Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review PC Gamer Retrospective Review - Fountain of Dreams

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Electronic Arts; Fountain of Dreams

Yesterday saw the release of Wasteland 2, the long-awaited sequel to the 1988 Interplay classic. What many people don't know, however, is that the original Wasteland's publisher, Electronic Arts, tried to release their own Wasteland sequel back in 1990. I say "tried", because what we got instead was Fountain of Dreams, a suspiciously similar-looking non-sequel set in post-apocalyptic Florida. Today, Richard Cobbett, mainstream gaming journalism's official authority on oldschool games, has published a retrospective review of this best-forgotten title over at PC Gamer, as part of his amusing Saturday Crapshoot weekly feature. The article's introduction should make it clear what sort of game Fountain of Dreams was:

So, this week saw the long-awaited release of Wasteland 2, where 'long awaited' is measured more in decades than the couple of years that it's been in development. Luckily, it's good. It's very good. Depending on who you ask though, there already was a sequel to Wasteland, only a year or so after the first one came out. Now, to be clear, the list of people who will tell you that is very small indeed. Not the original Wasteland team, which didn't work on it, not Wasteland fans, who generally try to forget it, and not even publisher EA, which originally did tried to hold it up as a proper sequel, but was apparently convinced of its folly after three ghosts showed up to slap some goddamn sense into it.

Despite that though, the lineage is obvious, and you'd think the thirst for a new Wasteland game would make anything even inspired by it worth a little hardcore fan fondness. How bad could it be that it was politely carved out of history almost as soon as it landed? Well, let's find out!

Though I think we can assume the answer is "Very, very bad."

Fountain Of Dreams takes place in post-apocalyptic Florida, so that's at least a bit different, some fifty years after nuclear strikes carved it off from the mainland. Nobody knows if any life still exists on the mainland or beyond, but all attempts to find out lead to quick death from the contaminated sea all around or the vicious monsters that pick off what radiation can't immediately destroy. Over the last 50 years, that's meant the major cities withdrawing into themselves and becoming city states, people increasingly mutating due to exposure to all the nasty stuff in the air and underfoot, and vicious gangs rising up in the wilderness to threaten adventurers and give everyone a damn good reason to stay home.

Or, to put it another way, "This world is crazy. Too bad you're sane."

As a starting point then, that all seems pretty solid. It's a world like Wasteland, but with its own distinct area and theme, tapping into much the same ideas but with more of a focus on human threats than wandering monsters given a radiation-powered kick up the food chain. I don't see what could possibly go-

Huh. I was expecting a goofy screenshot to appear there. A kind of ironic cut-in of sorts, taking that obvious feed line and presenting a big picture summing up the stupidity of the game in one easily digested collection of pixels, as if-

Killer Clowns. Yes, there's about a 90% shot that having created a party and set out on your quest, the first thing that you'll see is a gang of murderous clowns popping up and pretty much killing you dead with no more effort than throwing a custard pie. It's not like Wasteland played things straight, but there's a difference between having a tongue-in-cheek apocalypse where occasionally you face off against giant rabbits or murder children for their BB guns and outright making an army of killer clowns your equivalent of the NCR or Caesar's Legion - not on occasional gag monster, but a major power base whose ground troops are no laughing matter, and which controls much of the known world.
It's not just the wackiness of the setting, though. You'll have to read the full review to understand the full depths of Fountain of Dreams' lunacy. If you're interested in additional not-Wasteland historical curiosities, you might also want to check out Richard's retrospective of Escape From Hell, another obscure EA RPG that used the Wasteland engine (or at least looked like it). Have I mentioned that it links to our beloved editor's Let's Play?

hexer

The cover of this game is one of my all time favorites :)

fod.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was back in EA's "rockstar artists" period, when game boxes looked like the covers of classic sci-fi novels.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
Fountain of Dreams was a truly terrible game.

I remember that I had put Fountain of Dreams at the top of my Christmas wish list in 1990. Being a huge fan of Wasteland, I was excited that there was a "sequel," and I had no idea that it wasn't created by the same team.

On Dec 22, on one last trip to the mall, I picked up the January 1991 issue of Computer Gaming World. There was a review inside with the subtitle: Scorpia Empties the Fountain of Dreams. Uh-oh.

Every so often, a real oven-roaster comes along, and we have one on the table today. The leading contender for this year's Benjamin Franklin National Bird Award is Fountain of Dreams (FOD).

She concludes with:

There is, though, one good thing: FOD is one of the fastest-loading games I have ever seen. That, combined with no copy protection (but then, a product like this probably doesn't need any), makes it very handy for the many, many times you will be quitting and restoring. One might almost think the game was designed with that in mind.

So with faulty design throughout, "features" designed to aggravate, incessant and boring combat, and a storyline that doesn't hold together, my personal opinion is simple: don't buy this game. Period.

Too bad my mom had already bought it for me via a mail-order store (Chips 'n Bits, I think), so returning it wasn't really an option. I did try to play it for a bit, but it was truly awful. The local Radio Shack did sell used computer games on consignment, so I eventually ditched it there.

Full CGW issue: http://pdf.textfiles.com/zines/CGW/1991_01_issue78.pdf

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's fascinating how certain people are able to distinguish between "good" and bad 80s and early 90s crpgs.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
He has a point. Very few people are able to distinguish between good and bad games from that era. I am quite certain that a few people think that if a game looks ugly, seems turn based, and has an apparently complicated interface, it has to be great.

I will not give names, but you all know who I am talking about.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The point was making it sound like all RPGs from that era are bad. The typical clueless and plebeian attitude always displayed by Roguey.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The point was making it sound like all RPGs from that era are bad. The typical clueless and plebeian attitude always displayed by Roguey.

You do know Roguey has a thread in GD, where she brags about how many ignores she has, right?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've yet to play one that wasn't. I only completed Wasteland to troll about it here. If not for these forums, it would have been abandoned much like Ultima 4, Pool of Radiance, Wizardry 6, etc.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
It's heartening to see the Codex is having such a positive influence on your life.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I had no idea Roguey was female. You hang out here for a few years, and you still learn anything new everyday.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've yet to play one that wasn't. I only completed Wasteland to troll about it here. If not for these forums, it would have been abandoned much like Ultima 4, Pool of Radiance, Wizardry 6, etc.
2 of JES's favorite 3 cRPGs are from the late 80s :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Only Pool of Radiance actually, but the point stands

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh yeah, got the years a bit off on Darklands, although Roguey's first post includes early 90s.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
JES would also agree that there are many aspects of PoR, Darklands, and Fallout that are terrible. You had to be there, as they say.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I bet Roguey burnt down the Library of Alexandria to stop the texts being unduly valued once they became passe shit.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The reviewer complains about killer clowns a lot, but I don't think they're that implausible. Florida is infested with Juggalos, perhaps more so than any other state.

oscar

Arcane
From the let's play I saw Wasteland had much dumber stuff than psycho clowns

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You do know Roguey has a thread in GD, where she brags about how many ignores she has, right?

I did not know that Mr. Roguey has a thread in GD, where she brags about how many ignores it has. Their ego must be big!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo just told me that both Fountain of Dreams and Escape from Hell (both 1990) built their own engine and didn't use Wasteland's, since "the Wasteland engine could barely be called an engine with all the hand coding you had to do."

Now we just need to find out whether FoD and EfH used the same engine or different ones, and how they went about building them.

EDIT: Also asked Brian about whether FoD and EfH could've use some of Wasteland's source code. His reply:

I am not 100% sure that they did not use the code but I highly doubt it. I think that we would have had to have been paid royalties if they did use our code and they are likely to a wanted to avoid that. And Dave Albert came on as the wasteland producer only at the very end.

Last edited:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
After I finished my Wasteland LP, I tried playing Fountain of Dreams to see if it would be a good candidate for a follow-up LP.

It wasn't. I didn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom