Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Ending Discussions (Spoilers, duh)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So, uh.. what'd everyone think about the ending?

Vargas and the entire party of tagaways died. (I'm not bringing them along next time, the wasteland needs more hope.)

My ending slides broke of course, did anyone get a Rail Nomads ending slide?

Also, that twist in the end? And that final run towards the nuke was fucking intense. I sacrificed my whole party, mainly due to how I thought that was the way they should go down.

Also, what was up with Fargo's "We introduce a new gameplay mechanic near the end." does anyone have any idea what he was on about?
Also, what the fuck happened to Angela Deth and the crashed team?!

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Think I got all the slides but half of them for me were screwed up, with people I killed doing things and the like. Think it's because I went overkill with many of them, therefore not finishing quest or something because I stopped caring.

Vargas for me died against first turret. Wasn't surprised, AI's so stupid, figured it would happen. Other than that, I just left my shotgun dude there, since he was worthless anyway. I did notice the missing warhead going in (in the museum) so figured it'd turn out somewhere. I'm just annoyed I couldn't just hack the door from main hall to computer room directly, set up the warhead, then take off, without even worrying about the silly fight down stairs.

Aside from that, you waited for the AI's entire monologue before going up didn't you? :)
I didn't, just rushed up there right after kill Matthias, talked to the babe, and by the time I was at the bomb, AI was still in monologue mode :)

Main new mechanics near the end for me were:
1) Lack of doors in most LA areas, replaced by some "weird glowy things" acting as zone ins.
2) After an entire game were even the toilets end up being trapped and locked by skill level 10+ super geniuses and most loot boxes being completely useless, for some reason, everything at Dugan's base was without lock or trap and yet yielded interesting loot such as med-packs and ammo. Not really needed, but makes you wonder why they didn't do that before.

Other than that, no idea.

Szioul

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria Pathfinder: Wrath
I united the Rail Nomads, got an ending slide that said the guys that build the rails were in charge and the Topekans were dead.

Other than that I think about 1/3 of my slides were wrong.

I'll need to wait until it's patched before replaying I guess.

randir14

Augur
Although I kind of suspected it was coming, it was an interesting surprise when
Rose gets taken over by the Cochise AI and turns against you.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Yea, that's why I killed her within 10 seconds of meeting her.
Well, that and she refused me access to the 3 boxes lying about while I was trying to save the entire bloody complex. Sadly, meant I also had to kill the other guys in AG as well since they all went aggro soon after, even the wheelchair dude who happily went and try to punch me..or something. Go figure :)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, that's why I didn't take synths with me apart from Rose.
Seriously, did anyone find Angela?! What happened to her?

Edit: Ok, so the way it phrased Angela's fate in the ending, sort of points towards a "to be continued" thing.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Also, it seems that if Vargas survives being in your party, he ends up sacrificing himself in the end. Welp, I guess that's the end of the Wasteland 1 party then...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, it seems that if Vargas survives being in your party, he ends up sacrificing himself in the end. Welp, I guess that's the end of the Wasteland 1 party then...

One of my rangers sacrificed themselves in my ending. Vargas survived.

Eyeball

Arcane
I quite like the final assault on Ranger Citadel - depending on what you did during the game, random dudes will show up to help you in the ensuing firefight. I had Matt Forrestal (the guy in the wheelchair from AG center) and the mutants from Darwin show up because I saved them and the Rail Nomads also dropped by to lend a hand because I resolved their conflict bloodlessly. While their help was not strictly speaking needed as I had several laser gunners by then, it was a really nice touch to see your game decisions matter even just a little bit.

Casey the Atkinson chief dies in the Matthias bossfight bravely fighting half a dozen robots but Kekkebah survived. He then volunteered to set off the nuke while my crew scarpered, which I felt was quite a fitting end tg slo the rivalry between the two chiefs. Kekkebah even got his own ending slide applauding his bravery and sacrifice and talking about how he became an example for the wasteland to rally behind.

Razor

Arcane
Things got real dark for me at the end. First puppy got roasted in the great Scorpitron BBQ of Seal Beach. Then Rose and Lex turned on me when the AI took over. This also meant I lost my prime computer techie and medic, so I had to come up with a patchwork replacement with whatever spare points I had. If that were not enough Vargas got himself killed by running deep into the enemy lines and then getting swarmed. No, you cant decline his offer to join- he will come no matter if you like it or not.

In the final sequence I was stuck in the basement because I could not open the door, until I was told that a floppy got you out of there. Also yes, I did listen to Cochise AI and save just as the countdown began, so had a real intense rush finding the floppy and getting out of there. Finally Scotchmo sacrificed himself on the nuke. Good thing i left him with 10 bottles of Snake Squeezin- at least he had a blast on his way out. In conclusion out of seven full time squadies and 2 auxilirary characters (Night Terror and puppy) only four squadies and one auxilirary member survived.

On my second playthrough now I wonder if it is possible to pretend to join Matthiases cause in Hollywood and then warn Ranger Citadel about the impending attack from within. Gonna try it out soon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm better, I heard it three times because not only I pushed the red button, I also sided with Matthias.:troll:
How'd you like it? DISCUSS! it here perhaps, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the alternate endings.

It was good, I obviously sensed that this guy is creep and cannot be trusted so I wasn't surprised that he screwed me over in the end. Maybe I wish it was a fully-fledged ending tho, like I come to Seal Beach and he just grabs me and turns me into synths and then I take part in the attack on the Citadel as a loyal servant of Matthias and at the end there's, like, a Darth Vader moment where I could grab him and throw him down the elevator shaft or something. Or not and the whole world goes to hell :cool:

But I absolutely loved the final parts of the "proper" ending, it was a great moment when I found out all those NPCs I had saved before joined me and want to fight at my side. Maybe the final battle could've been a tiny bit more difficult, I mean I played on Seasoned only but I utterly destroyed the synths with only one casualty - the slow and stupid Jan who attacked the robots with bare fists. All in all tho a great ending to a great game.

P.S. Well except for the screwed ending slides, also I negotiated a peaceful solution at the RNC but not only the slides were all wrong but I didn't have the chiefs at my side in the end either.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
I liked that the NPCs show up at the end. But seriously, fuck the combat in the endgame. Fuck it all. Spending minutes just watching a million enemies (and allies) lumber into place and do their shit is just not fun. I'm oh-so-glad that I managed to survive on the first attempt because if I had had to play that shit over again, urgh...
Score another for shitty RPG end-games though I suppose.

I actually think all my ending slides were correct which was nice. I enjoyed them and the way they were written. To nitpick, I think they could've used a certain something something just after the slides instead of just being dumped to the credits.
But yeah, the slides were awesome. Final battles were awful.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I liked that the NPCs show up at the end. But seriously, fuck the combat in the endgame. Fuck it all. Spending minutes just watching a million enemies (and allies) lumber into place and do their shit is just not fun.

Combat speed slider in the Options has all teh solutions.
I liked the endgame fight a lot and the length was not so bad. C'mon, the endgame fight in D:OS took me like an hour.

Razor

Arcane
I never could test it because as said, my techie went bananas but could you convert the bots in the final battle? If yes then alongside combat slider that is a way to make the contact faster. Even with one lvl 10 computer techie you could probably convert three to four bots to your side.

Eyeball

Arcane
DOH, I didn't realise you could hack robots as well as turrets, but of course.

Can you also use Animal Whisperer to charm aggressive animals?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just finished, really liked last combat .Seeing all the people I helped there helping me, united was satisfaying.
Also love that hostile take over, always love meself a humanity hating AI with evil(!) schemes.
And my ending sliders were %100 accurate, everything I did was there in a correct manner.

Though I still wonder what happened after I pressed that red button in Hollywood sewers!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though I still wonder what happened after I pressed that red button in Hollywood sewers!

I'm curious about this as well. Maybe it was some kind of water release system for flooding the place?

Would have been a pretty awesome way of dealing with salt dealers.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I still haven't finished it since I forgot to save after the battle, Cochise downloaded itself and I didn't activate the nuke in time. The battle was satisfying and not too difficult, but yeah you gotta crank the combat speed to 2x. I too was surprised to see Cochise taking control of Rose (who was my secondary surgeon + main computer techie + secondary energy weapons). Danforth was the best out of the allies, that guy does huge damage compared to the others. The Topekan chief, Reina, Matt and Maggie died during that fight. Let's hope I can save them when I do that fight again tomorrow. :lol:

Wait, you can convert enemy robots? Holy crap. I didn't even know that.

Razor

Arcane
Wait, you can convert enemy robots? Holy crap. I didn't even know that.

Yeah, it seems to be one of those secondary skill usages that a lot of people miss. Kind of OT but to spread the word: mech repair has also a secondary usage- if you critically fail a tumbler/lock you can use mech repair to restore it and try again. NB! If you succeed this works only once.

On the alternate ending topic: when you enter the Citadel Matthias has a conversation with you. I wonder if there is a hidden way to diplomatically effect the final outcome? Reason I am asking is because when the first time I had a rather short discussion with him then the second time I had a much longer talk with him. Debating about what exactly is the definition of the Desert Rangers and why they are different from your run of the mill gangbanger group etc. Who knows, maybe you can talk him into suicide if you have collected some arbitrary evidence from previous areas. COUGH master COUGH :smug:

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah wondered about that too. If you said anything about the Rangers the DUH LAW, he'd stop talking immediately and initiate hostilities but you can have quite a lengthy discussion with him regarding the morality of what he's doing. I wonder if you can uncover something somewhere that would enable you to Rat Diplomacy your way to a bloodless victory.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
And finished! 68 hours and about a dozen unresolved quests. Great game despite a few cons.
I chose to dismiss Rose before the fight and what do you know she actually survives if you do that. Kekkabah decided to sacrifice himself, how nice of him since I was going to sacrifice my useless melee Hard Ass russian thug. Gotta love how Scotchmo became the King of Hobos as well. :D

circ

Arcane
So no one but me had the stragglers go aggro on them? IE Vargas, Mercaptain, Danforth, etc. I never met anyone but Vargas and Mercaptain again when going up and had to shoot them, possibly bugging out my ending slides in the process. But the others were still out there yelling battle cries and keeping me in combat mode.

Ivan

Arcane
Bros, was anyone expecting the two HUGE containers to give way to 2 Scorpitrons? I thought the fight was p gay (considering I hadd like 50 npcs helping me out).

Angela will return and star in the San Fernando Valley expansion.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What I found impressive in the end was how the original Wasteland crew was getting mercilessly murdered throughout the game without turning into some sort of Mary Sue superheroes, even though it happens off-screen for the most part.

Ace is killed right at the start by a shitty synth, Hell Razor soon follows in Damonta, Thrasher doesn't survive the citadel attack, Angela goes Vin Diesel and crashlands (although I never recovered any bodies at the crash site?) and finally Vargas goes an hero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom