Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

Niektory

one of some
Patron
I'm sorry... but it had to be done.

mHKmuGX.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And Jake Solomon agreed to do an interview! :D

I like the guy, he's a true old-school fan that had the balls to say that his XCOM wasn't better than the original one. And it's really fun to see him fangirling next to Julian Gollop.

purpleblob

Savant
It's very interesting to see the traffic that the blog is getting. Top two countries are Korea and Poland, and they published nice articles on it:

http://gitgames.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/powstaje-kolejny-e-book-o-crpg.html
http://crpgnews.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/더-crpg-북/
http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...27/read?bbsId=G003&itemId=7&articleId=1517736

Sadly, google translator isn't able to handle Korean. But it's very funny what I get trying:

Google Translator said:
Pepe Felipe user driven RPG Codex Red Troll's Lair is CRPG book project is.

But my favorite mistranslation is:

Google Translator said:
renowned developers like Team Cain and Abel

Tim Cain became "Team Cain and Abel"? Where the hell the Abel come from? :lol:

Haha, both sites have exact same texts in Korean (yes I'm Korean, so I can read it :P) The first line translation is actually quite precise, just order is jumbled due to grammar.

I think more accurate translation would be something like this:

빨간 트롤 소굴 RPG 코덱스의 유저 펠리페 페페가 주도하는 CRPG 북 프로젝트입니다. --> It is CRPG book project lead by user Felipepepe from red troll's lair, RPG codex.

2nd last sounds a little off, they are pronouncing Chris Avellon's name in American way (most of Asian countries speak in American english) hence, the Abel thing.

팀 케인과 크리스 아벨론 --> would sound Tim Cain and Chris Abellon.

purpleblob

Savant
I like their replies :) A lot of them are willing to do translation. Many of them are disappointed that they can't read/understand the sample reviews and some a bit butt hurt that no Korean RPGs are in the book (don't worry, someone sensible pointed out, there aren't many Korean SP RPGs out there, let alone the good ones to be included in the book).

One person said he/she really enjoyed Morrowind review, that he/she can really feel how reviewer is really passionate about the game etc. Wishing luck for all those participating.

Another said he/she is surprised that there are wide selection of games included, he/she thought since it's from RPGcodex, the selection of games will be more limited/restricted (also wondering why Risen 3 isn't included).

garren

Arcane
Patron
Dunno if addressed already, but I was looking at this spreadsheet and there's usually a comment if mods should be mentioned, but there's nothing on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or Arx Fatalis.

Arx Libertatis should definitely be mentioned, as it is an open source project that fixes a lot of bugs, brings modern OS compatibility and linux support to boot.

Then there's Project Vaulderie for Bloodlines, which is a port to Unity and brings OSX and linux support, and other assorted goodies. Of course, this project is still young and hasn't proven itself yet, so it could be skipped maybe. Check the news portion of the site for latest stuff on how the project is developing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Don't worry garren:

4svngFF.png

Still WIP, but the review was written by Wesp5 himself, that's why I didn't even bother to write about the mods. The excel sheet is just a guideline, I speak with everyone and debate details. ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Don't worry garren:Still WIP, but the review was written by Wesp5 himself, that's why I didn't even bother to write about the mods. The excel sheet is just a guideline, I speak with everyone and debate details. ;)

Hey, separate forum, great !

Anyway, I know it's WIP but I'm just pointing to the comment under the last VTMB pic. You should omit "various" from "...with various different approaches and solutions."

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
If you're still looking for someone, I would love to try writing about Ambermoon and hopefully help making more people go through the hassle of setting up WinUAE to experience this beautiful game :salute:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Damn...Adventure Construction Set and Moebius still need reviews? Reading that list really takes me back to my C64 days. Wish I had time to write something up. How long are you planning on all this taking?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn...Adventure Construction Set and Moebius still need reviews? Reading that list really takes me back to my C64 days. Wish I had time to write something up. How long are you planning on all this taking?
When its done.™

Seriously, I depend on submissions, and need people to write the reviews to finish the book. Hopefully I get everything in the next 4-5 months. :)

If you're still looking for someone, I would love to try writing about Ambermoon and hopefully help making more people go through the hassle of setting up WinUAE to experience this beautiful game :salute:
That would be great. Can you do a 2400 characters review? And there's no need to talk about WinUAE, there will be a different article on past PC & emulators. ;)

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I could perhaps take a stab at Anvil of Dawn.

Murk

Arcane
I could perhaps take a stab at Anvil of Dawn.

I was thinking AoD as well, but I'll leave that to you. I'll try writing one for Kult. I'd offer to write one for Risen, and would enjoy it more, but I won't be able to comment on the sequels at all as I never touched them.

Murk

Arcane
Mark me for Kult.

EDIT: I'm assuming I have a bit of time for this? Like 2 weeks at least?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So Anvil of Dawn and Kult? Can I mark them as assigned then? :)
I wonder the same thing as Mikayel. I'd like to try write something quite in-depth, requiring a bit of research and some actual playing of the game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, I should be able to deliver an Anvil of Dawn review by the end of the year.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2800 characters, make sure to explain how the game works for those that never heard about it before, and any screenshot is appreciated. :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's really hard for me to promise a precise date... come the end of the year I'll delete all assignments that weren't delivered and search for new reviewers. I'll also start to write some easy ones that I was waiting so see if others would take, like Costume Quest and King Quest VIII: Mask of Eternity.

I HOPE that it's all done Q1 2015. But I really must say that next thursday is a more accurate date. or perhaps something more subtle:

*** SIXTY EIGHT REVIEWS REMAINING ***
! ----------------------------------------- !

THE INCLINE ENERGY IS APPROACHING CRITICAL MASS. CAN IT BE TRUE? CAN A SINGLE BRAZILIAN BY HIMSELF DO WHAT HORDES OF GAMING JOURNOUS COULD NOT ACHIEVE?
IS ALL PREVIOUS HUMAN ACCOMPLISHMENT ABOUT TO BE ECLIPSED BY A HUEHUE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom