Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Weasel
Where's the section which explains the difference between a "solid" 3/5 and a normal 3/5?

:troll:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Where's the section which explains the difference between a "solid" 3/5 and a normal 3/5?

It's exactly here, in the fineprint:
Q0vaXBA.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.lar.net/2014/10/01/the-halo-effect/

The halo effect
Posted on October 1, 2014

Not so long ago, in fact, just a few weeks ago when I posted my last blog entry, I said that Kickstarter might not be the right route for our future projects. I argued that it’s a limited pool and that it would be wrong for us to fish in it if our games are earning sufficient money for us to invest in our future projects.

I immediately received a few strong reactions, both publicly but also privately about how I got it all wrong, and that in fact I should steer Larian back to Kickstarter. The reasoning is that successful crowdfunding projects send more people to the crowdfunding scene and that benefits the smaller projects. This is referred to as the “halo effect” and one particular bright person compared it to “a restaurant sitting alone or on a block with many others. They all do better with more traffic”.

I have to say that that got me thinking.

Just today there’s been a report from a consultancy firm called Ico partners that there’s less money going to fewer game projects on Kickstarter. They project that Kickstarter earnings in 2014 will be half of what they were in 2013, and blame “the lack of low-hanging fruit, a waning enthusiasm – partly driven by some high-profile failures – and the introduction of some serious and well publicized alternatives”, the latter referring to the rise of Steam Early Access.

According to the article quoting the Ico report, half of the money in 2013 was brought in by the big names and the question is raised whether it’s really a case of waning popularity or just a gap in the schedule because all those big names are now busy with delivering on their promises. And if the latter is the case, the question remains if this indeed negatively affects the smaller projects because less people are attract to the crowd funding platforms.

While this is in no way an announcement that we’re preparing a new Kickstarter campaign, I am genuinely wondering if we shouldn’t start reconsidering our position. There’s many advantages to starting a new game via Kickstarter and the main reason we abandoned the idea of a new campaign is that we don’t want to be seen as abusing the system.

Crowd funding is a wonderful invention and something that has changed the lives of many independent developers. It has rekindled innovation in an over-consolidated market where the traditional powers now have you pay extra to fight the coolest bosses. It should be cherished and protected at all costs and gamers would do well to prefer buying their games via crowd funding lest they find themselves playing games designed by whoever talks best at some marketing meeting.

So, if it indeed is the case that a return to crowd funding by past success stories helps boost the scene then I’m all pro. Only fools and dead men don’t change their minds.

I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts about this, especially if you’re somebody who crowd funded before. Is it ok for a company who’s enjoyed a certain level of success thanks to a crowd funding to return to crowd funding? Is it something that should be encouraged so that more people discover crowd funding? Or is something that should be discouraged because the pool of crowd funding is limited?

Share your thoughts!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They should go KS for partial funding.

KS has declined because the projects have declined.

Perkel

Arcane

It's exactly here, in the fineprint:

To be honest don't quantify reviews. I know there is circlejerk in gaming around scores and such but when you are giving score you are trying to quantify fun. Also if you set score no matter what you write will be diluted in final score as final score will overshadow what you write.

If you stop posting scores text and review itself will be actual important thing and to get what your site think about game people will need to actually read impressions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm very butthurt that D:OS hasn't gotten it's own separate subforum yet.

:x
Discussion about this flash-in-a-pan is kinda dead/dying.

Surely within the next week or two they'll release their big rebalance patch and I'll finally be able to evaluate it and leave this thread and Larian behind forever.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Woot! With the delay of PoE , it automatically makes Divinity: Original Sin 2014 RPG of the year.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
My vote lies with this game.
I nitpicked this game to death, but I still love it all the same despite the questionable RPS argument and writing weirdness.
The build-variety, the interesting setups you could do (albeit limited to magery) provided a load of front-loaded fun.
Wasteland 2 OTOH played it too safe IMO and felt very unambitious.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just wait for the inevitable top 20 modifications on the post-kickstarter Codex vote. Now THAT thread will be full of butthurt. I hope PoE gets voted #1 over Fallout, just to see the butthurt maximized. Or perhaps voted #50 to see a rerun of Roguey vs. The Butthurt Fallout fans. Decisions, decisions.

Rake

Arcane
All you faggots know deep inside that you will vote DAI as game of the year
:codexisfor::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues::dgaider:

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Just wait for the inevitable top 20 modifications on the post-kickstarter Codex vote. Now THAT thread will be full of butthurt. I hope PoE gets voted #1 over Fallout, just to see the butthurt maximized. Or perhaps voted #50 to see a rerun of Roguey vs. The Butthurt Fallout fans. Decisions, decisions.
I really doubt PoE will score better than PST though... but Number 2 is still possible

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Doesn't have to beat Torment for maximum butthurt. Fallout is the key to butthurtlandia. I predict select users threatening to leave the Codex if that happens. Or, again, Roguey debates galore if it gets voted low. Whichever one's fine by me.

Rake

Arcane
Doesn't have to beat Torment for maximum butthurt. Fallout is the key to butthurtlandia. I predict select users threatening to leave the Codex if that happens. Or, again, Roguey debates galore if it gets voted low. Whichever one's fine by me.
In the meantime, we must content ourselves with Chaotic Heretic's butthurt if DOS isn't GOTY 2014.

The one thing i respected in the mondblut crowd (even if i don't care about their tastes) is that they never had that butthurt mentality of old "hardcore" Fallout fans "Why? Why the rest of the World won't recognise that it's my way or the Skyway, that Fallout 1 is the only good RPG ever released". In ALL CAPS for maximum drama.
Chaotic Heretic fixed that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom