Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is this all about & FAQ

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Hey, most of his stuff looks great.

Will buy.

Senpai noticed me!!!

(cover is being worked on in my head, should start drawing for reals next week)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
draw something discreet please, I don't want a coffee table book that looks like a young adults novel

Johannes

Arcane
Nethergate and Avadon games by Spidweb Software would be worth reviewing I think. Aleshar maybe, that might be too niche but some people would definitely be happy to know about it. And since Princess Maker 2 is in, include Long Live the Queen also?

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Long Live the Queen is mediocre, and misses a lot of the RPG aspects of PM2, such as exploration & combat. At most it deserves a one-line mention in PM2 review, IMHO.

Nethergade might be cool for the setting, but Avadon is really nothing special... I don't have enough pages to spend on every game Vogel makes.

Johannes

Arcane
Nethergate also has the "2 campaigns in 1 game" thing that's pretty unique. I agree that Avadon games are not special, I haven't played them - but they're still 100% full fledged RPGs unlike a lot of games already included. And they are quite different from his earlier games, in good or bad.

Of course you can't include every Vogel game as its own entry, there's 15 (21 counting remakes I think) of them after all, but including some mention of all his games seems sensible to me, with a section for each of the game series. If there was a similar game done by a different developer it'd get a review no doubt. Even if it was just 0,5 pages for Nethergate & remake and 0,5 pages for Avadon 1 & 2.

Oh and where's Wizardry 5? There's even no comment to mention it in Wiz4 review or such.

Edit: Also Barkley 2 may come out in time for the book?

Last edited:
I still need to get my third revision of the Dungeon Hack review done. And then play more Might and Magic 3 so I can at least properly cover it. I charge my Turboduo up when I am playing SMS and Genesis or watching Blu Rays to keep my save. Maybe I shall get off my ass and get the revision done Wednesday night or Thursday since I really don't have any creative projects that MUST BE DONE this week. (Driving to malls with retro videogame stores in them while listening to podcasts does not count as a creative project. Its just fun thanks to podcasts and having a Garmin to help me get where I am going safely and easily.)

Bad enough I haven't even played any Wasteland 2 in like three weeks.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want it. I need it. I'm drooling.

It would be nice to not write the reviews in the old Codex fashion though. Otherwise the entire thing will be seen as "that book from the nostalgia/fanboys/trolls from the Codex". The reaction on other forums regarding the Top 70 RPGs sadly proves how most people outside the Codex think and see us.
1399287090787_zps7ef0d18e.png

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm reading that right now. But I have this thing for books, as soon as I know I want it I want it physically, to look at it, display it on my shelf, smell it, and maybe even read it. I will 100% definitely order the physical copy.

Nice to see things are still moving along. Even if I keep not playing Might and Magic 3. Fucking level XP reqs are absurd where I am at!
I need to get that fire under my ass and stop playing MWO.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn it, I screwed up big time, felipepepe, where the fuck is my edited version?
Sorry, been really busy with this preview and now with sending press releases to every goddamn website out there... I'm going to my parents for teh holidays, but I'll send you the edited version as soon as I'm back, in January 1st.

Still, you can just send me a longer version and I'll edit it down, if you have the time to write now. :)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Damn it, I screwed up big time, felipepepe, where the fuck is my edited version?
Sorry, been really busy with this preview and now with sending press releases to every goddamn website out there... I'm going to my parents for teh holidays, but I'll send you the edited version as soon as I'm back, in January 1st.

Still, you can just send me a longer version and I'll edit it down, if you have the time to write now. :)
I'm done with work for this year, so unless I have to study (I have to speak 2 foreign languages fluently by the end of the winter), I'm free to finish the review.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
F me, I just downloaded the PDF and got incredibly excited reading through the first few sections.

Cue heavy breathing.

This was like reading a book about my life - bloody amazing.

I just wish this amazing history - my history - was not being lost to my children and the younger generation. Real interesting to read about the students reaction to the Ultima IV task -

It's strange that I can almost link important moments in my life to games that I was playing at the time.

How would anyone preserve all this history and seek to recapture it?

Felipepepe - you are amazing and a fantastic writer by the way,

I need to purchase this book when it is ready - probably two - one to read and one to preserve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom