Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
If 3x more work would be a good price for the game, it would cost 45$. But somehow the authors see some obstacle to selling it for 3x more work where they live.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed, will have to once again leech a KS copy off of one of you big spends who put in $500+

ColCol

Arcane
Who the fuck has 500 to spend on bullshit? (not that this game looks bad).

Renevent

Cipher
Missed the KS, but game looks awesome. Def will be picking it up when it releases.

ColCol

Arcane
Metro's begging has escaped the beg thread, time to put him down. A mercy killing.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Very useful character sheet guide listing abilities, roles and recommanded or operational ranks.It's a special PAX, but I want it to be physically or digitally included to the game when it will come out

f-Darkest_Dungeon_54018f4e0017658d.jpg

The Plague Doctor (Ranks: OOOO Role: Damage/Poison)
A doctor, researcher and alchemist who prefers to hang back, eating away at her foes with damage-over-time abilities like toxic clouds & plague-filled grenades. At camp, she makes use of experimental remedies and risky healing practices.

The Occultist (Ranks: OOOO Role: Support/Healing)
A lifetime of scholarly inquest into ancient and forbidden lore has opened the Occultist's mind to the powers of the void. Debilitatiing curses, and maddingly impossible support skills are his specialty. At rest, he will commune with dark forces in an attempt to strengthen himself and the party.

The Highwayman (Ranks: OOOO Role: Damage/Versatile)
A rogue, a thug and a thief, the Highwayman has honed his skills with dirk and flintlock to devastating effect. Whether at range or in melee, he is equally effective at dispatching his foes. Off-color jokes and cynical preparedness characterise his time around the campfire.

The Hellion (Ranks: OOOO Role: Damage/Bleeding)
Wild, unpredictable, and utterly ruthless, the Hellion thrills to the spilling of blood! Her massive glaive affords her impressive reach in combat, while its razor sharp edge leaves lasting wounds on enemies. At camp, she mutters blasphemies and sharpens her weapon...eager to put it to use.

The Grave Robber (Ranks: OOOO Role: Damage/Mobility)
The Grave Robber is a nimble combatant, moving back and forth through the ranks with ease. If her throwing daggers aren't getting the job done, she'll switch to her pickaxe! She is restless, and prefers to wander while the party camps, always on the lookout for trinkets and baubles.

The Bounty Hunter (Ranks: OOOO Role: Damage/Control)
A brutally efficient single-target executioner, the Bounty Hunter can also jumble and enemy group using his grappling hook, and powerful uppercut. He is methodical and prepared, preferring to use the camping phase to plan takedowns, and increase his combat effectiveness.

The Crusader (Ranks: OOOO Role: Defense/Damage)
Battle-hardened and stalwart, the Crusader has held the front lines in a hundred holy wars. His plate armor affords him peerless protection while he smites the blasphemous hordes that assail him. Righteousness and conviction inspire compelling speeches around the campfire.

The Vestal (Ranks: OOOO Role: Healing/Damage)
The warrior nun channels her zeal for battle into healing abilities, holy judgements and dazzling explosions of light. A strong backbone to any party, the Vestal will pray and encourage others when the opportunity to rest presents itself.

explaining the Ranking system:

As you can have four heroes in your party, there are four specific positions each hero can take and also four specific positions in the enemy party a hero can target.

Each ability has a rank (or ranks) from which it can be executed and another designating what rank (or ranks) in the enemy party it can target.

So for example, an ability with the following ranks OOOO and OOOO, would mean that the hero can use it from any one of the two positions closest to the enemy (i.e. the two positions to the right as your party is facing that direction), while be allowed to target any one of the two closest enemies (i.e. the two positions to the left as the enemy party is facing that direction). The left set of four dots representing your own party and the right set of four dots representing the enemy party...and the highlighted dots representing the available ranks in both sets.

In addition, for some abilities the dots representing the ranks of the enemy party that you may target could also be connected, like this: O-OOO which means that this particular ability will target both the closest and the second closest target in the enemy party at the same time.

In the case of these character reference sheets, I assume the ranks shown on it are the preferred, or perhaps even required ones, for that specific hero.

sadly, it doesn't tell about some missing ones like the "hound master", the "jester", the "leper", the "arbalest" and the "man at arm". I whish they will have their own character sheet too

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of all the kickstarters I have backed this was by far the riskiest (unknown developer, puny budget and didn't get many goals) but so far it is looking so nice. Too bad there where no physical copy or collector options since a box designed with that art style and direction would have been awesome but loving what I see so far

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I am glad I backed this.

I have been fairly happy with the games I have backed on Kickstarter. FTL was the first one, and that was totally worth the $10.

I just finally recently installed The Banner Saga, which I also backed on Kickstarter, and I found it really enjoyable... I haven't quite finished it yet, as I got sidetracked by Blackguards which I just bought on sale... but The Banner Saga was totally worth backing... I will finish it once I finish Blackguards...

It will be interesting to see if I will be as pleased with Shadowrun Returns (I backed it but have yet to play it), Wasteland 2, Dead State, Project Eternity (this was probably a mistake), Barkley 2 (not sure what I was thinking), Torment, Starcrawlers, and Lords Of Xulima.

I would have thought Wasteland 2 or Dead State would be the games I was most excited about, but really I think it is Darkest Dungeon.... I have watched a bunch of Darkest Dungeon videos, and kind of regret not doing an early access Kickstarter level for it.

Wasteland 2, Dead State, Project Eternity, and Torment are all way too ambitious. What they are trying to do is probably impossible with a Kickstarter budget.

Games like FTL, The Banner Saga, and Darkest Dungeon can easily deliver what they promise with a Kickstarter budget. None of those games tried to bight off more than they could chew.

Anyway, long story short, I am excited for this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom