Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Kanedias

Savant
i got invaded by oroboro (while he was on stream)

i broke 4 of his gowers rings, then killed him

i went on his twitch and he called me a monstrosity

the next 5 fights he backstabs someone while they're rolling

i just don't get this stupid fucking "community"

watch my scrublord ass take him out 14:30 into this video http://www.twitch.tv/brandon505/b/562636908

I didn't know he used stone ring, guess that's why he kept stunning me. when he says "what are you doing idiot" I was messaging someone on steam, but eh

revenge for that numb turtle shit he pulled on me

:thumbsup: That was great. I also love how instead of rolling away from the 2h r1 spam, he constantly kept rolling to your side, which gets him hit every time. He did it time and time again while complaining about the sword, haha.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its tiresome and boring, it adds new nice items but as the dlc scales to the soul level , everything 2 shot me and boss are impossible to do, one roll missed and its over. Fine with that but they are also HP bloated so its just tedious. Been stuck trying to do fume knight since hours , with 3 idols /4 destroyed . The dlc has new pyromancy spells and that majestic greatsword could scale well with fire infusion, however guess what ? Boss are super magic, fire ,dark, immune, wich left only to respec back to lightning melee (spells are worthless now).2 chalice wasted , i am really not having fun anymore .
I tried to join as phantom to see what i was doing wrong, well the others are doing even worse... host being shot down withing a few min each time.Also gave up on smelter demon , again fed up of crossing everything again to just get one shotted if i miss a roll.
Should never have purchased season pass.

Murk

Arcane
I'd say DLC 2 is fine, very gamey but still fun. Better than main game (overall).

Ok childins, gather around, so that I may tell you the tale of how my dick is so big that you are all simultaneously sitting on it, right now. I believe you call it 'urf" or something.

I am blue invading in DLC as a filthy murderclown + minotaur head. I get sent to the Alonne memory where there is host (lewellyn shit + blacknight gs and blossom shield) and white (smelter hammer and some shield) and sunbro (two katanas). Sunbro comes out and gives me the bow, and I figure we'll 1v1. As I'm fighting him I get him to about 3/4ths health and the filthy white attacks. Misses, and I turn to him. Sunbro, being the good man he is, steps aside and let's me 1v1 the white phantom. I kill white and then the host attacks. I get host down to almost no HP and he runs to starting room of memory to heal. Sunbro shrugs, and we resume our honoru duel (I am about 80% hp and sunrbo hasn't healed yet). We fight, sunrbo gets me to half health but I kill him. I heal and go for host. Host has summoned the same filthy white again. The two whole up in starting room spamming gestures, arrows, and periodically trying to attack me. I figure, fuggit, yolo, and run in to kill the white (host keeps healing with estus, too fast to catch around the corners). The white, luckily, swaps to some claw and the malformed claw to fight me -- I kill him with whipsword while the host takes about half my health off. Once White is gone, I turn my attention to host and get him to almost death -- he runs behind a stone altar thing in the summoning room and chugs 3. I get him to below half and he starts doing the same thing but a CSS catches him out of animation and I kill him with a running attack.

4 people dead.

suuukkkkkiiiitttttt

... now if only my stupid blue rank went up by 4 so I can stop ruining people's days (and getting my ass rekt by these fucking ornstein spear using bastards)

The old iron crown saved my ass in this fight. The spell regen takes 2 minutes and it gives you return castings per scroll. without it I wouldn't have had the great heal I needed to get back in that last yolo charge. Really useful for invaders since you can't use herbs. I swapped to it when I realized I'm gonna have to keep healing to deal with them.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yo bros!

I killed the Fume Knight and got the crown!

Where do I go next? (That's the only boss I've encountered).

Murk

Arcane
I am now max rank in all covenants, today I managed to finish the blue sentinels... and I just want to say, thank you... to all the chuggers, gankers, parry-spammers, laggers, npc-summoners, cheaters, lag switches, lame ass passive aggressive complainers, alt+f4ers, and a big wet sloppy kiss of a thank you to the gaping pussies who always run for the boss fog. You are all just amazing people, and I'm so glad I never have to do this stupid fucking blue orb invasion shit ever again.

in b4 from makes the blue arena open like the BOB arena, making my orb spamming a waste of time and energy

I guess I can start grinding for a fucking ring of thorns + 2 now. Ew.

Yo bros!

I killed the Fume Knight and got the crown!

Where do I go next? (That's the only boss I've encountered).

As LivingOne said there's the Samurai armor (you get to it by taking an elevator up to the hallway that has the dispelling ring and the 4 other smelter wedges.

There's also the 'challenge' route with the super special and not at all rehashed boss that's available by taking the elevator's all the way down in the main circular chamber (from bonfire 3 take the elevator down, then in that same circular room take the other elevator down as well).

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
unless you're quoting/paraphrasing a comment from that thread, the actual OP explicitly states that Smelly Blue is a reskin, but the other bosses from the DLCs aren't, which is true

BGMD

Learned
Smelter 2.0 could've been really cool if he actually wielded that fucking Smelter hammer (with that spin an all), I doubt many would complain in that case. This is just lazy c/p with few timing delay tweaks.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
unless you're quoting/paraphrasing a comment from that thread, the actual OP explicitly states that Smelly Blue is a reskin, but the other bosses from the DLCs aren't, which is true

The comments are the best part because that's where you do find people who claim that Blue Smelter isn't a reskin like the guy I quoted.

"I don't understand why the smelter is bad to be included again? He is an awesome boss and integral to the Old Iron King's demise so idk why everyone is complaining. I got chills when I saw the new and improved smelter and thought oh fuck he's back, not how lazy the developers are"

praetor

Arcane
that is indeed idiotic. he's a shitty reskin. i never got the "OMG he so hard" "hype" around him. moveset wise he's barely better than the Iron Golem, and like the IG the arena is more dangerous than he is (fuck that stuck in the wall glitch). slow, predictable, easy to punish and heal. i cooped there a lot in the early days, and i'd say 80% (probably more) hosts died because they kept charging into his AoE again and again. he's "hard" because people are stupid (and he's entirely uninteresting)

Kanedias

Savant
The new pyromancies are nice. I even got good use out of Dance of Fire. My current thoughts:

Fire Snake: The most useful new pyromancy, but nowhere near as OP as people say. Good tracking at medium/long range which tends to get people when they roll to the sides or backwards. The easiest way to counter it is to roll through it, and it's what people will do once they learn how to deal with the spell. It doesn't have a lingering hitbox and it doesn't even drop lingering fire like Forbidden Sun, the hitbox travels at the end of Fire Snake so once you roll through it, you take no damage from the other flames. The spell has some recovery to it that makes you able to roll backstab them if they are close enough when they cast this thing. For this reason I prefer to use it from medium to long range, you have to make sure they won't get in BS distance of you during the recovery animation.

Dance of Fire
: People were saying this sucks, but I don't agree. It's very good for combos and manipulating where the enemy will roll. Could be useful for making them roll away and getting hit by some fireball or Fire Snake, but the best is Dance of Fire + Great Combustion/Fire Whip. When they are somewhat close and you cast Dance of Fire, they roll into you and get hit by the short range pyros. The weird way this pyromancy travels can get some people hit or throw off their roll timing, too, and it does high damage. It's not a very reliable spell, but it's also quite risk free as it's casted very fast.

Outcry: A Firestorm variant that covers a larger area with a lot of fire pillars. Unlike Firestorm spells, which have a long recovery while channeling them, this one has quite low recovery offset by a long cast time. It's the least useful one in normal combat, but it's great on wake up. If you start casting this as soon as you are done with a critical hit, there is a very high chance they will get hit by a pillar, a much higher chance than with other Firestorm variants. Backstab fishers and people who are good at parrying are going to love this.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Examine that samurai armour on the top floor of a tower(not sure if you need the ashen mist too or not).

As LivingOne said there's the Samurai armor (you get to it by taking an elevator up to the hallway that has the dispelling ring and the 4 other smelter wedges.

There's also the 'challenge' route with the super special and not at all rehashed boss that's available by taking the elevator's all the way down in the main circular chamber (from bonfire 3 take the elevator down, then in that same circular room take the other elevator down as well).

:brodex:

I've checked the hallway with wedged, but didn't notice any armor... I'll check once again.

BTW, the DLC locations seem a lot smaller comparing to Sunken Stuff DLC... or they are just easier?

Murk

Arcane
When the small elevator takes you up, look both ways -- one of them leads to the 2 story hallway where the dispelling ring +1 is and one of them has a locked door (metal fence like door).

Stonewolf

Augur
That Alonne katana seems to be a piece of shit to be honest. Ultra slow, lower damage than CB, I personally don't like the moveset at all, and on top of that it has 20 durability. If you want long katana Washing pole is way better.

Murk

Arcane
I like most of the stuff around it but it is damn near pointless to use because of the 20 durability. It's more balanced than the other katanas and I can appreciate it. It's 2h moveset has pretty good range and some very large swings that hit quite a bit around you. Most katanas are just outright silly with their ridiculous range + 150 counter bs. Against a 'smart' katana user I've only been able to win by two real methods -- out counter damage them with a faster weapon or play their stupid backstep-running poke game. I absolutely hate fighting them as much as I hate fighting that fucking ornstein spear. Truly, the weapons of scumbags.

Mortmal

Arcane
The new pyromancies are nice. I even got good use out of Dance of Fire. My current thoughts:

Fire Snake: The most useful new pyromancy, but nowhere near as OP as people say. Good tracking at medium/long range which tends to get people when they roll to the sides or backwards. The easiest way to counter it is to roll through it, and it's what people will do once they learn how to deal with the spell. It doesn't have a lingering hitbox and it doesn't even drop lingering fire like Forbidden Sun, the hitbox travels at the end of Fire Snake so once you roll through it, you take no damage from the other flames. The spell has some recovery to it that makes you able to roll backstab them if they are close enough when they cast this thing. For this reason I prefer to use it from medium to long range, you have to make sure they won't get in BS distance of you during the recovery animation.

Dance of Fire
: People were saying this sucks, but I don't agree. It's very good for combos and manipulating where the enemy will roll. Could be useful for making them roll away and getting hit by some fireball or Fire Snake, but the best is Dance of Fire + Great Combustion/Fire Whip. When they are somewhat close and you cast Dance of Fire, they roll into you and get hit by the short range pyros. The weird way this pyromancy travels can get some people hit or throw off their roll timing, too, and it does high damage. It's not a very reliable spell, but it's also quite risk free as it's casted very fast.

Outcry: A Firestorm variant that covers a larger area with a lot of fire pillars. Unlike Firestorm spells, which have a long recovery while channeling them, this one has quite low recovery offset by a long cast time. It's the least useful one in normal combat, but it's great on wake up. If you start casting this as soon as you are done with a critical hit, there is a very high chance they will get hit by a pillar, a much higher chance than with other Firestorm variants. Backstab fishers and people who are good at parrying are going to love this.

Outcry is especially good when people are hiding behind walls and pillars, this one got me some kills. Now dance of fire i am not managing anything with it, must be very situational.

Stonewolf

Augur
Backstep spamming is such faggot shit. Most overpowered garbage in the game.

I'm not pvping too much but how does that even work, the guy just keeps backstepping and doing the lunge attack with katana? Thats asking for a parry, no?

Murk

Arcane
I'm not pvping too much but how does that even work, the guy just keeps backstepping and doing the lunge attack with katana? Thats asking for a parry, no?

You backstep a lot and delay the lunge attack; the other thing is that if you try to react-parry to it you'll get hit because the attack is faster than the parry. It's main issue is that it his ridiculous range, and if they catch you on a counter the katana does 50% more damage just because f u. You can also chain the poke into r1 spam. You ever get hit with a katana on a counter? Each hit is like 30% of your hp. It's ridiculous.

Murk

Arcane
So, resident MLG pro claims that ripostes do more damage in NG+ than in NG and has this video for evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7upenBH6gA&feature=youtu.be

I call BS and think it's just that randumb damage decrease that UndetectedButthurt and I have noticed over and over, where for some reason backstabs and ripostes randomly miss one of the 3 ticks of damage they do resulting in roughly 50% less damage (or 33% depending on how you look at it).

it makes no fucking sense for NG+ to just add extra riposte damage.

edit: someone else claims they also tested and that FPS is one reason for the lack of tick damage and NG is another, in that NG is always 2 ticks and never 3

I can't say I would put it past the current state of "design + coding" in ds 2 to have such a silly thing in NG for nubs, but at the same time it just sounds so goddamn silly that I"m on the fence about it

also, all you cheecky ng pvp nubs can keep pretending u got gud but u aint shit lol

2nd edit: watching people play pve for the first time is absolutely infuriating. I don't mean first timers at the game, but like when speed runners play the dlc for the first time. how the fuck you not gonna check for drops from the ashen idol when the first you dealt with dropped a soul shard right in front of your goddamn face?

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
2nd edit: watching people play pve for the first time is absolutely infuriating. I don't mean first timers at the game, but like when speed runners play the dlc for the first time. how the fuck you not gonna check for drops from the ashen idol when the first you dealt with dropped a soul shard right in front of your goddamn face?
Here's a Demon's Souls Let's Play. Coop with a girl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZw_qVQblI&list=PL2A7e3GEY_7tlRO_1My6lhl1i5zCheXNg

Guy has Dark Souls 2 videos, so I know he's played through that but he's cooping with a girl and getting his ass kicked. Just so terrible. It's because they spam attacks and waste all their stamina, but it's still pretty incredible. Not sure how he made it through Dark Souls 2. Don't know if he played and beat Dark Souls 1 at all.

I forgot how dark everything in Demon's Souls was. You could barely see in front of you in dark rooms and even world 2. Not just Larian. They do make good comments about Demon's Souls. How they like the atmosphere and how they are scared because everything is so dark and they can't see anything. When mobs surprise them in dark rooms they freak out. Good stuff.

praetor

Arcane
So, resident MLG pro claims that ripostes do more damage in NG+ than in NG and has this video for evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7upenBH6gA&feature=youtu.be

I call BS and think it's just that randumb damage decrease that UndetectedButthurt and I have noticed over and over, where for some reason backstabs and ripostes randomly miss one of the 3 ticks of damage they do resulting in roughly 50% less damage (or 33% depending on how you look at it).

it makes no fucking sense for NG+ to just add extra riposte damage.

edit: someone else claims they also tested and that FPS is one reason for the lack of tick damage and NG is another, in that NG is always 2 ticks and never 3

I can't say I would put it past the current state of "design + coding" in ds 2 to have such a silly thing in NG for nubs, but at the same time it just sounds so goddamn silly that I"m on the fence about it

also, all you cheecky ng pvp nubs can keep pretending u got gud but u aint shit lol

it's not only that... but this

so yeah (sorry for 4chan hotlinking), NG+ is 50% better than NG, NG++ is double NG, NG+++ is again NG levels. i remember how i called "team b" coders "amateur hour" stuff. after this, it's not enough 'cause that's a compliment.

btw, someone on gfags analyzed with CE how the game handles upgrades and scaling and shit... get this

The game is coded exceptionally poorly.

For some reason, the damage values for weapons at each upgrade level are stored in 11 slot arrays (yes, even weapons that only go up to +5 normally). The extra damage is not calculated from some formula like base damage * upgrade level * 0.1 or 0.3., despite the overwhelming majority of weapons increasing linearly in just that way. Instead they freaking put it in arrays, leaving it vulnerable to potentially game-breaking errors when the game tries access an out of bounds slot... like the +14 weapon mess.

The majority of the blame for that particular issue still lies with the hacker who generated it, but From is partially responsible for coding the game without checks to ensure variables are within sane bounds... on top of having an apparent phobia of the concept of "derived attributes".

this is beyond retarded. ohwow.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom