Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

You're all doing a very good job of being productive and attentive regarding the development process - something the vast majority of teams fail at - so well done on that front

Crabcakes

Overhype Studios
Developer
Thanks man,
we really try hard not to lose momentum. Just keep on going and don´t stop :)
Right now I´m working on the worldmap tiles. There´s still a lot of stuff missing, like tile transitions etc, but It´ll look something like this:

worldmap_20.jpg

oscar

Arcane
This competes with Age of Decadence for upcoming projects I'm most excited about.

I had a random thought that this engine would be great to represent a game where you took the role of a mercenary chevauchée during the Hundred Years War (though of course the player would be the one looting and pillaging in that case).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oscar, I was moments away from saying the exact same thing: "This competes with Age of Decadence for upcoming projects I'm most excited about".

They're very different games, but they're both damn good. I played a few scenarios of the alpha... and it's fantastic. Great graphics, great engine, great selection of equipment (especially at this stage, no doubt you will add a lot more stuff!). I'm very impressed, and I could back it with a pre-order I certainly would.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
An "unequip all" button would be a great addition. While I appreciate the equipment choices you made, I like to set up each of my characters myself prior to the battle.

Also, the ability to position your men at the start of combat.

I would also like to fight human opponents, too. While it's fun to bash zombies over the head, I'd also like some bandits or enemy armies to fight.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
So i tried the starting scenario without changing the starting equipment because it seemed like the "right way" like what the devs intended it to be. Well after losing many times i said fuck this shit, rolled my sleeves and gave the men some proper equipment:
-switched the heavy armor/greatsword for a light armor/billhook; armored greatsword has like 35 fatigue, that just won't cut it, billhook range of 2 means that armor isn't needed
-switched one of the archers for another light armor/billhook
-switched shield/mace for some other 1h weapon, maces are mostly useless in this scenario due to a lack of armored targets
-gave every shield man moderate but not too much armor

And what happened next? I fucking won it with only 1 battle bro casualty.:salute:I didn't realize that sword counter and spearwall free attacks do not expend fatigue. That's so good it saved my ass on a number of occasions.

Overall the game really shows its X-Com roots what with armor having a limited shelf life and people dieing easily. I like it and i eagerly await the full release.
And fuck vampires.:mad:

I just finished the line battle with very few casualties by having everyone wear the heaviest armour possible, and using every single 2h weapon. I actually like the Greatswords a lot; I have a lot of success just chopping the enemy shields to bits, and then it only takes one or two hits from a great sword to kill. The Greatsword also has some multi-target attacks; you can hit two ranks deep, or three opponents in front of you. I prefer it to the billhook.

Also, it appears the terrain is randomized for each battle?

Necromancers are extremely powerful, and... extremely fleet-footed for old men. I find it very difficult to combat them. If I try to get close, the AI protects them and they can run as fast as me, but if I don't pursue them, then they resurrect a new opponent every single turn.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Thanks guys :)

An "unequip all" button would be a great addition. While I appreciate the equipment choices you made, I like to set up each of my characters myself prior to the battle.

Also, the ability to position your men at the start of combat.

I would also like to fight human opponents, too. While it's fun to bash zombies over the head, I'd also like some bandits or enemy armies to fight.
An "unequip all" button sounds like a good addition.

Positioning your Battle Brothers prior to battle is something we might also add, though some types of engagements, like being ambushed, would then deny the player that ability.

There'll be a variety of human (bandits mostly) and humanoid (orcs, goblins and the like) opponents in the final game, in addition to the undead present in the combat demo. Since creating a convincing zombie AI is a lot easier than creating a convincing humanoid AI, we just used the undead as a starting point.

I just finished the line battle with very few casualties by having everyone wear the heaviest armour possible, and using every single 2h weapon. I actually like the Greatswords a lot; I have a lot of success just chopping the enemy shields to bits, and then it only takes one or two hits from a great sword to kill. The Greatsword also has some multi-target attacks; you can hit two ranks deep, or three opponents in front of you. I prefer it to the billhook.
Great to see so many different approaches to winning the scenarios!

Also, it appears the terrain is randomized for each battle?
Yes, though the amount of randomization differs between the individual scenarios. The Line Battle Scenario will always be plains and have an open space at the center, while the Advanced Combat Scenario can have entirely different terrain (forest, swamp, etc).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Thanks for the response, you guys are making a really promising game right now.

I have now completed all the scenarios except the one where you're surrounded on a hill. That one doesn't seem to have any randomization. I'm going to beat it at some point, but right now I'm learning some tough lessons about height.

Another recommendation would be an after-battle report. I just finished the final scenario with the vampires and werewolves, and I was very curious to see which of my men killed which enemy units, how much damage they sustained, etc. I imagine you will be putting this into the final product, because then you could show experience gained, new perks, armour repair bills, etc.

I would also like the ability to see what's on the ground before I walk over it. You might not want that for purposes of difficulty/realism, though. I am just curious whether or not any of the enemies have equipment that I do not have access to; so far it seems that the enemy is using the same stuff, though.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Yeah, we're going to have an after-battle report in the final game, like you said.

Regarding items on the ground, when hovering over a tile, the tooltip shows icons for all the items on that tile (though not their names, currently). Some of the enemies in the demo have equipment you don't have access to in that specific scenario (e.g. the Zombie Duke in the Early Game scenario sometimes wields a Fighting Axe), and the skeletons in the demo have distinct shields not available to the player. For the final game, more enemies will have unique equipment with actual unique skills (e.g. goblin throwing nets) that can't be bought or crafted by the player, but can be looted.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Sounds good, looking forward to the next update.

I have completed all the scenarios now; I noticed the hill fight does have randomization, and it's pretty crucial because it determines how the enemy gets up the hill. I succeeded by taking a lot of axes, spears, shields, and crossbows. Just blocked up the entrances and hacked them to bits. Didn't lose a single soldier.

Crabcakes

Overhype Studios
Developer
Thanks for the feedback!
Just a little addition: if you take a close look at the worldmap mockup you can already see a bandit gang (the figure with the red banner) and a bandit hideout in the woods :)
So there will definitely be a variety of enemies for launch .)

Crabcakes

Overhype Studios
Developer
Here we go again:
Some insights on our new Bravery and Morale system.
Enjoy!

Dev Blog #20: Bravery and Morale

Morale was a major and often deciding factor in real medieval battles. Not every battle was fought to the death, and instead, tactics often revolved around crushing the morale and organization of the opposition and to scatter them as a means to win a battle. In Battle Brothers we aim to simulate morale as the important factor it is. Indeed, if you’ve played our tactical combat demo, you’ll know that we already have a morale system in place. However, it didn’t turn out all what we wanted it to be, so we decided to do a complete rework. Read all about how the new morale system works below.

Our Goals

So what do we want our morale system to be?

Most importantly, we want morale to be something that is easy to read and utilize for you, the player. Our new system therefore follows a clear pattern of there always being an action with an intuitive gravity to it, like an opponent being slain, and a following reaction in the way of morale changing. For morale to be easy to read, there should be a clear continuum of different descriptive states of morale, allowing the player to see at a glance how everyone is doing, to act in time, before any Battle Brother mentally breaks, and to understand why anyone would flee when they do.

Secondly, morale should be an important gameplay element that both the player and the AI could actively use as a means to achieve victory. To this end, some enemies will employ psychological attacks, like instilling fear and terror, to reduce a Battle Brother’s combat effectiveness and even have him flee, instead of merely attacking them physically. Likewise, the player should be able to press on the flank that has opponents with low morale in order to scatter them, and to reach and kill the opponent’s leader in order to send the opposition into disarray. Considering the morale of Battle Brothers should be equally important for the player, with veteran warriors more likely to hold the front line than recruits as losses begin to mount.

With our goals established, let’s see how it works in practice.

Bravery

The key character attribute for all morale related checks is called “bravery”, a measure for overall mental strength and how well a character can keep their confidence and calm when things turn sour. The amount of bravery can vary strongly between characters and opponents as some are more faint hearted while others won’t flinch even in the most desperate of situations - undead enemies even are immune to morale effects altogether. Many of our character backgrounds and traits also directly or indirectly affect a character’s bravery. Like most other attributes, bravery can be increased on level-up to make a character more resilient against all kinds of psychological effects, and some of the perks the player can choose will also open up new tactical options regarding morale.

flags.jpg

Morale States

No longer is morale a large abstract number changing every turn. Instead, every character is at one of just five distinct states of morale. Characters start out with their morale at “steady” and can change their state either on failing or passing a morale check. The five morale states are as follows:

Confident (+1)

The character is confident that their side will win the engagement and he or she will survive the day, receiving a bonus to hit chance and defense.

Steady (0)

The character is prepared for battle and in a steady state of mind. This state has no effect on combat performance.

Wavering (-1)

There is something unsettling about how the combat is developing. Things are looking a little grim and the character is insecure about which side will win. This state reduces combat efficiency slightly and also gives a malus to following morale checks.

Breaking (-2)

Things are going downhill fast, the character is almost sure that the fight is lost, whether personally or as a whole, but is still hanging on. This state reduces combat efficiency significantly and makes it more likely for the character to fail the next negative check and decide to flee from battle.

Fleeing (-3)

The character decided to turn tail and run from combat to save their life. He or she can’t take any actions and will attempt to move away from all visible enemies as fast as possible. Given some distance to the nearest enemy, there is a chance each turn of rallying again by passing a morale check. If the check is passed, the character will be returned to a “wavering” morale state and can then act normal again.

Morale Checks

On certain events, all characters - Battle Brothers and enemies alike - have to pass a morale check. There are two kinds of morale checks: Positive and negative checks.

Negative checks challenge the bravery of a character in light of a psychological straining event and if not passed will set their morale state one lower. For example, witnessing an ally being cut down will trigger a negative morale check. All checks are a dice roll against a character’s bravery attribute, the difficulty depending on the severeness of the event that caused the check. Generally, the more powerful a character is and the closer he is to his allies, the more impact his death has on everyone’s morale, and therefore the higher the morale check difficulty will be in case he is killed. Another common event triggering a negative morale check is receiving heavy wounds in combat. Less determined fighters, those with a low bravery attribute, may choose to turn tail and run away, while more determined fighters will choose to stay in line.

Vice versa there are positive morale checks that, if passed, will increase the morale state of a character. These may be caused, for example, by an opponent getting slain. Again, the difficulty of the morale check depends on how powerful and how close the opponent was - a Goblin Chieftain being slain is much more likely to improve everyone’s morale than a random goblin out of a dozen more. Positive morale checks can even lead to characters feeling confident about the battle, receiving slight combat boni that represent their belief in winning the engagement and surviving the day.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Nice picture; I spy a new weapon, new monsters, and it looks like two people lost their heads

Crabcakes

Overhype Studios
Developer
hey Agesilaus,
You're right, that's the warhammer. Beheadings and smashed in skull-sprites unfortunately didn't make it into the combat demo yet. By the way, it's not only "aesthetical", a beheaded character can not be revived as a zombie :)
The enemies are ghouls (they feed on corpses to restore their HP) and the top right guy is the Vampire Bloodguzzler, but I won't spoil what he's up to :)

Nice RPS feature! and now let's get this party started!

enemies_goblin_party.jpg

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Would love to see some kind of Skaven-like monsters in near future :C
Fighting huge rats never gets old.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
For the record, I think the "early game" scenario is the toughest. You have very little equipment, the enemy is much more numerous and powerful, and unless you can track the necromancer down quickly you will be overwhelmed.

I beat it by having four brothers take up a defensive position with bows, spears and shields, and a bill hook, and having the remainder do a flanking maneuver with the swords and second bill hook to kill the necromancer. I actually didn't lose anyone, but it took a fair number of attempts.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Right, I don't mind a challenge, but it is listed as only moderate difficulty. Which scenario do other people think is the toughest?

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Man, this really catched my fancy. I'm glad I clicked on the thread and will be following this with enthusiasm.

I do have a couple of questions, about some stuff I couldn't really find out about here or in your website:

- Is the game sandboxy or does it have a linear progression with a beginning and end? In short, do you have a specific "last mission" and get a game over screen when you finish it? Maybe a mix of both such as in Darklands?
- What exactly is the purpose of your party in the game? I've seem somewhat conflicting definitions so far, sometimes you mention that you control a party of adventurers/mercenaries, then that you control a warband in defense of an invaded nation(this is on your website I think). I'm glad that you are focusing on combat gameplay so far, but that has to be defined eventually.
- Can you tell us more about the setting? Besides that it is a fantasy medieval fantasy setting with many classic staples of the genre, that is.

Crabcakes

Overhype Studios
Developer
I personally think that the advanced combat is one of the most difficult. It depends on when the vampires appear and how many of them at a time :) They can really ruin your day.

Now for the questions by Magic User:
- Concering the game progression we want to stick closely to the feel of the original xcom ufo defense. The world was completey open but still there was a beginning and an end to the game. We definitely want to avoid the forced and repetitive story missions used in the new xcom by firaxis. It will probably boil down to just one "final battle/bossfight" at the end of the game. The enemy in this fight will of course be chosen from a variety of possibilities. This is a really big topic so maybe we should cover it in a future devblog article.
- The purpose of your party shifts over the course of the game from being a random group of mercenaries looking for fame and fortune to being the last hope of stopping an great evil invasion. You start out with just exploring, fighting and plundering. Soon you will begin encountering first signs of a greater evil invading the country. Slowly the focus will shift from plundering to fighting off the invasion, finding out where it's coming from and ultimately attempting to stop it. We want the transition to feel as organic as possible. If everything works out like we planned it you wont even notice the transition :)
- The setting is not really defined yet, it's basically a middle european low fantasy medieval world. More settings will probably added after release. Like a middle eastern themed or norse themed add-on. The country you're fighting in doesn't have a name right now and I'm not sure if it even needs one. There will be more information on that eventually :)

Cheers!

ColCol

Arcane
Finally, got around to the demo. Have to say I really enjoyed it.

Will there be magic for the battle bros, be is spells or enchanted items.

Crabcakes

Overhype Studios
Developer
Hey ColCol,
there will not be classic magic using for the bros like spells etc, but a big twist in the game will be so called "accessories". Each brother can wear one of those and they will give you special or even magic abilities like reviving a slain brother as a zombie fighting for you or knocking back all enemies in a certain radius. These items will mostly be obtained by crafting and there will be a wide variety of them.
Edit: On top of that there will be legendary items like shields and weapons, some of them featuring unique skills, similar to the legendaries in Diablo3.
As we are still working on the core game features we didn't start on the legendaries yet, but I can't wait for that. Will be big fun :)

Cheers!

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Now for the questions by Magic User:

Thanks for the reply, that sounds real good. I will bother you with some more questions if you don't mind, I'm surprised nobody has asked some of these yet:

- What are the non-combat skills you have planned so far? Crafting? Medics? Any sort of leadership/diplomacy type skills?
- How does the game deal with the passing of time? Do characters age and get physically weaker such as in Darklands?

5) Maybe some kind of "feat" system, where random events can cause specific characters earn feats or flaws (eg. drunkard) which affect their stats or have other effects?

I really like this idea. Have you given it any thought? Something like permanent injury would be interesting if well implemented. Say, after a critical hit to the head the character has a random chance of losing one eye. Then character figure gets an eyepatch and permanently loses perception and visual field, etc.

It goes well with your concept(great concept, btw) of characters being uniquely fit and the player eventually being attached to them one way or the other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom