Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing through TOEE with CO8

roshan

Arcane
Just installed Temple of Elemental Evil, thought I would give it a shot with some mods since when I played it before, I thought it was boring, uninspired, and too easy.

I've installed CO8, activated and launched it through TFE-X, but how do I know I am actually playing the mod? There is no change to the title screen, nothing different is obvious.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't remember if it changes the title screen, but you could increase the self generated party size to 6 in the mod menu and check if you can add 6 party members upon character creation.

But really if you followed the installation instructions step by step it should be active.

roshan

Arcane
OK another question - what are really good character builds? I'm a powergamer. Just got a roll of 18,16,16,16,14,13 - what's a good character to build with these stats? I remember before a fighter with long polearms and the right feats was really effective?

roshan

Arcane
Also, which of the dialogue skills are actually useful to have?

Raggg

Novice
OK another question - what are really good character builds? I'm a powergamer. Just got a roll of 18,16,16,16,14,13 - what's a good character to build with these stats? I remember before a fighter with long polearms and the right feats was really effective?
There's no reason to not use a reach weapon. Wizard of course is essential, Web is amazing at low levels as well as Druids' Entangling Roots. IIRC last time I ran with Fighter Paladin Cleric (all three with reach weapon, I forget which one is best but I think it might be Glaive) Wizard Druid Bard (as face char, not really needed if you're powergaming I think) and it did fairly well.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Fighter with spiked chain and the feat that gives additional AOOs dependant on dexterity was fun. It pays to make use of trip. But in the early game to-hits are really bad. Once you get to higher levels with magically crafted weapons he'll don't afraid of anything. You might splash in some paladin levels for better will saves and immunity to fear. With CO8 you can use a buckler while wielding two-handed weapons, so you don't miss out on some extra defense and magical buffs. Otherwise all caster classes are good and at least one rogue is very useful.
Also, which of the dialogue skills are actually useful to have?
Lets say it this way: the game will check for all of them. I'd make a high int rogue as a talker (human or elf). Bard is of course also an option. But you can also "simply" kill everything.

roshan

Arcane
There's no reason to not use a reach weapon. Wizard of course is essential, Web is amazing at low levels as well as Druids' Entangling Roots. IIRC last time I ran with Fighter Paladin Cleric (all three with reach weapon, I forget which one is best but I think it might be Glaive) Wizard Druid Bard (as face char, not really needed if you're powergaming I think) and it did fairly well.

There seems to be very little info on the reach weapons. What makes the glaive better? Does it have longer reach than the ranseur, scythe, halberd, guisarme etc? Or is it just better because of the 1d10 damage?

Raggg

Novice

There seems to be very little info on the reach weapons. What makes the glaive better? Does it have longer reach than the ranseur, scythe, halberd, guisarme etc? Or is it just better because of the 1d10 damage?
Yup, the damage. All reach weapons have the same reach I think (10ft), also unlike pnp you can attack things closer than 5ft, so its strictly better in every way, stack it with enlarge for mondo reach.

Oh and make sure you pick up some crafting shit on your casters so you can get those +5 glaives or whatever you want. IIRC the absolute best stuff you can make is holy axiomatic weapons, which require that you get specific domains on your Cleric. I forget which.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
enlarge person, especially if it is the sorceror or bard version is godly with reach weapons a dual wield (!). And if you can get great cleave too, it's just sick (which might be better than dual wield first because it takes fewer feats before being effective).
Hit twice - actually hit many times since bards get a nice attacks per round progression (or with great cleave hit as many as you can kill + 1)
five foot step away
AoO - (there is something special here if you specialize in greatswords instead) - since ToEE AI is too dumb to use five foot step itself
repeat

I also tried some cheat npc with monk attacks per round + dex AR rating with a exotic specialization that works with monk flurry just to see how many attacks per round i could get. It was ten or eleven? I can't remember.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
IIRC the absolute best stuff you can make is holy axiomatic weapons, which require that you get specific domains on your Cleric. I forget which.
You need Good for holy and Law for axiomatic iirc, I think you also have to be lawful and good respectively, not only have the domains

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Holy-axio is good for all the CE-aligned enemies you'll encounter, but not gonna do much against neutral elementals, like DR 15/- galeb dur. For those, you're gonna want elemental burst weapons and fullcranked power attack.

roshan

Arcane
I seem to have some issue with the game, I installed the game, applied the CO8 modpack, then applied the patch to it. There's a bug though, the boxes that should be labeled STR, CON, etc, have no labels. Has anyone had this issue before?

1y4745.jpg

Sodafish

Arcane
I've always meant to actually play through TOEE, but every time I try the soul crushing combination of Hommlet's utter banality and the terribad CtH in the early few levels always just makes me uninstall in disgust as it's simply no fun at all. I suppose I could always console level up the party a bit and skip Hommlet crap altogether but one's monocle slips off the face at the thought.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ahahahaha, couldn't fit the abbreviations so they cut it out Ahahahaha

oh wow

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If the cheat still works what's the fucking point of this. I had assumed that, in a flutter of anal butthurt, they had decided to disable the cheat.

roshan

Arcane
Man, this completely fucking sucks. Spellcasting seems to be totally . Many times, when I select spells (they're green, so I assume I can cast them?) the cursor doesn't turn into the spellcasting wand. Then I click on enemies (or my characters, in case of buff spells) and nothing happens, there's just a small blue arrowed circle below my character pointing towards where the cursor is. Then I need to run around 2-3 times, and then select the spells (cursor still doesn't turn into a wand), click the character I want to buff several times furiously, and then the fucking spell casts.

roshan

Arcane
Alright, now I'm in the dungeon. My party is already sixth level, but I assume that even without mod content, my characters would already be 5th level at least. However, the encounters in the Earth temple still seem to be designed for a first level party. The only one that where my characters were actually harmed was in one battle against a bunch of ghouls and ghasts. I had to play through it twice, mostly because I had characters who were already low on health, with few remaining spells and didn't realize that there were ghasts mixed in among the ghouls. I reloaded and winning was not such a big deal at all.

There was one encounter with a dire rat. Seriously? A single dire rat against a 4-6th level party? Another with one torturer and a bugbear. Another with a bunch of spiders. Another with a long corridor of skeletons. After playing through half of the corridor, I decided to just nuke the rest of it with a fireball and finish off the excruciating boredom and tedium that comes from playing through battles with trash mobs so easy that they cannot even scratch my party in slow turn based mode. At least Arcanum had real time for dealing with shit like this. TOEE has fireball though, which also let me quickly finish off a room full of goblins and a single ogre.

I also just discovered my fighter's AWSUM button. Whirlwind attack was never so cool in real time mode. I just got the ability, and to test it out, marched my enlarged reach fighter right into a room full of ghouls. Couple of rounds of whirlwind attack and all were dead. Too bad it seems like the game won't be providing any challenges worthy of such an ability. At best I will probably just be using it to mow down trash mobs. :( Skeletons, goblins, bugbears, spiders, ghouls are not at all a challenge for any party above 2nd level.

Overall, this game basically combines the worst combat encounters ever with perhaps the best combat system of all time in an RPG. What a pathetic waste.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Uh, the original game was lvlcap 10, assuming you did all quests you would be lvl3 when you begin Moathouse and about 4-6 when you begin Temple.

If you're lvl6 already, then I assume you did Co8 added/restored content.

Co8 isn't balanced, as you probably guessed. I hope you didn't extend lvlcap to 20, it's a faceroll. I can confirm Co8 is doable with lvl10 party.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Overall, this game basically combines the worst combat encounters ever with perhaps the best combat system of all time in an RPG.

I largely agree with this. The system permits us to deal with the shit encounters. I don't know if they are the worst ever but they are definitely shit, especially compared to the rules implementation. Just wait till later, when you face 345 Bugbears and kobolds in a marathon shit encounter. You will laugh and you will cry for what could have been. Just imagine KoTC encounters with this combat.

If you haven't tried it, get and play KoTC ASAP. Don't forget to get the alternate (readable) fonts.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Am curious, would there be demand for a mod that tossed strict rules and p&p material adherence out the window and buffed the encounters to hell but sans the xp inflation?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"best combat system of all time in an RPG"

Good god no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom