Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

I'm tempted to grind a shitload of moolah running gold in my Lakon-9. But I'm worried we'll either have a cash reset or beta 2 won't bring multiple ship hangars with it.
They haven't mentioned multiple ships yet, so I would operate under the assumption that it's not in. Still, can't wait to go exploring. Going to get enough skrilla today to upgrade to a hauler at least, then hopefully then the money will pour in fast enough for me to either get a lakon-6 or a Cobra (might go with the Cobra and just fight suckas to get my combat rating up for Beta2).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lakon-6 has a way higher jump range than the cobra. Worth mentioning if you're interested in exploration or trade

The Fish

Arcane
I would think the new Asp explorer ship being introduced in beta 2 will have the highest jump range. Hopefully they implement some exploration mechanics so there's actually a reason to travel out into the big new universe.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lack of multiple hangars, infant economy, resets et al. are prime reasons why I haven't been bothering to play all that much.

It's important to me that I learn the controls inside and out (preferably without the keybindings I spent three hours meticulously setting up and testing just, whoopsie!, resetting after a patch) and get lots of practice fighting other players before launch, but I can do that in a two-month supermarathon.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm tempted to grind a shitload of moolah running gold in my Lakon-9. But I'm worried we'll either have a cash reset or beta 2 won't bring multiple ship hangars with it.
They haven't mentioned multiple ships yet, so I would operate under the assumption that it's not in. Still, can't wait to go exploring. Going to get enough skrilla today to upgrade to a hauler at least, then hopefully then the money will pour in fast enough for me to either get a lakon-6 or a Cobra (might go with the Cobra and just fight suckas to get my combat rating up for Beta2).

Well, they were talking about having your explorer ship near the frontier and your combat/trader ship for the core systems. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I'm ready to sell my lakon-9 and go exploring anyway. Got 5 mill in the bank. If they make an explorer/fighter ship, I'll be a happy camper.

The supercruise wake tracker sounds like a good addition too if you're looking to PVP. A viable way to drop in on other players and blow their shit up. (Or just taking out their shields and sabotaging their cargo hatch, making them poop their precious cargo into spehss).

So spent today building my nest egg. Now in a Cobra, with enough cash for a Lakon-6 (but would not be able to fill it with cargo, so going to do two more runs with my Cobra tomorrow to get enough cash). Once Lakon-6 happens, massive trader until I can get a Lakon-9, and then... all the moneys. Goal is to have a ton before the next beta, so I can get a Viper, kit it to the max, and fuck shit up. Leave the exploring to the hippies - I'm going to be a pirate.

Docking computers should be more expensive - so awesome though.

Finally got my Lakon 6 and I'm making some decent money finally.

Bradylama

Arcane
I liked the idea of everything being wiped from the beta because the best players on the release would be the most skilled. It's not going to be that long before people will be able to start exploring.

The Fish

Arcane
I liked the idea of everything being wiped from the beta because the best players on the release would be the most skilled. It's not going to be that long before people will be able to start exploring.

Just to be clear. There will be a wipe before gamma, and possibly another wipe when the full release comes out.

Yeah, there's going to be a wipe before release. This is just the next beta, and I guess they want to start testing stuff right out of the gate (which once again makes a lot of sense).

Mortmal

Arcane
Here's Frontier at EGX demonstrating beta 2: http://www.twitch.tv/egx/b/571962295?t=69m00s

Confirmed for carebear sadly.

Thats not exactly what he said, fighting other players will be unusual according the scale of the game and that most ships are AI. Later he even says each dots on the screen are real star, i understand that its so huge pvp will probably ocurs if you go on a very frequented and profitable trade route know by all or some systems where people gather for pvp.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
New newsletter out. Nothing new about mechanics, but there's some nice eyecandy there. (Click images for larger versions)

We have talked about the outposts which will be introduced into Beta 2. Click here for a video that shows how precarious docking can be out in the open!

Below is a selection of images from Beta 2 to whet your appetite for Tuesday!

The Asp is ready for you Commanders...

Raapys

Arcane
Ye the ship design is uninspired. Presumably they want to keep the poly count down and collision detection simple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom