium will start evaporating (4200 degrees C).

So it's impossible to bring those two pieces together, they'll melt and destroy any mechanism holding them, then they'll fly away from each other and cool off. So to actually combine them, you need to send the two pieces flying towards each other with such a speed that would supersede neutron flux density, which is at least 2.5 km/s. Then they'll hit each other before heating up too much, and produce an energy release that would give you a nuclear mushroom. Such speeds can't be achieved with any gunpowder firing mechanism, you need to use explosives, but it's still not that simple. You need a "slow" explosion, and a "fast" explosion. The first one will propel the uranium at a certain "slow" speed, and the second one will accelerate it even further, because if you give it 2.5 km/s speed with one push, it will shatter the uranium.

So you also need to detonate everything with an extreme precision (0.000001 second), which means the electronic components need to be in a flawless state, and there has to be a thermoregulator.
The explosives themselves need to be changed every other 5-10 years or they won't go off properly.
The uranium elements need to be changed every 15 years or so, or they'll degrade to the point of not being able to explode.
And there are some short-lived components with fissile material, that need to be changed quite often.

Needless to say, that bomb couldn't go off just as an idle piece of rock lying next to it couldn't do it.

So that piece of writing is stupid. But whatever. Let's examine this:

>a chick who loves looking like a walking piece of shit
Now that's just fucking retarded.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Just install the first one, then FIXT mod and play that

install second one, then Restoration pack and play that

simples.

DraQ

Arcane

In order to get a nuclear explosion, you need to combine two pieces of enriched uranium of subcritical mass into one block of supercritical mass. The problem is that when one piece starts approaching the other one, they start heating up A LOT, because they start exchanging neutrons and it accelerates the reaction of depletion, which is accompanied by a massive energy release. You approach those pieces a little more, and they become red-hot, then white-hot, then they start melting. As they continue to approach each other, melted uranium will start evaporating (4200 degrees C).

So it's impossible to bring those two pieces together, they'll melt and destroy any mechanism holding them, then they'll fly away from each other and cool off. So to actually combine them, you need to send the two pieces flying towards each other with such a speed that would supersede neutron flux density, which is at least 2.5 km/s. Then they'll hit each other before heating up too much, and produce an energy release that would give you a nuclear mushroom. Such speeds can't be achieved with any gunpowder firing mechanism, you need to use explosives, but it's still not that simple. You need a "slow" explosion, and a "fast" explosion. The first one will propel the uranium at a certain "slow" speed, and the second one will accelerate it even further, because if you give it 2.5 km/s speed with one push, it will shatter the uranium.

So you also need to detonate everything with an extreme precision (0.000001 second), which means the electronic components need to be in a flawless state, and there has to be a thermoregulator.
The explosives themselves need to be changed every other 5-10 years or they won't go off properly.
The uranium elements need to be changed every 15 years or so, or they'll degrade to the point of not being able to explode.
And there are some short-lived components with fissile material, that need to be changed quite often.

Needless to say, that bomb couldn't go off just as an idle piece of rock lying next to it couldn't do it
shoot a car.

[SCIENCE]'d.

:troll:

Explorerbc

Arcane
if yes, play Fallout 1 first. Then Fallout 2. Cause you aint gonna play backward: F1 wont stand a chance that way.

This. I played Fallout 2 first and it kinda ruined my experience with Fallout 1 afterwards. F2 is a much bigger game with larger variety so even though the first one is just as good, it might feel a bit lackluster in terms of content if you play them in a reversed order.

Nas92

Augur
Fallout 2 added a much-needed push command for NPCs, it was possible in Fallout 1 to get boxed in and stuck thanks to a companion following too close. If you happened to save your game like this, you were fucked. NPCs would also stubbornly stand in doorways so you couldn't get through, which was rage-inducing.
It never happened to me in Fallout 1, in Fallout 2 it happened all the time and what's worse is that I did not know about the push command until later. I ended up having to reverse pickpocket plastic bombs on them in order to kill them without any consequence.

Anyhow, in response to op, I'd say start with Fallout 1. It's a much more serious game than F2, though it's a bit too short.

LizardKing

Scholar
Fallout 1 for the first time.. man, one of my most memorable playthroughs.
I still hate Ian for being an asshole and burst firing my back all the time.

Play them in order:
FO1 -> FO2 -> New Vegas

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

simples.

Eh, how is the Fallout 2 Restoration Project these days? I tried it some 3 years ago and it was shit. Boring fetch quests, crappy/mediocre writing and thats it. Has it been improved?

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
Will someone think of the children!?!

There are some versions of Fallout 1 and 2 without children. Make sure you have the right versions with children or mod them in (google it).

It is hilarious if you accidentally critticaly hit a child in combat. Don't worry if you get child killer perk, it won't affect the game too much. :D

There are no versions without children, that would make sense even though it's dumb and retrograde. There are versions that make the children invisible instead. Now picture the Den in FO2 where kids stand suspiciously by every shop doorway, pickpocketing you as you walk past them. You'd normally notice this by the animation, and could see them run off to a shady merchant to deliver the items to him. "Full retard" doesn't describe it adequately. Oh, and the bounty hunters that come after child killers are level-scaled.

Also, obligatory:

Childkiller_Unused.jpg

Hey, you need at least 30 Repairsman skill to do it. The game acknowledges the complexity of the task :obviously:

(what is more worrying is how the terrorist will rather give the device to a stranger instead of installing it himself in the middle of the night while there is no one looking)

>a chick who loves looking like a walking piece of shit

www.peopleofwalmart.com

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I played in that way F2->F1 but that's cause they come in different gaming magazine's addons. Must say that I appreciated F1 even more, atmosphere is more consistent and less fillers.

tl;dr stupid thread, just play first two games and forgot about rest.

Severian Silk

Play FO1 then FO2. If you are :obviously: then you will find FO2 disappointing for a number of reasons.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The tone between the two is quite different. I prefer Fallout 2's control scheme (party member orders, push) and more developed mechanics (follower level-up, more and varied use of non-combat skills), but the tone of Fallout 1 is superb as is it's story and development. The world really opens up if you're willing to explore it, but you can finish the entire game without knowing why faction A is against B and understanding who The XXster is.

Kill! Join! Die. Die!

Severian Silk

The idea that FO1 is immensely superior to FO2 is NMA revisionism. I do think that FO1 is prefered by Storyfags while Gameplay/Combatfags prefer 2.
I don't think I ever joined NMA. It was the style and tone of FO2 that turned me off. If I wanted a lulzy game about gangstas, I would play GTA instead. FO1 managed style and humor without catering to retards.

Paul_cz

Arcane

simples.

Eh, how is the Fallout 2 Restoration Project these days? I tried it some 3 years ago and it was shit. Boring fetch quests, crappy/mediocre writing and thats it. Has it been improved?

I played both FO1 with FIXT and FO2 with Restoration pack (and NV with all DLCs plus some good mods) this year.
FIXT = awesome, fixes FO1 and adds some new features
RP = awesome, new content was mostly very high quality, pretty much unrecognizable from the rest of the game (as in, it could have been there by Black Isle and I wouldn't know the difference). Had zero bugs and crashes too.

The music at Abbey...so good.

Lemming42

Arcane
I played Fallout 2 first and if I was forced to choose a favourite, I'd choose FO2 so there's probably some truth to the theory that whichever you play first will be the one you like most.

That said, Fallout 1 is pretty much objectively better - much tighter and more focused story, little-to-no filler content, designed so that the game is paced perfectly no matter how fast or slow you play through it, serious enough to be engaging but lighthearted enough to be funny (unlike FO2 which is prone to sliding into complete retardation), much more coherent world etc. I'm not sure why I prefer Fallout 2. I found most of the dialogue and jokes hilarious, even the shitty 4th-wall-breaking ones that everyone hates, so that probably helps.

Paul_cz

Arcane
FIXT = awesome, fixes FO1 and adds some new features

You mean like the "purist" install that disables the time limit for the water chip retrieval quest?

And how about modifying the user's OS without giving them fair warning?

That stuff is all configurable during installation and only a retard would modify stuff from how it was done by Interplay, for the first playthrough at least.
Don't remember anything about OS modification, any specifics ?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
That stuff is all configurable during installation and only a retard would modify stuff from how it was done by Interplay, for the first playthrough at least.

The "purist" install claims to only fix bugs, typos, exploits, oversights. I would call removal of the water chip time limit going far beyond that. It puts the 16 bit number in the quest screen, "For disabling one of Fallout's original features, you now have 65,535 days to find the water chip, you pathetic faggot!"

Visual C++ Redist, or somesuch. Attempts to install even if its already installed.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The "purist" install claims to only fix bugs, typos, exploits, oversights. I would call removal of the water chip time limit going far beyond that. It puts the 16 bit number in the quest screen, "For disabling one of Fallout's original features, you now have 65,535 days to find the water chip, you pathetic faggot!"

Visual C++ Redist, or somesuch. Attempts to install even if its already installed.
Windows keeps multiple copies to cover all versions of DLLs to avoid the problems in the old days of a newer DLL replacing an old one and a programing requiring the old version to work.

So the VC++ Redist needs to be run to make sure you have the correct versions of the DLLs installed. This is hardly "modifying the OS".

Seaking4

Learned
I played Fallout 2 first and I'm probably happy I did it like that. I think a large part of what I enjoyed with Fallout 2 was discovering Vault 13's location. If you can deduce where it is (once you find Vault 15's position of course) I think part of that excitement is gone. Although I suppose you could say the same for Fallout 1's story but I don't think saying that you stop the great evil is that big of a shock in an rpg. Some of the things could be fun to discover in retrospect as well. I definitely had fun with that. Anyways, it probably doesn't matter.

I'd just get the resolution patches and the officially unofficial bug fixes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom