Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Given the choice I think people who play on harder difficulties will build around combat, and sacrifice skills.

Well, they're still getting skills, right? Just maybe not the skills they would have preferred. And aren't all Talents supposed to be useful for combat?

It seems like before, you could fight however you wanted, and ALSO have whatever skills you wanted. Now those two frameworks are attached, intertwined - if you want to have a particular choice of skills, you might have to have fight in a certain way. And if you want to fight in a certain way, you might have to limit yourself to a certain selection of skills.

People who like min-maxing and archetypes can derive some satisfaction from this change.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's a complete 180 of their original design goals. You could already min/max - people who cannot into gamist style builds are a bunch of cry babies. I'll play with the changes, but I'm probably going to campaign against them. Something Awful doesn't seem to like the changes either.

On the other hand, the new recovery time rules have been changed to something that I suggested a while ago. Recovery time is no longer paused while moving, but ranged weapons suffer a recovery time movement penalty, and there are feats to reduce it. I'm not sure that was really necessary anymore because non-firearm type weapons are rubbish anyway, but whatever. It seems to have been implemented exactly as I suggested on the forums a while ago.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a complete 180 of their original design goals.

I wouldn't say 180. Sawyer isn't above removing some choice - that's how he explained why it was fine for the Might attribute to affect all damage, despite that removing the choice to build a character who is only "Mighty" at magic but not melee etc.

It's clear that he likes the concept of "character development as archetype selection". All those perks in FO:NV like "Grunt" and "The Professional" and "Sneering Imperialist" etc. So this move isn't a complete surprise.

Anyway, now that there are a bunch of Talents in the game, what about their originally intended function? Do they allow you to customize your characters to be more passive or active?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No, the talents don't affect your character in that way at all except for the new health healing talents which are a 1/rest active. You now get a choice of abilities upon level up (there are no new ones, you can just now choose the order within a certain range). For the Fighter - you can choose Knock Down or Armored Grace first. Eventually you might pick Knock Down, but you can ignore it for as long as you like.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No, the talents don't affect your character in that way at all

I see. Might want to ask if they've decided that the ability to choose abilities on level-up has superseded talents in providing that functionality. Because AFAIK Sawyer never stopped saying "That's what the talents will do, that's what the talents will do".

Sensuki

Arcane
The number of talents which give you something "new" are very limited. It's all D&D style stuff that passively improves things you already have.

Sensuki

Arcane
There are actually some new actives. There's one called Envenomed Strike which adds poison damage to a weapon attack @ 3/rest. Dangerous Implements (Wizard) makes Implement attacks better at the cost of your own Health (Modal).

I don't know whether I'd take these though because the passive ones seem way better. Here guys - you can be a better character 3 times per day, or all the time - your choice!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think it's good that they embedded skills into talents. Another way would be to tie skills to class. You know, like in a certain series of predecessors.
But this could be alright.

I'm getting a little worried with just how god damn buggy everything is tho. Every time they fix something, twice the amount resurfaces.

Sensuki

Arcane
I think I've figured out how to do it, re-installing Visual Studio 2010 now, will test it out shortly.

edit: yep, it's gone. Removed the code from the EngageEnemy method.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
And the talents giving skills is really gay.

Eh depends on how much you liked separated combat and non-combat skill point pools in the first place. Skills being the consequence of your character build (via picking talents) seems like a more interesting system to me (and a more logical one).

This way atleast you (presumably) won't have builds like a dumb barbarian who only picked "Hulk smash" talents but also happens to be a loremaster or something (because you have to spend non-combat skill points on something).

I think that it's a nice way to include some roleplaying flavour.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
All skills are "non-combat". This isn't Fallout.

Before this, the skills were a minor, disconnected, auxiliary system. Now they feel like they're integrated into character development. That's good.

It would be nice if you could pick a talent more frequently, though, or else the skills will only go up in large leaps once every three levels, instead of more gradually. Or can you now?

Sensuki

Arcane
OMGZ the game is SO MUCH BETTER without Melee Engagement, if the AI actually had IE targeting clauses ... it would feel like playing an IE game again almost (despite the retardedly fast combat speed).

Athelas

Arcane
How long would it take you to make a 20-page dissertation arguing for removing melee engagement?

Sensuki

Arcane
I can use videos instead. Cubiq will probably help me because he hates it too.

I tried to kite a beetle around before, they all have faster move speed than the party, they can always catch up to you, although same as the IE games, if you're running in a straight line, they can't stop to attack you.

Pretty much everything has faster ms than the party.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Probably done deliberately to prevent kiting.

Uh, except enemy NPCs which are typically the toughest enemies you'll meet in these games, therefore most likely to be kited.

I don't think so - I think they made "beast" enemies fast, because realism or whatever.

Sensuki

Arcane
Kiting does seem to personally offend some of their devs or something. Even enemies which are supposed to be slow - Oozes, move waaaay faster than the party.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Good things about new build:

- Dont know why but combat clarity is much better in this build, maybe because of targeting indicators
- New skill icons are nice
- Many new feats which is nice
- Combat speed seems fine for me. Especially when they add adjustable slowmo speeds
- Some new art and environmental effects
- Queuing actions is a nice addition to manage the micromanagement

Bad:
- Skills in feats sucks
- Pathfinding is worse: they actualy did what Sensuki asked in one of his videos. The party is now placed much closer together, pathfinding system cannot handle this.
- Still so many bugs

Is the problem with the melee engagement system in the execution or in the idea? I though most people (including you Sensuki) like the idea on paper.

Sensuki

Arcane
I don't think it suits real time combat.

Obsidian has fixed some of the AI targeting clauses in this patch, however it seems they have deliberately left some in ... and now I see why. The most notable one left in is on engagement. When a character is engaged, they cancel their current action and auto attack their engager. I distinctly recall Josh Sawyer using the word 'snag' in the Melee Engagement video, or in one of his posts describing Melee Engagement ... this must be what he means.

If you place your Fighter somewhere with Defender mode on, he will 'snag' up to three enemies and force them to attack him. Unfortunately the reverse is true for party members. When party members are engaged, they will begin auto attacking enemies and cancel their current attack and move commands (I don't think they cancel ability use anymore). If the BB Rogue opens up with an Arbalest attack, all enemies in the vicinity will begin targeting the BB Rogue. Depending on the script they have, they will fulfill other clauses such as Lowest DT, Lowest Deflection, EngagedBy, Who's doing most damage to them ... etc but the Engagement clause overrides everything else. I think the auto attack on engagement for party members is probably there to 'protect' people from Disengagement attacks or something, but holy fucking shit it's annoying. This makes combat feel somewhat uncontrollable, particularly in Melee.

I removed Engagement in a mod I made today and *cha-ching*, combat feels a step closer to the Infinity Engine games. A recovery time animation, changes to the movement speed, general combat pace and AI targeting clauses would probably bring it into line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom