Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

There's something royally fucked up with the mainstream review system(Well, that' an under statement.), specifically in regards to bugs, giving low scores based on day 1 bugs, or in the case of joystik, pre-release review build bugs, is really, really stupid. I imagine if Inxile thought reviewers were that out of touch they would have waited until the release of the game to let them get their hands on it. Thing is, although I'm not a huge fan of this gaming trend, it doesn't take a rocket science to realize that a game released in 2014 will have several patches, sometimes day 1 patches. Maybe it's more of a problem with meta critic, which will log that score for all time, regardless of the fact that those issues that plagues the reviewer were dealt with a week later. NV suffered from this pretty badly, to this day people who play the game are surprised at how much better it is than 3, with most of the serious bugs not affecting them.
:negative:
Too bad those same morons aren't equal with their bug disdain, given Skyrim and the other betheshit.

Psquit

Arcane
Seems like a bunch of metacritic users didn't like it: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wasteland-2

Ignore those autistic faggots at metacritic
aaa.png

Metacritic review 0/10 - "This game is a piece of unplayable crap. Terrible graphics, poor animation, almost no story, frustriting fights. Hey, playing such thing in 2014 is like necrophilia."

Fucking ignore fallout 3 autistic tard m8.

epeli

Arcane
I've been cautiously pessimistic since the beginning because of their engine choice and use of default unity assets in screenshots.
When a game engine is named Unity, you just know it has to be insidiously evil.
Master_%28Fallout%29.jpg
The thing I'm curious about: how's the performance? Anyone here playing this on a toaster? I've read about all sorts of technical issues you wouldn't expect from a multi-million project by veteran developers, like low framerates even on high-end rigs, only dx9 renderer working properly, screen tearing issues, et cetera... goddamn Unity. Also, if anyone has toyed with the game's assets, what's making it need a whopping 30 GB? A bunch of poorly encoded HD videos or what?

SniperHF

Arcane
Green herb and red herb........hmmmmm. :lol:

The thing I'm curious about: how's the performance? Anyone here playing this on a toaster? I've read about all sorts of technical issues you wouldn't expect from a multi-million project by veteran developers, like low framerates even on high-end rigs, only dx9 renderer working properly, screen tearing issues, et cetera... goddamn Unity.

What do you consider a toaster? I've got a variety of lower end HW laying around. I can install it and give you an idea. I know that in the beta the game was playable at lower resolutions on my older E8400 + 9800 GTX. 20-30 FPS or so at minimum details/1440x900 with dips when there are explosions and such. And that was several months ago before optimization passes. The DX9 renderer does work properly. Some people are reporting screen tearing on the official board/steam.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I distinctly remember it was said $15 is necessary enough at the time.. I also have a conversation with Brother None about it... So codex reneges on its word :P

Well, I dunno. The campaign description says
50 digital copies of Wasteland
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8034

It could be that there was some additional arrangement with InXile that came after that, which I have forgotten about. I'd need to double check.

I distinctly remember being tagged in a thread which purpose was to let know the OP if the tagged users wanted a key or not. I said I wanted mine. But now I can't remember if this was for W2 or D:OS :M

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There's something royally fucked up with the mainstream review system(Well, that' an under statement.), specifically in regards to bugs, giving low scores based on day 1 bugs, or in the case of joystik, pre-release review build bugs, is really, really stupid. I imagine if Inxile thought reviewers were that out of touch they would have waited until the release of the game to let them get their hands on it. Thing is, although I'm not a huge fan of this gaming trend, it doesn't take a rocket science to realize that a game released in 2014 will have several patches, sometimes day 1 patches. Maybe it's more of a problem with meta critic, which will log that score for all time, regardless of the fact that those issues that plagues the reviewer were dealt with a week later. NV suffered from this pretty badly, to this day people who play the game are surprised at how much better it is than 3, with most of the serious bugs not affecting them.
:negative:
Too bad those same morons aren't equal with their bug disdain, given Skyrim and the other betheshit.

Two things here.. one I agree with and one I don't.

I think we give CRPG's too much of a pass on being buggy messes that will be "patched later" or "the community will fix it". Thats bullshit. Bugs correlate directly with the quality of the game sorry. If this was EA or beta then stfu about bugs unless your reporting it to the devs, if this game is released though, it should be mostly stable and playable, bugs are not excused and should effect the rating day 1 or not.

When I wrote software for a certain bank I won't disclose as an intern during college, I was paid about the same as a game dev and had just as tight deadlines to finish projects. If I had a few bugs that maybe displayed your bank information to the wrong person, I don't think I would get a pass for "day one growing pains"

Now, if your bitching that people have shit on this game because the trend of gaming has gone pop-a-mole, I agree with you 100% and think it's bullshit.

Wasteland 2 so far is fucking amazing.. I can't wait to play this game all night and tomorrow and I definitely can't wait to see Torment from InXile.. they have really surprised me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Don't fuck with gila monsters... RUN AWAY!
Running away not allowed :(

Since one of my guys has Outdoorsman, when the encounter popped up we DID have a 75% chance to avoid the encounter, and for one tiny second, my inner voice said RUN.......

But I didn't :(

But I learned not to fuck with those things (this early on), though we are not told what it is we will be fighting. I think I'll avoid overland map encounters for a while until we get a few more levels on us. And resources are VERY scarce in the beginning, so that's probably a good idea.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Looks like I royally fucked my rangers by not taking Surgeon on any character. Restarting with a new party. Initial impressions: character creation is fun. Combat is good except I keep wishing there were attacks of opportunity and idk if I like the initiative system. Dialogue system is awesome.

:thumbsup:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Looks like I royally fucked my rangers by not taking Surgeon on any character. Restarting with a new party."

How long til Shityer calls WL2 'worst game evar'.

SniperHF

Arcane
What do you consider a toaster?
Whenever talking about PC games, any rig that's close to minimum requirements.

Well I just tried the release version on a below minimum spec system (Core 2 Duo + 9800 GTX). It runs smooth 60 FPS at minimum details 1600x900 resolution at Ag Center. It's not pretty at minimum but runs quite well. You'll have no problem on a minimum spec machine.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm playing with my entire party at Int 10 so I can keep as many utility skills as possible high. Yes, it makes combat a nightmare. Angela is my saving grace.

Like some dude above, I've run almost completely out of ammo in the ag center, which apparently I'm not allowed to leave. I was hoping the merchant there would have some rounds...but nope. So this is gonna get real interesting real fast.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
What do you consider a toaster?
Whenever talking about PC games, any rig that's close to minimum requirements.

Well I just tried the release version on a below minimum spec system (Core 2 Duo + 9800 GTX). It runs smooth 60 FPS at minimum details 1600x900 resolution at Ag Center. It's not pretty at minimum but runs quite well. You'll have no problem on a minimum spec machine.

Be aware that some areas will go from 60 to 10 (areas like Rail Nomad's camp seem to do this)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Think I'll write a review:

GOTY 10/10 because that other reviewer said something that pissed me off.

I think we give CRPG's too much of a pass on being buggy messes that will be "patched later" or "the community will fix it". Thats bullshit. Bugs correlate directly with the quality of the game sorry. If this was EA or beta then stfu about bugs unless your reporting it to the devs, if this game is released though, it should be mostly stable and playable, bugs are not excused and should effect the rating day 1 or not.

When I wrote software for a certain bank I won't disclose as an intern during college, I was paid about the same as a game dev and had just as tight deadlines to finish projects. If I had a few bugs that maybe displayed your bank information to the wrong person, I don't think I would get a pass for "day one growing pains"

Now, if your bitching that people have shit on this game because the trend of gaming has gone pop-a-mole, I agree with you 100% and think it's bullshit.

Wasteland 2 so far is fucking amazing.. I can't wait to play this game all night and tomorrow and I definitely can't wait to see Torment from InXile.. they have really surprised me.
Eh, I guess I'm torn, on the one hand I do think the industry standard of releasing bugfilled messes and cleaning them up later is crap. But at the same time, the purpose of a game review should be what? To inform the consumers of what they're getting into, but with the way games are, unless the game is beyond unplayable, the thing you reviewed will cease to exist in a matter of days with patching, and your review has thus become fucking useless. Are Fallout 1 and 2 shit because bugs are still being found years later? After all patches? Nah, and the fixes exist. It's a fine line for me, between not wanting to let devs get away with releasing crap, but not wanting great games to get swept under the rug because they missed some bugs that they fixed the next damn day.

Well, at least is cleve turns out to be legit, no one can really argue about his insistence on quashing every bug.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Not knowing what's safe to get rid of and what needs to be kept is a big part of these games.

In a game with a "sell junk" button, I don't think that's quite as much the case as you imply. It would be pretty absurd to have to pick through your "sell junk" list to recover anything that was actually useful every time you used that option. Although interestingly the can of white spraypaint I found in my first repaired toaster isn't marked as junk and has a unique description (and is described as being rare), so there may be -some- element of that. Maybe I should talk to that guy trying to get rid of graffiti at the Citadel...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Eh, I guess I'm torn, on the one hand I do think the industry standard of releasing bugfilled messes and cleaning them up later is crap. But at the same time, the purpose of a game review should be what? To inform the consumers of what they're getting into, but with the way games are, unless the game is beyond unplayable, the thing you reviewed will cease to exist in a matter of days with patching, and your review has thus become fucking useless. Are Fallout 1 and 2 shit because bugs are still being found years later? After all patches? Nah, and the fixes exist. It's a fine line for me, between not wanting to let devs get away with releasing crap, but not wanting great games to get swept under the rug because they missed some bugs that they fixed the next damn day.

Well, at least is cleve turns out to be legit, no one can really argue about his insistence on quashing every bug.

A reviewers job is to just give their opinion and review a game.. Then you decide which one you like and who emulates your interests best. If your okay with bugs in a game as long as it's good overall.. I would find a reviewer who is the same.. Who will mention that bugs happen but for the most part you can work around them and it still ends up pretty good.

I don't think game reviewers have any obligation to judge games under a certain precedence or in a certain way.. Theres no "bro code" for reviewers, I think bugs are a fair reason to dislike a game especially if they are game breaking or broken content..

OTOH if they are sitting behind a pile of Doritos chips and mountain dew and shilling like a cheap whore then I will probably never go back to that site.
#GURMERGATE!!!

http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit
  • Lost his surgeon permanently due to a trapped chest at the Radio Tower.

Time to reroll! God I wish this game was more :balan.. JUST KIDDING

Psquit

Arcane
Guys i'm confused. In wasteland 1 you kill the bad robots trying to take over the world(you kill the computer thing and torch down the bunker) how come that they are the big bad guys again?

Dont tell me that the leftover robot army became self-aware and create their own religion... because thats fucking AWESOME!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom