Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Ultimate General: Gettysburg shows some footage

Wasn't it his first game with a limited budget and team?

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Morning, July 2 1863 (Three Rounds)

QR0wJuI.png

Well, there's ten dorrah I won't be getting back. Great concept, underwhelming game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was that fast-paced; after two-hours I was on the third day. Cluttered is more like it -- units tend to bunch up and congest a little too easily. The game needs a pivot movement key; it might have one and I just haven't found it, though.

I didn't finish the battle as it was taking a bit too long, but on "Balanced" the AI was solid, though not nearly all that aggressive (I played as the Union). I can imagine if you amp up aggression the difficulty would definitely increase; at least when you're playing the Union.

Game needs some multiplayer. Hopefully the base template will allow it to expand.

For what is essentially a beta, I thought it was pretty solid.

Executr

Cipher
Released yesterday. Anybody here tried this version already? How is it?

Executr

Cipher
I played a bit week or two ago. Its good but needed more time, particularly with regard to Union AI

Thanks. Its not that I'm very interested in that time setting or the war itself, but I was curious how the game turned out, particularly the AI, since this was made by that guy Darth modder of Total War games.
While many say his mods saved the Total War games, I did try his mod for Shogun 2 and didn't noticed significant changes.

Oh well, I'll buy this in a sale and see for myself.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's alright. Still a little too fast paced, and the touchpad design of it still kinda bugs mes. Troops frequently have difficulty holding formation if they clutter together. Haven't played multiplayer yet. I imagine playing as the Union would be very difficult against a human player. The speed of the game suits offensive maneuvers and Confederate troops straight up kick the Union's ass in melee and basically everything. First day I had Pettigrew's brigade crash in on the Iron Brigade, Cutler and someone else. It took everything I had to fight them off, even though Pettigrew was by itself. I imagine a smart player would just throw his Confederate troops all-in as fast as possible. In real life, the Confederates were a little more timid in arriving at Gettysburg, neither side necessarily aware a pitched battle was about to take place. In game terms, you know different, and thus you can be proactive and take the initiative as the Confederates while Union troops, historically speaking, still take their time to arrive. Definitely one of the oddities of trying to design a game around Gettysburg. That said, after a few battles you basically have full control over how things play out.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The battles themselves looks ok, and I was going to ask if the battles are linked to each other, if the results carry over and so on.

But I also had a look at this video and there is one huge WTF moment at the end.
After a battle that had clearly turned into a major rout for the Union, a timer runs out and window pops up "major defeat".

Who are they targetting with this? I am certainly not going to play it if it's a dumb rts that only forces me to reach checkpoints in a certain amount of time.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The battles themselves looks ok, and I was going to ask if the battles are linked to each other, if the results carry over and so on.

But I also had a look at this video and there is one huge WTF moment at the end.
After a battle that had clearly turned into a major rout for the Union, a timer runs out and window pops up "major defeat".

Who are they targetting with this? I am certainly not going to play it if it's a dumb rts that only forces me to reach checkpoints in a certain amount of time.

It was a major defeat because he lost the same number of troops as the Union (more or less) and didn't manage to press the field and capture his objectives. All of this is unaffordable for the Confederates on the first day of battle when they have numerical and firepower superiority. Considering the Union starts trucking in reinforcements on days two and three, this is not a good start. While it seems gamey to have to "capture" checkpoints, that's exactly what most of Gettysburg was, a big fight over a handful of victory points.

Burning Bridges

The battle ended at 4pm when a timer ran out, the Union was being pushed from the field in dissarray.
Under normal circumstances the Confederate commander would have pushed on and taken Gettysburg.
Losses were not important in the Civil War. Lee lost more men in any of the 7 days Battles against superior numbers and still it was considered a victory.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The battle ended at 4pm when a timer ran out, the Union was being pushed from the field in dissarray.
Under normal circumstances the Confederate commander would have pushed on and taken Gettysburg.
Losses were not important in the Civil War. Lee lost more men in any of the 7 days Battles against superior numbers and still it was considered a victory.

I mean, historically speaking, that's actually what kinda happened. The Union was in a fairly wild rout at the end of the first day, but they took to the hills. Within the context of a single battle out of multiple (across days), I wouldn't take the 'major defeat' line too seriously.

Also, Seven Days Battle actually showed the Confederates they couldn't suffer disproportionate casualties. I'm not really super well read on Confederate military doctrine, but just by knowing the battles after the early years, the feeling I get is that the Confederates only took on fights they knew they could win without losing too many guys.

Burning Bridges

Good but the major defeat should be replaced with something more appropriate. Like "failed to take day 1 objectives".
Especially when "major defeat" in the context of linked campaigns usually meany you are forced to replay the battle until you get at least minor victory.

Btw I asked about the campaign, do you have the game?
Are the episodes linked like in PG (a) or does the game remember what each side occupied and the losses(b)?
b would of course be preferable

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Wait wait. But we all know that good AI is almost impossible to to make. Which was proved by, you know, top AAA+++ studios like Firaxis with their latest civs, Creative Assembly with total war. There must be some 4chan trolls or homophobic lobby behind this. Secretly funding huge and insanely expensive team of AI developers just to shame this respected, prosperous AAA+++ companies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom