Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, Fangshi, what do we need to weaponize our usage of the Gate spell?

Can we use it to drop a force in the enemy rear for a diversion, do damage, and have them escape back? Can we use it to let the reinforcements in without them having to their way through the enemy army? How demanding (in terms of personal power and/or Energon Cubes) would it be, considering that all the locations would probably be in sight range. What sort of preparations it will require?
Sort of. Enough mages have to stay in the casting circle to keep the gate open (for a short range gate like this lets say you need at least three mages casting constantly to keep it open).
I think we just have enough people to pull it off. So what are the other factors we might want to consider?

How many mages it would take to open a Gate to Myrgard from where we are standing?

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
It'd be hilarious to open a gate in front of our mortar and make the exit a couple of hundred feet above their command tent.

Nevill

Arcane
I think we shouldn't try it in the vicinity of their mages, as the control of the Gate will then be decided in a battle of wills and power, in which those archmages probably have an advantage just because of sheer numbers. Not to mention that if they do what we did back then, redirecting the energy of the spell, they could wipe out our whole fortress. Besides, it requires us to have a perfect memory of the place we want to warp into, and empty air is not a good landmark.

I think the use would have to be more subtle than that.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I don't think we have enough mages anyway. We should put in the letter we need some mages from the academy if possible. Being able to gate away if things go poorly would be invaluable.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And entirely against Derryths personality, unless she gates away all the other survivors while at it. And then how would she maintain the gate? Not to mention the possibility of it failing horrendously, due to undead archmage meddling (remember the shades?).

Nope. Gate does not seem like a viable option.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
And entirely against Derryths personality, unless she gates away all the other survivors while at it. And then how would she maintain the gate? Not to mention the possibility of it failing horrendously, due to undead archmage meddling (remember the shades?).

Nope. Gate does not seem like a viable option.

The plan is to quickly gate Derryth or Thais out to the academy or our tower, and then open a gate back to the keep to evacuate everyone. Then we blow the keep up when we wind down the spell by collapsing it. It would take some preplanning but it could be done fairly quickly as long as we weren't being pressed too badly on the walls.

Nevill

Arcane
The spell takes time to prepare and cast, from half an hour to sevelar hours, IIRC (it's a ritual). If things go sour and we escape, then it means we would have to leave our keep without a commander when our forces need it most, for some time until we reopen the gate.

Hm, can the Gate be maintained from the other side? That might do it. However, it still would not be safe, as the presence of the Gate should become apparent to the enemy, and the more survivors we try to evacuate, the less forces there will be to defend the other side. The enemy mages might slip through and wrestle the control of the spell from us.

I don't think it is very viable for us to use the Gate to flee. Still, fleeing is a desperation option. If it came to a choice between dying and resorting to this...

archaen

Cipher
Patron
:Conspiracy theory: Treave and Fangshi are the same person. Treave takes off for the week and so does Fangshi...:shunthenonbeliever:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Also, Fangshi, what do we need to weaponize our usage of the Gate spell?

You can but it will be clear to any nearby archmages what you are trying to do and since it takes a while to cast and is rather draining it might not be the safest course of action. The enemy mages might be able to grab a hold of the other end of the spell and turn it into a pushing match or they might just wait for your forces to come out and then ambush them. If you keep the gate open while your forces attack (which you would need to do to prevent trapping them out there for half an hour or so) then there is also the risk that the Shades could seize control of the spell and pour their soldiers through into the fort (which may or may not be to your advantage).

Still if you want to try it I can include different Gate related plans in the relevant update when/if it should come up.

Nevill said:
I think we just have enough people to pull it off. So what are the other factors we might want to consider?

The most important fact to consider is that your opponents probably have more than one archmage on their side.

After that you would need to be percise with where you aim the spell, you would have to be willing to burn through energon cubes or your own power for the day you cast it, you would need some way to communicate with your forces on the outside (which is largely taken care of), you should also take into account that it may be difficult to convince people you have never personally met to step into a magical gateway.

So enemies, terrain, power cost, and the personalities of your allied commanders could all come into play.

Nevill said:
How many mages it would take to open a Gate to Myrgard from where we are standing?

The math would suggest five or six. You might be able to do it with less if some of them where quite powerful though.

archaen said:
:Conspiracy theory: Treave and Fangshi are the same person.

Only problem with that theory is that I am not a very good writer. ;)

Anyway, had a lot of work to do this week and now I am going out for drinks to relax (I know I am a horrible person) so you are going to have to wait for those updates till sometime tomorrow when I sober up some.

Good news is that I found Amena and Ithapi's Interlude (misplaced in an old campaign folder... thought I was going insane...) so it should be up sometime within the next twenty four hours. Once I actually sit down to type it out, it should not take too terribly long.

The vote will close in fourteen hours and the update will come within sixteen hours of that.

Not ideal spacing but c'est la vie.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
archaen said:
:Conspiracy theory: Treave and Fangshi are the same person.

Only problem with that theory is that I am not a very good writer. ;)
But them rolls, would love to roll like that during campaigns.

Anyway, had a lot of work to do this week and now I am going out for drinks to relax (I know I am a horrible person) so you are going to have to wait for those updates till sometime tomorrow when I sober up some.

:drink:
Drink one to us and everything will be all right. Every person deserves chill time.
Good news is that I found Amena and Ithapi's Interlude (misplaced in an old campaign folder... thought I was going insane...) so it should be up sometime within the next twenty four hours. Once I actually sit down to type it out, it should not take too terribly long.
:updatedmytxt:
so we will wait till Sean Connery update that txt.

Fangshi

Arcane
So naturally the vote closed twelve hours ago or so. The winning options were:

1.D: 'Investigate it. This may take time, which you may not have, but you will attempt to study the structure and determine what its purpose is. Use the time the chariots are taking to shuttle your wounded to investigate. If it is important to the enemy and has unreplaceable components that can't be easily taken, level it. If it has important components that you can transport, steal them. If it is nothing special leave it and save the ammo for the army.'

2.A: Use the mandrake root on Ori

3.A: Use the mandrake root on Neel

4.B: Use mandrake roots on the seriously wounded and send the lightly wounded in chariots.

5.C: 'Throw it in the tunnels and then collapse them. You'll wait outside, far, far away from it until the job is done. Have a chariot drag the staff to the fort and have a dwarf with no magical affinity as driver and a separate dwarf carry it to the tunnels and cover it in molten metal. Cover it in lead if you have enough. If you have almost enough base metals to cover it then consider smelting gold into the mixture to get enough.'

6.Ai,Aii: And you will send off eagles to Albrecht and to your Stoneheim mercenaries.

I have just finished typing out the Interlude and will begin on the Update proper shortly (Just a couple things to deal with first). So the Interlude should be up very soon and the update will probably be up in six or so hours, maybe less as it is not likely to be too terribly long.

Fangshi

Arcane
Interlude 3: What is there in the Dark

Something is wrong in the dark tower. Cries of terror fill the darkness.

The sounds of ruined dreams.

The sounds of crushed hopes.

The sounds of fear and of failure and of despair.

The sounds of crawling, skittering horrors that materialize in the night.

The sounds that will teach them to fear the dark.

And they warm her in her restless slumber.

----------------------------------------

"Help!" the call goes up and is soon joined by another and another, "Amena! Monster!"

She bolts out of bed and to the door.

Is it an attack?

With a snap of her fingers a spell jumps to life in her hands. A sphere of life and light in the darkness of the old city.

Shadows? Horrors? What could it be?

Round and round she races as she descends the stairs heading for the children's room.

Has Ithapi failed to guard them? Has the tower been breached?

The cries come as a chorus now, thirteen voices scream out in the dark.

She slams into the door, casting it open and her sphere of light fills the tower bedroom.

Thirteen children race to her. The babble, they weep, they point at the corners and closets, under their beds and outside their window as they crowd around her.

She sighs in relief and begins to soothe them.

Another false alarm but still she dutifully makes the rounds.

She fills every corner with light. She opens and empties every wardrobe. She checks and double checks under each bed. And once more she checks the runes on their window.

Satisfied but shaken the children return to their beds as Amena withdraws from the room.

Nightmares.

That is all it was, all it ever is.

Every night, every night since Derryth left the same call has gone up from the children and every night she has tried to soothe them. Every night she has been forced to make the rounds.

She has not had a good night's sleep in almost a month.

Something has to change.

--------------------------------------------

As she returns to her room to get dressed it comes winging out of the dark.

A bird, an eagle. Or at least that is what she thinks it is, having never actually seen one outside of her tomes.

It lands on her window sill and stares at her.

She stares back.

It smiles at her.

She stares at it.

It taps the glass with its talon.

She stares at it.

It shifts uncomfortably.

She stares at it.

It is seems to be getting annoyed as it slowly raises a leg to clearly display a note bound to it.

Could it be from Brigit and Gareth?

Carefully she opens the window.

Gratefully the bird enters and presents not one but two messages to her.

The first is from Brigit, she enquires after their health and she explains the presence of the eagle.

Amena smiles at the bird, "So you are a friend of Derryth's?"

The bird nods.

"And you are serving as a messenger?" she continues.

Again the bird nods.

"Well it is a pleasure to meet you then," she extends a hand which the bird graciously accepts.

Hmm, smart bird.

The second letter is from Derryth and Thaïs themselves and it is with great interest that she reads of their adventures in the world above.

She nods to herself as she finishes, reading their requests, "They want a update on our condition, they want me to teach Ithapi to read, and Thaïs suggests that I seek his advice should I run into any difficulties," she smiles slightly, "Alright, I should be able to do that."

It seems that something really is going to change.

---------------------------------------------

It is the middle of the night, or at least what passes for night in these dim caverns, and he sits staring out into the dark.

He is taking a break from his work, the reconstruction and expansion of the servants' quarters. He sits cross legged, leaning against the wall, looking out over the courtyard.

He does not sleep much anymore.

The children do not sleep.

So she does not sleep.

So he can not sleep.

It is three in the morning and she should arrive any minute now.

He counts in his head.

One.

He can hear the door below him creek open.

Two.

He hears footsteps on the stairs.

Three.

The door to his room opens. The only finished room on this floor.

"Ithapi?" she begins, "Are you awake?"

She knows he is of course. He sighs and calls to her, "In the adjoining room Amena!"

He can hear her cross his chamber and glances up just in time to see her enter the half finished room.

"Not in bed?" she begins.

"No," he answers with a shrug.

"Do you have a moment to talk?" she asks, she already knows what the answer will be.

"Yes," he replies as he draws himself back to his full height and picks up his tools, "But my break is over so we will have to talk while I work."

She smiles, "Alright."

It is not like she really wants to talk anyway. He has known her long enough to know that she just wants someone to listen. Maybe grunt here or there, offer sympathy, that sort of thing. By now he is quite good at it really.

"It is the children," she brushes sawdust off a nearby bench before hopping up on it, "They are having nightmares."

"Really," he replies dryly as he measures a new board, "You don't say."

As usual she fails to catch his tone, she nods, "Yes, horrible nightmares. Every night in fact. They dream of spiders, they dream of their goddess, she is furious at them and she unleashes her monsters on them. They run, they fall, they die and then they wake screaming. It is all I can do to calm them and convince them that they are safe."

"A shame," he begins to cut the board, the slow rhythm of his saw relaxes him.

"Very much so yes," she sighs, "I just don't know what to do. When Mistr-, when Derryth and the others were here they were fine. I just don't know what is causing these nightmares."

She pauses but he knows she is not really expecting a response from him so he merely nods and starts in on another board. For a second he thinks he can see disappointment in her eyes but he shrugs it off.

"If I could only figure out how to help them," she pushes on, resting her head in her hands, "If only Derryth or Thaïs where here, they could calm the children I just know it!" and then she says the words that completely shock him, "Ithapi, I would like your advice."

He just about cuts a finger off in surprise, "My advice?"

She nods, "Yes, I would like your advice."

Well there is a first time for everything he supposes.

He begins to cut a new board as he answers, "Well, the way I see it is that they feel weak and vulnerable. When our friends were here they were fine. Now that they are gone, the children worry. So if you want them to stop having nightmares then you need them to feel confident and safe."

She nods slowly, "Sounds plausible. How do we do that?"

He stops working and stares at her. She really wants to know what he thinks, "Ah, well, they are afraid of the dark, right? So why not teach them that Light spell of yours. Why not show them how to make the anti-shadow runes. Give them something they can use to protect themselves without hurting each other. Ah, that is how I'd do it."

She beams, "Splendid idea! We will start tomorrow, I will have to work out a lesson plan but- Oh thank you Ithapi! The letter was right!"

"Letter?" the maul responds, slightly confused.

"Oh right," she fishes around in her pocket and produces a pair of letters, "Brigit and Gareth found a way to get a message to us and Derryth and Thaïs wrote to us as well!"

He looks down at the letters, "Ah, that's great. But, well, I will have to take your word for it..."

Her grin grows wider at those words, "No you won't! Starting tomorrow, you are going to learn to read!"

Excitement ignites in his eyes but a current of caution dims the flames, "Really?"

"Derryth requested it herself," she replies with a wink.

The smile he gives her in response could light the entire city.

---------------------------------------------

The lessons go well all things considered and all of the children are excited to learn a little magic.

Only half of the children have any real gift for magic but that is fine, to teach them to create a light is a simple matter and only requires the most basic understanding of magical theory.

"Now I want you all to think of your happiest memory, someone you loved or a wonderful day, just something that brightens your mind and cheers your soul," she stands at the front of the room as her thirteen pupils sit in front of her concentrating.

"Does everyone have a memory?" she asks.

"Yes, Miss Amena," they reply in unison.

"Good," she moves to the next step, "Now I want you to take that happy thought and move it down your arm, down to your hands."

Instantly four lights appear to a collection of gasps and giggles. Two of them flare out immediately but two of the children manage to hold on, "Good work Maya! Excellent job Anansi!" the two children nod as their peers look on.

"I want the rest of you to really concentrate now," she urges the rest of the group on.

Slowly another four lights spring to life: Iktomi, Areop-Enap, Holda, Saulė, each manages to grasp the spell.

After another hour of work Amena even manages to coax to life three more lights from children with little skill for magic. Most of the children are learning but for some it is simply a hurdle they can not overcome.

But that was to be expected, thankfully she has a plan.

She calls to Ithapi, waiting in the hall, and he fills the doorframe, "Mind if I borrow a few of the children?" he asks.

"Not at all," she replies as he singles out the four children unable to form the spell.

Reluctantly they rise from their seats and with heads hung follow the maul from the room.

---------------------------------------

Their plan was always likely to cause pain. Not everyone has talent for magic and though he is certain these children could learn the spell given time and perseverance it will do little to bolster their confidence in the short term.

"I know you kids wanted to learn that spell," he begins as he leads them out into the courtyard, "But not everyone is good at everything. So instead I am going to give you a more practical lesson."

Standing in the middle of the yard are six large dummies. Each takes a different form, some are fashioned after men, some after spiders, and some after the beasts and slaves of the dark. Each is marked and notched and covered in bright paint, red for vital points, yellow for weak points, and blue for strong points.

The children eye the 'creatures' warily.

The maul gestures to two racks of 'weapons'. Wooden swords, spears, axes and mallets hang from the first while a pair of old bows hang off the second paired with a generous supply of dulled arrows.

"Magic is not the only way to protect yourself," he begins, thinking back to the very first lessions Eris ever gave him, "Every single enemy you could ever encounter has a weakness. Every single enemy you could ever encounter can be beaten. That goes for men, for monsters, even for gods. Do you understand?"

"Ye- Yes" one of the children answers, "But how?"

The maul chuckles, "That is what I am going to teach you and any of your friends that want to learn. I will teach you how to fight and I will teach you how to win," he points to the largest of the dummies, a Cyclopean horror with a great wooden horn, "See that?"

They nod quietly, their full attention fixated on the dummy. Without another word the maul draws a scavenged axe from his belt and hurls it toward the wooden figure. It strikes the target and cleaves the 'creature's' head in half.

"Wow," the children respond in unison.

"Now have any of you ever handled a weapon before?" he folds his arms behind his back.

One of the older girls raises her hand, she could not be more than nine, "Father was going to teach me, he let me hold his sword even. Then he, he..."

The maul gently lays a great hand on her shoulder, "That's all right," she looks up at him and he smiles, "I will teach you. But before any of you pick up a weapon you are going to learn to use your most powerful weapon first."

"What's that?" the youngest asks.

The maul gives him a confident grin, "How do you think Mistress Derryth beat the Blues?"

"With magic? 'Cause she is a, ah, a 'Fell and Dark Mistress of the Ar- Arca- ah, Magic Arts'?" the child hazards.

The maul lets out a great booming laugh that causes the children to giggle, "No," he answers warmly, "That was only part of it and not the largest part by far. She won because she used her head. If you learn to use your heads kids then you will be almost unbeatable. So before you learn to swing a sword you will learn where you should swing it and why. You will learn how to win and then I will give you the tools to win."

The children look to one another and slowly begin to nod, "And we will be safe?" one asks.

"And you will be free," the maul replies, "Free to create your own safety. Now shall we begin?"

They nod enthusiastically.

He begins to walk toward the targets and motions for them to follow, "Now the first thing you need to know about fighting is..."

-----------------------------------------------

Something is 'right' in the dark tower. Cries of joy and triumph fill the darkness.

The sounds of spells being mastered.

The sounds of weapons striking home.

The sounds of confidence, the sounds of victory and the end of despair.

The sounds of everyday life that shatter the darkness.

They are sounds that will teach them that there is nothing in the darkness that can not be forced into the light.

They are sounds made by voices and hands that annoy her in her restless sleep.

That infuriate her with their defiance.

That fill her with impotent rage at what might have been.

That should have been hers to mould but which have been stolen from her and turned against her.

And what is worst is that she can do nothing, she can not move, she can not see, she can not act, only hear.

But she is patient, she is ancient, she will find a way into the world and when she does, oh, when she does, she will remember this and she will make them pay.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
From planning the world's domination to scaring children in their sleep. How the mighty have fallen. :lol:

Remind me not to try sarcasm on a fetch if we ever speak to one again.

Hm, how old are Maya and Anansi? How long do we have until these children take over the world? :)

I wonder if the rumors of our deeds have reached Muirthemne, thanks to Damh. It would have been hilarious to see how hard Gareth facepalmed when he heard about us engaging an army with eight men. Here's hoping that they will mention what they heard and their take on it in their letter to us - and that we'll still be alive to see it, of course.

And we should name our eagles if Lyssa didn't already. They clearly have personalities of their own, and their services have proven invaluable. I wonder if our team members could each pick their favorite among them to act as their familiars. I know they are ultimately Lyssa's, but, but... maybe if we ask her really nicely, she'll let us? :)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 44: The Battle of Blackrock III

One of the advantages of only working with the best is that once your orders were issued you could be certain that they would be carried out.

Your chariots ferry the injured back to the fort as you scouts track the enemy and help slip Lyssa's spies into their ranks. The Pathfinders for their part are pursuing their own ends. Alvis, Stori and Ori have set to mining the most likely avenues of advance for the enemy forces while Bari and Astrid have been combing your enemy's camp for anything that may prove useful.

For your part you have spent the last half an hour thoroughly examining your enemy's building.

The structure your enemies are attempting to raise is fascinating and the three of you have spent a great deal of time examining it. It is fascinating because it is a complete mystery to you. And it is a complete mystery because it is so very ordinary.

In every meaningful way it appears to be merely a normal structure.

It is built from mundane wood and stone, nothing that would be too difficult to replace at least. It does not seem to contain any traps or hidden chambers, in fact it consists of a single large, open-air, nine sided room and nothing more. There are no runes carved in the walls, there are no arcane writings engraved along the support pillars, there are no orbs, or crystals, or corpses, or anything really to give you even a hint of what it could be used for with only a single exception. One of the walls is hinged and split down the middle, you have tested it and sure enough it can open fully and gives you a clear view of the mountainside your fort is located on.

In front of each of the remaining walls rests a large uncut stone, a sort of platform or pedestal that someone could likely sit or stand on.

With little else to provide a hint the three of you set to work theorizing.

"Could it be some sort of defensive structure? Something to protect their army with?" Lyssa suggests.

"Perhaps," Thaïs replies, but she looks sceptical, "However we can not actually strike at their army from the fort and if we leave our defences when their main army arrives they should have the sheer magical power to crush us in the field."

You caution your friend, "Sure, but do they know that they outclass us to such a degree? Is that an assumption they can safely make?"

Your friend shrugs, "I suppose not but have we ever known the Watcher's minions to favour defence?"

You laugh, "I'll give you that. They tend to be rather direct in their methods. So if it is not a shield then perhaps it is a sword."

"What do you mean?" the witch enquires.

"Well," you begin, "Only one side of the building opens, the side that points directly at us. What if the whole purpose of this building is to channel power from a circle of mages to a specific point? Like some sort of giant magical cannon."

Your compatriots frown at the idea and Lyssa responds, "They might have used that rod to break our minds and take the fort without a fight."

A sobering thought indeed but it gives you an idea, "A definite possibility and something to worry about if that Creature were in charge but there've been no cases of shades employing mind control that I know about. I think it would have been less subtle than that. What would happen if they all channelled Dispersal Dreams through such a weapon for example or if they used it to mass cast some sort of elemental spell. They would wipe the fort out if they wanted to or at the very least kill our entire garrison from a distance."

"Is such a thing even possible?" your friend asks.

With a shrug you answer truthfully, "Honestly, I have no idea. However a mage can channel their spells through their staves to give them better direction. The same principle applies to swords, arrows and all sorts of items. So perhaps, if they installed the equipment necessary to direct their spells, they could work together to channel their spells towards our fort."

"Would archmages really be that willing to work together though," Lyssa reminds you.

"Hmm, good point, getting a group of undead archmages to cooperate like that on a spell would be quite difficult" you admit, "I almost wish we could spin this thing around and test my theory on the enemy army."

"Maybe we can?" Bari calls out from the doorway, "Couldn't we just punch out the opposite wall, slip a felled tree or something through the hole to act as a giant staff and start firing away as soon as the enemy come into view?"

The idea does make you smile, "Would we have time to set it up?"

He weighs your question as he moves toward the center of the room, "It might get a bit close but I think so, yes."

Astrid appears in the doorway behind him, "Why not simply rig the building to explode if anyone tries to use it to cast a spell?"

"You can do that?" you and your two colleagues ask in unison.

"Ah, we can do that?" Bari looks at Astrid and she nods, he grins, "Well damn, I guess we can do that!" he beams triumphantly.

Astrid elaborates, "If I start now I should be able to set up a trigger that will detonate the entire structure if any spell is cast through that opening. It would only take maybe forty minutes to completely set up. If they fire off a spell then the entire structure and everything in it will be destroyed."

"If they don't discover our tampering," you remind her.

"Well, yes," she grudgingly admits, "It would be conditional on their continued ignorance of our act of sabotage. However I could also install a secondary trigger to set off the an explosion should anyone try to tamper with my devices. It would take more time though... maybe an extra twenty minutes."

Hmm, you might not have time for that with the enemy army less than an hour and a half away.

The quickest option would be to simply destroy the structure but there is not really anything of value here to destroy, it would be a simple matter for the enemy to rebuild the building should they desire so your inclination is to leave it standing and save the ammunition if you do not intend to do anything with it.

Before you can fully appraise your options however Bari produces a single wrapped text with a wide grin, "Guess what we found in one of the tents."

You take the tome from him and unwrap it, discarding its red velvet covering, to reveal a pristine white tome.

Astrid crosses the room to join your group, she speaks with confidence and wears a self satisfied grin, "Our friend the Creature seems to have lost something and leave it to a Pathfinder to find that which is meant to be hidden."

You and you colleagues glance at one another, "Could it be his spellbook?" your friend guesses.

"That or his journal," you answer with a laugh. You try to open the book but it is warded and refuses to budge. You suppose it really would be too easy for it to simply yield under the most basic of attempts to pry out its secrets.

There is a single loose sheet sticking out of the tome however. Out of curiosity you snatch at it and carefully but persistently begin to pull. Whatever spells keep the book from opening do not seem to prevent you from sliding the page out and as you examine it your joke suddenly becomes far more plausible.

"This must be from a few days ago," you mutter as Lyssa and Thaïs crowd around you and you read the note together in silence.

Dear Diary,

Outplayed again!

It is magnificent! It is wonderful, and joyous and unrivalled in its splendour!

Never, well, not in centuries at least, have I felt this alive!

And it is all thanks to that charming pair of creatures. I will, no I must possess such a pair of minds! They will be the crown jewels in my collection. This must happen, will happen but I am getting ahead of myself.

To think that our trap would itself be a trap!

Gullveig claims that it was all chance but I know better! I know that it was a trap! The publication of Blackrock's change in ownership was a mere ploy, a ruse to draw us out! It has to be! No one could be that lucky! No one could be that foolish! And to think I only found out when I resurrected at the secondary temple site instead of the Grand Temple but again I must pause and return to the beginning, organize my thoughts.

From what I have been able to piece together this plot must have taken months of careful planning to stitch together. It began with the assassination of our agents in Myrgard, a bold move indeed that set our operations there back by at least two months. At the time though we could not even begin to comprehend the enemy we were facing.

Next came the destruction of our northern army by a handful of 'heroic adventurers'. If only that lie were true but the truth is so much worse.

Then came my first meeting with those delightful mages. My first defeat in an age, only true mages, only minds honed and trained by the greatest of archmages (the 'master's' pride be damned for the Enemy is the greatest of mages indeed), I say only minds trained by Mazzarin himself could have been so devious, so clever, to trap me with a truth presented as a lie and meant to be more than a mere distraction! A trap within a trap, a brilliant deception!

But still their fiendishness builds. They knew that once we knew about their connection to the Enemy that we would be compelled, forced in fact, to pursue them. So what did they do then dearest diary? Why I shall tell you!

They purposefully published and spread the knowledge of their takeover of Blackrock Securities to draw us into an attack. Naturally I chose my best agent for such a raid, may the bitch freeze forever in the blasted caverns of hell for her treachery, but how was I to know! How could I even dream that she was in secret alliance with the Enemy! Ah, but hindsight is a glorious thing for now I see it clearly. Every little act of rebellion from dear, sweet Nanshe. Such a brilliant mind that one and one day she too will serve!

But returning to the matter at hand I must admit how shocked, how taken aback, I was by this turn of events. The 'Great Champion of the Light', Mazzarin himself, in collusion with a ghôl princess of all people, simply magnificent.

I must say, diary, that I pride myself on my ability to detect deception but I did not suspect such a deep and secret alliance at all. I applaud my enemies for their skill even as I damn them for their daring!

Which brings me finally to my reason for writing, the Great Temple is no more! While I fought Mazzarin's lieutenants at Blackrock the archmage himself descended upon the temple with an army of horrors the likes of which the world has never seen! With amethyst flames and bolts of crimson magic they flayed flesh from bone as great rays sailed through the air upon currents of plum energy.

Even then though we may have repelled the attack had not the ghôls risen against us on the very same night! They cast down my master's priests and shattered his idols before fleeing into the desert with Nanshe at their head!

Worse yet, to add just a hint of insult to this grave injury she stole my pet, dear Grip, and robbed me of my messengers!

Oh, in one night to see such damage done! To see such a masterful and coordinated strike against our interests! Yes we are dealing with true masters my dear diary!

But there is a way to reverse our recent fortune, I am sure of it.

Those mages, those lovely, enchanting creatures, are surely agents of the Enemy. In league and privy to his most terrible secrets! If I can but defeat them, capture them, then all of his secrets will be mine! We will find him where he hides! We will track down the rebels and destroy them! We will win and it will taste all the better for the trials we will have endured to achieve victory, of this I am certain.

The three of you stifle your laughter.

"Wow, just wow," Lyssa begins, "This guy is completely insane and he wants you two bad."

"I am fairly certain that after today you are on his list too Lyssa," you remind her with a gentle nudge.

Thaïs grins, "Yes, I imagine he will be writing about 'those three maddening creatures' from now on."

"Does it say anything else of importance," Astrid asks.

"No, I am afraid not," Thaïs casually replies, "It is just a great deal of raving about how badly he wishes to 'possess' Derryth and I."

"Yeah, it is just really creepy," you add. It would be best not to mention Mazzarin or Nanshe until the three of you are alone and have some time to properly discuss the impact of your decisions. For the moment though you need to decide if you want to use the building for anything or simply destroy it.

1. The Structure: Do you want to attempt to do anything with it?

A) 'Spike the Cannon' - Rig it with enough explosives to destroy it and everything in it if a spell is fired from it at your fort.

i. You will set up only a single trap that will fire if the structure is used to launch an attack. This will take less time but if discovered would be easier for your enemies to deal with.

ii. You will step up your trap with second trigger that will destroy the structure if the enemy attempts to dismantle your trap. This will take more time and risk the arrival of the enemy vanguard but it should prevent your trap from being easily dismantled.

iii. "Instead of rigging the trap mechanism we use our extra time to set up an appearance of us trying to blow the place up from the outside and failing to do so due to the lack of time, leaving an 'obvious' trap for enemy to disarm to lull them into a false sense of security while they are oblivious to the real one.

We send our slower forces ahead, and then withdraw on the chariots, trying to wreac havoc among the pursuers and inflict as much damage as possible."

iv. "Rig the place and use something unique as a detonator/trigger placed on top of the hut. If the trigger is removed, the place explodes. Once we get away, we keep an eye on the hut. If a mage enters it, we cast Retrieve Item on the detonator. There is a line of sight, and we have a spyglass."

B) Turn it on the invading army - It is built for eight mages not three but you do have a decent supply of Energon Cubes and you are at full strength. You could probably get off a few spells if your theory is correct and you work quickly. Of course you may also be wasting your time.

C) You leave it standing. There is nothing special about it that can not be replicated so you will save your ammunition for the actual battle.

D)Turn it on the invading army. However, prepare to just blow it up and make a quick run for it if the enemy gets too close. You will send all your infantry away immediately to avoid risking them. You will retain a small but mobile force of chariots to help to try and secure a rapid escape.

E) Turn it on the invading army, cast what you can and then sabotage it. While you 'turn' the cannon around and complete it, your allies will rig it to explode. When you are done they will activate the trap and leave the structure. This is not without risks however, the most obvious of which is that you will be required to use the building while it is being wired to explode.

F) freeform

2. The White Mage's Spellbook/Diary/Tome: What do you do with it?

A) Keep it - Who knows what information is in it, it may prove incredibly valuable.

B) Destroy it - Who knows what defences it may have, it may be incredibly dangerous.

C) Take it then cover it in lead as soon as possible.

D) freeform

3. Long term planning. Provided you make it back to the fort without any difficulties (injury/death) you might want to look into plotting your next ploy. It is difficult to say how long this siege may drag on for and there are a few things you could experiment with that may yield interesting results. (You can pick more than one option but it will split the characters' attention and efforts so progress may be slower (checks will be higher) based on the number of things you try to do at once.)

A) Prepare Foci - If you are going to have to fight archmages then a boost to your willpower could be quite useful but to cast the Strengthen Will ritual will require new foci. It will require Lyssa to build them from corpses and will take about a week to prepare.

B) Test animal teleportation - Lyssa's eagles have procured for you three small hares. After a great deal of negotiation and a few rather substantial promises (involving a large quantity of fresh vegetables) Lyssa has convinced the hares to let you experiment on them and provide feedback. These experiments are likely to take some time and may involve the creation of new spells but the ability to create small gates to move animals over large distances could prove quite useful.

C) Gate preparations - Should you want to gate soldiers into or out of your fortress it will require precision timing and a through understanding of the surrounding terrain. You will use a combination of Lyssa's eagles, human scouts and the memories of your soldiers to get a clear picture of the surround terrain and locate the safest points to send soldiers to or pick soldiers up from.

D) Improved explosives - You will set Berty and the Pathfinders to work devising explosives specifically designed to work with your retrieve item spell (and similar spells). This will require your input in providing design specifications and in testing the devices but will largely be dealt with by them.

E) Crack the White Mage's tome - who knows what sorts of information it may hold but it will likely take time to unravel the wards on it. (Naturally this option can only be chosen if you chose to keep the book.)

F) freeform

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Party/Organizational Changes:

Party Changes:

Not much really.

Derryth:

Lost the following items:

1. Four Mandrake Roots

Lyssa:

Pet status update:

1. One eagle sent to Albrecht in Myrgard

2. One eagle sent to intercept your forces on route from Stoneheim

Organizational Changes:

Essentially nothing. Your allies burnt through some more explosives setting up traps and IEDs but your actual organization did not change at all.

Rolls:

Very few rolls for Derryth and her group in the update. There were a couple checks that I can't reveal and that is about it. There were also a few 'knowledge' checks made by you and your allies to determine what sorts of plans you came up with though naturally I can not tell you who rolled well or not.

There were a number of movement checks for the enemy army and some rolls for the Pathfinders setting up explosives.

There were also a number of generalized rolls for events occurring elsewhere but all those are secrets.

The Thin White Mage has also had a number of rolls in the past that I can now briefly mention. He has been required to roll 'Derryth and Thaïs Paranoia Tests' (DTPTs ;) ) and he has been failing miserably from what you have seen. It is likely that he thinks you are directly or indirectly responsible for every bit of bad luck he has encountered in the last few weeks (if not months). In essence you are everywhere. :lol:

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Hm, how old are Maya and Anansi? How long do we have until these children take over the world?

Maya is eight. Anansi is nine. So at least a few years yet. ;)

Nevill said:
And we should name our eagles if Lyssa didn't already. They clearly have personalities of their own, and their services have proven invaluable. I wonder if our team members could each pick their favorite among them to act as their familiars. I know they are ultimately Lyssa's, but, but... maybe if we ask her really nicely, she'll let us?

They all have names and personalities. It you want I could list that information.

If you want a proper familiar then you will have to pick up at least a few animal spells to get the most out of them.

If you asked Lyssa for one of her pets she would be reluctant but might agree if she really trusts you. The larger hurdle would actually be convincing the eagle to leave Lyssa as once an animal is bonded that way they do not generally change masters. You could always get your own familiar(s)/pet(s) though if you really want to.

Nevill

Arcane
Gullveig claims that it was all chance but I know better! I know that it was a trap! The publication of Blackrock's change in ownership was a mere ploy, a ruse to draw us out! It has to be! No one could be that lucky! No one could be that foolish!
Yet another falls victim to a futile attempt at understanding the workings of the codexian Hivemind. :lol:

They all have names and personalities. It you want I could list that information.
Sure. They have done more than enough to earn it. Not every human can boast they have killed an archmage.

3. Long term planning. Provided you make it back to the fort without any difficulties (injury/death) you might want to look into plotting your next ploy. It is difficult to say how long this siege may drag on for and there are a few things you could experiment with that may yield interesting results. (You can pick more than one option but it will split the characters' attention and efforts so progress may be slower (checks will be higher) based on the number of things you try to do at once.)
Well, it depends on how reasonably higher the checks would be.

For example, I really want to set in motion my suicide (except not really) mouse bomber plan, for lack of better options to take the TWM out on his next visit. It also allows us to remotely detonate explosives with a proper modification of a 'Retrieve Item' spell. Might be useful.

But the way I see it, different teams working on different tasks should not set the bar up too high. I mean, what help can Berty and our grenadiers/Pathfinders provide us with animal teleportation? What help can we be to them if we have no idea about mechanical devices? Why would that affect the checks in any way?

Now, if we pick two magical tasks with only 3 mages to choose from, or two mechanical tasks - I can see this as splitting our attention.

How many skilled mechanics are there in the Fort? Who would be able to help Astrid fix the mortar if that is at all possible?

Very tempted to rig the building full of explosives instead of testing a theory that we don't know is correct, don't have that many supplies to make it work, don't have the numbers to pull it off effectively, and don't have the spells to really do damage to an army that is just barely short of a thousand bodies. Still, it might have some unexpected results. Channeling our combined spells at their maximum efficiency could do a fair bit of damage, but can we target the mages? They are the ones that will give us trouble.

On the other hand, the explosives are set to detonate in case a shot is ready to be fired, which means there will be a guaranteed mage inside. Maybe even several. It might be worth the risk.

The diary might contain the information on how the White Mage came to be. Seeing how we are short on any leads on how to end him permanently, discarding it would be a folly of a highest caliber. We might want to consider that it was left there on purpose, though. After all, why would the wards be there if TWM didn't expect anyone to read it? Unfortunately, we can't send it away, since it might contain some rather sensitive information... or can we?

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I agree with Nevill that we shouldn't waste energon cubes and put ourselves at risk trying to use their pagoda cannon untrained. I think the army seeing us leaving the structure would increase the chance that they would take a closer look for our explosives then if we just booby trapped it and cleared out before they arrived.

The book we keep but don't attempt to do anything with it till after we are free of the risk of direct combat. If there is some type of trap spell that can kill or disable us we don't want to be taken out during the siege and leave our defenders mageless. We should put it back in the case and lock it up. We can take it to the academy if we survive and have them help us open it.

I liked Nevill's rat saboteur plan. I think we can do animal gate and explosives with our girls and the pathfinders and then let Lyssa build us a focus.

Votes:

1.Ai
2.A
3.ABD

archaen

Cipher
Patron
It also sounds like if we take out this secondary temple we might not have a problem with our stalker reincarnating. Maybe we should put some effort into finding it.

It also occurs to me a rat with a ring of fire bolt would be a better failsafe for our trap then spending time rigging a secondary trap. He hangs out in a hole with line of sight on the structure and if he sees anyone digging out our explosives, he fires the bolt to detonate and then runs for the keep and the eagle retrieves him. Lyssa would have to make the call if she thought the rat was smart enough to follow those orders.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It occurs to me, that if we keep keeping TWM amused, Mazzarin will have time to find and destroy the secondary temple at his leisure. I'm quite certain Mazzarin is pleased with us so far, keeping TWM focused on us.

Nevill

Arcane
I am not sure Mazzarin even knows who TWM is. I mean, he is all about the size of his magical penis as compared to others, and the Creature hardly breaks any records, being weaker than even the weakest of the Shades.

THe reason TWM is dangerous is because he is capable of thinking outside of the box... when he bothers to do so. It is certainly the craftiest of our opponents to date, sans Miosguinn.

I don't want to pursue too many plans at once. I think spending a week to construct a focus is not feasible in our circumstances, and the willpower boost is a poor compensation for the raw power the Shades possess. We are better off not confronting them directly at all.

Researching the White Mage's journal may prove rewarding, and even crucial to our victory - but I still believe it was meant to be picked by us, and the single sheet of paper was meant to ensure we will take it with us in case of the Creature's demise. I am afraid of the implications that might follow.

Does anyone have any idea of how to sneak our Stoneheim troops in without a Gate Spell? Maybe we should try that avenue of research.

Aii A BD for now.

It also occurs to me a rat with a ring of fire bolt would be a better failsafe for our trap then spending time rigging a secondary trap. He hangs out in a hole with line of sight on the structure and if he sees anyone digging out our explosives, he fires the bolt to detonate and then runs for the keep and the eagle retrieves him. Lyssa would have to make the call if she thought the rat was smart enough to follow those orders.
The structure is not yet finished. By the time it will be, the place will be crawling with the undead. There is no guarantee we would be able to send anyone to activate the trap when we need it - or that they would be able to remain undetected until then, if we go with the ambush.

I am still debating whether to go Ai or Aii, but I don't see a reasonable alternative just yet.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
The foci are for when the dwarf army comes to break the siege and we need to sally forth to keep them from escaping. This gives us a much bigger casting pool and massive will saves. Worse case scenario the keep falls and it wouldn't matter anyway. If we don't need them and make them at least we have them for the future.

Nevill

Arcane
I thought about whether or not I want to pursue them in this case... and I don't.

With the main temple destroyed, a dwarven army entrenched in the mountains, and Mazzarin waiting for them around the corner, I am considering our job here done.

Really, we are way, way over our heads here. I'd like to survive, first, and then worry about what to do with the remnants of the broken undead army.

The funny thing is that if anyone else shares the TWM's sentiments about us being key to Mazzarin's plans, I think they might be willing not to withdraw even when the army shows up.

We only have 3 mages to work with, so I'd like to concentrate on one task at a time. It would be nice to have foci, sure; it would also be nice to do Gate research and look into the journal, but I don't know if we have enough time and resourses for everything.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom