Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
BTW, it turns out Heide Knight's Sword is amazing, especially upgraded. +4 so far and it cuts through enemies like butter.

For the start of the game I have found that the fire longsword you can find in the forest is also very good, has a better moveset than Heides too, IMO. :)

Stonewolf

Augur
1024x576.resizedimage

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
BTW, it turns out Heide Knight's Sword is amazing, especially upgraded. +4 so far and it cuts through enemies like butter.

For the start of the game I have found that the fire longsword you can find in the forest is also very good, has a better moveset than Heides too, IMO. :)

I used both for dualwielding for a long time. They were devastating till DLC mobs.

Murk

Arcane
Finished DLC, thoughts more fleshed out below.

Smelty challenge route. Dumb, and it seems they realized it so they give you an easy out with the alt path to take. Also makes for a better co-op as one person can go through there while the other runs below if for whatever reason the host is scared to run for the gate. Smelty does pure magic damage when he goes all blue. I stacked it and just face tanked everything. Sukmadik.

Alonne. Cross between lost sinner and ornstein -- fine fight, GREAT arena and soundtrack and he switches up his moves alooooot. Adds extra attacks, becomes more aggressive, etc. Like others said, the guantlet up to him is the biggest waste of time ever. Absolute horse-shit and whoever made it should be forced to stare point blank at a video of someone running through lost izalith at max brightness. Would have been 10000x better if instead of a stupid guantlet you get some neat dialog about what happened (like a voice over from above, or something) and maybe see some minor day-to-day mundane shit happening in the keep... it is supposed to be a memory, right? Then boss fight.

Fume was more fun, but this may be because it was less of a pain in the dick to get to Fume. Still, cool boss with multiple stages and varied attacks. Also, that AOE is very trolly but neat.

I'm told he buffs immediately if you go in with full velstadt set? Or that was a doctored video to make it look like that.

Overall, I don't like the visual design of the place much and I thought it was much more gamey. As in, each set of corridors or areas was basically a challenge section you go through. That's fine, nothing wrong with that, but it does suffer for atmosphere and internal-consistency of the setting. I did like that Nadalia is a constant hazard you fight against all throughout instead of just one more slimey gross chick at the end.

Got most of the gear except for the 2 daggers and the bleed sword.

Giant hammer is beyond silly, but seems fun.

Everyone is Artorias.

Minotaur new meta.

Upon being told that the hollow mask is "behind an invisible wall while going up an elevator" I found it immediately. Curse stuff, so pointless now.

The armors are exactly what I thought -- shit upgrading but decent starting stats and fashion souls shit. Armor should have been like that form the start with things like havels.

The weapons also upgrade strangely -- instead of 30% per dragon bone or 10% per titanite they go in different increments. Not too happy that they keep changing the way the "system" works but whatever. Team b gonna b.

Kanedias

Savant
I have a dex/hex flynn build that is perfect for it and it has been doing awesome in PvP.

Speaking of this, what build are you running? I have a dex/hex katana fag currently in the making and I'm scratching my head at the balance between int/faith and the rest.

I am using this. The Sun Sword stands for the Fume Sword and the Target Shield stands for the Sanctum Shield, because the website doesn't have them listed yet (and these weight the same).

Feel free to switch Sacred Oath for some hexes. I just end up using my weapons all the time so I use SO, plus I already got the Great Resonant Soul-like spell that's casted from the crossbow.

I ended up going to SL 175 thanks to praetor.

praetor

Arcane
I ended up going to SL 175 thanks to praetor.

:D high-five! i'm also slowly switching up all my builds (except one scrublord :)) to 175. it just feels right. not too much, not too little, like the old 120 meta

btw, fuck sony. they fucked up the upload to the EU store, so now we idiot fucks who bought the season pass need to either pay again to get it, or wait for sony to get their lazy shit together and fix it :( definitely not buying a PS4... bye bye bloodborne

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Now I just killed Ruin Sentinels, and ragequit at Sinner's Rise sewers.
Heh, the first time I saw those mini Dagons they seemed ultra hard. Then I lured one in the elevator room and tried to hit it from a distance, which is doable but it will take long with a low level char. The fun was when it lunged toward me, landed on the elevator, started going up and after a while fell down from the platform, to its death. Elevator action, baby !

Both swords are pretty great and can be used with a huge variety of characters and you get them at the beginning of the game. You also get the dagger which does the best (or almost the best) backstabbing damage in the game and upgraded can one-shot-kill almost anything. So, you will probably use these weapons for a big part of the game from that point on and that's my biggest gripe with the game. It takes too long to get to weapon infusing, it takes too FUCKING long to find something equal or better in damage, and almost all of the special boss weapons SUCK. Twinkling titanite is rare and dragon bone shit is super rare, so... fuck. DS was much better in weapon upgrading and quality weapon variety, upgrading materials etc... even if the upgrading was a bit more convoluted.

dr. one

Augur
There was one part that I thought was cheap: That enemy horde near the beginning with a crap ton of ashen warriors and one of the large golems. I don't know if I just suck and missed some obvious way to clear some of the enemies beforehand, but that area felt really cheap, and you all know I normally don't mind when the game throws multiple enemies at you.
You can deal with the guy(s) above separately (shooting barrels that block the door leading to them) and you can push 4 barrel dudes down into the room to cause some havoc.
There are few other areas where the barrel guys (along with movable fire spewing minotaur heads) can be used to softening the opposition or blowing up a breakable wall.

Finished DLC, thoughts more fleshed out below.

I'm told he buffs immediately if you go in with full velstadt set? Or that was a doctored video to make it look like that.
Found another video of it here - spoiler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvhT1VZO1WM
Doctoring seems unlikely.

Also, apparently the additional red phantoms only appear from NG++ onwards (replayed the DLC on NG+ and none were present).

Murk

Arcane
UndetectedButthurt noticed a difference in red phantoms between NG+7 and NG+8 too. Probably first time I'm hearing of it (that ng+ cycles differ other than 1 and 2), but there is a red giant phantom in front of Fume knight that isn't present earlier.

Apparently mask of pharros gives fire defense boost making max fire resist easily attainable now, potentially without flash sweats. ancient dragon can suqmadik 2.0 -- gonna go farm me some bones n shit the way momma used to do.

minor boss strats

some mine, some not

Fume dude is best dodged to the right (your right, his left) as his big sword telegraphs much more than the other one. Also, a lot of his swings wont hit despite the animation looking like they will.

The AOE -- roll away from it, then when the orbs move, roll through it.

The slow swing thing is easily dodged if you roll into him and slightly to the left, easy chance to heal here as well. Stay away from his right hand when 'punishing' as he has a very quick slash from the straight sword where he raises it up and hits you very quickly -- the ugs has a similar one but it is slower and easier to dodge.

Alonne can be trapped behind the pillars in the walls and while some of his hits go through -- you can back up and use that to heal, buff, etc. The ones near the windows and the corner near the entrance are two obvious ones -- if he jumps back to lunge, you can easily roll behind a wall and he won't hit you. If you dodge to his right most of his shit misses you as well, but heads up -- his lunging attack with the slash is delayed sometimes.

If he stabs you he does a bunch of damage and it buffs his weapon for a while -- can use pillar strat to wait it our or get gud n kill him.

He also has a dark greatsword style beam attack. He has 2 lunges, one fast thrust and the other the delayed slash. Careful. As he gets to 25% health or so he starts to combo 3 hits and often combos a jump back and lunging poke into his 2 slash combo.

Figures he's a katana douche and spams the run attack all gaddamn day.

Rapier poke poke poke = win

Last edited:

dr. one

Augur
UndetectedButthurt noticed a difference in red phantoms between NG+7 and NG+8 too. Probably first time I'm hearing of it, but there is a red giant phantom in front of Fume knight that isn't present earlier.
That´s .. interesting :). Maybe they´re making up for this aspect in Sunken King which, AFAIK, doesn´t have anything new in + cycles.

In other news, the iron king crown restores some spell casts in about 2-3 minute intervals.

Murk

Arcane
What.

Seriously.

As in only specific spells get restored or x amount of casts of spells are restored? Gonna dick around with that later.

Fume UGS is also in guard mode during the special attack. Stack poise and spam L2 all day. I felt like one of those spear hollow soldiers. The guy was hitting me from behind too.

Murk

Arcane
As in only specific spells get restored or x amount of casts of spells are restored? Gonna dick around with that later.
X amount of casts. I think it´s a bit weaker than amber herbs.

Tried this out -- it seems to be based on a time interval. All spells are given +1 cast. Not sure what happens if you stack multiple scrolls tho -- i'll try that later.

Now I just killed Ruin Sentinels, and ragequit at Sinner's Rise sewers.
Heh, the first time I saw those mini Dagons they seemed ultra hard. Then I lured one in the elevator room and tried to hit it from a distance, which is doable but it will take long with a low level char. The fun was when it lunged toward me, landed on the elevator, started going up and after a while fell down from the platform, to its death. Elevator action, baby !

Well, I've noticed I have a "Greatshield" with 13 poise in my inventory and 30 str to wield it. Easy as pie with that.

Would've taken me some more time and effort with rolling alone, although I did 'git gud' with that after Pursuer.

Stonewolf

Augur
I am using this. The Sun Sword stands for the Fume Sword and the Target Shield stands for the Sanctum Shield, because the website doesn't have them listed yet (and these weight the same).

Feel free to switch Sacred Oath for some hexes. I just end up using my weapons all the time so I use SO, plus I already got the Great Resonant Soul-like spell that's casted from the crossbow.

Well, that was pretty much exactly what I was going for anyway stats-wise. I had no idea about that shield though, seems very useful.

And finally found a set that is not only fashion souls but it's also not bad.
LQFSJPR.jpg

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
i got invaded by oroboro (while he was on stream)

i broke 4 of his gowers rings, then killed him

i went on his twitch and he called me a monstrosity

the next 5 fights he backstabs someone while they're rolling

i just don't get this stupid fucking "community"

watch my scrublord ass take him out 14:30 into this video http://www.twitch.tv/brandon505/b/562636908

I didn't know he used stone ring, guess that's why he kept stunning me. when he says "what are you doing idiot" I was messaging someone on steam, but eh

revenge for that numb turtle shit he pulled on me

Last edited:
lol what a retard. all those ds2 community celebrities are fucking terrible. they either cant play for shit like SunlightBlade or are obnoxious faggots like Oroboro.

Murk

Arcane
That guy peeve is p bad at the game (not really, but for being so damn well known he is p bad) but seems to be a genuinely likeable guy. These other pvp superstars are often really obnoxious and/or annoying but peepee seems cool. Tho I have never played him, that I know of anyway.

I'm not gonna try to pretend the whipsword's tracking is fair, but the idea of 'fair and balanced' in this game is batshit silly. Also, I have absolutely no shame about jesters. Fuck backstabs.

Also, apparently Sir Alonne has an alt HONORU ending where he suicides (saw it in a video). Supposedly if you don't heal during the fight? NVM it's time-based. 3 minute limit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2eu1q1/special_dlc_boss_death_animation_tested_and/

Last edited:
Whoaaa the one time you do a failed backstab animation on him:

"OMG THE BACKSTAB FISHINZ I NEED MAH GOWERZ WITH THIS GUY"

Nevermind that every fight ends with him doing a roll backstab with bandit's knife.

Also, apparently attacking him while he spawns/buffs is DISHONOBURU and gives him a free pass at healing and being a dipshit without being called out. Cuz you know, invasions are fair and balanced duels. It's not like he ever gangbangs the host with 123123 mobs around.

Stonewolf

Augur
i got invaded by oroboro (while he was on stream)

i broke 4 of his gowers rings, then killed him

That guy is so cute when shocked that during the stream of killing sunday players he invaded someone competent and got destroyed. "How dare you fight back, I'm trying to stream here, idiot!".

Murk

Arcane
The alonne katana's buff damages people near you; it's the yoshimitsu move. I accidentally killed a guy while trying to break it to then hit him n break his gear. (he was afk)

praetor

Arcane
random lore ramblings:

btw, do they even check wtf they write on items? it's written on Alonne's armour he left at some point, yet not only do you kill him, but there's his armour and weapon at the top of Brume tower, from where OIK ruled. you could argue that's a rumour OIK spread, but then why have his armour and weapon on display for everyone to see? it could also be theorized that "killing" in a memory isn't actually fully killing, but more akin to "defeating and leaving at the brink of death, while stealing most of the essence (soul)", particularly with the whole "last giant is the only giant that looks like the giant lord, and has the same movement, and is enraged to the point of breaking his shackles when he sees you, heavily implying...". dunno. i'm tired of that "spacetime is convoluted" handwaving bullshit that's used to excuse all kinds of inconsistencies by fanboys. way too convenient

Grimlorn

Arcane
Just got done playing Dark Souls 2 for the first time recently. Played it offline. Thought it was better without all the messages telling you where every secret was.

I didn't like the story if you can say it had one. I thought the game sort of dragged on because there was nothing keeping you engaged in the game. When I got to Drangleic Castle, I was ready for the game to end. When I passed Shrine of Amana I went online to get some info on characters I had already met and accidently spoiled the end boss. I just wanted to see if I could get some info because I still had no idea what was going on. I still don't understand all of what happened or why it happened.

The throne bit seemed stupid. Why would you want to be the King of a kingdom that's decaying and empty. Just seems like there is nothing interesting about it.

It's obvious From prefers this minimalist approach because they have separate teams designing each area and don't have to worry about continuity between all the areas or what's happened in the past.

I just hope Dark Souls 3 lets us beat the curse, find a balance between dark and fire/light. I assume you can like night and day. They don't have to go full epic story, just do what Dark Souls did and add a little more to keep us interested and engaged in the game.

And I don't know how they can improve the combat, but it's getting somewhat boring to me. I thought dual wielding would be fun, but I got tired of roll L1, roll L1 L1, roll L1 etc, all game long. There's just no challenge and I don't like the idea of making it more actiony and a bunch of animation cancelling mobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom