Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

TOME

Cuckmaster General
All of the options sound great so I don't know what to pick.

Scratch that. We can't obsess over Uehara if we don't remember her. D.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think it is anything more than an easter egg anyway, but sure. If we can't be a whale, we can be a bowl of petunias. D.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
From here on out, we must be wary of anyone with sense enough to have remembered to bring their towel. The showers on night one were a trap!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
00:00

A distant bell tinkles.

A dream of falling. You jerk awake, arms flailing… and fall for real this time.

Your face meets the cold floor with a painful smack. Rubbing your stinging, sore nose, you straighten your spectacles and sit up. With no warning, a sudden wave of dizziness comes over you. You choke back the bile rising at the back of your throat and clap the sides of your head repeatedly. A small bout of coughing later leaves you feeling somewhat more comfortable.

A strong, sharp smell of disinfectant assails your nostrils. It looks like you are in a medical room of some sort… a surgical ward? You seem to have fallen ignominiously off the sole operating bed. There is no one else in the room, but expensive-looking medical instruments and metal trolleys have been scattered all over the floor. Getting shakily to your feet, you open the door and leave the room.

The hallways are as deserted as the surgical ward you just left. There is no mistaking the architecture – the crisp white walls, steady fluorescent lighting and wooden handrails along the walls scream to you that this is undoubtedly a hospital. It is night-time outside: what you can see of the world outside the windows is dark, with the occasional street lamp breaking the murkiness with its pale, orange glow. Walking down the corridor, you begin to get unnerved at the emptiness.

Am I the only one in here?

Even the nurses are not at their station. A large clock hanging behind the counter tells you that the time is two o’clock, but the second hand does not appear to be moving at all. You cannot be sure whether it is accurate or not. Suddenly, a thought strikes you. Patting yourself down, you feel the unmistakable thin slab of a cellphone in your pocket, one that had gone unnoticed in the confusion of your awakening. You pull it out quickly and power the phone up. The display lights up and a password screen appears, big white numbers declaring that the time is currently 02:00 am.

Somehow, you instinctively know the password to this phone. Your fingers tap out a sequence of four numbers: 1153.

The phone unlocks. Noting that you have no signal bar on the phone, you look through the contacts for any clue as to your whereabouts. It is empty. In fact, there is nothing inside the phone besides a single, mysterious message from an unknown number.

What is most important?

What a strange question.

It is one you are not confident in answering. You do not remember many things at the moment; you do not even remember why you have awoken in this place. Perhaps the most important thing is to recover your memory? You pocket the phone, feeling even more confused than before.

It looks like you are on the sixth floor at the moment – the large numeral painted on the wall next to the lifts clearly support that conclusion. Unless they are utilizing the European system of floor numbering, you think. But you are not in Europe. At least, you don’t remember any European hospital that uses Japanese for all of its printed materials. The lifts themselves are dark – they are not operational at the moment.

As you move closer to the staircase, you hear footsteps approaching you softly.

You freeze up, a chill running down your spine.

I should be glad to encounter another person, right? It’s probably just a nurse coming to ask me what am I doing. So why am I feeling scared? I’ll just turn around, put on my nicest smile, and ask for her help.

Stretching your lips wide in what you hope to be a good fascimile of a grin, you spin around – perhaps a bit more faster than you would have liked – and confront your stalker.

Your stalker screams and backpedals quickly, slipping on the smooth hospital floor. It is a young girl; perhaps twelve years of age, her hair tied up in a ponytail with a large, white ribbon. Her light red dress flutters upwards as she falls in an ungainly manner.

I didn’t see anything! At least, that’s what you tell yourself.

“S-sorry… I didn’t mean to scare you,” you say quickly, looking away and bowing in embarrassment.

The girl looks up at you with big, frightened eyes and begins inching away on her behind. “No, I am at fault. I am sorry for sneaking up on you! Could you please let me go?”

“Let you… eh?”

“Y-you’re not going to eat me?”

Eat? Do I look like a predator of little girls? Suddenly, you feel rather crestfallen.

It looks like the girl can see the depression on your face. Her expression changes and she shakes her head. “Ah, I’m so sorry! Forget what I said! My… my mother just told me that strange men would eat me up if I got lost, yes, that’s it, so…”

“I’m… strange. I see… sorry for being strange…” you mumble apologetically.

Gathering her spirits, the girl stands up and dusts herself off. She makes her introduction, bowing politely. “My name is Iwano Mitsuki.” She looks up at you expectantly – it is your turn to introduce yourself, it seems.

What a well-taught girl. If I do not answer, would it shatter her conceptions about adult society?

Probably not. Shaking your head, you give your own name.

“I’m-“

You falter.

“Onii-san?”

“I’m…” You cannot remember your own name. At least, not clearly. Through the mental haze you swim, attempting to uncover the words that you need. “Shi... Shino… Shinoseki. Adachi,” you stutter.

Is that my name? You are not certain, but even if it isn’t, it is the only thing you can remember in association for now.

“Shinoseki-san,” bows Mitsuki again. “I am in your care.”

“No, no, I’m in yours…” You reciprocate with an awkward bow of your own, wondering if it isn’t strange to be engaging in such formality with a twelve year old girl.

There is an awkward silence of several minutes where neither of you speak.

“So… um… Shinoseki-san… can I follow you?” she asks shyly, breaking the silence.

A. No way. You aren’t about to be stuck with a kid in some hospital you don’t know anything about. It’s too much of a pain, and there’s nothing you want to talk to her about. You run off by yourself, using the full advantage of your adult limbs to outpace the little girl.

B. You suppose you have no choice. She might know something about this place that you don’t, given your missing memories. Besides, although you are not uncomfortable with the idea of wandering this deserted hospital alone, having another person around might not be so bad.

A. You head for the rooftop. You just need to keep heading upwards until you find it – it might be a good idea to survey the surrounding area from a high vantage point before you explore the hospital any further.

B. You head for the lobby. The upper floors appear deserted, but surely there must be some people at the main lobby – nurses, arriving and departing patients, security guards and the like. They might be able to tell you what is going on.

Baltika9

Arcane
BA, let's keep falling to our death repeatedly until the dark forces in charge get tired of it.

LWC1996

Learned
BB.

If anything happens, I'll throw Mitsuki under the bus.

And dear God, no more rooftops.

ETA : Why are you guys SO obsessed with the rooftop?? Just wondering.

Rex Feral

Prophet
BB - why the fuck would we go to the roof again? Time to learn some things about the other patients.

Hey, can't we search for the desk near ward 201? I wanna see those patient files.

Nevill

Arcane
BB - why the fuck would we go to the roof again? Time to learn some things about the other patients.
But we want to know what is outside!

It is for character development purposes - I want him to be a curious sort who would volunteer to explore the female showers one day.

Hey, can't we search for the desk near ward 201? I wanna see those patient files.
We probably don't remember that such a ward exists.

LWC1996

Learned
But we want to know what is outside!

It is for character development purposes - I want him to be a curious sort who would volunteer to explore the female showers one day.

We probably don't remember that such a ward exists.
We already know what is outside. Nothing but cold wet wind with equally wet, slippery GLASS corridors to the left and to the right. And we'll get locked out again. So why are we are redoing something that ended on such a spectacular splat?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ETA : Why are you guys SO obsessed with the rooftop?? Just wondering.

Butthurt from varying reasons. :troll:

You could look through them, but I think files full of strangers wouldn't mean anything to you. The hospital is now full of them anyway, especially if you hit up the records office.

Nevill

Arcane
We already know what is outside.
Ah, but our character doesn't. Don't be a meta-gamer, will you? :P

And we'll get locked out again.
But this time, we will have Mitsuki to keep each other warm, so at least we won't freeze to death if we wait.

So why are we are redoing something that ended on such a spectacular splat?
Why, to adjust the method.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Butthurt from varying reasons.
Hey! Maybe I am just naturally fascinated by them! :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
You could look through them, but I think files full of strangers wouldn't mean anything to you. The hospital is now full of them anyway, especially if you hit up the records office.

No matter. We go there and read every file and commit it to memory for the lulz. Our character might not understand why, but we will, and it's not like it's the first time he did something on a strange whim.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, you'd have to start with the files on this floor then. There's a lot of patients to go through. Hundreds. You'd really need a very strange whim to explain trying to memorize the entire patient records of the hospital.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
BB
Reply to the SMS:
What is most important?

We will win with those mind games Ravel!

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Why are you so hell bent on being stuck AGAIN?

But then again... treave can you confirm that weather changed this time?

Even if so, I'm against taking a kid on a building climbing trip.

Nevill

Arcane
I could say to you the same. Don't be a sabo-voter, will you?
I will vehemently oppose all attempts to turn Shinoseki into a boring 'normal' person.

While maintaining my moralfag disposition, of course. Some things you just can't sacrifice.
As if Shinoseki isn't already weird and suspicious enough... You're turning him into a pedophile.
Cleanse that impure thought! I want to turn him into a lolicon. That is completely different and totally acceptable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom