Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sell me on Gothic 1 and the series in general!

nilco

Novice
Why do people insist im someones alt? Last time a year or so ago I posted people where saying sup drog or draq or some name with D.

Data4

Arcane
Why do people insist im someones alt? Last time a year or so ago I posted people where saying sup drog or draq or some name with D.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but here's what led to my post. You posted a couple times saying "bros" and "brethren", and the first thing I thought was "Okay, either someone's main handle got banned or this is just an alt for the hell of it." Your post count is low, so it wouldn't take long to have a look at your posting history to see if you've left any other clues, intentional or otherwise. When I read them, I figured that no one really would say dumb shit like you did unless it was an alt troll account. Since I'd like to think that new posters would lurk a little and get a feel for the fucked up community around here before posting, AND coupled with your join date, my only conclusion is that you were an alt account created a year and a half ago that someone decided to dust off and have a little fun with. And no, this isn't to say that all posters newer than 20** are dumbfucks/alts/not worth shitting on. The ones who don't stick out like a sore thumb usually show that they get this place. You don't seem to. It's not too late. You'll either figure it out or wash out.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Are we forgetting that Gothic 2 had a brothel too? Having a brothel in a port town makes sense. Sailors come, sell their goods and then have fat pockets. What better way to spend the money than on women, especially after being on a long voyage without seeing a female for weeks? It's a very profitable endeavor. Just think of it from the perspective of the prostitutes: they don't have any other means of making a living. Most money will be made by fishing and trading and women won't be allowed into those roles. It's basic ecology, really.

I have nothing against brothels, in the games worlds at least. Thing is, not many games out there tries to be... hm... less jolly colorful, less - "cartonish" - but that's is bad world... maybe better "teenageish" or "hurra-testosteronenish". G1 was one of them. Prison settings was a memorable thingie (and more attractive than main story about Sleeper, Xardas - usual magical weak sauce). First Riddick comes to mind, also. Or Stalker. "No women" sign is just a metaphor of that spirit. It's not meant to be taken literally.

Ps. Brothel was also found in the biggest concentration camp of WW2. Humans can be merciless monsters and games rarely goes that way, showing rather "glory of death" and "reason of death" than "death of all reason"...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are we forgetting that Gothic 2 had a brothel too? Having a brothel in a port town makes sense. Sailors come, sell their goods and then have fat pockets. What better way to spend the money than on women, especially after being on a long voyage without seeing a female for weeks? It's a very profitable endeavor. Just think of it from the perspective of the prostitutes: they don't have any other means of making a living. Most money will be made by fishing and trading and women won't be allowed into those roles. It's basic ecology, really.

I have nothing against brothels, in the games worlds at least. Thing is, not many games out there tries to be... hm... less jolly colorful, less - "cartonish" - but that's is bad world... maybe better "teenageish" or "hurra-testosteronenish". G1 was one of them. Prison settings was a memorable thingie (and more attractive than main story about Sleeper, Xardas - usual magical weak sauce). First Riddick comes to mind, also. Or Stalker. "No women" sign is just a metaphor of that spirit. It's not meant to be taken literally.

Have you played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Hell, even better might be King's Field 4 for this (it apparently works well on a PS2 emulator). These are all bleak games that don't fall into the western 90's pitfalls of trying to be dark and edgy with gratuitous rape and violence. They do excellent jobs at providing dark fantasy worlds that feel ghastly and not like it's trying too hard to be cool (Dragon Age). It's not the same as the mining colony in Gothic 1, but it has similar vibes. You are very much alone in a new and almost alien environment. Everything is hostile and lethally dangerous, and those who don't seem hostile may very well end up turning against you at some point. In the end no one is your friend and all you have is you and your wits.

Ps. Brothel was also found in the biggest concentration camp of WW2. Humans can be merciless monsters and games rarely goes that way, showing rather "glory of death" and "reason of death" than "death of all reason"...

Again, the Souls games make this a point. Maybe Demon's Souls more. No matter how honorable the knight is, eventually he'll fall into madness and his only option will be to try and murder everyone he can for precious souls. One of the "boss fights" is a woman who is a Saint of some faith. She doesn't actually fight you, she just wants you to go away and leave her and her lover, a knight, in peace. They keep pleading you to just turn back. Instead you slaughter the knight trying to protect her and then as you go kill her next she instead will commit suicide rather than let you butcher her. And all this because you want her soul just so you can survive.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Ah, I see. I hadn't played many console game (SH1 only), but I know Dark Souls will by available on the PC (according to wikipedia lore, so... who knows...). Thanks for recommendation, anyway. I just very like climates that you descried above and I'm gladly hunting them down.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

I started Gothic today for the first time. I don't need to be sold on the series as I played and completed Gothic 2 back in the day (and Risen), but I never got around to the original until now. I find the controls quite fine actually, despite being told for years I would hate them. Holding Mouse1 and pushing 'w' to do shit is weird, but whatever.

My biggest issue right now is that it seems like... how do I put this... the same fucking game as Gothic 2 and Risen. Does it differentiate itself more? I am only at the Old Camp so obviously I have barely begun, but I just want to make sure the story, setting and such have enough of their own personality that I shouldn't just be replaying Gothic 2 instead. 'Cause a big part of me is thinking it would more awesome to just replay Gothic 2.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmmm, that would explain why I didn't like Risen. Maybe it's like this: you can only enjoy 2 out of those 3 games. After that they are too samey for you to like the third one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I won't argue against that. Risen is an amalgam of the first two Gothics. Of course that still makes it a better ARPG than 95% of the shit released in the last few years.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My biggest issue right now is that it seems like... how do I put this... the same fucking game as Gothic 2 and Risen. Does it differentiate itself more? I am only at the Old Camp so obviously I have barely begun, but I just want to make sure the story, setting and such have enough of their own personality that I shouldn't just be replaying Gothic 2 instead. 'Cause a big part of me is thinking it would more awesome to just replay Gothic 2.

It's basically the same game with different content (and with technical differences, like graphics quality). If you prefer G2's content to G1's then there is no reason to continue playing G1 and not to replay G2 instead, but I would advise to give G1 a chance, it is pretty good in its own right (content-wise).

Hmmm, that would explain why I didn't like Risen. Maybe it's like this: you can only enjoy 2 out of those 3 games. After that they are too samey for you to like the third one.
Not really, I liked G1, G2 and Risen 1.

I haven't played any other PB games, though.

Gozma

Arcane
I got much more "immersed" in G1 just because it's such a complete, self-contained narrative (at least the first half). The faction choice feels like it has meaningful narrative weight to it. It defines the character of your Gothic Guy. It falls apart later when it turns into linear epic tomb raider, of course.

G2 you start off and you're instantly hit with a bunch of epic apocalyptic shit and "IN LAST WEEK'S EPISODE WITH ALL THE CHARACTERS YOU KNOW AND LOVE..." Choices didn't feel like character building, just arbitrary content blocks that you decide based on stuff like "builds". It 100% wasn't a dealbreaker in G2 - I played it first, and really liked it, then backtracked to G1 - and I can enjoy a game a lot even without getting that sense of reality (e.g. I just played Dark Souls non-stop even though the PC was absolutely never anything but a mannequin to me). But it's really special when it's there, and it's the reason I like stuff like MotB so much.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
I stuck with it through most of G3. I realize now it was mostly due to peer pressure. G1 is interesting to explore and stuff, but I would not bother with 2 let alone 3.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
G1 has a much more coherent world and narrative than any other PB game. For example, you can somewhat accept lack of children anywhere in the world in G1, the world being a prison colony and all, but it is a bit of an immersion-breaker in later games.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't understand the need to be 'sold' anything. Does not the OP have free will and a modicum of intelligence to make their own decisions? Why not just play the fucking games and see for yourself?

If I took Codex advice on what is a good game to play, I'd probably be left with 1 or 2 games to choose from at best.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

I started Gothic today for the first time. I don't need to be sold on the series as I played and completed Gothic 2 back in the day (and Risen), but I never got around to the original until now. I find the controls quite fine actually, despite being told for years I would hate them. Holding Mouse1 and pushing 'w' to do shit is weird, but whatever.

:rpgcodex: necroing this shitty thread wasn't a great move.

Anyway,

When it comes to atmosphere and narrative, G1 is better than G2. It's much more tight and focused and the prison colony setting is more interesting in general. Keep at it.

eremita

Savant
The gothic series is a worthless piece of dung. Don't even bother.

No.

Hai codex bros, I just started playing gothic 1 yesterday, did 5 quest in old camp 1 in sect camp, and today I totally dont want to start the game up, but I wanna beat it because everyone says the gothic series is amazing. The controls dont bother me to much but its the run of the mill story about saving the world and the bad setting of the prison camp that makes me not wanna play it.

So please sell me on gothic 1 and the other games, explain what makes the games great, and share your stories of adventure so I wanna play!

You either love it or you hate it. For me it was the feeling. Scared to go out in the woods at night, because the wolves would rape you. Everyone tries to scam you into something. Some bully you into cleaning their house, etc. Then things evolve, and you get stronger, and stronger, and you come back and 1hit-kill every one of them who gave you shit. Sweet revenge. Almost every game that PB made has that feeling, it's basically their signature. That and some gameplay ruining bugs ;)
:bro:

mondblut

Arcane
You get to become the owner of the only 3 females in the gameworld.

...and that's about it. Mildly playable for a Tomb Raider clone without boobs.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Either stand up and play Gothic, or stay on your knees and continue sucking Todd Howard's dong.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I'm not a huge fan of Gothic's controls, game mechanics, quest design, visual style, writing, story or game world. Still, it's pretty much the blueprint for how to get open world in games absolutely right. It must also be applauded for its willingness to humiliate goody-two-shoes low-level characters with no second thoughts, which is something that all games should do. I can't say it's among my favorite games but I do love it all the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom