Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
This is the person who thinks Sensuki is arrogant.

Drakensang: The River of Time has a superior combat system to the IE games. It's missing a lot of the -character- of those games but from a mechanical balance and fluidity standpoint it accomplishes all of the goals of the IE games.

Drakensang: every enemy shuffles through your formation to attack a single character, apparently, had a superior combat system.

Oh and isn't it just beautiful when someone brings the 'too much player skill' in an RTwP game? Or when they want to discuss abstraction over one of the few aspects of the game, positioning, which isn't abstracted?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Using floating points for damage values in Pillars of Eternity was a notoriously bad idea IMO. It's so stupid.
The use of non-integer damage is stupid because of how you have to code it, or from a player point of view? From a gameplay perspective, I don't like taking 0.79 points of damage, it doesn't feel right. Seems tediously accurate.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I'd love to hear the official reason why they replaced Cadegund with another priest instead of outright removing that companion "slot" from the game.

I fear the answer would be something like "A plate-wearing arquebus-wielding priest would mess with the balance of the entire pool of companions you can get through the game", because right now I seriously can't think of another reason to simply replace her with another priest.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From badler on the Obsidian forums:

"Hey, everyone. We are continuing to bug fix this week. We have had a lock on new features since the beginning of last week and we have been focusing on bug fixes last week and this week. Any requested new feature gets placed on a list that we will evaluate in a couple of weeks.

Starting next week we will be doing team-wide play days over the whole week. This is so everyone on the team can get a full view on everything that has been going into the game. After that we will probably spend a few days fixing the most egregious bugs we run into before putting out a new beta.

What this means for you guys is that we will likely target a new update for the week of November 10th. I will let you guys know if any of that changes."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69201-update-on-the-update/

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
From a gameplay perspective, I don't like taking 0.79 points of damage, it doesn't feel right. Seems tediously accurate.

Absolutely agree. Since damage, health, stamina are abstractions anyways, it makes sense to keep it intuitive.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I'd love to hear the official reason why they replaced Cadegund with another priest instead of outright removing that companion "slot" from the game.

I fear the answer would be something like "A plate-wearing arquebus-wielding priest would mess with the balance of the entire pool of companions you can get through the game", because right now I seriously can't think of another reason to simply replace her with another priest.

Especially odd since the character design you describe was fairly interesting and received positive reception when the early promotional material was released.

agris

Arcane
Patron
or from a player point of view? From a gameplay perspective, I don't like taking 0.79 points of damage, it doesn't feel right. Seems tediously accurate.

this
I thought so. That's not floating point bro, that's just decimals. You want integers, not decimals. Floating point is a compsci concept for how computers deal with non-integer values. It's close to what you mean, but not quite.

agris

Arcane
Patron
ok, but I thought you just said your problem was with the presentation / mechanic, not the coding? anyway, I get your meaning and agree.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FFS Sensuki is everything an invitation to talk about PoE to you

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
badler on the next patch - coming sooner that usual

badler said:
Hey, everyone. We are continuing to bug fix this week. We have had a lock on new features since the beginning of last week and we have been focusing on bug fixes last week and this week. Any requested new feature gets placed on a list that we will evaluate in a couple of weeks.

Starting next week we will be doing team-wide play days over the whole week. This is so everyone on the team can get a full view on everything that has been going into the game. After that we will probably spend a few days fixing the most egregious bugs we run into before putting out a new beta.

What this means for you guys is that we will likely target a new update for the week of November 10th. I will let you guys know if any of that changes.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that when the devs get to play the game, they can get a clearer view of what people mean when they talk about fast combat, and other things people have suggested needed to be fixed.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I can't believe they're not playing on their own time. If it's just a day job for them and they've got no interest in the product itself, why are they even at obsidian in the first place?! Wtf... Any involved person would've played it from the earliest builds. Are any of them even remotely interested in it???... wtf????

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And they don't play the Infinity Engine games either to see if they're getting it right

Haha I'll bet the majority of them will get smashed unless they play on easy

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I finally had the time to check out the newest build (skipped the previous one completely). While there are some improvements, this thing is still a buggy mess - unplayable other than for purposes of testing specific stuff. The overall 'feel' of combat is much better, however. Not nearly as good as IE games (yet?) but somewhat closer.

I hate that they removed manual skill allocation. Are modern gamers too stupid for such an advanced and complicated feature?

Sensuki

Arcane
They removed it to 'punish' players for maxing one skill only, rather than trying to actually fix the problems with their systems. I'm going to speak about it in my next video. I don't think the changes are having their intended effect though, as now people are mostly just ignoring skills.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They removed it to 'punish' players for maxing one skill only, rather than trying to actually fix the problems with their systems.
:retarded:

The old Bioware approach - we do not know how to fix it, so we will remove it. Obsidian is learning from the best in business.

Duraframe300

Arcane
IIRC its not really removed, is it? Just disabled?

So, this doesn't have to be permanent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom