Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, screw it. :argh:
Going with original 4e ruleset (including diagonal 1-1 movements) after several of my friends threw a fit and present a convincing argument over the difficulty of changing every single thing in 4e combat system to save time on art.
Going to throw away all my previous character art and animations since it is too tedious to draw art and animations of that quality (yes, yes, i know) for all possible 8 directions of facing.
Lazy bastards not even offering to help on that. :negative:

Since I am going with the original ruleset, might as well ditch facing.
Now, I am hoping people can at least tolerate south park lazy ass style of movement/animation + 32-bit pixel art for some sweet 4e style combat, something I hope goes well together better than diarrhea and thirst.

Looks like a Humble Bundle scrap.

I see you find my artistic inadequacy amusing.
Thanks for your generous input if nothing else.

Your new TBS? http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/460

It seems that you recycle the old project.

Nah, just the same artstyle and crap artist.
Also reusing and recoloring of most of GT art assets which is allowed by their rules.
If you notice or play the Super nuclear riders short game, most of gangster tactics stuff never make it into there since I make it from scratch since I need to make a small game without Gangster Tactics stats complexity. There is simply not enough time for that.
The only code-related stuff that made it there is save & load scripts, controls scripts, quit scripts, buttons layout scripts, movement scripts, dialogue scripts and objective showcase scripts.
Thankfully, I have to foresight to create Gangster Tactics from the very start using script-based style coding which allow great portability of the scripts to any of my game.
It also make my code look goddamn clean as I can easily see who referenced what.
Learn to do that after taking a one week break for gaming before and come back to a project and have no idea what the hell my previous self is drinking to create such a mess of a code.

Going to use old characters asset after all for now at least.
Too hard to make new character design that does not look uglier than my previous one.
I am thinking of sucking up my pride (at least the tiny fragment left of it) and ask for partnership with an artist via deviantart and pixeljoint to work on my new idea.
On the meanwhile, here's a gif to show how diagonal movement works later on the new game prototype using recent old assets.
wKajPdP.gif

Still doing UI design for combat.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Made some music for this game about a month ago in my spare time (the two songs in the trailer). There's a pretty sad article about the game on their site. Apparently it hasn't done so well. My work was contract so I'm not going to get paid if you buy it, but you should check it out just to support them. There are a lot of cheap leaps of faith and the goal of each level is to collect all the diamonds, which can be extremely tedious, but they clearly put their hearts into it and the graphics for the new levels they've added (Genesis, SNES and Amiga) are unbelievable. I had a kind of strange relationship with the creators, I emailed them about working on it and they didn't get back to me for a month and they took a little longer to pay than I'm used to, but I don't want to see the game tank :(

Too hard to make new character design that does not look uglier than my previous one.
I am thinking of sucking up my pride (at least the tiny fragment left of it) and ask for partnership with an artist via deviantart and pixeljoint to work on my new idea.
On the meanwhile, here's a gif to show how diagonal movement works later on the new game prototype using recent old assets.
wKajPdP.gif

If you use these assets (and idle animations), you could choose as the setting of your game some kind of crossover between Power Rangers and Lord of the Dance. That'd be one that isn't done to death yet like generic fantasy or zombies.

As for the walking animations... in that gif at least they do look just fine. If the overall visual style stays as that kind of retro pixel art, I wouldn't worry about not having separate walking animations for all eight directions.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
wKajPdP.gif

If you use these assets (and idle animations), you could choose as the setting of your game some kind of crossover between Power Rangers and Lord of the Dance. That'd be one that isn't done to death yet like generic fantasy or zombies.

As for the walking animations... in that gif at least they do look just fine. If the overall visual style stays as that kind of retro pixel art, I wouldn't worry about not having separate walking animations for all eight directions.

PLS PLS SUPER SENTAI DANCE GANG RPG.

something like Superhero League of Hoboken but much better.

Well, I lured an artist into a partnership discussion, let's see what's going to happen next.

PLS PLS SUPER SENTAI DANCE GANG RPG.

something like Superhero League of Hoboken but much better.

A short one is already done, the link is on my signature.

The main storyline and setting for the 4e-like new game I am making is even better than that, imo.

my expanded fiferpg demo that includes intense phase based movement combat. Even includes an extremely fitting accidental soundtrack that bandicam felt like it needed to include ;)

Last edited:
Wow, another isometric TBS dev
Truly the year of the incline.

Just finished rippi *ahem* inspired by 4e rules and translated a lot of the rules into digital version. So many trigger rules to do.
Shit, I may just try to make trigger warning the video game.

Finished the mockup for the combat UI.
291jMVH.png

Feel free to give crits or just mock my art.
Fishing for artist plan is an abject failure since all competent ones require a lot of $$$ upfront.
So, I guess I am the artist for this game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
mix-match of pixel "sizes" gives me aids and cancer

Destroid

Arcane
Finished the mockup for the combat UI.
291jMVH.png

Feel free to give crits or just mock my art.
Fishing for artist plan is an abject failure since all competent ones require a lot of $$$ upfront.
So, I guess I am the artist for this game.

I don't see why you need an artist, this is all perfectly serviceable for cutesy looking pixel games.

I don't see why you need an artist, this is all perfectly serviceable for cutesy looking pixel games.

The portrait quality or lack of tells the reason why.
I am a coder by trade. I can move pixels or blocks of colors. Hence the low resolution and art style.
If you ask me to actually draw, especially in high resolution, i hope you like kindergarten grade/architect art.

Finished porting over the dialogue system, the settings and controls and other core game engine stuff to the new game.
For keyboard controls, I am using PCSX2 default keyboard bindings as my default.

Here's a new gif to show the dialogue system in action.

Trigger warning : trigger warning
BxLotD3.gif

J1M

Arcane
The camera movement each time a new character speaks is really annoying.

The camera movement each time a new character speaks is really annoying.

The jerkiness in the gif is largely due to LICEcap crappy recording, it does not record at true 60 fps despite its lies.

It look better in action in actual play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom