Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

aris

Arcane
Patch 2.1 out. Anyone still playing?
Fucking finally! I've been waiting a long time for that. The game has improved a shit ton since the expansion.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I found a video of a dude getting paragon lvl 1k
It's like a complete melancholy thesis summarized into a single 5 minute video.

gets paragon 1k
what now?
runs in circles around the village for 2 minutes
goes back to grinding
mfw
MFW_I_finally_got_level_2_And_now_I_have_8e3e72.jpg

bonescraper

This day keeps on giving. I made some adjustments to my build and wham, gained 150k dps. Then i found a set amulet just lying on the ground (?). Now i can move from torment I to torment III.

Paragon 1000, fuck. I'm not even 100 yet.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reaper of Souls is fine in small doses; it cut on the never-ending-addiction-feeding-RMAH-economy crap, to offer a shorter, more condensed bit of multiplayer RPG fun. Despite the under-medicated armchair Blizz community still complaining, the character customization was much improved, to a point where it is in a decent spot for a hybrid-RPG. It continues to be a major focus of the game in 2.1, much more than it was in D3 vanilla.

Looks like hiring people is paying off, because god knows Blizzard needed some fresh talents in the house. The good old days are certainly a thing of the past, but there has to be a middle ground. Those past 7 years have been void of any real passion or substance on the gameplay side.

Gonna gather a bro or 2 on friday and roll a Season toon, probably hardcore. It should be fun for 2 or 3 weekends at least (or until we derp into vortex champ packs).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The problem is this game did nothing TL2 didn't before it aside from prettier graphics and voice overs. And by the time Derpablo 3 rolled out for $50+ you could have already bought TL2 on sale for $5.

As much as I tried to enjoy Torchlight 2, my wishful thinking on it flipped after trying to play it. They failed at programming, all those tiny areas separated by loading screens... no world continuity, no Diablo2 feel. Skills are even less intuitive than in Diablo3. Everything feels arbitrary. Combat feels worse than Diablo3. Graphics are quite bad, and nothing to do with polygon counts. Open Battle.net approach ensures there's no cheat protection whatsoever...

So many good ideas on paper, so much stuff preserved from Diablo2 "on paper", but the game itself is just... unwelcoming.

Skills were fine. Combat feels about the same. Graphics are fine. Cheat protection = who cares? Just play private games.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Torchlight never clicked for me.

Not sure what class I will be rolling.

It's one of these three

Crusader
Barbarian
Wizard

Hmmmmm

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does anybody actually find Crusader fun? I generally only like ranged builds anyway, but the Crusader felt particularly boring.

bonescraper

I do. For someone who prefers melee characters, it's pretty fun. Monk is the shit though.
Combat feels about the same.
Nah, not by a long shot. If there was anything vanilla Diablo 3 did good, it was combat and environmental destruction. It's really satisfying to land those atomic blows and watch monsters getting pulverized.

I never finished Torchlight 2. I don't like the art direction and the bland setting. Also, those classes just didn't click with me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem is this game did nothing TL2 didn't before it aside from prettier graphics and voice overs. And by the time Derpablo 3 rolled out for $50+ you could have already bought TL2 on sale for $5.

As much as I tried to enjoy Torchlight 2, my wishful thinking on it flipped after trying to play it. They failed at programming, all those tiny areas separated by loading screens... no world continuity, no Diablo2 feel. Skills are even less intuitive than in Diablo3. Everything feels arbitrary. Combat feels worse than Diablo3. Graphics are quite bad, and nothing to do with polygon counts. Open Battle.net approach ensures there's no cheat protection whatsoever...

So many good ideas on paper, so much stuff preserved from Diablo2 "on paper", but the game itself is just... unwelcoming.

Skills were fine. Combat feels about the same. Graphics are fine. Cheat protection = who cares? Just play private games.

I really, really wanted to enjoy Torchlight 2 but it's just... boring. I can't even say exactly what the problem is. It just feels like I'm eating plastic fruit instead of real ones.

Zeriel

Arcane
This day keeps on giving. I made some adjustments to my build and wham, gained 150k dps. Then i found a set amulet just lying on the ground (?). Now i can move from torment I to torment III.

Paragon 1000, fuck. I'm not even 100 yet.

You should be rolling in the new legendary gems if you aren't already. Regardless of your gear level, they represent a doubling or even more of your effective DPS.

Guess Blizzard is doing that ye olde "forced power creep" they love so much. Introduce new, harder content, then give everyone massively overpowered new things that bring them up to the level that they can start to do that content.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A coworker gave me his Diablo III Ultimate Evil ed for Xbox360 to try out. I spent 2-3 evenings with it and just completed Act IV. I haven't touched Act V/RoS yet.

I like mobility and I wanted a challenge. A brief glance at the various guides up at th emoment seems to indicate Wizard is the omgwtfbbq op, followed by witch doctor/barbarian/crusader in any order you like, followed by demon hunter and monk so far down the tier list half the people didn't even bother adding it. Demon Hunter on expert seemed to fit the bill. I wasn't allowed to increase it any further since I hadn't completed Act IV or hit lv60 on my blind run. The game was laughably easy, although to be fair I only played on "expert" so maybe it gets better. But any game that requires you to complete it to unlock a difficulty above banalshiteasy can go fuck itself.

Once Act iV was over I had died 0 times and used a grand total of 12 health potions. My coffers were overflowing with cashmoney, crafting materials, potions and gems. I ran a probably terribly inefficient build. From level 30 onwards it looked pretty much like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UcYSfi!bce!ZZbZaa
Main source of damage was rapid fire with the slow rune and the passive that did extra damage to slowed shit. I swapped strafe out with venegance a few times for passive damage while I spammed rapid fire. Either worked, really. Between rapid flire slow, caltrop slow and evasive fire/strafe/regular dodge shenanigans I could strafe all day, except for the one or two encounters I met teleport+waller minibosses.

The actual combat was 'k. it had good "kinesthetics" as Grunker would call it. Powers felt fun to use and enemies came in a steady stream. If only there had been more elites and enemies had moved faster it would be quite enjoyable. I only played DH to high levels, so I can't say for the other classes. Monk felt a bit meh (made it to 20). Controller and your base attack making you teleport to enemy made my dude backflip all over the place into dumb spots. Maybe it's better with mouse. Wizard made it to around level 15 before I got really tired of the voice actress. It seemed to be even easier than demon hunter though. If I get dragged into playing this in BRO-op I will probably try out crusader. All in all it seemed like every class got some decently entertaining abilities. (Although I miss the skill trees from earlier incarnations). Speaking of BRO-op, the Konsoletard version of D3 allows multiple players on the same screen a la gauntlet. It could be an ok beer&pretzles game I think.

The game fell flat in 3 areas though.

1: The maps. Aesthetics aside - I preferred the gothic feel of D1, but D3 is still better than D2's clusterfuck - the layouts are too linear. The more complex geometries of the individual map segments don't allow them to be put together in as many configurations as the previous games. While D1 managed relatively believable indoor architecture with rooms and corridors, everything in D3 is some zig-zag corridor of rooms with very little rhyme or reason in the layout. The variety of environments was nice though, so plusses for that. There was (I think) 3-4 different dungeon tilesets per act, including exteriors.

2: The monsters. Having the same monster recolored and renamed to save memory and disc space was acceptable when D1 came out. It's not 'k today. All the way to the end, I met the same recolored monsters from act 1 with new names but the same attack patterns. There were a few new additions per act, but the majority of your kills are rehashes from earlier.

3: The items. Oh boy, that's the big one. Diablo (and especially diablo 2) had some very good loot generation going on. Possibly some of the best randomly generated loot in any game. Diablo 3 goes full monty haul however and it hurts the in-game "economy" as it were. I haven't checked out the AH (no such thing on my chipped console). But from around level 10 onward, my Demon hunter did not even bother looking at the stats of magical equipment. There's a tooltip with ratings (damage, defense, other) rated from 3 red arrows down to 3 green arrows up whenever you pick up an item. Anything that was rare or legendary with damage boost got equipped, everything else got immediately marked as trash. There are 3 vendors in town, but I soon learned to ignore them entirely. The shit they sold was always worse than the rares that dropped every 2-3 minutes while murdering shit. And you get so much gold there's no reason to sell your loot either. All loot you aren't currently wearing goes directly to the blacksmith for salvage into crafting materials. The blacksmith can pump out laughably cheap rares as long as you feed him junk weapons. And he can pump them out at the level and type you like and keep pumping them out until you get the stats you want on them. 95% of the gear I used he made for me. I miss going over the new stuff the merchants had back in Tristram and having to decide if I wanted to spend gold. Or sinking excess lucre into the gambling vendor for unidentified items that may or may not turn out to be set items and legendaries.

So yeah. the game was not as bad as I had feared, but it turne dout to be decidedly average. And while the combat is decent (but too easy), the game misses all the things that I thought made Diablo 1 and 2 great.

bonescraper

Haha, fuck, i just cleared The Vault. Dat boss fight. That fat four tited bitch bleeds money and treasure goblins. And dat death animation :lol:

I got in completely broke, got out with 3 legendaries (from the boss) and... 50 million gold in cash. Also, a truckload of magic items and standard gems.

I got this BTW.

Xnf08iL.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bonescraper

You already said you don't like D3. Now you just sound immensely butthurt and uninformed.

Black

Arcane
Haha, fuck, i just cleared The Vault. Dat boss fight. That fat four tited bitch bleeds money and treasure goblins. And dat death animation :lol:

I got in completely broke, got out with 3 legendaries (from the boss) and... 50 million gold in cash. Also, a truckload of magic items and standard gems.

I got this BTW.

Xnf08iL.png
I got some good gem but no jewery I can put it in.

Zeriel

Arcane

I got this BTW.

Xnf08iL.png
I got some good gem but no jewery I can put it in.

Can always reroll to a socket on jewelry. I did that on rings, and it's more than worth it to turn excellent jewelry into mediocre jewelry in order to equip gems that constitute half your effective DPS.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Looks like the game is finally on the right track.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Who's up for a season group?

Farage, add me up, hoe: Gaylussac#1605. If you don't have the game, just buy it.

For anyone else who wants to play, I'm currently at PL 185, farming torment 4 (OP demon hunter loaded for bear build ftw)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom