Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I haven't played the Myth games but wasn't there some sort of world knot we were discussing that basically acted as a gate spell?

Fangshi

Arcane
That is correct but it is a 'Gate-like' spell that only connects between the existing knots, the magic involved is similar but different.

Fangshi

Arcane
Update is done I just can not quite get it the way I want it. Anyway, I am going to give it a few more passes and then post it. It should be up within the hour.

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 32: To the Victors

You had expected this to be more difficult really.

This decision was the product of a rather lengthy discussion. You and Thaïs took your time. You weighed up everything you stood to gain and everything you stood to lose by testifying. In the end you decided to give Albrecht your full support. That would mean lying, in front of the assembled lords of the entire kingdom.

From the moment you made that decision to this very instant you carried with you a fear. A fear that you would be found out. That you would make a mistake, that some unknown witness would arrive to undermine you, that some up and coming advocate would cut your story to pieces and leave your mind and soul to bleed out in front of the assembled lords.

You carried this fear for three days.

Today it is gone.

Today you realize that this is not a trial. It is a mere formality, a show, a spectacle.

The hall is beautiful, large mosaics cover most surfaces while the roof is a giant dome plated of precious metals inset with rare gemstones. They glitter like stars in the night sky.

There are fewer lords in their seats around you than there are prisoners arrayed in front of you. You sit with Thaïs and the King on a raised platform at the far end of the hall. These seats, though they are identical to all the rest in the hall are reserved for royalty. You are told it is a great honour to be allowed to sit in them.

On the chamber floor, under the great bronze arches of the domed ceiling before you Argus argues the case of the government.

No one argues for the defence.

They stand, row on row, shackled together in the center of the chamber. Some weep, some plead, some scream, it will do them no good. The lords will have none of it.

Outside you can hear the calls for Eberhardt's head. For the blood of each and every one of the traitors. At the main doors stand a team of criers, it is their job to keep the crowd engaged and angry but they are not alone in their efforts.

To hear Argus tell it the crowd has been infiltrated by House Albrecht agents, they will ensure that public sentiment stays firmly on the government's side and will work to undermine the efforts of any Eberhardt supporters in the crowd.

Inside the hall you survey the lords, trying to gauge the mood of the room; more than anything they look bored. A couple stare on with teary eyes, perhaps they recognize one of the accused, a friend or a colleague. Most however are loyal to Albrecht, they already know where they will cast their votes.

Albrecht today looks nothing like the dwarf you have come to know. Gone are the simple tunics and casual manners. Today he is King first and foremost. His manners are stiff, cold but authoritative. He dress is that of royalty; heavy, beautiful and intimidating. Resting across his lap is the Maul of the Dwarven Kings, brought out specifically for this occasion to remind all assembled of the power he wields.

Argus is giving a rousing speech as he lists off the crimes of the accused. Despite the spectacle playing out before you, you have trouble paying attention. Your eyes are drawn to one of the prisoners. Tall, grey around the temples, he leans on a crutch as he nurses a broken leg. He stands at the head of this small legion of prisoners. He is Eberhardt and he does not take his gaze off of the King. He will not bow, he will not beg, and if a look could kill then the King would be dead a thousand times over. The King for his part completely ignores Eberhardt. He will not even spare him a glance as he sits in judgement over him.

The trial passes slowly but without real incident. Three times you hear the sound of fighting break out from outside the assembly as Eberhardt supporters attempt to start riots and are crushed and murdered for their troubles.

Argus begins with the physical evidence, then moves to the written confessions of Eberhardt's co-conspirators. You recognize Ullr's name and Dacey's but theirs are only two out of almost forty written confessions.

Through it all you spend most of your time counting the tiles in the great mosaics along the walls. The screams of the damned, the chants of the crowd, the laughter and curses of the lords, it all melts away around you. You contemplate why you are here, why you want to ensure that all of those poor souls die. You ask yourself, is it worth it.

These people are your enemies, but is it worth it?

Then they enter and you are dragged back to reality.

Trakk's remaining family, his granddaughter, his son. They are wheeled in to the chamber. There... there is not much left of them.

He took the worst of it and is little more than a torso and head but she was not spared either.

Thaïs lets out a muffled sob, something in her bends just a little. You know exactly how she feels. Not through empathy but through experience. You know exactly how she feels because you know exactly what she feels, the exact memory that made her cry out.

You have that memory, it is not yours, but your friends. Still it feels real, in every way that matters it is real.

You once had a doll, a delicate, porcelain thing that father brought back from the Great Market in Muirthemne. It was more beautiful than words could describe, skin like snow, hair like coal, lips like rose petals. You took it everywhere. One day it fell under the wheels of one of father's carts. You tried to hide it, tried to fix it, tried to glue it back together with a dozen different things from oatmeal to tar. None of it worked and all you were left with was a broken, wet mess.

As you look at Trakk's granddaughter you see that doll in flesh and blood, instead of porcelain.

To ensure she did not try to flee they shredded her little legs, took her tiny feet, amputated her delicate hands and that was only the beginning.

She is in a word, broken.

It is enough to make you sick.

As you stare at her your head begins to spin. Would that have happened to Biliku and Uttu if you fell into the hands of the Eberhardts? If it had not been for Bari...

You close your eyes, center yourself, slow your breathing. This is not your fault, you know that, but it still feels like it.

The two of them give their testimony. They speak of being captured for unknown reasons, of being tortured, of being saved by unseen figures while heavily sedated.

Argus points at you and shouts something about heroes.

The lords stand and applaud.

The King motions for you to stand, you do so numbly. They bring her up to you, she says something but you do not hear it. She hugs you but you do not feel it. With a shaking hand you pat her on the head and mumble some incredibly clichéd words of encouragement that pass from your mind as quickly as they do from your mouth.

The kid smiles at you and you just about collapse.

Thankfully Argus chooses to end this little charade at that exact moment. He takes the child from you as he heads back down to the floor. You are mercifully allowed to once more take your seat as the lords continue to applaud your heroism in saving the poor child.

As the witnesses leave the room Thaïs takes your hand, she squeezes, you squeeze back, it helps.

Any sympathy you had for Eberhardt and his men leaves the room with that child.

You hope they all hang and as Argus calls you both down to the stand you intend to do everything in your power to make sure that happens.

-----------------------------------------------

Your testimony was but the final nail in the coffin.

Eberhardt was never going to leave that room alive and most of his followers were guaranteed to die with him. Your testimonies merely ensured that they would all perish.

Events moved quickly after that. Eberhardt, his entire House and almost all of his allies met their ends. The hangings went on for a day and a half. It was the largest execution in dwarven history.

It is all anyone in the city can talk about so inevitably it becomes the topic of conversation when you next see Mayer.

"By Wyrd you two," he smirks as he picks at his salad, "Not a single one left. From the oldest greybeard to the youngest child amongst them. You certainly are not ones to be trifled with."

"Thank you Mayer," you reply in unison, more than a little discomfort in your voices.

While he pours himself a drink you take the opportunity to ask a few questions, "Mayer, why did no one try to defend Eberhardt?"

He raises an eyebrow at this, "You mean no one explained to you how trials work?"

You both shake your heads and Thaïs innocently adds, "No, Albrecht's people did not and we did not think to ask."

He leans back in his chair, "Well, the reason no one defended Eberhardt is that no one could be found to take up his case. Dwarven law states that a defendant can not defend himself. This is largely done to disadvantage outsiders, if a dwarf will not speak for you then you are worthless in the eyes of the law. Dwarven law also states that an advocate shall receive the same fate as the person he or she represents. This is done to prevent weak cases from making it to trial. Those two principles together ensured that no one would come to Eberhardt's defense."

You mutter, "That would have been nice to know before the trial."

"Would it have changed your decision?" the banker inquires.

"Maybe?" you respond, uncertain.

He causally picks at a bit of spinach caught in his teeth, "Well then. There you go. Perhaps Albrecht is not being entirely honest with you. He is a politician after all and not without skill in his chosen profession."

Thaïs sighs, "So you are saying he manipulated us? Set us against Eberhardt to his own benefit?"

Mayer grins, a rare thing, "Yes, probably. Though can you say for certain that you did not seek to use him as well? Has he actually forced you to do anything?" you shake your heads and he nods, "Everyone wants something ladies. The two of you would do well to remember that. Everyone, wants, something. Even you, even the King, even me."

Since he is in a talkative mood you try to get a bit more out of him, "Well is there anything else we should know, partner?"

He nods, "Yes, the streets are filled with gold now. Over twenty noble houses have been completely extinguished. The Goldsmith Guild has been decimated, even those fools, the Barings, did not escape, dead to the last dwarf. Officially the government is seizing everything for the 'good of the kingdom' but they lack the people to run it all and the remaining noble houses will require payment for their loyalty. Now is the time to see just how much power one can grab for him or herself."

He nods to himself and smiles at the thought of it.

The rest of your lunch is spent discussing the finer points of your strategy going forward. Mayer lays out a few options you could pursue and after a great deal of discussion you settle upon a path.

-----------------------------------------------

Your return to the palace sees you bombarded with questions from a variety of quarters.

One of your attendants, though you often think of them as jailers, wants to know if you require anything from the shops in the city. Another reminds you that Lyssa is waiting on you to take care of today's enchantments. A third chimes in that Mr. 'Levy' has taken up residence in you wing of the palace and has taken to the training of the girls with aplomb. The forth informs you that the fellows at the academy have received your data on the Oneiroi spell and will begin analyzing it as soon as possible.

You have a lot to do but decide to see Lyssa first, it would be good to catch up with her.

------------------------------------------------

You find the mage on the roof of the palace talking to her birds. She smiles and waves as you approach.

You return her greeting, "So you found your birds?"

She nods, her posture and expression completely relaxed, "Yes, are they not beautiful?"

Thaïs approaches one, "Yes they are gorgeous Lyssa," you could swear the bird grins.

"Smart too," the mage adds with a parent's pride.

That gives you an idea, "Lyssa? If I wanted to send a message to Muirthemne to contact the rest of the group, could your eagles take it there?"

She considers the idea then nods, "Yes. I believe they could but you would need to give them a good description of the location you need them to take it to."

"Hmmm..." you reply.

"Something the matter Derryth?" she asks innocently.

"Yes," Thaïs answers for you, "We do not know exactly where we want the message to go. Only that the target is a medium sized compound somewhere in the city."

The three of you stand in silence for a minute then the idea dawns on you, "Ian! We send the message to Ian at his shop, then he can pass it on to Gareth at the compound wherever that is!"

"Ian?" your friend racks her memory, or rather yours, for someone matching that name. It takes her a moment but she remembers, "Oh! Henry's friend, of course."

She knows Ian is trustworthy and immediately agrees to the idea.

It seems like a good plan but doubts start to nibble at the edges of it, you mutter to yourself, "What if Ian is not there, what if his shop has burnt down, what if the eagle gets intercepted, what if..."

Lyssa grins, "You worry too much, my eagles are professionals," the eagle closest to you nods in agreement, "They can handle this but if you have concerns you could probably just use a normal messenger service."

It is something to consider and you would like to pursue the matter further but for the moment you have work to do, "At any rate we should get to work on today's enchantments."

Your two companions nod as the three of you make your way to someplace quiet to begin.

----------------------------------------------

Mr 'Levy', or rather Berty as he insists you call him, is an odd man. His eyes are alert, dancing back and forth as he instructs the girls in proper knife play and how to construct improvised deathtraps.

His large ears and bulbous nose give him the appearance of an entertainer when coupled with his pencil thin moustache. At first glance he seems something of a rogue or perhaps a fool but this is a man that knows his business.

In fact you hit it off almost immediately. Turns out he was a street urchin as well and the two of you are swapping stories about stealing bread and fighting in back alleys before an hour has passed.

"Well ya see now Derry, there is one thing and one thing only that I know well," he informes you as you watch him run the girls through a few drill, "I know how ta fight and ta kill the other guy with nothin more than some cheese-wire and an old sock and I know how to teach others ta do the same."

You are tempted to inform Berty that in fact that would constitute four or five separate things. Somehow you resist the urge.

"Well the girls do know how to fight already Mr. Levy," your friend replies.

He nods a couple times, "Please, please, call me Berty and I am sure they do at that!" he squints, "Yep, they sure do Taide. But here is what I am sayin ladies, they got blind spots. They fight too fair if you catch my meanin'. They have ta think like a scoundrel if they want ta beat a scoundrel ya get me?"

"Alright Berty, how does fighting like a scoundrel help them lead men in battle?" you naturally ask.

"Insight, ladies. Ya want to win then you have to be prepared ta fight with whatever ya got. A well trained group of irregulars can be absolutely devastating against a professional military force!" he grins as he walks away, ready to set up the next exercise for the girls.

He shouts over his shoulder as he disappears around the corner, "Besides, Derry, I thought ya already knew! All men are scoundrels! Ya got to be one ta lead some!"

"Well he certainly is interesting," Thaïs comments laughing.

"We do seem to have a knack for finding interesting people," you laugh along with her as you return to your quarters.

-------------------------------------------

That evening you receive an invitation from Albrecht himself.

You find him in his quarters at a large and marvellous table. He is back to his usual attire and behaviour; simple clothes, simple manners. He is playing cards with Argus and the Queen. Without a care in the world they invite you to join their game and even spot you a rather large sack of gold.

"I do not think you ladies have actually met my wife," he gestures to the two of you, "Eleanor, this is Derryth and Thaïs. If it were not for them my dear we would probably be dead by now," he laughs merrily and the Queen smiles at you.

She is noticeably younger than the king though you can not be sure how old either of them are really.

Albrecht then gestures to the Queen, "Derryth, Thaïs, this is the girl that makes me the happiest dwarf in the kingdom. She is my Queen, my light, my love, and I would do damn near anything for her. Eleanor dear why don't you say something."

"I would if you would stop rambling," she answers merrily as she turns her attention back to you, "If there is anything I or my husband can do for you then please just let us know. Really, anything at all."

The King nods, "Yes, you have done so much for us but you have not asked for a thing. Is there anything you desire. Name it and it is yours."

Silently you consider your options. Mayer mentioned property and assets available for those who could grab them, perhaps you should inquire about that.

Simple wealth never goes out of style either so that is an option.

During your few visits to the academy you got the feeling that the fellows were holding out on you. With a letter from the king you could compel them to share their knowledge with you. Though they might resent it.

The dwarven smiths are legendary, you could ask the king to pay for the creation of a unique item or items for you or your friends.

Of you could simply save such favours for the future.

You are not terribly sure what you should ask for. You look to your friend for guidance but she is overwhelmed as well. Looks like you will simply have to make a decision.

1. What do you ask for (this could easily become very complicated so some of the options will be dealt with further in the next update if chosen. They will be marked as such):

A) Confiscated Assets and Property -You will arrange to sit down with Albrecht and his agents to properly pour over the property lists and see if there is anything you want. There are a number of different assets available from mines and factories to warehouses, shipping houses, caravan routes and security companies. (A full list will be presented in the next update should this option win)

B) Wealth - You will request a payment from the more liquid assets seize by the government, gold, gems, and goods will be the order of the day. (All B choices are counted together, the most popular will be chosen.)

i. You request a modest payment - 200 WPs

ii. You request a respectable payment - 500 WPs

iii. You request a large payment - 1000 WPs

iv. You request the majority of the assets seized - 2500 WPs

v. 750 WPs

vi. freeform

C) You request a letter from the King giving you full access to the Royal Academy.

D) Custom Items - You will arrange to meet the royal craftsmen and enchanters to discuss the creation of one or more magical items. (A full list will be presented in the next update should this option win.

E) You will not ask for anything. You will save the favour for later.

F) You ask for permission to begin work on a stable Gate between Myrgard and the empire. The King will naturally have a few concerns so you might have to demonstrate the safety of the spells involved first.

G) freeform

2. Your Business Plan - You decided upon a course of action with Mayer during your meeting, what was it?

A) Properties - You instructed him to seize as much profitable property as he can while things are still chaotic. You will worry about what to do with it later. There are likely to be high start up costs but if you can get everything working you could generate a healthy revenue stream.

B) Profits - You instructed him to seize assets that you could then flip for maximum profit. The long term profits would be non existent as you would not be holding on to the properties but you stand to make a lot in the short term.

C) freeform - You gave him a more specific plan.

3. The Letter - You want to touch base with Gareth and the rest of your organization in Muirthemne. You will give Amena and Gareth instructions and ask for a status report.

A) You will send the letter by eagle.

B) you will send the letter by courier (3 WPs)

C) You will not send a letter.

D) You will send out two copies of the letter, one by courier and one by eagle. Hopefully this should ensure that no matter what one letter arrives safely and unaltered. (3 WPs)

E) freeform

4. The Letter Part 2 - Beyond a request for a status report and instructions to teach Ithapi to read what else do you want to include in the letter? (Any option that receives more than half the total votes will be included.

A) Warn them about Trakk

B) Ask them about the Crows or black riders

C) Warn them about Mazzarin

D) Warn them about The Faceless

E) Warn them about the Watcher, tell them to look out for contracts on hunting necromancers, see if they can gauge anything useful out of this

F) freeform

5. Supplies - You are out of Energon cubes but one of your attendants is willing to go shopping for you. Do you wish to purchase some? If you vote yes then just type how many you would like and how many will go to each person (Twelve Energon Cubes = 6 WPs)

A) Yes

B) No

6. Supplies - Requests, If you want any mundane equipment besides the Energon Cube then write it in and I will tell you the price. An item will require more than half of the total votes to be purchased.

A) Additional arrows for Uttu (1WP = 2 quivers)

B) Seven pieces of nice, basic jewelry. (5 WPs)

C) Seven pieces of cheap, basic jewelry. (1 WP)

D) The broken ether engine the brothers Dietfried own (200 WPs)

E) freeform

7. Freeform. Ask the King to arrange for help in casting the Greater Heal ritual on the remaining members of Trakk's family. Ensure the girl receives a treatment to heal her mind as well as her body. There are a few ways to go about this.

A) Do it yourself. You know at least enough to heal their bodies.

B) Track down the Heron Guard. They are known to be master healers and he may be able to help. He might have a few questions for you though and you should probably tread carefully around him.

C) Try to research the necessary spells with the help of the Royal Academy. They are no healers though it is a field they know little about.

D) You do not risk trying to help her.

E) freeform

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Party/Organization Changes:

Party Changes:

Lyssa:

Gained the following Pets:

2 Eagles

'Berty' Levy:

Joins as a Neutral Employee

Organizational Changes:
WPs lost:

1. 15 WPs to hire Mr. Levy

Monthly expenses increase:

1. 15 WPs a month for Mr Levy

The Following Known Factions were Destroyed:

1. The Honourable House of Eberhardt

2. The Barings

Reputation loss with the Following Factions:

1. The Brannons: -15

2. The Merchant 'Co-Prosperity' Consortium: -10

Reputation gain with the Following Factions:

1. The Goldsmith Guild: +40

Rolls:
Not too much this time as not a lot was require of Derryth and Co. and the trial was largly just for show as a result of previous decisions you made. In some of the paths you could have pursued the trial would have been a real trial that your 'side' could have lost but Eberhardt was completely screwed here.

About the only thing you did poorly on was the will checks when the ladies finally saw what happened to Trakk's family. It has been a while since Derryth failed one, let alone two, but I think it made things a little more interesting.

There were a couple of rolls that could have made things interesting had some of the parties involved done quite well but it did not happen so the trial went off exactly as Albrecht intended. He now has almost complete control over the Kingdom. Whether that s good or bad is I guess down to your perspective.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, that was disturbing. On more than one level.

I am undecided about the rewards. All I want is a starting capital, but I would not want to touch the assets that are left from the Eberhardts and their supporters.

2. Your Business Plan - You decided upon a course of action with Mayer during your meeting, what was it?
A) Properties - You instructed him to seize as much profitable property as he can while things are still chaotic. You will worry about what to do with it later. There are likely to be high start up costs but if you can get everything working you could generate a healthy revenue stream.

3. The Letter - You want to touch base with Gareth and the rest of your organization in Muirthemne. You will give Amena and Gareth instructions and ask for a status report.

4. The Letter Part 2 - Beyond a request for a status report and instructions to teach Ithapi to read what else do you want to include in the letter? (Any option that receives more than half the total votes will be included.
A) Warn them about Trakk
E) Freeform - Warn them about the Watcher, tell them to look out for contracts on hunting necromancers, see if they can gauge anything useful out of this

5. Supplies - You are out of Energon cubes but one of your attendants is willing to go shopping for you. Do you wish to purchase some? If you vote yes then just type how many you would like and how many will go to each person (Twelve Energon Cubes = 6 WPs)
A) Yes, 12 for each mage.

6. Supplies - Requests, If you want any mundane equipment besides the Energon Cube then write it in and I will tell you the price. An item will require more than half of the total votes to be purchased.

7. Freeform. Ask the King to arrange for help in casting the Greater Heal ritual on the remaining members of Trakk's family. Ensure the girl receives a treatment to heal her mind as well as her body. I don't know who would suit better for this case, if nobody fits, we will volunteer for this duty ourselves. Would make things more interesting with Trakk.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Thaïs beams confidently, "A little drink and those dwarves were willing to tell me all sorts of secrets. It turns out that House Eberhardt is in deep with a good portion of the Goldsmith Guild. Supposedly they were supplying the Eberhardt's with the financial support necessary to undermine the King. Mrs Baring was of the opinion that much of the guild will suffer the King's ire before long.
The Goldsmith Guild has been decimated, even those fools, the Barings, did not escape, dead to the last dwarf.
And then...
Reputation gain with the Following Factions:
1. The Goldsmith Guild: +40
How is that possible?

"And you say that a mercenary told you this?" he asks.

You nod, "Yes, a friend. We contracted his help to deal with the Oneiroi, demon worshipers, operating out of the city."

"Interesting," he squints, "I should like to meet this man. I shall have him summoned, leave the contact information with my clerk. Now, how did he find out about this?"
Albrecht have ordered Ceannard summoned before him. Was there a follow up to that?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
How is that possible?

When everyone that does not like you dies you are left with the people that either like you or have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Nevill said:
E) Freeform - Warn them about the Watcher, tell them to look out for contracts on hunting necromancers, see if they can gauge anything useful out of this

Added

Nevill said:
A) Yes, 12

Do you want Derryth to take them all are do you want to split them up?

Nevill said:
7. Freeform. Ask the King to arrange for help in casting the Greater Heal ritual on the remaining members of Trakk's family. Ensure the girl receives a treatment to heal her mind as well as her body. I don't know who would suit better for this case, if nobody fits, we will volunteer for this duty ourselves. Would make things more interesting with Trakk.

Added

Nevill said:
A) Additional arrows for Uttu (at least 2 more quivers)

Added, 2 quivers for 1 WP

Nevill said:
B) Basic jewelry for the purposes of casting enchantments. For everyone in the party, the quantity should depend on how much enchantments we can maintain.

For now I will cap it at seven pieces (one enchantment a day). If you want something that looks nice you could do it for 5 WPs if you want it as cheap as possible then you could do it for 1 WP. I will add both options.

Nevill said:
Albrecht have ordered Ceannard summoned before him. Was there a follow up to that?

He has not found the man yet. Ceannard is not an idiot, he has disappeared for the time being.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
A) Do it yourself. You know at least enough to heal their bodies.

B) Track down the Heron Guard. They are known to be master healers and he may be able to help. He might have a few questions for you though and you should probably be carefully around him.

C) Try to research the necessary spells with the help of the Royal Academy. They are no healers though it is a field they know little about.
Can you get into more detail about this? What spells are necessary for research? What do we need the Heron Guard for?

I guess it is because the ritual is not mastered yet and we are unsure of how to cast it?

The question talks about healing their bodies, but as mentalists, can we also help them with... uh, mental issues?

Do you want Derryth to take them all are do you want to split them up?
Split them, of course. As usual.

How high are the start up costs, and what revenue we are looking at? Can Mayer give a rough estimate? For example, for every 100 WP invested we are looking at a 5 WP montly income. 2 years for covering the initial investment costs are not unfathomable, hell, with bigger properties and Mayer's business sense it might take even shorter.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Can you get into more detail about this?

Sure, it might take me a bit of time to properly plot it out though as it was a freeform question.

In A you will attempt to do this yourself based on the theory you think you understand (you do not have the spell mastered after all and you have never even attempted to cast it before). You will use Albrecht to get as many mandrake roots as you can, you will then link up with your other two mages and cast the spell to restore Trakk's son and granddaughter.

If it works then they should recover somewhat but there is a lot f damage and it may take multiple castings to heal them. If it does not work it should not harm them but it could permanently cripple you or your friends or it may kill one or all of you.

In B you will try to track down that Heron Guard. It is possible that he knows the spell or could at least help you cast it. You would still need the mandrake roots from Albrecht but your odds should improve. Now you are a tomb raider (and technically a criminal) traveling in the company of at least one other criminal, a suspected murderer, a former necromancer and a trio of former cultists... oh and a sleeping Fallen Lord. At first blush you would be considered his enemy, that may be a problem, it may not or it may never even come up but the risk is there.

In C you take the problem to the academy. They have very little experience with healing magic but they may be able to help you perfect your spell and they may even be able to find different and easier ways to power it. But who knows you could also be wasting your time.

Now if you succeed in restoring their bodies without getting yourself killed we can then talk about addressing any mental problems they may have. There are two ways you could go about that. There are probably healing spells designed to fix the mind though you would need to find someone skilled in healing magic to help you with that. Alternatively you could try to use your mental spells to remove, alter or hide memories that are particularly damaging and 'fix' them that way. You would likely have to erase their memories of being tortured and replace them with false memories perfectly crafted to fit the hole you would create.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. C)
2. B)
3. D)

A)
B)
E)

A)
Thirty six, twelve each.

A)
B)

7.C)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, if we were afraid of the Heron Guard, we should never come back to Muirthemne that is ruled by Alric who would order us dead if any of this comes up.

We are a grave robber, but our past is our own. Our companions will not involve themselves with him, it's just us and Thais. Nine being a Fallen Lord is a secret that even our circle does not know, and we never publicized her existence.

We have saved his life, we are fighting the same battle against the Dark, and from what I have heard, Albrecht has good ties with the Empire, and can put a word in for us if the Guard has any doubts. Since we are now heroes of the kingdom, I see little harm in getting acquaintanced with him. Just... don't open your mind to him, and you should be fine.

To tell the truth, I wanted to meet the man for a while now. Perhaps it is fate.

7. Freeform. Ask the King to arrange for help in casting the Greater Heal ritual on the remaining members of Trakk's family. Ensure the girl receives a treatment to heal her mind as well as her body. There are a few ways to go about this.

B) Track down the Heron Guard. They are known to be master healers and he may be able to help. He might have a few questions for you though and you should probably be carefully around him.

Though if there is a way to minimize the risks to ourselves by having an external power source for the spell, we should probably look into that, too. It may take some time, but we are in no hurry for a while.

Oh, and have the girls work on mastering Heal as well.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
1 C
2 A
3 A
4 A+B
5 12 for each of the 3 mages.
6 Nevill's suggestion.
7 Nevill's suggestion.

Nevill

Arcane
As for the rewards, I will keep the favor, because there is nothing I currently want on the list.

1. What do you ask for (this could easily become very complicated so some of the options will be dealt with further in the next update if chosen. They will be marked as such):
E) You will not ask for anything. You will save the favour for later.

I would like to take a loan, though, to be able to cover the 2A part, and make use of the returns to pay off the loan with time.

0,1% monthly interest sounds so miniscule, it is basically free money. From every 1000 WP on loan, we pay one monthly. Meanwhile, they will make us tens, if not hundreds.

I'll also ament my shopping vote:
5. Supplies
A) Yes, 12 for each mage, up to a total of 36.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Guys, if we want to make use of the Academy (to request their help with the ritual, or to have them research the Oneiroi spell - remember that Melete is still a vegetable), we probably should not antagonize them. Just a heads up:
During your few visits to the academy you got the feeling that the fellows were holding out on you. With a letter from the king you could compel them to share their knowledge with you. Though they might resent it.
Let's think about it in the long term and earn their trust the hard way. No mage likes being forced to share.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Damn that's a lot of choices. Fangshi, if we decide to go for long-term profits with properties, how will the money be delivered to us in Muirthemne? And is there no option to take a bit of money and get something else in addition, or do we have to go one or the other here?
A>Biii>Biv>C

Caravan routes and security companies sounds like something we could utilise.

If not, a huge lump sum payment so we can cut our ties entirely with the dwarves and go and live it up in human lands.

Failing all that, learning how to craft permanent enchantments would be invaluable.

This gets complicated. I want to aim for profits if for A or C win the first vote, property if B wins.

C>A - I don't want anyone reading this letter. We should have set up a cipher.

A, B, E - Nothing the Pathfinders don't already know about. Anything else is asking for it.

A - Always be prepared, 12 (total)

A, B - Why not? Good practice. Plus we can't look drab.

C>A - Excellent! Lab rats to practice on!

I think voting for C1 AND aiming for properties is paradoxically short-sighted here. I'm not one to deny aiming for personal power by any means, but we're heading towards bankruptcy in the short-term as it is. Flip the properties for a profit, get the cash out there, then concentrate our efforts in Muirthemne to really start generating wealth. Or, cash out here, buy a few properties with Mayer to diversify, then move back to Muirthemne and buy up the place. One thing that would work well with flipping properties for profit in Muirthemne and studying at the Academy is the potential to craft permanent enchantments back in Muirthemne. It should make us more money than the properties in the long-term and give us the seed money we'll need to get started. Because who knows how much wealth we're going to waste on properties that will take years to turn a profit, with the potential for bandits to take our gold on raids as it gets tranported to us.

That and again, I don't like having a main revenue source so far from our base of operations. At least with A1 we can acquire a bunch of security and traveling caravans so that we're not tied to one place.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter

A) Confiscated Assets and Property -You will arrange to sit down with Albrecht and his agents to properly pour over the property lists and see if there is anything you want. There are a number of different assets available from mines and factories to warehouses, shipping houses, caravan routes and security companies. (A full list will be presented in the next update should this option win)

B)

A) Warn them about Trakk

A) Yes, 12 for each mage.

B)

Nevill

Arcane
Anybody has any good ideas for supplies?

We've been sitting on The Spinner for a while now. Maybe it is time to find a nice tailorsmith who can work with metal, and make our first silksteel chainmail? :)

Jester

Arbiter
Hm btw how much was the gate power source? If we will get proper infrastructure we might be able to make hard to detect gate. It dont have to be directly in capital it still would cut lots of travel time. If we will place gate hub in kingdom eventual hostile takeover attempts would have to deal with Albrecht, after all we are his allies. He might even be interested with making sure that this permanent gate will work. Dwarf kingdom exit shouldn't be problem i am more concerned with empire exit.

Jester

Arbiter
Anybody has any good ideas for supplies?

We've been sitting on The Spinner for a while now. Maybe it is time to find a nice tailorsmith who can work with metal, and make our first silksteel chainmail? :)
Chain bikini you wanted to say? Dont those usually have best AC somehow?
:smug:
Distraction is good defence i guess.

Nevill

Arcane
200 WPs, and it is broken. We must also wake Melete before we can do anything with it, since it's broken.

And a hard to detect Gate is a bit tricky if you use it for public transportation purposes.

It should be acceptable for private use, though.

Smashing Axe said:
I think voting for C1 AND aiming for properties is paradoxically short-sighted here. I'm not one to deny aiming for personal power by any means, but we're heading towards bankruptcy in the short-term as it is.
Dude, the King found himself with more money than he could ever spare. We can take giant loans and invest them in whatever we like. The percentages we have to pay are so low,. they are basically non-existant.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I'm with Neville on the loan. Let's put his money into a sweep account and rehypothecate that bitch.

Jester

Arbiter
200 WPs, and it is broken. We must also wake Melete before we can do anything with it, since it's broken.

And a hard to detect Gate is a bit tricky if you use it for public transportation purposes.

It should be acceptable for private use, though.
Mby it dont have to be hard to detect after all. If we will get a permission from Empire administration and Kingdom administration to open gate with lets say 10-15% cut of toll we will get on gate. We will still have monopol on profits from it and possible additional gain from Assets we could pass through it.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
1.( A if not using loan money in 2.A) else Bv 750 wp > Biii > E. If we are asking for cash a quarter of the haul seems about right. Added as Bv
2. (A bought with loan money and not 1.A) else B
3. A
4. ABE. No fallen lord 'friends' discussion.
5. A. 12x for each girl. 18wp
6. BA
7. B > A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom