Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Zetor

Arcane
I don't know why they couldn't have delayed the DC by a few weeks... at least don't release it on the same week as WL2 and Elminage! It's not even like the date was forced on them by the publisher / chosen to capitalize on a wave of marketing hype (I don't think the KS updates or the new trailer got more than a few hundred prospective new buyers altogether) / chosen as a result of a "release this now or we run out of money" situation -- it was purely their decision.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anyone is having the problem of the game running on slowmotion for some reason? It is almost unplayable. What is strange is that the game was running fine then all of sudden everything on slowmotion... odd.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
5F04CE1561CCA55C878940F4E1541570C18C7240

It looks like there is more descriptive text now? I like that.

0527E9F7FE21FF88BD64A097336326CC60E7BD12

I like this new combat UI.

5080A2C47EBAC40B3252A600AD33008EB7F8C8C0

FOUR FUCKING CHA just to have 2 etiquette's... fucking painful....

I used the same portrait in vanilla campaign :lol:.

Downloading. I'm glad to wait patiently and have a good, standalone expansion to play. Wasteland 2 can wait.

Is there any reaason to buy the shadowruns returns base game? It is on sale for $3.75 on steam for another hour, need to decide...or should I just buy the dragonfall director cut and save the $3.75? Have not played any of these games yet...

Gord

Arcane
Is there any reaason to buy the shadowruns returns base game? It is on sale for $3.75 on steam for another hour, need to decide...or should I just buy the dragonfall director cut and save the $3.75? Have not played any of these games yet...

See the previous page for some more thoughts about that. IMO it's worth the price, but you won't miss too much by not buying it.

thx guys, I guess I will just get it for $3.75... it and wasteland 2 will take me so long to play that maybe I can end up with dragonfall DC for $5 bucks down the road, since Wasteland and Shadowrun Returns will likely take me all the way to POE and I play games very slowly. Will probably take me 6 months to finish wasteland 2 for instance...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dislike of sloppy grammar and shoddy editing in a story- and dialog-driven game is "sperging" to you, and not a legitimate criticism? It's everywhere—throughout the character creation text, on the first splash screen, and already quite evident in what little I've played so far. There are JRPGs from the 1990s with cleaner and more professional text translations than in this game.

Found the apologist!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Since I got fucked over as a pre-order backer rather than a Kickstarter backer, I'm going to wait until this shit is bargain bin before buying it.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game is currently 44th best seller on Steam, less than a day after release. In before bankruptcy. :negative:

Well, the original game and the first expansion must have sold pretty well, would they otherwise have bothered to even release the directors cut?

Releasing one day before WL2 may indeed have been unfortunate though. I also wonder how many people probably got the DC for free that already had the first version. Perhaps most people who would be interested in these kind of RPGs already owned it?

Oh dear, I hope they do well..

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Nah, you sperg out over other things as well, which must mean I'm an apologist to several billion things by your logic. Keep on being a hipster faggot though.

One rather mild criticism and an emote isn't "sperging out." What actually happened is that I said something you don't like, and it rustled your jimmies as per usual. Calling people autists, spergs, hipsters, retards, or what-have-you at the drop of a hat whenever your fragile personal opinions are challenged or someone posts something you disagree with is shitposting, plain and simple. While shitposting is aggravating, it's not clever and/or trolling.

To further expand on my point, this is the Director's Cut of a preexisting expansion. If it were brand-new, I'd give them a pass, but they've had months to clean up the game's text and failed to do so. They've missed some typos that should have been caught even at a cursory glance. While not a gamebreaker by any means, it is annoying.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Game is currently 44th best seller on Steam, less than a day after release. In before bankruptcy. :negative:

Well, the original game and the first expansion must have sold pretty well, would they otherwise have bothered to even release the directors cut?

Releasing one day before WL2 may indeed have been unfortunate though. I also wonder how many people probably got the DC for free that already had the first version. Perhaps most people who would be interested in these kind of RPGs already owned it?

Yeah, I really hope they do alright. I'd like them to make another DLC campaign in the vein of Dragonfall.

dryan

Arcane

You should buy it. DMS is pretty good, even though not as good as DF. DMS has kind of a noir investigation vibe. I thought the writing was solid.

Gord

Arcane

Yeah, I really hope they do alright. I'd like them to make another DLC campaign in the vein of Dragonfall.

I doubt they would have bothered with the DC if it hadn't sold enough already. It's very cool and bro of them to do give it for free to people who already own it and I somehow doubt that the main driving force was the hope for massively increased sales.

Nevertheless one can't help but think that they have made some bad decisions with their marketing and timing.

Anyway, I do hope for some more SR campaigns from them. Would definitely contribute to a future kickstarter, if that's what they will do.

Zetor

Arcane
I think part of the drive behind the DC was to have a polished version to release for tablets (though the new UI is a bit less tablet-friendly) -- it's the market they're most familiar with, after all.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I was really enjoying this until i found out they implemented new bugs.
My character lost spent karma points due to a save bug and now i have to restart a mission because eiger cant use the escape waypoint.

I thought this version was suposed to be the most ironed out, and yet i don't recall having these issues with dms :(

Edit: I think the quest Settling debts is bugged. I advise you to check your stats once you start the mission.
If they are lower than what they used to be, better to rewind and avoid it completely.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Downloading. I'm glad to wait patiently and have a good, standalone expansion to play. Wasteland 2 can wait.

Yeah, sea mentioned in the Wasteland 2 thread that inXile still have some last-minute bugfixes they weren't able to implement in the release version on time for whatever reason. (The reason is most probably Steam's approval process.) Might as well play Dragonfall in the meantime.

I take back what I said about the game's grammar by the way, at least partially... more than a few of the skill/attribute/spell/item descriptions contain a sloppy typo or two, but the dialogue text in the actual game (of which there is plenty) is quite well polished. I'm not a big fan of their use of incomplete sentences, beginning sentences with conjunctions, and so on as a presumably "stylistic" choice, but c'est la vie.

The story and dialog are quite good, although despite the myriad of choices unlocked by etiquettes, attributes, skills, and races, there's not a whole lot of genuine C&C. Most dialog choices are simply the illusion of choice with cosmetically-altered responses, and you're essentially exhausting all the options until the next mission is over and everyone gets more dialog after the latest mission. The outcome is often the same, though there are exceptions. Still, there are nice touches, like
learning from an old email left for you by a recently-dead teammate that you should stand up to a certain fellow shadowrunner and not try to flatter them, which pays off, even if only cosmetically, quite a while later if you indeed stand up to that person.

Environmental interaction still seems pretty flat, with everything interactable being easy to see and essentially a hotspot to either grab an item or open a dialog to do something somewhat engaging (enter a number into a keypad, etc.), but I can tell they've done their best to spice it up and mix things up as best as possible. You can do anything from smashing through a wall, to operating a terminal, to rummaging through a drawer. Still, it's nothing like moments in Divinity: Original Sin where you might, for example, notice a tiny box hidden in the grass next to a gravestone with no aid from the UI, use Telekinesis to bring the box to your character, open the box, take out a nice enchanted necklace, then pick up the box too and use it for extra storage, or even set it down as a permanent addition to your base. Or you could smash the box, or burn it, and pick up the necklace that way. Ultima 7 and D:OS have kickass environmental fiddling, and Shadowrun Returns is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

In Dragonfall, and SRR in general, you can pretty much paint-by-numbers your way through exploring the area and checking the hotspots in each mission until you've exhausted everything. Still, they seem to have done the best they can with Dragonfall and it does feel more explore-y and interact-y than the original SRR campaign.

Actually, if this game (Dragonfall) were truly adventure game-like/investigation-like in the manner of Quest for Glory or other adventure games, in which you have to interact with the environment and use items extensively and in unobvious ways to solve difficult puzzles, It would be a frontrunner for Game of the Century with me.

Just about everything in Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall (other than art and sound, which are superb), from itemization and handling equipment, to combat, to story and dialogue, to environmental interaction, to progressing your teammates, to C&C, is a "three-quarters of the way there" affair in my view. All of the elements are significantly better than just adequate, but none of them are excellent. This is a marked difference from cRPGs in the 1990s, where half the shit in your average good cRPG was total shit but the other half was amazing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
While I somewhat agree, it is still 1000% better than ANYTHING BioWare/Bethesda/CD Project have done.

It is like HBS discovered cRPG mechanics, and continue to work and include them. They are no where near as good as say what Obsidian does crpg mechanics wise, but at least they are trying. And if they continue this trend, hell yes. From a tablet company that makes (basically) casual action games, these are some good steps forward. Just please HBS, keep going forward AND GIVE US A NEW CAMPAIGN LIKE THIS.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"While I somewhat agree, it is still 1000% better than ANYTHING BioWare"

No.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
so did they implement usage outside of bioware fake c&c for the two or so previously unused etiquettes?
"While I somewhat agree, it is still 1000% better than ANYTHING BioWare"

No.
yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom