Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AGEOD for the uninitiated?

Erzherzog

Magister
I'm a huge history nerd, I'm a huge strategy game nerd. Yet I've never tried out any AGEOD titles, even though they touch obscure conflicts I know no one else will look to.

My question is, where's a good place to start? What's their best? What's their worst? I hear PoN is not worth the time even though it's taken place in my exact favorite time period to study...

Some of the titles that caught my eye are Espana 1936, Revolution Under Siege, and their American Civil War titles, how do those stand?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Probably want to start with any of the AJE variations or Wars in America 2 for smaller scale stuff that AGEOD does, though some of the AJE campaigns are quite complicated. That said, ACW and Revolution are seen as the "big" games, and something to tackle last as far as complexity/scale. They are also considered to be in their upper tier of releases. Though, I got my start with ACW simply because it was "the" American Civil War game to try, and it worked out fine.

Honestly, just pick the period you are most interested in that isn't considered a clunker, and that's as good a place to start as any.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I recommend you try Wars in America 2 or Espana36. Dont start with Revolution under Siege, the map is simply huge.
Most of us started with one of the big games right away but that means a steep learning curve. For a beginner it is easier to start with a smaller map and less units.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, like KoolNoodles said, just pick the era that you're interested in. If you're really concerned about learning how to play, though, take Wars in America 2. That has some very small, simple scenarios in it.

Erzherzog

Magister
I'm more worried about which ones suck than I am about which ones are difficult, all the same I'll probably get Espana and take it from there.

Burning Bridges

Espan~a is a good choice to start, because the campaign can be finished in a few days, and you wont have to keep the complete map of Russia in your head.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I prefer AJE since it has both small and big scenarios, scenarios are varied and interesting and finally because it Rome man, Rome. With all due respect Spain isnt nearly as interesting and while Spanish Civil War is very under represented in games it wasn't a very interesting conflict as far as military achievements go. Just a slow and painful slaughter...

Burning Bridges

.. until you played Rome and WWII for 10 years, suddenly scenarios like Spain become very interesting.

The imaginary one from 273 - 250ish BC in which the Romans conquer Europe and the near East with 2000 war dogs, 500 flaming pigs and 350 gladiators

Burning Bridges

Let's not compare apples and oranges or which one is better. Personally I was not much interested when they started the Roman branch of their game, but I kind of agree with the decision. Rome has become overused in TV and games. I lobbied them to make Russian Revolution, Spanish Civil War, World War 1, and hopefully Chinese Civil War, 30 years war in Germany or Japanese Sengoku.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'm interested in Alea Jacta Est and To End All Wars.
How are these games played? Like the HoI series?
I like strategy games but to my embarrassment I just found out about these games thanks to this thread. :oops:

Last edited:

Erzherzog

Magister
Let's not compare apples and oranges or which one is better. Personally I was not much interested when they started the Roman branch of their game, but I kind of agree with the decision. Rome has become overused in TV and games. I lobbied them to make Russian Revolution, Spanish Civil War, World War 1, and hopefully Chinese Civil War, 30 years war in Germany or Japanese Sengoku.

Holy shit, Chinese Civil War would be amazing, I actually have a very large interest in the Warlord Era as well and if I EVER got anything for that I would be all over it.

Picked up Espana, derping around a lot. Just finished a book on the American Civil War so I'm looking into that next....but should I do number 1 or 2?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about something set in 5th and early 4th century Greece. We have Herodotus, Thucydides, and Xenophon writing awesome as fuck history books about that time period, so where are the games?? Name some accurate games, just try it. I mean, you have hegemony borefest which is the most repetitious game imaginable, and you have... that slitherine game which almost tried to be accurate. So much fail.

Same goes for the Warring States period of China. I don't give a toss about the three kingdoms period, post-Qin is decline central. Pick a decent time period for a change, rather than rehashing the same tired out shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom