Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend good game for my woman

Black_Willow

Arcane
I second Curse of Monkey Island and Deponia.
You can also try Journey of a Roach or the Journey Down Chapter 1. Both are pretty short, but they're also cheap (and you can preorder the second chapter of Journey Down for $6, which will also give you the first chapter today) and very fun. I know since I played them with my fiancee and we had loads of fun.

Eyeball

Arcane
Psychonauts. Cute, witty, original, genuinely funny and a platformer/adventure hybrid.

If she dislikes it, dump her immediately, throw her shit onto the street and fuck her sister.

Wizfall

Cipher
The Runaway trilogy, very nice graphics, entertaining and a light tone too.
A few very bad made puzzles but very enjoyable to play even consulting an online walkthrought when needed.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Not Broken Age, because it is too boring.
Unless she thinks it's boring: Broken Age. Seriously. It's tailor-made for this kind of audience.

I don't want to ruin her taste from the beginning. It's shitty game, I've played it, don't wanna see that crap again.
During the weekend I will show her some of proposed games, big thanks for all responses! You're good guys, I love you:love:

iqzulk

Augur
Not an adventure game, but I think she might quite enjoy Knytt Underground. It's lighthearted exploration-based puzzle-platformer with entertaining writing, very unusual setting (little creatures from fairy-tales living underground after humanity was eradicated in a nuclear war, and trying - with absolutely ridiculous results - to make sense of the various artifacts left of said humanity), colorful, immense (2000+ screens) and extremely varied ingame world choke-full of little quests and secrets and whatnot, fun, responsive and not very demanding platforming. The downsides are: 1) quite a bit of flowery wording ("fuck", "asshole", etc. - this IS a fairy-tale, but it is not for children neither thematically-wise, nor content-wise) in some of the conversations, which she might not appreciate; 2) 1st and 2nd chapters are linear and boring, she'll probably need to just force herself through them, it won't take longer than ~1.5-2 hours, the 3rd part (and the secrets) is there the real game REALLY is, with all of its 2000 screens and 10+ hours of gameplay, see that she gets there; 3) the ending absolutely sucks in a "pretentious artfag hipster" sort of way (sadly; all the other writing is brilliant, although some people might perceive the free usage of "flowery language" as juvenile).

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Broken Sword springs to mind, along with TLJ, although that's apparently "too wordy" now. Adventure gaming seems to be a genre where some actually good games are still accessible to girls playing casually.

TLE isn't hard once you've finished it. :smug:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TLE is not actually so very hard except for the 'optimal' ending and the bomb obstacle. You might even get one of the suboptimal good ones and think that was it.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't see how one could think that. Isn't the Vienna ending still on the second disc? It's halfway into the journey, and Rebecca's diary describes you as "looking rather forlorn". Although, knowing the "true" ending, it's probably for the better.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was a DVD release (not to mention GOG; steam...).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why go to Curse of Monkey Island and skip the first two? Start with Secret and LeChuck's Revenge. Also Space Quest 1 remake then Space Quest 4. And yeah, if she doesn't like those then she doesn't like actual adventure games.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Hmmm, she just basically said: "Fuck your games, I've got no time for this crap". I luv her <3

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'd greatly recommend Telltale's Sam and Max. Puzzles are pretty simplistic, it's an adventures of 2 fuzzy animals and it's somewhat funny, which means it's nothing special but it should fit more simple-minded individuals (like your girlfriend) perfectly.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I'd greatly recommend LucasArts' Sam and Max. Puzzles are pretty interesting, it's a beautiful adventure game with 2 fuzzy animals and it's very funny, which means it's pretty special. Stay well away from Telltale's abominations.

Fixed

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
Not Broken Age, because it is too boring.
Unless she thinks it's boring: Broken Age. Seriously. It's tailor-made for this kind of audience.

I don't want to ruin her taste from the beginning. It's shitty game, I've played it, don't wanna see that crap again.
During the weekend I will show her some of proposed games, big thanks for all responses! You're good guys, I love you:love:
Hmmm, she just basically said: "Fuck your games, I've got no time for this crap". I luv her <3
Seeing as you're completely oblivious to the point of recommendations that's hardly a surprising outcome.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Broken Age is the only one worth trying at this point. Anything else will just speed up the dissolution of your relationship.

covr

Prophet
Patron
BA is an absolute nightmare of boredom. It should be killed with fire and quickly forgotten.

pippin

Chains of Satinav might be a good choice, it's not really hard and has gorgeous visuals (every new scenario will be your next desktop wallpaper). Plus, it has a sweet love story between an average dude and a cute fairy. The story gets a little bit dark/sad at the end, but as I said it's quite accesible for people without experience in adventure games.
Deponia could be ok as well, since it's colorful and funny, but the puzzles can be too complicated, although you can skip them if you don't care about that.

:Flash:

Arcane
If she doesn't want to play games, make her watch The Last Express movie.
Then she'll want to play more games like this and be disappointed for the rest of her gaming career.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom