Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News That Which Sleeps Kickstarter launched

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Kickstarter; King Dinosaur Games; That Which Sleeps

a1ad69481b5ba035d1a13c4404a3bb49_large.png

That Which Sleeps, a turn-based game where one assumes the role of a recently awakened ancient old god intent on dominion of the world, has had its Kickstarter launched.

Features

• Corrupt, conquer, charm, and manipulate - with a fully realized world driven by thematic AIs that follow their own interests you can pursue multiple paths to victory.
  • Customize the world with your choices at the beginning of each scenario, choosing an Ancient Evil and selecting his origins and what dire deeds he has wrought on the world.
  • Make difficult choices with limited agents, choosing to send your Prophet to rouse the orc hordes or beset Kings with maddening dreams will greatly change the flow of the game.
  • Disrupt the Balance of Power by creating famines in the farmland, stoking the flame of old vendettas, or recruiting pirates to the sea.
  • Watch the fame of your Agents rise and heroes will begin to hunt them down. Let them fall as scapegoats and keep your name secret, or imbue them with dark power and take the fight back to the heroes.
  • Each action you take leaves clues behind that cunning heroes can decipher, eventually leading them to the truth. Kill or corrupt them before they find a receptive ear at court
  • A fully functioning in-game Editor that allows you to create your own scenarios, old ones, heroes, artifacts, and even agents
  • Localization supported for multiple languages and character sets

King Dinosaur Games is asking for $12,000 in funding. So far, as of this post, they have received $2,200 with 29 days left.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
2.2k out of 12k in 3 hours. It'll get funded no problem. I just want to see it hit the 53k stretch goal for procedural world generation a la dwarf fortress. The stretch goals for religions and rival old ones also seem like 'must-haves'.

I hope RPGCodex is doing a fundraiser once DU finishes peddling USB sticks. $3k for our very own ITZ Coming campaign with additional FUN™ seems very reasonable.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
His prosperous ways are unfathomable to minds who think in less than 7 dimensions.

Back on topic. I really hope the Codex does a fundraiser for this. It seems right up our alley.

So far I've pledged enough for the custom event. I'm thinking something along the lines of having your agents assemble a Codex of forbidden lore, which you can plant on a hero to give them an immediate boost in power, but driving them mad over time. Depending on how complex the events get to be, it could be a series of steps to build the codex where the degree of success achieved in each determined how much of a short-tirm power boost it gives a hero and how easy they'll be to drive insane in the long term.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
His prosperous ways are unfathomable to minds who think in less than 7 dimensions.

Back on topic. I really hope the Codex does a fundraiser for this. It seems right up our alley.

So far I've pledged enough for the custom event. I'm thinking something along the lines of having your agents assemble a Codex of forbidden lore, which you can plant on a hero to give them an immediate boost in power, but driving them mad over time. Depending on how complex the events get to be, it could be a series of steps to build the codex where the degree of success achieved in each determined how much of a short-tirm power boost it gives a hero and how easy they'll be to drive insane in the long term.
Great idea. Something like:
Hi there. Just came a cross this forum througha link shared on the BIS side. Most of you probably don't me; but some do (hi Saint Proverbius). *hears all the groans*

Anyways, the reason I'm doing an "official" introduction is because I ahve a funny feeling that some of my opinions on role-playing games will probably clash with some of yours. Just ask SP about that. Heh.

First of all, I have to say I love rpgs. I've been playing pnp rpgs for almost two decades - mostly dnd; but also others at times like Whit Wolf, Palladium, et al. I mostly dm, and my players say I'm good at it; but I never take that joke seriously.

Now, to computer role-playing games. I've played many of them. My favorites include the IE games (mostly the BG series, and PST), the Fallout Series (FO2 being my favorite game of all time), the FF series (though they terchnically aren't real rpgs; more like adventure games), Arcanum, and *looks around* NWN. Yyes, I know, that game isn't popular around; but I will explain my position in a bit. Other games I have played are the GB series, Wizardry, M&M, ES series, and Bard's Tales. I played Diablo 1 a long time ago and di not care for it; and I haven't even bothered trying Diablo 2. Since they are most definitely more action games then anything.

Now, to explain why I like the FO series the most. It's simple. It's the closest crpg series that comes close to giving a real freedom of choice. Not perfect; but more so then even my other top favorite games. Choices are the key for crpgs; along with a decent story.

The BG series, and PST are my next top ones due to the characters involved. Very memorable characters indeed there. Of course, I know that some including SP dislike the BG series thinking the characters are "shallow", or what not; but I just ahve to disagree with that for now.

Now, here comes the big one... NWN. I like this game. *sees the lynch mob preparing to termiante his existence*. Woah there. This doesn't mean that I think it's the best game ever as far as the OC goes. In fact, I would rate it somehwere in the 70's on a scale of 1-100. There are MANY weaknesses I can point out about it (like most games). A few are the overabundace of kewl lewt (gross), the module format, and the step backwards from the IE npcs. The story while not something origianl; still isn't bad compared to most crpgs that I have had the unfortuanate way to play. Aribeth *hears more groans* is one of my fvaorite characters in any crpg. Why, you ask? Simple. I cared about her plight. That doens't happen all the time for me so that really helped the game alot. Now, what really makes the game one of my top faves is that with all the on line play, and module making ability; it is probably the closest to true pnp rping on a computer I have seen yet. Not all will agree of course.

Now, to make it clear, I'm not one of those NWN fans who ignore complaints about the OC with lame exuses like the following:"iNWN was menat as a mp game"; "NWN has 4 parts"; or "the OC is just an after thought". Those are nonsesne. BIo intened for the OC to be as good as possible. In fact; they promised that. We can debeate how good or bad it was/is; but there is no doubt about what was intended by BIO. Now, I have been called a NWN/BIO fanboy by more than few people including SP before; but I think I have been fair (but still just giving my opinion) about the game even if you happen to disagree with me.

Anyways, sorry for all this garbage I posted; but I was reading some of the threads here; I thought I'd give a heads up before I was consantly atatcked as I will always try to be courteous in my posts while still giving my opinion whether one agrees or not.

I will stop now since most are bored by now. I know I am.

Volourn.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=9043&highlight=#9043

And a few years on the codex later:
You ar emoran.
NWN is the best game EVAR. Period. R00FLEcopter

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That succinctly sums up what prolonged exposure to the Codex should do to heroes in TWS.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems like a fairly original concept, will be watching this one closely
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/that-which-sleeps-sauron-rapes-tbs.93379/

I plan on backing this, but I've got a question first:
KingDinosaurGames will there be a DRM-free version? I've avoided STEAM so far and I don't plan on installing it for That Which Sleeps, sry.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/comments?cursor=7940954#comment-7940953 said:
We will be offering a DRM-Free version through the Humblestore, though you lose access to our Steamworks support for modding (this will not impact using scenarios as they load from the folder structure) but we have some great features planned. I thought we put it out there explicitly but looks like we forgot - I'll add it to the FAQ we're compiling. Thanks for the heads up!

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry, just saw this post - yes their is a DRM free version. We have already been confirmed for the Humble store and a Codexer (Codexee, Codexhead?) recommended GoG so I've sent over an application there as well.

A comment was raised on the other post about whether or not the DRM free version will be inferior - all features are available in both builds it is only that the Steam version will integrate Steamworks to let people easily find and upload custom Scenarios, Mods, and Game Modes. However it will only be for searching and uploading, the actual functionality for loading any modification is inside the engine and will not be dependent on Steam in the slightest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Say, does your Ancient One ever have to directly participate in events?
Or is everything done through Agents alone and whatever powahz the Ancient one has?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Say, does your Ancient One ever have to directly participate in events?
Or is everything done through Agents alone and whatever powahz the Ancient one has?
Afaik, once your ancient one wakes he becomes a character who walks around (except for Azlan who instawins)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've been whoring out advertizing the project in a couple of organizations I frequent. You should expect a fair amount of additional pledges this week once people get their paychecks.
:greatjob:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game where you can do evil shit while you are evil monster from deep of sea and human dark parts of mind? Where you will manipulate, fuck with good heroes and kill a lot of stupid, innocent people? Well. I think many people on Codex will love that.
:takemymoney:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
"their is a language"

heavy-handed, typoey, cosmic horror as pitched at illiterate nerds, thinkin I'll sit this one out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom