Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I'd say it's either 8 or 10. 7 is what started the decline, but it was still a decent game. 8 was really bad, but 9 made up for it. 10 is when the series really went full retard.
Seymour_Guado.jpg

You didn't like 10's combat system or just the general theme of the game? I've always thought it was one of the better Final Fantasy's.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Here is an interesting question. At what point did the FF series start to die? And at which point could it be agreed upon that it died outright?

Some say that it was everything after FF6 that was a decline with the death at FF10 or X-2. While others say that it started after FF7 but with 9 and 12 offering a brief pulse between flatlines.

At what point did SE and the final fantasy series really lose it's "magic"?

I'd say 12. I liked the amount of boss fights in 12, but there was no soul at all in the game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Final Fantasy 9 is a RPG with random encounters plagued with terrible loading times. Can you imagine how fun a game like this is?

You can still tap buttons for quick attacks. The idea behind this is still terrible.
Why? You hold the button instead of mashing it. It's simply less exausthing.

(...) Some say that it was everything after FF6 that was a decline with the death at FF10 or X-2. While others say that it started after FF7 but with 9 and 12 offering a brief pulse between flatlines. (...)
:mob:

If you tap the button, then the character executes a quick attack. If you hold it, he executes a string of attacks.

lightbane

Arcane
Personally I would say the series died AFTER FFX, especifically with FFX-2 (which was a ridiculous game, even for FF standards). From there they got worse and worse.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally I would say the series died AFTER FFX, especifically with FFX-2 (which was a ridiculous game, even for FF standards). From there they got worse and worse.
The funny thing about X-2 is that I found the story and characters to be terrible, but the battle system is probably one of the best in the series.

It should have been used in FFXII and matsuno shouldn't have been let go so that his original vision was kept intact. It would have been my favorite jrpg of all time.

Keldryn

Arcane
"I'm starving!"
"My sides are sore."
"Could do with a bath."

"I could use a little food..."
"Is that virtuous?"

At what point did SE and the final fantasy series really lose it's "magic"?

Final Fantasy VIII.

I enjoyed the original NES game when it came out, as well as the two games released on the SNES in North America. When I ditched my Sega Saturn and bought a Playstation, I picked up FF7 as well. I haven't played FF7 since that first time I played it (late 1997), but I certainly enjoyed it at the time. It's certainly vastly overrated, but it was still a good game.

FF8 started to lose me by the end of the first disc (of 4). This was where Square's obsession with making CG movies really started to become apparent. In addition to the emphasis on cutscenes, FF8 seemed to be where they really started imposing more of a distinct personality on the main playable character. Yes, the main characters in the earlier games did develop more distinct personalities as the series progressed, but FF8 was where I really started to feel like the main character did not represent me in any way. This was a major point of contention for me with Xenogears as well (Fei: "Waah, I don't want to fight!" *runs away*). The seeds were planted in FF7, to be sure.

Square marketed FF8 as a very character-driven "love story," but I spent most of my play time drawing magic spells from enemies in random battles in order to boost my stats by junctioning. I got money just by walking around the map for long enough. There wasn't much in the way of customizing how my characters were equipped. I completely lost interest in playing by the 20-hour mark. It was just too tedious.

In my opinion, Square peaked with Chrono Trigger, which I think was and is better than Final Fantasy anything.

I have a used copy of FF9 that I bought well into the PS2 years, but I have yet to get around to playing it. I played through FFX and enjoyed it, despite the linearity and fucking annoying main character. I mostly liked the battle system and the sphere grid, plus it was pretty to look at. FFX-2 was unbearable. Had no interest in FFMMO. I put a good 40+ hours into FFXII and found it quite enjoyable for a while, but it eventually just started to drag on for far too long. The combat system didn't bother me; I saw it more like KOTOR or Baldur's Gate than an MMO, to be honest. Never played any of the FFXIII games. FFV looks just as unappealing.

Looking back, I see FFVIII as the beginning of the current philosophy on FF game design. FFIX was a deliberate throwback and FFXII was an attempt to break out that got reined in near the end. I'd much rather play Dragon Quest.

Tehdagah

Arcane
If you tap the button, then the character executes a quick attack. If you hold it, he executes a string of attacks.
And... how is this terrible?

(...) FF8 started to lose me by the end of the first disc (of 4). This was where Square's obsession with making CG movies really started to become apparent. In addition to the emphasis on cutscenes, FF8 seemed to be where they really started imposing more of a distinct personality on the main playable character. Yes, the main characters in the earlier games did develop more distinct personalities as the series progressed, but FF8 was where I really started to feel like the main character did not represent me in any way. This was a major point of contention for me with Xenogears as well (Fei: "Waah, I don't want to fight!" *runs away*). The seeds were planted in FF7, to be sure. (...)
This seems to be the biggest reason why FFVIII is so hated. Sounds exaggerated imo.

(...) Looking back, I see FFVIII as the beginning of the current philosophy on FF game design. FFIX was a deliberate throwback and FFXII was an attempt to break out that got reined in near the end. I'd much rather play Dragon Quest.
What's so fun about Dragon Quest?

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
And... how is this terrible?

(...) FF8 started to lose me by the end of the first disc (of 4). This was where Square's obsession with making CG movies really started to become apparent. In addition to the emphasis on cutscenes, FF8 seemed to be where they really started imposing more of a distinct personality on the main playable character. Yes, the main characters in the earlier games did develop more distinct personalities as the series progressed, but FF8 was where I really started to feel like the main character did not represent me in any way. This was a major point of contention for me with Xenogears as well (Fei: "Waah, I don't want to fight!" *runs away*). The seeds were planted in FF7, to be sure. (...)
This seems to be the biggest reason why FFVIII is so hated. Sounds exaggerated imo.

(...) Looking back, I see FFVIII as the beginning of the current philosophy on FF game design. FFIX was a deliberate throwback and FFXII was an attempt to break out that got reined in near the end. I'd much rather play Dragon Quest.

It's not. I was explaining how the system works after watching one of the presentations Tabata held.

Keldryn

Arcane
This is where Square started giving the lead character more of a pre-defined personality. I could be mistaken, it's been a good 10+ years since I last tried playing it. Previous lead characters were more vaguely-defined. Squall was an effeminate-looking, angsty teenager pretending to be a badass.
It's still got that old-school 80s RPG feel. It doesn't take itself too seriously. It doesn't feel the need to re-invent itself to be "hip" and "edgy." It didn't deteriorate into adolescent melodrama. It never went down the path of lengthy, self-indulgent cutscenes.
It never gave us shitty main characters like this:

It's the anti-Final Fantasy, and I love that it has stayed pretty true to its roots.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Graphics look nice. Music is solid and i think exploration will be good. I hope the combat is good.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They even went on hike to mountain to be able to make them properly. Thus they climbed the mountain literally.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

+ gud music
+ gud art
+ gud combat

- dat retarded car
- dat reraded character design

I need to see more, undecided yet for this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom