Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Aweigh's W2 Tweak Guide Thread

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
aweigh to the rescue once again :mommasgang:

first off, if you're running AMD download radeonpro 1.1 and disable anti-aliasing, disable anisotropic filtering, go to the Tweaks tab and enable frame-rate control and cap it at 30, then go into advanced tab and enable all four of the optimization options you will see there. hover your pointer back to the game entry you created inside radeonpro 1.1 and right-click on it, then click on APPLY. close the program. it will now reside in your systray.

hover your pointer over to your systray and right-click on the radeonpro 1.1 icon and click on settings from the drop-down menu. go to the left-pane section titled Advanced and click on "disable all post-processing", and also don't forget to enable "run on windows startup" in the very first left-pane section.

and now for the one thing that will allow you to play the game flawlessly on a 32-bit OS even with FULL textures... google "how do I enable PAE on windows". i'd o it for your but it takes barely five minutes. i'm running vista 32-bit with 4 gigs of ram, and 32-bit windoze only allowed 2 gigs for the games. after enable the "allow more than 2 gigs for games" supa-sekret option I can now use 3.25 gigs of my RAM for gaming. I haven't exeperienced a single game crash ever since; yes, even inside rail nomads camp where it used to crash all the time before I did that.

fake-edit: i forgot to mention another very important tweak in the advanced tab of radeonpro 1.1 (actually two); set the first two sliders after the four optimization boxes to "performance", and the third slider down slide it all the way to the left to -3 (texture sharpening, it's a matter of taste some people prefer -2; at any rate once you see the difference you'll be blown away) and finally set the final slider called flip queue to "1" for pinpoint mouse accuracy.

vsync I leave for you to set to taste. it is very possible to use vsync by downloading D3D Overrider (a seperate program) and having it set to globally enable DirectX/D3D9 Triple-Buffering on all games so that you can actually use vsync without dropping your framerate.

i run:
- radeon hd 6670 with 2gb of vram, 800mhz/667 clocks
- amd socket fm1 llano quad-core @ 3.0ghz
- 4 gigs of ram @ 1.3k mhz (3.25 max usable for gaming thanks to that handy tweak I outlined above; otherwise your games are only using 2 gigs and crash)
- standard sata hdd

i average:
- 30 rock-solid fps (i cap the game at 30 fps in radeonpro 1.1 and also run double-vsync, then i enable the radeonpro option that locks the framerate to the refresh rate which is 30 thanks to the double vsync producing smooth as butter motion... for 30fps that is)
- when lots of stupid unoptimized shit is going on it'll dip into low 20's. haven't seen the game go lower than than 20fps except when i experimented with forcing anti-aliasing. i quickly gave that up.

if you're running nvidia there is a similar program to radeonpro 1.1 but i don't know anything about it. google it. the settings are all the same except different nomenclature.

second fake-edit: in case anyone is wondering i'm rocking 2011 catalyst drivers. :P

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, if you're running HDMI/DVI and using GPU scaling I suggest you turn that shit OFF and rock native rez. trust me, the difference in image quality and input responsiveness will blow you away.

the absolutely best sure-fire way to be sure to have disable ALL forms of post-processing and gpu scaling is to use VGA and rock native rez. W2 itself doesn't seem to care, performance-wise, whether I run it at 720p or at my native rez of 1680x1050. same frame-rates all around.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I take it all back. I just left Santa Fe Springs and entered Los Alamitos and my framerate is chugging like crazy. fuck that shit. I know for a fact it's the rain causing it. i wish there was a way to disable the rain. what a terribly and shittily coded game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This shouldn't be called a tweak guide, but "How to run WL2 on a Piece of shit PC"

30 fps .... smooth gameplay .... lol

Nevertheless, good job.

epeli

Arcane
4 gigs of ram @ 1.3k mhz
I love it when people talk about kilo-megahertzes (or should be it kilo-millihenryz?), lends so much credibility to whatever they wrote.

Oh well, not that it matters. The wonders of unity... I initially thought I could play WL2 on my potato laptop, but turns out it doesn't run well even on a proper gaming desktop.

Morkar Left

I guess how well it runs depends mostly on if you are still using a 32-bit OS or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom