Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lords of Xulima Released on Steam Early Access

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Lords of Xulima; Numantian Games

The isometric oldschool RPG with first person combat Lords of Xulima, which we have been following both here on the front page as well as on our forums, has been released on Steam Early Access today, accompanied by a new Kickstarter update.

Greetings!
This is a quick update to announce that finally Lords of Xulima is available on Steam as Early Access. The price is $16.99, as it is not yet the full game, which will eventually increase. You are invited to visit our Steam Store Page, as well as write reviews and leave comments in the discussion forum. Thank you to all that have already written awesome comments and reviews praising Lords of Xulima. You are the best!!

Added Steam Features!
We have implemented some of the Steam features such as Trading Cards. There is one card for every one of the Nine Xulnari, cool Badges and emoticons, and some backgrounds. There are also 13 new achievements and we will eventually be adding some more. By the way, there is one called, "The Lord of Xulima" which you get when you finish the game in Hardcore mode, (good luck guys...)

Next Goals!
Here is what we have in our list of tasks for the next big update:
  • Unlock the rest of regions: Rasmura, Devonia, Vilak, Varas Talak and the western part of Nagira.
  • Include the awesome talking artifact, "The Talisman of Golot". But be careful because it was created by the same God as the one who created the Talking Skulls in the Towers of Sorcery. If you have entered in one of those towers, you will know what I am speaking about...
  • MAC and Linux port, installer and Steam integration.

You know you want it. And in case you don't know it yet, wait for felipepepe's and my preview, which should hopefully be coming in the next few days. (Spoiler: the game's pretty good.)

himmy

Arcane
This game has real pretty 2D backgrounds and the general art direction is really good, occasionally favourably reminding me of HoMM IV. Why the fuck does the interface look so poor, then? And I don't mean just aesthetically, but it looks like it's hella clunky functionally, too.

I didn't follow the development closely, but please tell me that it is hardcore WIP and is something they will address during the EA, like Wasteland 2 did (to a certain extent).

jdinatale

Cipher
Doubt ill enjoy it very much with that walking speed, same problem that always plagued eschalon.

Again you dumb fuck, you can change the walk to a run. The developers even states in the general discussion thread that the speed was reduced to walk for the purpose of the trailer to show off the game's aesthetics better.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Doubt ill enjoy it very much with that walking speed, same problem that always plagued eschalon.

Again you dumb fuck, you can change the walk to a run. The developers even states in the general discussion thread that the speed was reduced to walk for the purpose of the trailer to show off the game's aesthetics better.

The only dumbfucks here are the devs that thought that showing a trailer where the party crawls through the map at that ridiculous speed would highlight the game's aesthetics.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Capslock puts you in a brisk run. The walking animation needs to come with the A&W Rootbeer music.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
does anybody know what the difficulty setting affects? there's no manual or readme and i can't find anything with google turning to shit recently.

does anybody know what the difficulty setting affects? there's no manual or readme and i can't find anything with google turning to shit recently.
I couldn't find anything really specific, either, beyond

In the game we have three difficulty modes:

REAL This is the perfect difficulty for all who want to find a challenge similar to what is found in classic RPGs. You have to build a good group, experiment to find the best tactics, etc.

CASUAL For today’s generation of gamers, who are more used to playing games in which the progression is smooth and only increase in difficulty at certain key points. Or, simply for those who have not enough time and want to progress faster in the adventure.

HARDCORE For people who have finished Real mode, perhaps they want to start the game with a new party in this mode that is about survival in Xulima. You can even die starving. This mode has a special Achievement in Steam. How many people can beat it?

The hardcore difficulty appears to (hopefully) be based on resource management rather than HP bloat, but starvation is the only specific example I've seen quoted in interviews and press releases.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
This would be great if they just slowed down the walking speed. And if it wasn't first person combat.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They increase enemy stats and decrease yours. IIRC, was something about 60%-100%-135%. Also, Hardcore mode makes that you can die of starvation.

I honestly think it's a waste to play Hardcore now. Until you understand all the classes, the skills (sadly, the game doesn't show the full skill list) and the game is finely balanced, you'll probably end with a sub-par team and won't ever be able to beat it. Seriously, Hardcore IS HArdcore.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damnit, where was Quality Assurance when it was time to make sure this video wouldn't remind people of Eschalon? :smug:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It looks ok, the video was making me nearly yack though when it kept zooming into the world map.

jdinatale

Cipher
That walking speed just kills game for me.

How many times does it fucking have to be said, the walking speed can be changed to a run and it was only a walk in the video to highlight the game's aesthetics and visual assets.

Anubioz

Novice
I bet that game has 100+ hours of gameplay - smart move with that turtle moving speed!

Mortmal

Arcane

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

How many times does it fucking have to be said, the walking speed can be changed to a run and it was only a walk in the video to highlight the game's aesthetics and visual assets.
should be a toggle in the options since it's not running but speeding up movement, considering you consume the same time per distance.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

should be a toggle in the options since it's not running but speeding up movement, considering you consume the same time per distance.
You cna just press Caps Lock to toggle it. And you'll need to move slowly when facing traps and mazes, so i think it's a good compromise.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
better solution is have it as a toggle in the options and use ctr to switch to the other speed respectively or let players reassign the toggle key. putting stuff on capslock that cannot be reassigned is always derp for players like me, who like to alttab frequently and do other stuff on the side.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There is one trap that is real-time, but most are stuff like spikes in the floor, so you have to go slowly to avoid a misstep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom