Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wayne Reynolds is like the Wolverine of the art world. He's the best there is at what he does. But what he does best isn't very nice.

:decline:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
These are real mages:
Also, by the King himself:
tumblr_mqip14wtsK1scpq9co1_1280.jpg

Alchemist

Arcane
Funny hats do help in matters of magic. But high collars are also a prime requisite for true wizardry.

zwqh5sZ.jpg

Jeff Easley knew this:
ztpB0dW.jpg

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Ok guys, the D&D 5e alpha PHB has been leaked. It's the alpha version, so it doesn't have art and some rules will likely change in the final PHB release next month.

However, as of now this is sufficient to run a game, as it contains most of the rest of the classes, all the advanced options, and feats. I won't link it here but I am sure you can google fu it.

Melan Ulminati Grunker Major_Blackhart Scrooge Night Goat LeStryfe79 Don Peste Alchemist

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Ok guys, the D&D 5e alpha PHB has been leaked. It's the alpha version, so it doesn't have art and some rules will likely change in the final PHB release next month.

However, as of now this is sufficient to run a game, as it contains most of the rest of the classes, all the advanced options, and feats. I won't link it here but I am sure you can google fu it.
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've heard this alpha is quite out of date though, from like February or so. I'm probably just going to wait to read the real final version.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The Paladin doesn't look all that bad actually. Though the oath features are out of whack in terms of power level. The oath of vengeance earlier features are weaker that the oath of devotions, but the last feature which you get at level 20 basically transforms you into an angel for an hour a day. The Paladin is all about smiting though, and while I don't like spell casting Paladins, this time the spell slots are basically fuel for smites and extra spell smites on top of that. SO you can just ignore the other spells and just use the slots to smite, and maybe add in a spell smite atop that or apart from that. Can't wait to play one in a Ravenloft game.

The Sorcerer is now much different from the wizard. Spells are the same mostly, but the sorceror now is the metamagic using character. Only he can use the old metamagic feats (which are class abilities for him now) and he can choose them starting at level 3. Interestingly he can choose in any order. So if you want empower spell first, you can take it. It is also possible to use multiple metamagic feats in a round.

Warlock looks ok, not as good as I had hoped. The pacts are nice though. I want more unique invocations revolving around the pacts. Hopefully the final release will have more. But over all the warlock is too focused and bareboned. Aside from his EB, he's not all that powerful. And to be honest unless I missed something, a Wizard can have an eldritch blast or firebolt almost as powerful as the warlock. The warlock can only modify distance and a couple other things, not damage that much. I hope this is rectified (and that wizard getting the EB cantrip is an error/type)

Druid looks somewhat ok...it's weird, I preferred the playtest druid. It seems to be weaker, or maybe it's just me. No way anyone will choose anything other than druid of the moon though. I hope they give us lots of wildshapes to choose from.

Bard got a big boost. A big overhaul in it's spell list, and spells uptill 9th level. And a host of other abilities plus songs.

Feats...are hit and miss. A couple are ok, some are weak, and some allow you to do something you cannot do otherwise but should be able to. For example, charging now requires a feat! Feats are much more precious now, you only get a bare few of them. And they are optional to boot.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've heard this alpha is quite out of date though, from like February or so. I'm probably just going to wait to read the real final version.

It's not really out of date. Everything in it matches the Basic PDF. The only changes that will be there will be minor. This is it. (oh and it is missing backgrounds, but the Basic PDF has those)

Alchemist

Arcane

It's not really out of date. Everything in it matches the Basic PDF. The only changes that will be there will be minor. This is it. (oh and it is missing backgrounds, but the Basic PDF has those)
Hmm, even if that's true, I'm fine with waiting. I plan to experience the first read just like old times, sitting back in a comfy chair with a real book (with proper art and layout) in hand. I find I absorb rulebooks better that way.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

Hmm, even if that's true, I'm fine with waiting. I plan to experience the first read just like old times, sitting back in a comfy chair with a real book (with proper art and layout) in hand. I find I absorb rulebooks better that way.

Actually bro you are right. There are changes from the alpha PHB and the Basic PDF. For instance, Dwarves in the BPDF get an extra proficiency or something. Plus the bonus from this feat, which was just recently previewed, have been changed slightly:

10499423_10152544263436071_3802829063249818585_o.jpg

In the PHB leak this feat gives a d6 damage dice and also grants advantage against getting drunk. (wish they had kept the PHB version as it was much better)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Meet the new D&D Next Iconic ranger character:

10325260_10152496571526071_8983892837449015744_n.jpg

Yes, those are dreadlocks underneath that turban. That's right folks, in the medieval age black guys had dreadlocks and wore turbans.

:incloosive:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just read that crap about transgender in 5e. What the hell people. This is still a medieval fantasy world, why do people want to play bubblegum world?! In my campaign being a transsexual that runs around telling everyone he / she is a tranny, would probably get that character killed. Racism and sexism are standard in my campaign, this is not "tumblr - the tabletop game".

Misconnected

Savant
Just read that crap about transgender in 5e. What the hell people. This is still a medieval fantasy world, why do people want to play bubblegum world?! In my campaign being a transsexual that runs around telling everyone he / she is a tranny, would probably get that character killed. Racism and sexism are standard in my campaign, this is not "tumblr - the tabletop game".

In my Dark Heresy campaign, there's no Gunmetal Hive on Scintilla and Bolt Weapons aren't produced anywhere on the planet. That this is contrary to the published fluff has somehow failed to be even slightly problematic over the years.

Point being: I very much doubt anyone will force Published Shit Orthodoxy on you.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Do we really need iconic characters? They're usually terrible, and unlike most badly-designed characters who only show up once, we have to see iconics again and again.

I don't know if this is better or worse than Pathfinder's ranger - a dwarf with a crossbow - when it comes to designers failing to understand their own game's mechanics. Is dual-wielding scimitars something that anyone (who isn't a Drizz't fanboy) would ever do in 5e?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well you're free to make any setting you want. Is there a reason that a fantasy setting needs anti-tranny sentiment?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well you're free to make any setting you want. Is there a reason that a fantasy setting needs anti-tranny sentiment?

Of course not. It's just that I cannot understand why anyone would want to play a sjw setting, I prefer to play, hmm, more gritty settings - dunno if that's the right word, I probably sound super edgy right now.

But of course anyone is free to play whatever he wants, doesn't mean I can apprehend it tho, I also cannot understand how anyone could play a pure story based P&P without a real rule system or enjoy Dragon Age 2 for example, so hey :)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Do we really need iconic characters? They're usually terrible, and unlike most badly-designed characters who only show up once, we have to see iconics again and again.

I don't know if this is better or worse than Pathfinder's ranger - a dwarf with a crossbow - when it comes to designers failing to understand their own game's mechanics. Is dual-wielding scimitars something that anyone (who isn't a Drizz't fanboy) would ever do in 5e?

Given the stats of Scimitars in 5e sadly, probably everyone. Scimitars have 1d6 damage compared to a longswords 1d8, however Scimitars have the Finesse and Light properties. Meaning they are custom designed to be dual wielded and can use DEX instead of STR for attack rolls (Finesse property). Yeah, I wonder why that is. :rollseyes:

Yeah they are really pushing the elves are genderqueer thing. (or whatever it is, you know what i mean)

WOTC is really desperate. 4e lost quite a bit of market share to Pathfinder and 3e, along with older editions. It is sad, because they had a great thing with 4e and had they built on that and improved on it's flaws, it could have been a great, great game. Now they are desperately putting their eggs in the 5e basket. If they cannot regain their market cap D&D will be put on ice for a long time by HASBRO. (they would never sell it off ofcourse, it could still make some $$$ from supplementary products like vidya games or maybe even movies)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Half the people I played with in highschool were queer. I even got mildly molested a few times. It's the price one had to pay for good D&D back in the day.

Alchemist

Arcane

Yes, those are dreadlocks underneath that turban. That's right folks, in the medieval age black guys had dreadlocks and wore turbans.

Do they say anywhere that it's an iconic though? I seriously hope they don't use iconics at all. It's one of the worst inventions of the 3E era.
Agreed - and it's just incredibly boring to see the same characters over and over again in the art. Also as an artist I'd hate drawing the same characters all the time. The game is supposed to be about characters made by players, not by WotC. Paizo is the worst offender on this though - I'm so tired of their iconics at this point.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Why not just stop this pussyfooting and go in all the way?

K8dCIfd.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Of course not. It's just that I cannot understand why anyone would want to play a sjw setting, I prefer to play, hmm, more gritty settings - dunno if that's the right word, I probably sound super edgy right now.

But of course anyone is free to play whatever he wants, doesn't mean I can apprehend it tho, I also cannot understand how anyone could play a pure story based P&P without a real rule system or enjoy Dragon Age 2 for example, so hey :)

Indeed. Anyone who has wanted to play as a tranny in D&D will have done so since 1st edition, with no rule issues whatsoever. That text in the PHB feels like it's just about pandering to SJWs rather than to actually support players who want to play gender-bending characters.

Alex

Arcane
Indeed. Anyone who has wanted to play as a tranny in D&D will have done so since 1st edition, with no rule issues whatsoever.

Well, to be fair, girdles of masculinity/feminity, and a few other magical effects could get in the way...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom