Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rime Berta, a Japanese indie SRPG - released

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

http://playism.tv/english-version-srpg-rime-berta-teased/

We’re working on the English localization for Rime Berta, a charming doujin SRPG in the vein of Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics. Developed by Next-Soft+, Rime Berta uses detailed hand-drawn sprites and a polygonal battlefield to amazing effect. Collect “puppets”, magical warriors of all different classes that you control on the battlefield, and get their help to find the fabled Rime Berta.

We don’t have a release date ready for the title just yet, but we can’t wait to share it with all of you. Get ready, because this one is big!

It will be published by Playism. (They also published many other Japanese indie games include One Way Heroics and La-Mulana)

ColCol

Arcane
Yeah, too lazy to look for a link but this game comes out on Aug 4th.

ColCol

Arcane
Reminds me Touhou of Labyrinth, possibly deep and fun rpg system under pedophilic skin.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Playism released another indie JRPG, Helen's Mysterious Castle. It's made with RPG Maker 2000.

A lone girl ventures into a labyrinthine castle in search of answers.

Helen knows little about who she is and where she is, but she's dying to find out. Stuck on a floating island with a maze-like castle begging to be explored, Helen lets her curiosity get the better of her. It's a good thing she's more than capable.

Armed with a plethora of weapons she finds on her journey, Helen must battle monsters, collect new equipment, and uncover the secrets of her mysterious home.

http://playism-games.com/games/helen/

It's $1.99.

Some of portraits looks like RPM 2000's default ones. :M

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Same, but the lolis and shit is a real turn-off.

Though I've seen worse games reviewed here, so it shouldn't be THAT much of a problem.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
When will Codex or TCancer review it?

Waiting for an review before I spend my dosh
I played FFIV so I already know this kind of game. No reason to play it. Then again if they would release it as noncommercial freeware, and someone reminds me on winter nights...

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
My brother played it a little and all he said was that its very similar to FFT

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Coriolanus

Learned
So, Rime Berta. Let's start with the good things. The mixed turn/AP system is quite cool and something I've not seen done before in an SRPG. You get three allowed actions per turn - action, movement and reaction. Each of them takes some action points and if, for instance, you've spent all on your action and movement you won't have any to set up a reaction (Guard, Counter, Cover Fire etc.). The other thing is the lack of consumables - it's a good thing, actually. You can't just stock up on potions - once your healers run out of spells, you're on your own to survive.

The rest is pretty standard. The party you control consists of five so-called puppets that can change their classes and unlock new abilities as they gain experience and you move from one mission to another in a straightforward, linear fashion.

The story is minimal and the sound/visuals aren't bad. I'd much rather have a skeleton of a story than another barrage of 'you're the chosen one!' tropes and one-dimensional characters shoved down my throat. The visuals are pretty and honestly, I like the relaxed feel of it all as if nothing rushes you to play it. Would you be OK if that 12 year old girl in your head took over for a while? Can you enjoy the 'magical girl' trope for what it is? Not that it's especially intrusive in any way - far less so than the Touhou games, for instance.

Now, the not-so-good. You are allowed to repeat past missions to power up your characters. Playing on 'hard' I could get by through the first zone with zero backtracking. However, once I've moved on to the second zone I was given a warm welcome by a bunch of enemies of much higher level than my average party member, equipped with classes and abilities that were plainly too much compared to what I had at my own disposal. In other words, the game told me to go back and grind the old levels. These, to add salt to the injury, are repeated in the exact same fashion as you encountered them during your first time. Yes, there isn't even a 'random battle' variety to spice it up. I don't have time for this.

Maybe the game plays a lot better on 'medium' difficulty, I'm not sure. As it is, I'm putting my current playthrough on hiatus.

Bottom line? It's decent to try at least if you're a big fan of SRPGs in general and want to see a fresh take on the old turn system. The difficulty isn't anything to scoff at, especially if you refuse to grind above anything that's absolutely necessary.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I grabbed Helen's Castle, played a bit of the start. It's pretty damn fun and has an interesting battle system! Will probably run thru it after I'm done with Trails.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Helen's Castle look very impressive for a RM2K game ; but by the way, it is true : all the portraits are the ones offered by default.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom