Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aod News Main Thread

Weasel
:lol: Hivers gonna Hiver....
Lol that's Hiver? :D Why did he left the codex btw?

Spoilered for those who only want to read about AOD here, not Codex lunatics:
He made a thread in site feedback complaining that his "anti GOT thread" was merged with the main GOT thread. DU said 'k and exiled him to Prosperland where he could make any number of GOT threads. This was the final straw for Hiver (after the white knight / dumbfuck tags) and he refused to post again, after altering his status to blame "Codex turds".

Since then he has been taking out his unique brand of wrath on the AOD / Larian / RPS etc forums.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You guys are talking a lot recently about that spaceship game... I hope it does happen.:)

Which spaceship game is that?
Colony ship idea. IIRC Vault Dweller described it as a colony ship that takes many generations to reach its destination and the game will pick up when the ship's inhabitants are generations away from the planet their ancestors left (Earth? I don't remember) and I guess will explore the social dynamics of such a situation.

likaq

Arcane
IF we do another AoD game, it will explore the Qantari culture, which is indeed based on the Aztecs. It will take place before the events of the first game.

You'll be one of the members of a trading expedition sent to Qantar (like in AoD you'll select one of the available backgrounds: one of the merchants, a mercenary hired to protect the expedition, a praetor representing House Crassus' interests, a loremaster to read the stars and navigate the ship, a slave, etc.

Since the Qantari played a large role in the events mentioned in the first game, we've always 'planned' (which is a very strong word) to have a second game to show the events from the Qantari's perspective, explore their culture, and expand the lore.

Overall, if the Elder Gods are willing, we're planning to make a quick dungeon crawler, then a colony ship RPG, then another AoD game.

:love:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,5145.0.html

likaq

Arcane
Only 13,111 copies sold so far.

:fuuyeah::(:(:(

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
VD:

Our update schedule goes something like this:

June - Hellgate (bring the nullifier) and Dead River (bring Feng's amulet or the fancy gem from Maadoran)
July - extra Ganezzar content (tower infiltration, fight with fake Meru, Miltiades, extra options for the existing quests, etc).
August - the Temple and the related content elsewhere (the arch, the mountain monastery's inner chamber, console in the tower, teleporter in the sewers, the endgame content in the cities).

likaq

Arcane
thank-you-captain-obvious-1

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller has made a really interesting post about what would have been if they could afford voice actors:

Axa said:
I remember reading something about plans to have intro voice-overs for some or all characters. Unfortunately, we'll never hear Zamedi demon's mellifluous voice.

Care to share how some of the characters would sound like (faction leaders, demon, Miltiades, ...)?
Vault Dweller said:
Not much to tell since it didn't materialize. Here is what we asked for:

Antidas is a warrior-king type (the only problem is that he isn't very good at). He should speak like a military man - confident, frank, powerful, accustomed to be obeyed.

Gaelius is a politician. Well-set voice, smooth, manipulative, charismatic, accustomed to make a strong effect on weaker minds. When he says "today I rule this, tomorrow I will rule that", it's not a boast or a threat. He says it matter-of-factly, as if trying to make you to understand why a guy like him, a guy who has it all, will never do anything of that sort (use 'magic'). He just doesn't need this ♥♥♥♥.

Meru is a religious fanatic. Not in a 2-bit way, but more like Cromwell - a man who used his faith and convictions with great effect, doing the unthinkable (executing a king). He is soft-spoken and sounds like a kind uncle, but he is anything but. Ideally, I'd like his voice change, shifting from a softer intro to more menacing when he says "who'd raise a hand..."

Lorenza - clever, manipulative, disdainful. The difference between her and Gaelius, for example, is that he was given everything and had to manipulate others to keep what he was given and grow it, whereas Lorenza had to do it to survive and stay one step ahead of the competition and assassins.

The demon is a construct, but he's fairly sarcastic and arrogant. He's toying with you and enjoying it. Think of our attempts to give personality and human voice to iphones (Siri and such). Similarly, the magus who crafted the construct wouldn't want him to sound robotic. Its inhumanity should be in rapidly shifting intonations. For example:

“Destroy. Kill. Render inanimate. Do you have any preferences? I am an expert in such matters, so if there is some sort of demise you would enjoy more, I am happy to oblige. I am familiar with more than a thousand ways to end a human life, and I am sure that I am capable of accommodating even the most exotic requests.“
“Since it’s unlikely that you can understand the concept of a silicon-based life form, consider me a “stone guardian“. I was created by the master of this tower, though he appears to be long gone. Such is the nature of flesh - it doesn't last. Stone, on the other hand, lasts forever. A gift and a curse at the same time, really."

"destroy, kill, render..." - unemotional, list-like, like explaining the meaning of a word to a dumb person

"do you have any preference" - helpful, eager to be of service

"I'm an expert..." - arrogant

"if there is some sort of demise..." - helpful again

"such is the nature of flesh..." - fake sadness

"stone, on the other hand..." - fake humility changing to pride

Which relates well to RPG Codex news about that interview: https://web.archive.org/web/20110226005800/http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/714/714762p1.html

Hazelnut said:
I don't want to dismiss voice over out of hand, so I'll simply ask - is this partial or full you're considering?
Only for really important characters. 20-30 NPCs. Only if it's affordable and good (passes the Codex test). One of the reasons I'm considering it is, as Galsiah pointed out, the writing suddenly makes sense if you *hear* it, if you imagine this character actually saying it, not read the dialogues as prose. In this particular case, VO can help a lot. Anyway, just a thought.
Can I do a voice over?
Do you have a pleasant, sexy voice with seductive qualities? Seriously though, the voice overs would be recorded in a studio and managed by a guy who handles our music and sound effects. Unless you live in Missouri, I don't think it will be possible.

I knew that bookmarking that thread would come in handy one day. BTW, thanks [B]felipepepe[/B] for your superb article. Not only it's insightful, interesting and informative but it also has many useful links.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
And Crooked Bee could voice Lorenza, she has a soft, beautiful voice after all. As for Militiades, I think that DarkUnderlord would be a good candidate, his voice sounds sleazy enough.

Helton

Arcane
I live in Missouri and have a sexy, seductive voice with pleasant arrogant, falsely humble, feigned sadness, unemotional, list-like qualities.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's out!

What do you mean, except the temple? What temple is that, is hellgate a temple? show us the patch notes, concerned gamers must know!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom