Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

agris

Arcane
Patron
enabling wasd and rebinding most of the keys is pretty much a must.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some fixes coming in the next patch courtesy of Steven King:

• The freeze when loading a scene (PE is not responsive) for a few seconds has been fixed
  • Formations have received a re-work
  • Fixes to item stacking in Inventory
  • Clicking on a "quest update" will open the journal
  • Level Up screen has been reworked
  • Fix to the Infestation of Maggots spell
  • Many fixes to Druid Spiritshift
I honestly have no idea how these beta testers go through the Obs forums. Sking bumps threads from August and replies to them, replying to bug reports that were fixed in v278 :/ . NCarver only replies to the newest ones.

Seems very unorganized.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
Yep, some of my bugs haven't even been mentioned even after the fact that I bumped them twice. Something isn't working right with the QA.

anyone have a timeline on the new patch? it's been over a month now.

Duraframe300

Arcane
They already told us that forum bug reports are low priority (Compared to suggestions). Thats the most likely scenario.

Duraframe300

Arcane
From an older badler post

Also, the feedback from the beta is gold. Not necessarily the bug reports - those are helpful, but our QA team has identified many of those issues - but we really get a lot out of seeing how people are playing the game.

Hormalakh

Magister
but there is randomness to their comments in the QA. They'll respond to one or two saying "yes we know" and a few to which they say "oh nice find. Thanks, we'll add it to the list." Then a ton of them which they just ignore.

If backers are finding bugs like they have been and QA hasn't found them, then it makes sense to actually read through ALL of them and annotate them. At the very least the new ones. I always double-check the known bugs list before posting. Yet, what they choose to respond to and what they don't, is very random.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
My guess is that every second day or so, one of the QA members (note how it's always someone different) is assigned to forum bug posts for 30mins /1hr for that day - they probably don't have any documentation about how to go about it, so they just do their own thing.

I think that "every thread is viewed" is an outright PR lie as well.

Weasel
Also, the feedback from the beta is gold.
In which case Sensuki's contributions are adding up...

mrVExnk.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
nipsen continues his endless butthurt

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68769-show-of-support-for-pillars-of-eternity/#entry1526527

:troll:

You will, however, not get to see some of the very good solutions Obsidian had. Because some miser on the internet, with too much spare time on their hands, didn't like it. And expanded on that in thousand posts on 5 different forums. While waxing poetically about Boo and romances being the foundation of a good IE game. Or that the map design should be in a specific way. And incidentally the character creation should be pointless and disjointed from the narration, just like in the IE games.

And always using details like this to sustain a point that sells a Q&A guy whose responsibility is very narrow. Like I said, it's not unique to Obsidian. Lots of developers have run right into this before. And thanks to people being much too fascinated by noise on the internet, and willing to "interpret" seemingly disjointed feedback into coherent, actionable fixes -- they'll probably do it again as well.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It is chaotic, yeah. For instance, Sking requested my save files after I reported a game breaking bug. I sent it to him via PM and a week later he admitted to have missed that PM entirely after I basically reminded him of the whole thing. The problem stems from the fact that every QA guy gets like 100 "likes" a day, and the PM alert is mixed with those, so they have to scroll through 100 lines of "likes" and visaully find relevant things. And they don't get any alerts about new posts in threads they answered. Their forum is shit, hence giant fuck ups. Either make forum better or use another software.

Hormalakh

Magister
Everytime Obsidian says QA, God kills a kitten.

Edit: Seriously. Does Obsidian not realize that QA was the biggest concern most backers had during the Kickstarter? And what do they do? They do a real screw-up job in - at the very least - putting up a good show for the backers that QA is being done well and that the bugs are mostly superficial.

Instead, we get a skeleton crew on the forums and a "feature-complete" beta with so many bugs, it makes a Harley on a cross-country road trip look clean enough to eat off of. Yes yes, I know beta = bugs. But I've seen other betas play out too, and this is the first where features are completely not working as intended (see combat).

Shitposters, please don't brofist my comments. It makes me regret posting.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, you have a message box to the upper right that is separate from Likes. It is hard to miss if you get a message.

Hormalakh

Magister
man so when are they going to upload the new patch. anyone have a twitter acct n can ask brenn?

aeonsim

Augur
And via Twitter:

aeonsim ‏@eonsim 2h2 hours ago
@adam_brennecke How goes to PoE beta, on track to get a new patch and OSX build this week?
Adam Brennecke ‏@adam_brennecke 1h1 hour ago
@eonsim working on it :) tons of new assets and features went in recently and we are trying to stabilize the build for release.

shadow9d9

Learned
nipsen continues his endless butthurt

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68769-show-of-support-for-pillars-of-eternity/#entry1526527

:troll:

You will, however, not get to see some of the very good solutions Obsidian had. Because some miser on the internet, with too much spare time on their hands, didn't like it. And expanded on that in thousand posts on 5 different forums. While waxing poetically about Boo and romances being the foundation of a good IE game. Or that the map design should be in a specific way. And incidentally the character creation should be pointless and disjointed from the narration, just like in the IE games.

And always using details like this to sustain a point that sells a Q&A guy whose responsibility is very narrow. Like I said, it's not unique to Obsidian. Lots of developers have run right into this before. And thanks to people being much too fascinated by noise on the internet, and willing to "interpret" seemingly disjointed feedback into coherent, actionable fixes -- they'll probably do it again as well.

He is 100% right when it comes to how games are handled nowadays with "community feedback." I have no involvement in Pillars, and don't follow it closely, but in general, he is correct.

Sensuki Don't listen to the haters! you shitting on Obsidian is the ebst thing to occur out of this RTwP scam.

:kingcomrade:

if this is the only guy who's thinking your videos are AWESOME!!!!!!11one!!!, then you know you've screwed up.

but of course, you already know my thots sensuki. lemme know if i can be of any help.
Learn to read.

I didn't say hsi videos are awesome... but its better than the RTwP game itself.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You can no longer spend points to upgrade skills during level up. All skill advancement is now done through Talents, and thematically grouped Talents will award additional skill points if chosen during level up. Your background choice during character creation will also reward additional skill points.

:retarded:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
4 AM 15 minute playthrough impressions and comments.

Creating a priest in the new patch, I get "recommended stats." How accurate are these? And why are they there? Why recommend attributes in a game where everything is supposed to be useful?

Character shadows are wonky as hell.

The mouse-over character colorization is still looking dumb and intrusive. Entire character turns green when hovering over it.

In IWD:EE, your zoom is set to 1:1 (standard) if you click the middle-mouse. You can also lock the zoom level as standard view. This would be nice for this game.

The "Loading" on the loading screens should be re-positioned or removed.

Okay, I'm not joking when I say that the overlay icons are ugly and SO unnecessary. I'm talking about the icons appearing over doors and transition zones etc. I've been complaining since the beginning about this. Am I the only sane person playing this?

The same goes for those inspection icons or whatever. All NPCs should be treated the same.

Pathfinding still fucked up, r00fles!

Okay good night.

Copper

Savant
On a superficial read, how the fuck is that not going to create trap choices if you dare to colour outside the `*thematic grouping*`?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom